Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:01 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

I REALLY hope that they create an access panel from the inside of the car to access the back of the motor to more easily service the car/replace accessories. That would be a godsend to Corvette owners and reduce maintenance costs tremendously.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 03-12-2019 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
ojm (01-09-2019), RapidC84B (03-12-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Plus the C8 has to have TWO sets of golf clubs... so factor in $5-6K per year dues to join the country club... sheesh... I don't think I can afford one of these!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Plus the C8 has to have TWO sets of golf clubs... so factor in $5-6K per year dues to join the country club... sheesh... I don't think I can afford one of these!
Golf the sissy game

My neighbor joined a golf club membership was well over 150k. That would pay for a C7/8

Last edited by ojm; 01-09-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
If you have to be concerned about repair cost on a new vehicle that has warranty coverage for at least 3 year and 36k miles then you cannot afford that car to start with.

Then there always the option to purchase an extended warranty if your the type who would lose sleep over potential repair bill 4 year down the road.

I don't get guys who purchase a high performance sports car and then worry about potential repair cost that may or may not ever happen.

I will give you something else to worry about. This car will require premium fuel. Which will add at least a few bucks more per fill up over the life time of the car.

This poor guy may never sleep after factoring in the cost of premium fuel vs regular.

P.S the good new is I am sure it will have room for 2 golf bags and but your out of luck on the round taillamp. Oh boy something else trivial to worry about!
Some here can afford to change cars whenever they want but they are the minority. For most here a Vette is a very expensive purchase and we have to keep them for several years. Just cannot afford that type of purchase very often. So repair cost after the warranty runs out is a very big issue.
My last Vette I had for 14 years and the first ten years it was under bumper to bumper warranty.
I use mine as a road car, so if something happens out of town, it is nice to be able to take it to a dealer and have them fix it, no questions asked.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom73:
ArmchairArchitect (03-12-2019), ojm (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller
It will all come down to packaging. If everything is tight and parts are harder to reach then it will be more expensive. If everything is relatively easy to reach then everything will remain relatively cheap. Until we see the final product it is impossible to say for sure. Being mid engine does not mean that it has to be more expensive to work on, but on average they do tend to be more expensive due to packaging.
Think about the Cadillac Hot-V turbo engine, in order to change the spark plugs, it appears you would have to remove the intercoolers, thus drain the coolant. This may also require removing the air intake manifold, as in the LFx V-6 engines to remove the coil packs and plugs. So, in order to change plugs, you need to replace coolant as well as all the associated gaskets. This is just an example of how packaging can turn a simple 1/2 hour job into a complex 3 hour job, at $120/hr not to mention the cost of parts above and beyond the spark plugs. At his point, it would probably be easier to drop the cradle and engine...to change spark plugs, this is what it has come to.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-12-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
If you have to be concerned about repair cost on a new vehicle that has warranty coverage for at least 3 year and 36k miles then you cannot afford that car to start with.

Then there always the option to purchase an extended warranty if your the type who would lose sleep over potential repair bill 4 year down the road.

I don't get guys who purchase a high performance sports car and then worry about potential repair cost that may or may not ever happen.

I will give you something else to worry about. This car will require premium fuel. Which will add at least a few bucks more per fill up over the life time of the car.

This poor guy may never sleep after factoring in the cost of premium fuel vs regular.

P.S the good new is I am sure it will have room for 2 golf bags and but your out of luck on the round taillamp. Oh boy something else trivial to worry about!
It's clear from your writing that you took a disliking to the poster, and let it show in your reply. You should feel bad.
ojm (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 AM
z8ra
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
Will the ME car require more expensive service compared to the C7 after the warranty is over? Since not sold just wondering about ballpark views, thanks
it is the same company so it will be likely roughly the same, and mid engine configuration shouldnt really affect much in theory. If you were bet on something being more expensive it would be on any model that has a DOHC and even more so DOHC+turbos, and even more so DOHC+turbos+hybrid version, logic being when you add complexity...
Also even for the base model there will be more electronic doodads like lane change assist, emergency braking etc., but maybe that will be offset by the increased reliability due to better design software that GM and its partners get over time.. this kind of software is always getting better and helps validate things better.. that being said if the rumors are true about the big electrical problem they supposedly had with the c8 then there is obviously a lot of room for improvement :-D

Last edited by z8ra; 01-11-2019 at 03:39 AM.
ojm (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
It's clear from your writing that you took a disliking to the poster, and let it show in your reply. You should feel bad.
I sure took an instant dislike to that twit. probably born with a silver spoon up his...…………………………………….
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z8ra
it is the same company so it will be likely roughly the same, and mid engine configuration shouldnt really affect much in theory. If you were bet on something being more expensive it would be on any model that has a DOHC and even more so DOHC+turbos, and even more so DOHC+turbos+hybrid version, logic being when you add complexity...
Also even for the base model there will be more electronic doodads like lane change assist, emergency braking etc., but maybe that will be offset by the increased reliability due to better design software that GM and its partners get over time.. this kind of software is always getting better and helps validate things better.. that being said if the rumors are true about the big electrical problem they supposedly had with the c8 then there is obviously a lot of room for improvement :-D
Thanks, there will be another corvette in may garage soon, but up in air the model, do like the early year C3 for a Sunday drive also, but a new model for more reliable rides.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I REALLY hope that they create an access panel from the inside of the car to access the back of the motor to more easlily service the car/replace accessories. That would be a godsend to Corvette owners and reduce maintenance costs tremendously.
Agree... I wish the engineers took the servicing of these cars more into account? C5 was very good with this, C7 not as much. C7 body/interior was clearly designed to snap together as quickly and easily as possible the first time on the assembly line. I get why they did it, but when you pull the car apart, even carefully, the trim clip slots loosen up with time.Perfect example is the snap in fender guards on the C7. I've had to take them off a few times now to get behind the fenders for various reasons and now they don't hold 100% tight. The slots in the SMC fender have worn a little and the tangs that hold the trim clips to the plastic fender guard have moved a little. I much prefer things secured with nuts/bolts/screws for repeat serviceability. The C5 interior was fantastic for this as it was nearly all torx screws or plastic clips (for the door panels) that you could easily replace if they broke (sacrificial clips).

I digress... I hope GM has a "service engineer" who says, "Hey guy... how are you gonna change the water pump?" Step 1 cannot be "Drop rear engine/transaxle/subframe assembly" A local racing buddy has a bunch of Porsches and races a Cayman. It's actually quite easy to work on. There's a large access panel behind the seats and most everything is very easy to get to with a lift.

Quick Reply: C8 repairs