Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your tipping point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Want old tech? Buy an old car. They look great, are plenty fast, and have better resale value.
There is a trend towards more nanny features. These can be intrusive, distracting and annoying. Some examples of what I mean:

Lane assist tugs at the wheel like an annoying passenger at all times when crossing a line. It has been known to misread brightly lit tar strips.

Forward collision avoidance slams on the brakes when it feels like it. It can be activated by bad or out of calibration sensors. There are reports that cars become unusable on narrow winding country roads. There are also reports of it activating randomly at highway speeds creating a dangerous situation.

If the car senses "door open" it locks the electric "handbrake" and the car is immobilized. Faulty door latch can cause this.

Car chimes loudly to tell me it's 4 deg C outside. It's Canada. It's winter. I know what the temperature is.

I don't hate all tech features. I like the backup camera, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, for instance.

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 01-08-2019 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I want around 500 hp in the z51 dct model with mrc, npp for around 70 large.
t

RapidC84B (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
There is a trend towards more nanny features. These can be intrusive, distracting and annoying. Some examples of what I mean:

Lane assist tugs at the wheel like an annoying passenger at all times when crossing a line. It has been known to misread brightly lit tar strips.

Forward collision avoidance slams on the brakes when it feels like it. It can be activated by bad or out of calibration sensors. There are reports that cars become unusable on narrow winding country roads. There are also reports of it activating randomly at highway speeds creating a dangerous situation.

If the car senses "door open" it locks the electric "handbrake" and the car is immobilized. Faulty door latch can cause this.

I don't hate all tech features. I like the backup camera, parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, for instance.

Car chimes loudly to tell me it's 4 deg C outside. It's Canada. It's winter. I know what the temperature is.
Agreed. Some of these features can be annoying. However, almost all of them can be turned off in new cars, especially if you buy a higher end European car. Ford and Chevy seem afraid to let the consumer make their own choices. Ex: In a Ford or Chysler you can't manually enter an address into a GPS while moving. But in many European cars such as Volvo and BMW, you can. There is no law saying that you have to disable manual entry while the car is moving, Ford and Chrysler just thought you shouldn't so they took the option away. I won't buy a car from a company that feels they should determine how I drive it. What is safer is irrelevant.

In any event, it won't matter because we are entering the last generation of self driving cars, at least on public roads. Soon, every car will have autopilot features and manual drive will be a setting for emergencies. Like it or not, it's coming.

Change is slow though and normally doesn't cross generations too much. So whatever driving style you have now, you will still have available in 40 years, even if it is no longer the norm. May have to buy an older car to accomodate that style though.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 01-08-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Want old tech? Buy an old car. They look great, are plenty fast, and have better resale value.
There is a difference between "new tech" and "excessive tech". I don't need my car to drive for me, open the doors, and make me coffee. I want it light, fast, and relatively simple. I feel the C5/6 really hit the mark here. The C7 has too much content (I understand why), but it's 300 lbs heavier than a comparable C5/6 even with extensive use of light-weight materials. I would love a C8 with a NA V8 and stick shift sans a bunch of silly fuel savings crap. One can wish.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
JoesC5 (01-08-2019), OnPoint (01-08-2019), Viper (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Agreed. Some of these features can be annoying. However, almost all of them can be turned off in new cars, especially if you buy a higher end European car. .
Mine's a 2018 VW Golf R. It shares many features with the Audi line.

Of the 4 annoying features I listed, only lane assist can be turned off.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,803 Likes on 4,235 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

1. Looks
2. Price in the used car market
3. Will have be homeruns in 1&2 to not have a manual gearbox

There are very few vehicles I would buy brand new primarily because my interests change quite often (23 cars in 25 years), and one of the things I have always loved about Corvettes is the pristine garage queens you can buy when those owners jump to the new model. It may take awhile to find exactly what I want for what I want to pay, but thankfully I have lots of other things going on in life than to worry about being the first with something new So if the C8 turns out to have killer looks (spy shots have me very worried about this ) & comes in a color I want, I'll look for one in a couple years to add to my Grand Sport.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
There is a difference between "new tech" and "excessive tech". I don't need my car to drive for me, open the doors, and make me coffee. I want it light, fast, and relatively simple. I feel the C5/6 really hit the mark here. The C7 has too much content (I understand why), but it's 300 lbs heavier than a comparable C5/6 even with extensive use of light-weight materials. I would love a C8 with a NA V8 and stick shift sans a bunch of silly fuel savings crap. One can wish.
The C5 was just about a perfect car. It needed a nicer shift ***, especially on the automatic, that giant button is very dated. More stylish door handles as well. And, it would have really been nice to get a ZR-1 version as the C5 changed very little except for the ZO6.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 01-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Mine's a 2018 VW Golf R. It shares many features with the Audi line.

Of the 4 annoying features I listed, only lane assist can be turned off.
Volvo lets you turn them all completely off except for automatic braking in an emergency. Very annoying when you are trying to tailgate.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You're nuts. The C8R sounds great. And every single C8 will be partially automatic, just like the options available from Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
This is not a flattering sound:
Old 01-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Roscoe Primrose
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Volvo lets you turn them all completely off except for automatic braking in an emergency. Very annoying when you are trying to tailgate.
Not tailgating, drafting

Roscoe
Atari_Prime (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,803 Likes on 4,235 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by lrobe22

https://youtu.be/fbUBMpl2DuY
Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Absolute deal sealers to make me purchase one at MSRP+ at launch:
  1. 550HP+ in base form
  2. DCT with lightning fast shifts (ala Porsche PDK)
  3. Spider version with retractable hard top
Absolute deal killers and no way am I ever getting an ME C8
  1. No popup headlamps
  2. No round tail lights
  3. Cup holders that will not secure at least a 44 oz cup at 1.2 g's
Old 01-08-2019, 04:32 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

...and after ALL that above, I'll still wait two MY's before I buy.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

$100,000.00
Old 01-08-2019, 04:55 PM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 228 Posts

No cup holders
Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by lrobe22

https://youtu.be/fbUBMpl2DuY
You're right, it is amazing.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
...and after ALL that above, I'll still wait two MY's before I buy.
As long as I can buy one less -20% MSRP (as I did my new C7) - then I'm in too.

Get notified of new replies

To What's your tipping point?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

The C5 was just about a perfect car. It needed a nicer shift ***, especially on the automatic, that giant button is very dated. More stylish door handles as well. And, it would have really been nice to get a ZR-1 version as the C5 changed very little except for the ZO6.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
As long as I can buy one less -20% MSRP (as I did my new C7) - then I'm in too.
Maybe MY 2022.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

I completely agree with Lane keep assist and Automatic braking as dangerous "safety" features. I test drove a BMW with LKA and found the turning of the steering wheel when the system senses a lane departure, to be intrusive and dangerous because a car should go where directed, instead of going where a computer thinks you should be going. In a rental car I drove, the LKA chimes were useless and completely annoying, going off even when I was within the lanes.

I have to say adaptive cruise control is a great feature though. The others I would like to throw away and I am happy the C7 doesn't have these useless and dangerous safety features and hope the C8 doesn't have them too.

Last edited by fumbling; 01-08-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: What's your tipping point?