Vin #1 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin #1

Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 PM
AZ Car Guy
CF Senior Member

Default Vin #1

Any discussion on who (and how) will get VIN #1 for the new C8, ME, or whatever is officially announced?

At one time, I assumed it would be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson late next week for charity, as they did with the ZR1 last year. Now it appears most likely, it won’t even be released or annonced by then.

Any thoughts, speculation?

Last edited by AZ Car Guy; 01-09-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,041 Posts

My guess is Rick Hendricks will pay big bucks for it once it is announced and put up for auction, just as he did for the C7 #1's.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zymurgy For This Useful Post:
AZ Car Guy (01-09-2019), DWS44 (01-09-2019), uneedthis2 (01-09-2019), Z51VetteFan (01-11-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 PM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AZ Car Guy View Post
Any discussion on who (and how) will get VIN #1 for the new C8, ME, or whatever is officially announced?
Big Bertha, the car crusher at GM corporate.

ZR1 is different story, because outside of some cosmetic parts and engine upgrade, it's really just a super beefed up C7. Serial number 5-30 of MOST mass produced cars gets sent to the press fleet, and when their 1 year to 18 months service being ridden like the village ***** is over, almost all manufacturers buy them back and crush them.

Sometimes manufacturers offer up the chassis for a dollar to some of their partners. One of the companies I worked for in my past life actually bought several "dollar" cars to convert into project cars. But serial numbers 1-5 almost always gets crushed, because they're typically provided for crash test, EPA testing, and a variety of other purposes that makes them no good for public consumption.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

ZR1 is different story, because outside of some cosmetic parts and engine upgrade, it's really just a super beefed up C7. Serial number 5-30 of MOST mass produced cars gets sent to the press fleet, and when their 1 year to 18 months service being ridden like the village ***** is over, almost all manufacturers buy them back and crush them.

Sometimes manufacturers offer up the chassis for a dollar to some of their partners. One of the companies I worked for in my past life actually bought several "dollar" cars to convert into project cars. But serial numbers 1-5 almost always gets crushed, because they're typically provided for crash test, EPA testing, and a variety of other purposes that makes them no good for public consumption.
VIN #1 Will be a production car and will most likely be put up for auction for some high roller to buy....most likely Rick Hendrick. The preproduction and show cars more than likely will get crushed and use a experimental VIN # and can not be sold.

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 01-09-2019 at 07:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supersonic 427 For This Useful Post:
AZ Car Guy (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM
DWS44
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
My guess is Rick Hendricks will pay big bucks for it once it is announced and put up for auction, just as he did for the C7 #1's.
I'd be shocked if it were any other than Rick Hendrick. I'm sure Leno will be nearby to help drive up the price, though.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM
tslick98
CF Senior Member

I'm no expert on the subject of who gets the #1 car but it seems something's amiss with getting it. I remember Dave Ressler payed $1 mill for the first C6 ZR1. Then i was watching Jay Leno's garage and he also has the first ZR1.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Sin City
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
Yes, just another PR stunt tax right off for charity.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 PM
kozmic
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tslick98 View Post
I'm no expert on the subject of who gets the #1 car but it seems something's amiss with getting it. I remember Dave Ressler payed $1 mill for the first C6 ZR1. Then i was watching Jay Leno's garage and he also has the first ZR1.
IIRC, one "first" was the first production ZR1 to roll out of the factory, whereas the other "first" was the first one available for public sale?
In any case, yes, GM plays games with their "first's"...
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

some egotistical rich f'k will bid on it at the BJ Circus.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 AM
Quinten33
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
some egotistical rich f'k will bid on it at the BJ Circus.
Hendrick will buy it. He has one of the greatest car collections in the world, with everything from 1 of 1 classics to Vin #1 cars like the first 2010 Camaro. He is a very non-egotistical person, despite his net worth. The only egotistical thing about him is that he keeps the Collection mainly private.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM
DWS44
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quinten33 View Post
Hendrick will buy it. He has one of the greatest car collections in the world, with everything from 1 of 1 classics to Vin #1 cars like the first 2010 Camaro. He is a very non-egotistical person, despite his net worth. The only egotistical thing about him is that he keeps the Collection mainly private.
Yeah...he always strikes me as just a big-time car guy with the wealth to back up the desire. At least portions of these sorts of auctions go to charity, so not all bad. I actually got to tour Hendrick's collection a few years ago, and it is one heck of a beautiful facility. They frequently have car shows at the Hendrick NASCAR campus, where the main portion of his collection has a giant building of it's own, and they offer guided tours during some of the shows in exchange for a small charity donation. Cool part is that it's not even a velvet ropes type tour either...you can walk right up to most every car in the collection and check them out up close...very low key.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 AM
jefnvk
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Nah, no production cars are getting crushed. The prototypes and certification cars all have a prototype VIN that can't be sold, and media cars are generally either those in a late pre-productions run that are the final configuration (that will also meet the crusher) or early productions that get cleaned up and resold. VIN #1 will be a big deal that someone will pay a pile of cash for at auction.

Last edited by jefnvk; 01-10-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM
tooold2race
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
Yes, just another PR stunt tax right off for charity.
There were 3 VIN number 1 Corvette C6 ZR1's. They all had different 'prefix' designations. One was the auction car at Barrett Jackson that was eventually build for the buyer. Another was a pilot car (CTF or captured fleet test car or something like that) and the 3rd was a regular production sequence #1. I personally saw 2 of 'em and an on line ad for the 3rd one.

Last edited by tooold2race; 01-10-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vin #1

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: