Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zerv02, THANK YOU

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:29 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Ohhhh my God let it go! You have this vision of Cadillac that is not so accurate! Why can't you get it that the Corvette IS GM's Flagship & Halo car and Cadillac has nothing on a Corvette! The Corvette should be and is at the top of GM's mountain in terms of performance, looks, technology, high-end options, customer loyalty, heritage, customer affluence and so much more.
Maybe you can but I can't see a Chevrolet with a $169k MSRP.
Sorry, just can't....
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

is the world a better place now, I don't get it?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:11 AM
johnnystock
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If their mid engine is a limited halo car at 169k, its a massive fail. Against all Corvette was ever about. So a tamed revise 510hp FE at 60k and a jump to 169k for the ME. Wow gm is really losing it.

I dont believe it until I see the prices.

Think about the Mustang gt500 that will have a twin turbo well over 700, PDK trans ans all that under 80k. They will **** all over the FE Vette for less (with full option but still the poor 510hp engine for FE)

Why not make a base ME version though???? To play the Ford GT game??? That would be stupid.

I dont buy it, literally. FE I will take the Camaro with the same engine, who is fast as fukk

Last edited by johnnystock; 01-12-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by johnnystock
If their mid engine is a limited halo car at 169k, its a massive fail. Against all Corvette was ever about. So a tamed revise 510hp FE at 60k and a jump to 169k for the ME. Wow gm is really losing it.

Think about the Mustang gt500 that will have a twin turbo well over 700, PDK trans ans all that under 80k. They will **** all over the FE Vette for less (with full option but still the poor 510hp engine for FE)

Why not make a base ME version though???? To play the Ford GT game??? That would be stupid.

I dont buy it, literally. FE I will take the Camaro with the same engine, who is fast as fukk
I kinda agree with you. At this price it has to have the numbers to match. Look at the new NSX --- its sales suck. Expensive and American made not to mention doesn't look much different than this.

Last edited by Sin City; 01-12-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Foosh
LOL . . . did I miss something? Was Zerv's $169K starting price confirmed? That's the only thing I've ever said was utter BS.

I couldn't care less about the interior, as long as the seat provides a comfortable driving position. This fascination w/ interior "poshness" is ludicrous from people who proclaim to be sports car enthusiasts.

Lotus knew how to make a proper interior. It was spartan, with no unnecessary BS, all in the name of weight savings.
You just found the real irony of today's sports cars

People today say they want "a sports car" but they really don't. They want a luxury GT that looks like a sports car.

They want this kind of interior. I don't, but people do.

Last edited by Sin City; 01-12-2019 at 03:56 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Sin City:
Boiler_81 (01-12-2019), Foosh (01-12-2019), Malum1 (01-14-2019), PurpleLion (01-12-2019), sunsalem (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

LOL . . . did I miss something? Was Zerv's $169K starting price confirmed? That's the only thing I've ever said was utter BS.

I couldn't care less about the interior, as long as the seat provides a comfortable driving position. This fascination w/ interior "poshness" is ludicrous from people who proclaim to be sports car enthusiasts.

Lotus knew how to make a proper interior. It was spartan, with no unnecessary BS, all in the name of weight savings.
Spot on.

Btw, have you seen what "trucks" have turned into, good lord. I just did a friends truck up with paint sealant for winter. Not only was the interior covered in leather with every gadget imaginable but the bed, really short, had a hard cover and was lined with indoor outdoor type material. Now come on, it had a sticker of nearly 75k and no way anybody would use that as a truck to haul still like mulch, lol.

PC
The following 2 users liked this post by Darion:
Foosh (01-12-2019), Malum1 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Funny, I don't see Lotus as a sales powerhouse worthy of praise. Unless I'm missing something, they are down to only offering a single car model now. I guess the public in general didn't like their "spartan" interior with "no unnecessary BS".

I also wasn't aware that in order to be a sports car enthusiast you were required to want a downscale interior.

Why is it that people can't simply accept that many Corvette fans don't want a stripped-down single-purpose track car? (In fact, that MOST don't want such a thing.) I'm all for Chevy building multiple versions that target every type of driver, but seeing as they cannot (or are unwilling to) do such a thing, they obviously need to build what the majority of owners want. Do you really think most Corvette owners want a stripped interior? Certainly there are a number of very vocal members here who advocate for such a thing, but you have to be willfully ignorant to think that most people feel that way. Most people don't get every option because they can't afford it, not because they don't want it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Speednet:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-14-2019), keagan (01-12-2019), LB001 (01-12-2019), sunsalem (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv.nandak
If Porsche can manage to make a mid engined car (cayman) for $55k, i'm sure GM can pull off the Stingray version of the C8 at a reasonable price.

That being said, it is entirely possible there will be on "stingray" version. I've heard one of the reasons they are going mid engine is because they are reaching the performance limits for a RWD with z06 levels of power. Maybe only the z06/zr1 versions will be offered for the mid-engine and will be more expensive. Zerv was spot on with the interior drawing, but i have doubts about the mid-engine starting price of $160k.
IMO if it really is $160k then that for sure means front engine Corvette is still going to be produced going forward
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
Funny, I don't see Lotus as a sales powerhouse worthy of praise. Unless I'm missing something, they are down to only offering a single car model now. I guess the public in general didn't like their "spartan" interior with "no unnecessary BS".

I also wasn't aware that in order to be a sports car enthusiast you were required to want a downscale interior.

Why is it that people can't simply accept that many Corvette fans don't want a stripped-down single-purpose track car? (In fact, that MOST don't want such a thing.) I'm all for Chevy building multiple versions that target every type of driver, but seeing as they cannot (or are unwilling to) do such a thing, they obviously need to build what the majority of owners want. Do you really think most Corvette owners want a stripped interior? Certainly there are a number of very vocal members here who advocate for such a thing, but you have to be willfully ignorant to think that most people feel that way. Most people don't get every option because they can't afford it, not because they don't want it.
You're right, Lotus has never sold well because folks don't really want purpose-built sports cars. I single Lotus out as worthy of praise because they have mastered building the best handling and lightest sports cars. My Elise was the best handling track car I ever owned, and the driving position was very comfortable for street use. It was a very spartan interior with a lot of the bare aluminum tub showing, but the seats were perfect for support.

Lotus still sells multiple models, but most aren't sold in the US because they decided not to comply with US standards after 2010 for the rest of their lineup. Evora was their compromise for the US market, heavier than Lotus wants to build, but still much lighter by today's sports car standards.

Corvette owners haven't traditionally been too concerned about interior poshness either. 70% of C7 sales were 1LT interiors in under $80K cars. That's not exactly consistent with what you say above. Only a vocal minority in internet forums seem to constantly whine about interior "poshness."

Last edited by Foosh; 01-12-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnystock

The GT500 is supercharged not turbocharged.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Sorry, just can't....
They're already selling a very decent amount of $140K Corvette's! And again, the Corvette is the GM's Flagship and not the Cadillac!! You can see Cadillac through your rose colored glasses from the 60 & 70's, but those glory days are gone! Maybe they'll be back one day but there is a huge hill to climb and every time they try rot climb it they fall back down.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Ummm this is a new day & age and almost every other sports car/super car have amazing interiors these days and looks like the C8 will have one as well (even though the C7 3LT is pretty nice as is). Time to live in 2019 and not be stuck on the past!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Agree - thanks... I remember how nasty the naysayers were.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
You just found the real irony of today's sports cars

People today say they want "a sports car" but they really don't. They want a luxury GT that looks like a sports car.

They want this kind of interior. I don't, but people do.
Why would you not "want a luxury GT," for the same price as an ugly *** C5&6 interior?? The C7's interior bought Corvette styling out of the Dark Ages..... Make mine a luxury GT sports car..
Old 01-13-2019, 06:52 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by skid row joe
why would you not "want a luxury gt," for the same price as an ugly *** c5&6 interior?? The c7's interior bought corvette styling out of the dark ages..... Make mine a luxury gt sports car..
weight!

Last edited by PurpleLion; 01-13-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
They're already selling a very decent amount of $140K Corvette's! And again, the Corvette is the GM's Flagship and not the Cadillac!! You can see Cadillac through your rose colored glasses from the 60 & 70's, but those glory days are gone! Maybe they'll be back one day but there is a huge hill to climb and every time they try rot climb it they fall back down.
My point was from a marketing POV, Cadillac was and still is GM's "Premium" brand.
My previous Escalade, XLR, and CTS-V had beautiful interiors now other GM brand could touch.
And it came at a premium price too.

New high tech usually debuts first with Cadillac, which is why, model for model, Caddys carry a premium price tag.
Proof-in-point is the announcement the other day of Cadillac being GM's "EV brand."
It makes perfect sense IMO.

An AWD high-powered hybrid GT ME would be just the thing to draw attention to this new GM EV brand.
That's my opinion...and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:58 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Sorry, just can't....
Most of us probably never thought they would see a Ford that cost 400K+ (New GT). A person in my town was rumored to have purchased one for 600K+. Based on the pics of the interior, this car probably will not cost 55k. Just my opinion based on cars I’ve purchased the last couple years. Sticker on my new Camaro SS was 50k+. And my Z07, well I’d rather not go there. I just do not see the new super wammy Vette costing just a few thousand more than a Camaro. Maybe 75K, but in today’s market, I think Chevy is going to raise the cost bar on this new Vette. We will hear a lot of bitching and moaning but that is today’s trend. Just look at the price of a new truck. I never though a truck would cost 70K, but a nicely optioned one can cost that and more. Just my opinion again but Camaro sales would drop like a rock. This is going to sound a little crazy but based on driving my new Camaro SS, think Chevy is trying to move it into the FE Vette position. It’s approaching Vette territory. Kind of reminds me of my C7 Z51. Don’t get me wrong, I’m like many of you that wish I could pick up the new C8 for 55K but I just don’t see that happening. Besides, I’m not sure that the car could be today’s world class Vette at that price. Not trying to burst any bubbles but cars are not getting any cheaper.

I’m here at Barrett-Jackson and there’s a lot of new vehicles here from several manufacturers. Including a lot of exotics. As a side note, if you are a car freak, Barrett-Jackson should be on your “Bucket List”. Nonetheless, based on what I’m seeing, a 55K C8 would have to be a serious bare bones model. Yeah, I could see the base starting at 75K but 55K seems a little low. Hope I’m wrong!

Get notified of new replies

To Zerv02, THANK YOU

Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

And now, back to "thanking" Zerv02.....
Suckers

He's batting .333
Clearly he has seen a mock up or the actual interior or was told details, based on getting the buttons right
He whiffed on Detroit, and as he admitted NOW, he was expecting only a "video tease"....Zerv02 is the master at floating something out there and letting the forum fill in the blanks.
He started with $169,900, back tracked to no C8 under $100K, we will see.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-14-2019 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,623 Likes on 6,627 Posts

^^^
Hmm, just posted the comment below on another Thread responding to someone that wants the C8 to be even more expensive than $169k! Must have a lot of Forum members who are <25 living at home!

"Have you considered the unintended consequences IF GM were foolish enough to follow your suggestion? (i.e.169k may be too cheap for the "statement" halo car GM is planning to introduce) For the few folks who would buy the C8, it would mean the end of jobs at Bowling Green, closing the plant and no doubt Mary Barra being fired by the Board for such a foolish decision.

But then again all those under 25, still living at home, who agree with you but have no money to buy one, will have a large C8 poster on their bedroom wall so they can tell all their friends, "See GM can beat the best!" "

Last edited by JerryU; 01-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

It’s very touching to read some of the early posts on this thread by some of the zerv02 deciples...
The following 3 users liked this post by pietro c7:
JerryU (01-14-2019), John T (01-14-2019), Malum1 (01-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Zerv02, THANK YOU