Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, well, well...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

It is asinine that an article would speculate about a mid engine Cadillac just because there is a key fob floating around out there with a Cadillac logo. Even if such a keyfob will exist in the real world, does it occur to anyone that it might just be a keyfob design that is being used for existing cars? Doesn't the article's author understand that keyfobs that look similar can be used to control completely different-looking cars?

The article is just plain dumb and proves that clickbait absolutely works because there are so many gullible people out there.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Look at all of the articles recently written based on threads started on this forum regarding price, types of models, reveal date, etc.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Bosscobra
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark
My mind wonders where is Caddy going to build such a car so that the build is done correctly? If this Caddy were to go into production at an assembly plant that didn’t have the skills that the Corvette plant has in KY, it could give the ME negative reviews as flaws start popping up on the Caddy. Way too soon to have Caddy take the ME and run with it.
My second wonder is, who is Caddy building this car for? Most guys that like Caddy’s like Corvettes and see the two cars as different animals. Likely such a ME Caddy would be for old men and woman and not adventurous men and woman who want the real deal, and would buy the Corvette without giving a ME Caddy a second thought. Personally, I have always liked Caddy and I’m in the process of buying a ST5 as my 4 seat car. Both cars are a joy to own and drive but are light years different.
Good luck with that ST5......that will be quite a process
Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosscobra
Good luck with that ST5......that will be quite a process
LOL, let me do that again, XT5, didn’t notice I was little high to the left.

Last edited by Idaho Mark; 01-08-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ACCHRM
THERE REALLY NEEDS TO BE A FILTER FOR THESE DUMB *** THREADS. RANDOM PEOPLE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ALLOWED TO POST THREADS AND THEY NEED TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMIN FIRST.
These pages are getting ridiculously flooded with crap, most of these with the questions they have sounds like they are written by 11 year olds. smh
Lol, I was just thinking, I refuse to block a member so I dont see their posts but I would love to be able to block certain threads! Hahaha, how hypocritical is that. I wont black a person, but many. It would clean this section up a bunch for me.

PC
Old 01-18-2019, 02:39 PM
StormHunter77
Cruising

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That reminds me a little of the Allante up front. I don't think the taillights would be that big and bulky. I wouldn't mind Cadillac CT8. I made that name up, but it seemed fitting.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:16 PM
TnRZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Notice where it says mid engine C8 if you click that link it says something about C8 Zorra released early 2019.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ACCHRM
THERE REALLY NEEDS TO BE A FILTER FOR THESE DUMB *** THREADS. RANDOM PEOPLE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ALLOWED TO POST THREADS AND THEY NEED TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMIN FIRST.
These pages are getting ridiculously flooded with crap, most of these with the questions they have sounds like they are written by 11 year olds. smh

I said this same thing a few weeks ago and was criticized for attempting to curtail free speech and whatever else. You're absolutely right. The level of discourse is ridiculous. The number of trolls is through the roof with these stupid, utterly ridiculous posts that detract from actual intelligent conversation. The problem is that this is a 'free' forum supported by clicks on ads so the moderators probably feel that more is merrier.

If they're not going to moderate then give us the option to block.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA

If they're not going to moderate then give us the option to block.
1. Select your Username at top right of page
2. Select User Control Panel
3. Select Edit Ignore List
4. Add your favorites

Last edited by drs; 01-21-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

pic looks good
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Jerri, are you saying the press has too much influence?
Blame it all on the press, good thinking. Hey, worked for Hitler.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:59 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
If that's the case then I'll be ordering my New 2020 Porsche very soon.
Yeah Man, Bend over for around $150,000 and get yourself the ugliest sports car money can buy!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Id be all for a full boat loaded cadillac folding hardtop with as much sound deadening, luxury technology as humanly possible.

i dont care for the sketches in this thread and Id never buy the cadillac version of the c8...

but if it could help the gm bottom line Im all for it.

personally I think the deal with rivian ev with distribution through the cadillac network is a better way to create a halo for the cadillac brand.

the days of audis R8 as a halo vehicle for the audi brand have long since past. Not because the R8 is a failed vehicle..its that the luxury market has mived on from rear mid engine luxury sports cars as a halo vehicle...

jmo...rivian could hold an amazing value for brand escalation for cadillac..

either in product or shared technology that None of us know yet.

smart mive by gm...

invest in a tesla competitor and reap the rewards ..

im not quite sure a full aquisition is the best move
Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I believe that at one time Cadillac did have a sports car design in the works. I also believe that when Jon went, so did the remake of the XLR.
That said, a look at Cadillac's track record with sports cars is similar to looking at the success of the Edsel. The Alliente had numerous problems and was overpriced which led to its downfall. The XLR is a good looking car built on the C5 chassis (not the C6 as stated in the article). Then the brilliant minds at Cadillac decided to install the heavy, old Northstar engine instead of the very reliable LS1. You may recall Corvette engineers rejected the Northstar as too large and too heavy for the Corvette. That was a huge mistake on the part of Cadillac. The beautiful XLR died due to lack of sales. I would not mind having another Cadillac sports car provided the folks at Cadillac understand they are not the GM experts on sports cars. They need to get Corvette engineers to help with the design.
As others have said, Cadillac is probably focused on SUV/CUVs and EVs. That's where they belong.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 AM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter105
Notice it says BASED ON THE UP COMING C8 CORVETTE

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/cadill...-ar183681.html
Pathetic!
Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the allante was so stupid for ,sending the body to Italy and back

private airliners [747 cargo],then finish the build here

who ever thought this up should have been thrown out of said airline at 30,000ft
The following users liked this post:
John T (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Cadillac Salesman - "Well, no, with the folding top, it doesn't have much space for golf clubs - but you'll love the ME low moment of inertia."

Potential Cadillac ME Customer - Blank stare

Get notified of new replies

To Well, well, well...

Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
Fine with me, give caddy a cushed out, sound deadened, every lux option GM can stick in it. Give Corvette a focused performance car, if it's not for going quicker leave it out.

PC
Originally Posted by Idaho Mark
My mind wonders where is Caddy going to build such a car so that the build is done correctly???? Where else - where they built the prior Caddy version of the Vette - Bowling Green! Heck they are going to build the Caddy Backwing engine there, which IMO a variant will be in the Corvette C8.
Yep ~3 years ago a forum poster who appeared to have some information said Caddy Engineers were given the C8 project (probably to make a Caddy version.) At the time I said about the same as now as complaints have gotten worse by some owners with the introduction of the Grand Sport. I'll explain:

From the intro of the C7 folks complained about the summer only tires (try buying a Porsche or Ferrari without them!) They also complained about the excess brake dust in the Z51. A number wanted a "softer ride." Many wanted more sound insulation.

Got worse then The Grand Sport was introduced as about half the cars purchased were Grand Sports as folks "like the look!" Could never understand someone saying that about those front Spats! I bought mine because it had wider tires and from the time I got my early Z51 felt the tires were a bit anemic same width as my C6 Z51 with more power and most important more low end torque with the LT1's variable came timing. I bought it for performance and hit over 1" lateral acceleration from time to time.

The Grand Sport brake pads like the Z51/Z06 have the same excess dust as they can be used for Tracking. I also switched the brake pads to ceramic as soon as I got it home as I was cleaning my Z51 black wheel every 100/150 miles until I put on ceramic pads. If I tracked would do the same and swap pads.

So the Caddy C8 variant will have, IMO:
  • All season tires on cast aluminum wheels that can go over pot holes without cracking!
  • Lots of insulation so they can hear the upscale Bang & Olufsen sound system (they don't care about adding 150 lbs!)
  • Real leather on more than just the seating surface that is on the 3LT
  • Softer springs and sway bars that don't look like axles as on my Grand Sport.
  • Brake pads that aren't dusty as folks buying the Caddy/C8 won't be Tracking.
  • Blind Sport detection and front and rear radar.
  • Perhaps the can add a "Paint Correction Option" of the finished car for those willing to pay for it!

There is a market for those features and enough folks who can afford the extra cost!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Darion (02-17-2019), roadbike56 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:46 AM
setkiki
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with you.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't know if a Caddy ME makes sense in today's market.
I would love to see one though.
….
Anyway, from the very first speculation concerning the C8 on this forum, there was talk of a Caddy ME.
I thought there would be one too...it made sense to me.
I believe it was part of the ME's original corporate strategy.
In a quote in the media, the former Prez of Cadillac practically admitted as much.
Whether or not it still is, I dunno.
Originally Posted by marknagy13
That whole article is based on the leak of a key fob that may or may not be real....

No spy shots, no test mules, nothing else....
This has been speculated for several years and MORE it was reported Caddy engineers were working on the project 3 years ago when the C7 still had years to be sold. BUT no doubt there was a GM design team working on the C8. The engineering effort to build an ME doesn't happen overnight! This is article was based on what the Caddy Pres said at the time, not a key FOB that was posted ~2 years ago.

From a marketing standpoint Caddy makes sense for what I'll call the upscale C8 for those that will never see close to a 1 "g" lateral acceleration. It can satisfy all those that want all-season tires and go over pot holes without their heavier wheels breaking, brake pads that don't dust, a softer ride, real leather on more than the seating surface of a 3LT. They will more sound insulation for an upscale sound system (need that 150lbs of insulation 1st!)

Those who thought the C8 was going to start at $169,000 had no idea that folks buying a Chevy are a different market segment. Since so many didn't understand that statement I used a watch analogy that got through to some (not all.) Rolex stores doesn't sell Timex and Timex issold at Walmart, but they don't sell Rolex "For a Reason! " Now Caddy isn't a Rolex so will go to a retail comparison. Chevy is like going to Walmart for cloths and Caddy is more upscale like Nostrum! May not be perfect but those who are going to spend $125,000 and up for the equivalent of a "Upscale C8," the Caddy showroom is more fitting.

I agree with some that Caddy has more business things it needs to do but perhaps GM won't use a different engine as they did in the past! Would think the chassis and drivetrain could be the same with another big plastic cover over the engine! Body panels are just another set of molds for the SMC and every one can be different from the Chevy version. Don't need a test mule for what should be a C8 with suspension and interior changes that will come a year after the C8.

Just Sayn'

Last edited by JerryU; 02-18-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Well, well, well...