Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

--- Interior Uncovered ---

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

JABCAT, I know what you mean about cell phones. My wife and I still like our ‘Old’ iPhone 5S as they are sized small by today’s standard. We will keep them as long as the IOS can be updated, now at iOS 12.1.2.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I haven't seen enough evidence to support a real argument that there is a center bar on the rear glass of the vehicle, thus creating a split window. That said, absent real news, we can play the speculation game and wander into the weeds.

1) We know there is a rear facing camera in the upper rear glass area of the hood cover. It would look odd to put a camera in the middle of the glass by itself. A bar running down the middle would provide you with an easy cover to hide any wiring and create a nice subtle housing for such a camera.

3) Glass is heavy. Chevy would be foolish to not make the hood see thru, so you have to find a way to keep the weight down while also making it so people can see their engine. A center carbon fiber strip would allow you to see the engine from the left and right while adding strenght and dropping weight in the middle of the hood.

So...it is entirely possible that we have a split window design coming and perhaps even logical.
These are the best reasons yet for a split window. Would be very interesting to see if this is the case.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I haven't seen enough evidence to support a real argument that there is a center bar on the rear glass of the vehicle, thus creating a split window. That said, absent real news, we can play the speculation game and wander into the weeds.
Could this split window thing only be a three facet glass rear window? Down the center would be a narrow flat section of glass, then the glass would bend and angle to the side. All glass, all see through. Just different angles to the one piece glass that gives the effect of a split window.

Last edited by Tom73; 01-16-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:53 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

Could this split window thing only be a three facet glass rear window? Down the center would be a narrow flat section of glass, then the glass would bend and angle to the side. All glass, all see through. Just different angles to the one piece glass that gives the effect of a split window.
I'm hoping this split window thing isn't a thing. If it's not structural and just style skip it. Lol

PC
Old 01-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

Logically, to create the effect you’re talking about the glass would potentially need to be thicker in the curves. Thus causing it to weigh more than simply a slightly curved piece of glass all the way across. So with the idea in mind that they want to keep weight down, I doubt they would go with that as a design element. I think a split window is much more likely if there is a design element there.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:07 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by smoove7410

Radio UI looks about the same as the Caddy stuff.
Ex: XT6.

The following 2 users liked this post by KnightmareCS:
Atari_Prime (01-16-2019), RedDropTop (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Just an observation does it look like the steering wheel will be blocking the view of the screen hard to tell from pic but sure looks like it
Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Spasetrucker
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Pink led dash lighting to appeal to lady buyers.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM
AEmedic
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
If its mid rear engine rwd...why is the tunnel / middle console so big...
Gotta have a place to put a fuel tank...
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
JABCAT, I know what you mean about cell phones. My wife and I still like our ‘Old’ iPhone 5S as they are sized small by today’s standard. We will keep them as long as the IOS can be updated, now at iOS 12.1.2.
I agree there is no need for the screens to be so large in a car. 1.0 or 2.0 din is big enough. Same for phones, why do I want to always have to use using hands just to hold my phone. I had a newer galaxy phone and it was causing me wrist problems and it wasn't even big compared to most. I now have a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact. No more wrist problems it's the smallest new phone on the market. I love that I can type everything I'm posting now with a single hand

Another tend in cars I don't like is all the buttons Why are there so many buttons?

I also don't like the integration of Hvac controls into the entertainment screen.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 01-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I agree there is no need for the screens to be so large in a car. 1.0 or 2.0 din is big enough. Same for phones, why do I want to always have to use using hands just to hold my phone. I had a newer galaxy phone and it was causing me wrist problems and it wasn't even big compared to most. I now have a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact. No more wrist problems it's the smallest new phone on the market. I love that I can type everything I'm posting now with a single hand

Another tend in cars I don't like is all the buttons Why are there so many buttons?

I also don't like the integration of Hvac controls into the entertainment screen.
From experience on both sides of this spectrum. The Porsche's have TONS of buttons. Buttons galore. After a while I got use to them, they are convenient and I like the ability to find the button by feeling if I need to. There is a certain muscle memory to pressing a physical button...

Now on the other end I have a Tesla Model 3. Besides the scroll buttons on the wheel and the door releases, there isn't a button in the vehicle. Everything is driven through the giant screen in the middle of the car. I thought this would be hard to get use to, but in reality it wasn't. It is annoying at times. To open the glove box, you have to access a menu in the screen. To change the audio source you have to slide the radio up on the screen. Welcome to the future! Love the giant screen though for maps and other data. Bigger is better?

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 01-17-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
From experience on both sides of this spectrum. The Porsche's have TONS of buttons. Buttons galore. After a while I got use to them, they are convenient and I like the ability to find the button by feeling if I need to. There is a certain muscle memory to pressing a physical button...

Now on the other end I have a Tesla Model 3. Besides the scroll buttons on the wheel and the door releases, there isn't a button in the vehicle. Everything is driven through the giant screen in the middle of the car. I thought this would be hard to get use to, but in reality it wasn't. It is annoying at times. To open the glove box, you have to access a menu in the screen. To change the audio source you have to slide the radio up on the screen. Welcome to the future! Love the giant screen though for maps and other data. Bigger is better?
We were at the local "new car" auto show in town last weekend. My wife has a 2012 ML350 Mercedes she's considering replacing with a Macan or the Maserati SUV thing (I know I know, but she's of Italian heritage and has a soft spot for Maserati). She hated all the buttons in the Macan. It was all she could talk about. No care of how it looked, or the sporty feel, just that it was a 'sea of buttons".
Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
We were at the local "new car" auto show in town last weekend. My wife has a 2012 ML350 Mercedes she's considering replacing with a Macan or the Maserati SUV thing (I know I know, but she's of Italian heritage and has a soft spot for Maserati). She hated all the buttons in the Macan. It was all she could talk about. No care of how it looked, or the sporty feel, just that it was a 'sea of buttons".
It is definitely a personal preference. My wife said the same thing. Eventually she got use to them. She said the same thing about the complete lack of buttons in the Model 3. I barely get to drive that thing.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc

Less is more?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

The problem with the XZ2 compact is the screen is not edge to edge, the phone is a bit thick, and no headphone jack. Ends up feeling a bit dated. Wish there were more phones in that size though.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

The problem with the XZ2 compact is the screen is not edge to edge, the phone is a bit thick, and no headphone jack. Ends up feeling a bit dated. Wish there were more phones in that size though.
Beggers can't be choosers. It's the only option in that size. Also it comes with a USB-c to headphone jack adaptor. The edging does make it look very dated though, especially since the word "Sony" is placed in the dead space.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Name just one vehicle starting at $180K that sold 25,000 units annually.
He stated during the life of the vehicle run.

Get notified of new replies

To --- Interior Uncovered ---

Old 01-18-2019, 06:28 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

The
Less is more?
The new 911 has a nice mix of necessary switches and a large well organized touch screen. All are in logical places within easy reach. Common controls like the sport mode, seat heaters and fans, and the HVAC controls are simple switches with a tactile feel and the console is clean and simple with the PDK shifter at center stage. Unlike the sneak peeks of the C8 interior, the 911 has no ski slope room divider of buttons, no little cubby that may hide cup holder, and much nicer materials for the upholstery and trim.

i hope the C8 interior turns out a lot nicer than the pics we’ve seen, because I plan to order either the Vette or the 911, but I intend to spend a lot more time experiencing the cockpit than just admiring the parked car.

Last edited by Red67John; 01-18-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Red67 the 911 is going to win in the interior comparison. I can just tell.... it's clean and open whereas the Corvette team is always focused on creating a cockpit feel. They are both neat, but I prefer the clean/open... kind of like mid century modern styling.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Red67 the 911 is going to win in the interior comparison. I can just tell.... it's clean and open whereas the Corvette team is always focused on creating a cockpit feel. They are both neat, but I prefer the clean/open... kind of like mid century modern styling.
So far I have to agree with you, but I’m looking forward to seeing more of the Corvette interior. I’ve owned enough Corvettes to appreciate the cockpit styling that has evoloved from the C2, but that doesn’t mean a functional cockpit can’t be attractive, ergonomically designed with tactile controls, and be high covered with quality materials. Im hoping.

Last edited by Red67John; 01-18-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: --- Interior Uncovered ---