Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks of C8 / Ferrari or Lambo??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

There is no reason why a car company can't make an exotic looking car that is inexpensive. Bodywork is bodywork whether it's a Civic or 488, it's the engine, drivetrain and guts that make things expensive.
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
bgspot (01-10-2019), firstvettesoon (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by themonk
There is no reason why a car company can't make an exotic looking car that is inexpensive. Bodywork is bodywork whether it's a Civic or 488, it's the engine, drivetrain and guts that make things expensive.

i agree with part of this... the other reason is that when you are only building 100-1000 cars the development costs are spread much thicker onto each individual car..

i imagine that GM only has a higher build cost on a base vette vs a malibu because the suppliers charge a higher per part cost due to smaller order contracts. id love to know what GMs actual cost for just the parts to build a corvette. i bet its less than 10k

if chevrolet only planned to build 1000 malibus they wouldnt/couldnt carry a 20 grand msrp
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Why do so many want an exotic looking car. I am hoping that it will still look like a Corvette.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Why do so many want an exotic looking car. I am hoping that it will still look like a Corvette.

i believe eve it will be an exotic looking corvette. ; )
Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

I'm hoping it looks like a new mid engine corvette.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:38 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,550 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hammerhead69

Did you see the 1986 C4 ragtop go for $19k?
No I didn't. Pretty strong money. There were a lot of surprises both high and low.
Heck of a car show whether you are buying or not.
F40

SpeedyD (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I was at the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee today. This La Ferrari looked pretty good. There were 2 of them. I have heard the C8 may have some styling cues from this.
Would not be surprised since the C7 was pretty much a reinterpretation of the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta.
capevettes (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

In my OP I clearly stated I too want it to be 100% original. My point was if it isn't which way would anyone prefer it to look more like.

I'm speaking purely stylistic elements. That's where I say if it's not 100% original, I'd rather it look more Ferrari-ish then Lamborghini if that makes any sense then anything else.

I definitely don't want the C8 looking anything like an NSX, that's for sure...
firstvettesoon (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Ferrari always had the more timeless designs, more flowing whereas Lamborghini more angular. This is why I'm afraid the C7 won't age well in 20 years, too angular and harsh looking, though it has a nice front end and side profile.
Shaka (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:46 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
The reason that a Camaro doesn't "look" like a C7 is that they are two completely different types of automobile. The Jaguar XKE is a timelessly beautiful design--designing overhead had nothing to do with it. The C2 Stingray is a timelessly dramatic design--designing overhead had nothing to do with it. The original Dino Ferrari, the '59 Cadillac, etc.

Design is largely a function of design goals, designer talent, and management discretion.

The only time design significantly impacts cost is if design elements are particularly hard to engineer or produce cost effectively.

This is correct. Making something a different shape or form factor with the tooling and manufacturing is otherwise comparable, design does no dictate price.

Honda could make a car look just like the NSX , while being equipped with Civic Si level "goodies" and sell it for $30,000. I really wish car companies would do this.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
We know the car is mid engined, we know it's new territory for Corvette. I am curious though as to what most of you guys prefer overall style wise.

Speaking in terms of more recent models, Ferrari's tend to be more rounded/ smoothed over with not too many sharp creases, opposite of Lamborghini ( sharp creases and body lines).

I've stated before I'd prefer the car be 100% original and not a mesh of a different looks, but since there are plenty of mid engined cars already out, if they had to lean one way or another, I personally would like to see the C8 be more leaned towards Ferrari looks then a Lamborghini.

What route do you guys prefer it go between the two?
I'd take the looks of a 488 Pista or McLaren 720S over anything else Mid-Engine.

If we are talking FE, the new DBS Superleggera is a beautiful car.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

This McLaren has to be one of the worst designs ever:

And people complain about the rear of the Corvette....

Last edited by Tom73; 01-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom73:
bgspot (01-10-2019), firstvettesoon (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7pimp
This is correct. Making something a different shape or form factor with the tooling and manufacturing is otherwise comparable, design does no dictate price.

Honda could make a car look just like the NSX , while being equipped with Civic Si level "goodies" and sell it for $30,000. I really wish car companies would do this.

“Technically” speaking. “Design” refers to the entirety of the product and can include material selection and engineering elements but is also used to refer to the “look”.

“Styling” refers to the aesthetics of the product. The lines and surfaces.

I am am sure this is why people get a bit confused when discussing these things.

as for hot looking cheaper cars. They are out there but for the most part I believe consumers don’t buy into it as much. A viper without the fangs, ain’t much of a viper

; ).

The Pontiac Solstice was a nice looking “Alfa” like car. It sold but did not pull from the “real” sports car field.

The Miata. Honda s2000 etc. fun sports cars. Lower cost. But Cool looking packaging is part of the equation but it is the performance and super doohickeys that seal the deal. This is why the Corvette has done so well. It hit a sweet spot for design and performance.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
We know the car is mid engined, we know it's new territory for Corvette. I am curious though as to what most of you guys prefer overall style wise.

Speaking in terms of more recent models, Ferrari's tend to be more rounded/ smoothed over with not too many sharp creases, opposite of Lamborghini ( sharp creases and body lines).

I've stated before I'd prefer the car be 100% original and not a mesh of a different looks, but since there are plenty of mid engined cars already out, if they had to lean one way or another, I personally would like to see the C8 be more leaned towards Ferrari looks then a Lamborghini.

What route do you guys prefer it go between the two?
For the public at large the answer has been set for many years, Ferrari. All three have their audience though. As far as desire to own, the audience for Ferrari and Lamborghini is much larger. On the flip side, Corvettes are much more attainable. I mention this because attainability impacts the vehicles styling. Ferraris and Lamborghinis have the liberty to be outlandish in their design. This helps create that desireability. Also, their audience is willing to shell out a lot more money, this also results in crazier designs. Corvette on the other hand is designed to be a borderline practical vehicle. This means, styling compromises. Considering we are on a Corvette forum, sure there will be some that prefer Corvette styling but overall it is hard for Corvette to win this contest.

Newer Corvette audiences are going to like the C7, but its angular design has a lot in common with Lamborghini. And most C7 buyers would pursue the Lamborghini if they could afford it. People who have been around the Corvette scene for a while will gravitate toward their respective design preference, with the C2, C3, C4, and C5 all having very large audiences that love those designs. They are all a bit more curvy though and often can be thought of as Ferrari lite. The same holds true, if most of those could afford a Ferrari, they would buy that instead.

I guess the conclusion is that it's not really a three horse race. Ferrari and Lamborghini are in competition with each other and designs made by McLaren, Koe****segg, and Bugatti. Corvette is in design competition for looks with Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, and Porsche.

For my money, the most beautiful car in the world is a 1984 Lamborghini Countach. I like the Gallardo, but its too conservative. I like the Huracan, but its a bit of a cartoon fighter jet without wings, essentially it is trying too hard. Ferrari has some wonderful designs and overall they are much more elegant and the very essence of style. The 458 is a work of art, but so is the slightly conservative F355. The F12 makes for just about the best looking daily driver I could imagine. McLaren deserves a nod as well for the F1 (the second best looking car in the world) and the P1, an agressive angry and stealthy beast. As far as Corvettes go, a 1995 ZR-1 is just about perfect, but so is a 1969 L88 convertible w/ side exhaust. Callaway Supernaturals are lovely as well.

They are all great, but if picking a design theme I have to go with gentle curves of Ferrari.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

And people complain about the rear of the Corvette....

pure function. But some people like that aspect.
Looks like a 1960s “ future” car to me. ... Here’s George Jetson.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Would not be surprised since the C7 was pretty much a reinterpretation of the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta.
The C7 looks absolutely nothing like an F12.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

pure function. But some people like that aspect.
Looks like a 1960s “ future” car to me. ... Here’s George Jetson.
This design has its flaws, but nowhere near a bad looking car.

Get notified of new replies

To Looks of C8 / Ferrari or Lambo??

Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

looks have nothing to do with price.

There are are plenty of Ferrari’s that are far from great looking... and a lot that are great looking.

A Lambo looks cool as a dramatic over the top car but seems it would be a PITA to drive daily.

A Koenigsegg is not beautiful IMO. It is functionaly beautiful but not aesthetically beautiful. IMO

Style is not a dictated by price. Materials and fit and finish are.
But style is solely dictated by price. Everyone wants to make a pretty car, however the more 'stylish' you make it, the less you give to other considerations such as practicality or even driveability. Many Lambos and even Vipers have the pedals pushed to the left or right to accomodate wheel wells and transmissions. A great many cars, have cramped seating compartments to accomodate the design of the car. Mirrors often in funny spots, wipers that don't work, switch locations that don't make any sense. All for the sake of styling. These oddities impact the number of people that can and will drive the car. So, sales go down and prices go up. Often, styling gems aren't even meant to make money but act as an moving advertisement for 'look what we can do, buy a X'. The result, no one is going to design a major styling innovation into an every day driver. This means the price goes up in order to try and make some of the money on designing the car back. You end up with a low production halo car. So, yes, styling is solely dicated by price and yet at the same time drawing and molding some body panels doesn't cost that much.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:45 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
With Ferraris, it's supply and demand.
Agreed....and I usually like the styling of McLarens.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I'm not so sure the C8 will be like this :

Quick Reply: Looks of C8 / Ferrari or Lambo??