Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could there be a Split Window Detail ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

I still think there is relevance in the 63 SWC for a heritage revisit though. Afterall they are very valuable and the centerline carbon fiber concept has now been used by Corvette on the ZR1.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

I think a certerlined carbon fiber design for the ZORA would be incredible. All for 1/30th of the Divo cost.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I think a certerlined carbon fiber design for the ZORA would be incredible. All for 1/30th of the Divo cost.
It would definitely be nice to see that design carry from the Chiron/Divo (Divo is based in the Chiron) on the ME Corvette. But we would see it poking through the camo.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:28 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

If Team Corvette can do that level of design integration for under 200K down to whatever, that would be amazing.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

If Team Corvette can do that level of design integration for under 200K down to whatever, that would be amazing.
True, but the entire body would likely have to be carbon fiber for that spine to happen.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:38 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,347 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
Not so. A conventional functional rearview mirror is still a requirement. The virtual mirror converts at the flip of a switch. This has been discussed many times already and at one point I posted a section of the relevant code.

The center icon is clearly for the rear hatch. The right is possibly for the roof, and what we see is a convertible.
Not true. Where the hell did you get this?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:44 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
True, but the entire body would likely have to be carbon fiber for that spine to happen.
Actually, if they just centerlined the carbon fiber without the spine, that would still be a great look. It appears that the front hood and roof has a centered recessed area where they could develop a front to rear surface centerline. No spline, but still incredible in detail.

Last edited by skank; 01-13-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:59 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, I have that "Split Window" logo as part of the Grand Sport dash emblem! (Albeit turned 90 degrees.)

Does that mean my GS will turn into a C8 at the stoke of midnight, whenever?

That emblem looks more like a C3 with the t-tops off than anything else to me.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:54 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

^^^
When I saw this thread recalled some time ago someone said what it was supposed to be, which I never considered! Took the pic but could not find that post, don't recall the explanation but it apparently has a meaning!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-14-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:24 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by CitznFish
Not true. Where the hell did you get this?
For context, this portion of the thread was kicked off by Skank's bold assertion -
That was before, when there were no options like this new tech. Clearly a rear window is actually not necessary with this new wide view streaming rear camera. In fact a standard traditional rear view mirror has a narrower view image than this new tech.
which I pointed out was incorrect. A conventional mirror is a requirement and a rear window to see through.

Believe it or not there are regulations governing rear view mirrors in passenger cars.

The original technical articles on the Cadillac virtual mirror here stated that conversion to a conventional mirror be available because of regulatory requirements. And it is.

Since then I've been challenged several times like this and responded with the US regulation governing mirrors.

So it is true, and this is where I got it.

49 CFR 571.111 - Standard No. 111; Rear visibility.

S5. Requirements for passenger cars.

S5.1 Inside rearview mirror. Each passenger car shall have an inside rearview mirror of unit magnification.

S5.1.1 Field of view. Except as provided in S5.3, the mirror shall provide a field of view with an included horizontal angle measured from the projected eye point of at least 20 degrees, and a sufficient vertical angle to provide a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon beginning at a point not greater than 61 m to the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle is occupied by the driver and four passengers or the designated occupant capacity, if less, based on an average occupant weight of 68 kg. The line of sight may be partially obscured by seated occupants or by head restraints. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 ( § 571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

Unit magnification mirror means a plane or flat mirror with a reflective surface through which the angular height and width of the image of an object is equal to the angular heightand width of the object when viewed directly at the same distance except for flaws that do not exceed normal manufacturing tolerances. For the purposes of this regulation a prismatic day-night adjustment rearview mirror one of whose positions provides unit magnification is considered a unit magnification mirror.

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 01-14-2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: add context
Old 01-14-2019, 07:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom73

That emblem looks more like a C3 with the t-tops off than anything else to me.

Found some additional info and evidence that part of the emblem is NOT the '63 rear split window!

It is a tribute to the "last gasp" of the two roadster versions of the Zora racing Grand Sports. It did have some racing success. That is a quote from the book, "Corvette Grand Sport," by Lowell C. Paddock and Dave Friedman with forward by Rodger Penske dated 1989. The #12 is the car as George Wintersteen raced and as it appeared in the USRRC series in 1966.

You can see in the pic of the emblem, in addition to the two number 12's it's the top view of the roadster, which shows a steering wheel dash area, red box! Zoro made the roadsters to get a lower profile for less drag at high speeds compared to the Grand Sport coupes. Quoting a comment in the book, Winterseen "piloted the car well but was outclassed my the mid-engine McLarens and Lolas."

The C8 will get that fixed!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
For context, this portion of the thread was kicked off by Skank's bold assertion -
which I pointed out was incorrect. A conventional mirror is a requirement and a rear window to see through.

Believe it or not there are regulations governing rear view mirrors in passenger cars.

The original technical articles on the Cadillac virtual mirror here stated that conversion to a conventional mirror be available because of regulatory requirements. And it is.

Since then I've been challenged several times like this and responded with the US regulation governing mirrors.

So it is true, and this is where I got it.
Bikerjulio, where in those regulations does it say there is a required rear window? We provided a few and can give more examples of cars that barely or essentially have no rear window to view rearward with a conventional mirror. Read the link I gave on the second generation system that GM has developed. A far better solution to the typical exotic car that has a sloped rear window at a extreme angle where resolution is compromised.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...camera-mirror/

Last edited by skank; 01-14-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Bikerjulio, where in those regulations does it say there is a required rear window? We provided a few and can give more examples of cars that barely or essentially have no rear window to view rearward with a conventional mirror. Read the link I gave on the second generation system that GM has developed. A far better solution to the typical exotic car that has a sloped rear window at a extreme angle where resolution is compromised.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...camera-mirror/
Skank, I have seen GM’s application pics for the vented rear window. Do the illustrations have to be close to production in design?
Why I ask is it could be possible and attractive to run a venting spine down the middle with glass on either side. Elegant seemed to hint that the back glass design could be radical.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Lots of possibilities here.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

See posts #2 and my #51. One can conjecture that the #2 blurry emblem is a split window BUT it is probably what I define clearly in post #51. The same as the one in my Grand Sport. That one, in addition to the original Grand Sport in it's present configuration as race in 1966 with the #12, is a top view of the roadster, which clearly shows a driver's side dash area as well as it's hood scope.

Rodger Penske bought the 2 original Roadsters believing they had a future in racing. One had a 4 twin carb Webers (like mine, albeit small, pic below!) and the other Wintersteen bought from Penske that had a 427 engine, when it was retired in 1966 and then sold for $6700 (current value estimated at over $7,000,000!) It is the car that has been restored in it's last #12 racing trim! Assume that is why the tribute emblem.

But like those that continue the delusion that the base C8 will cost over $100,000 and GM is intent on Corvette suicide, guess a split window dream will continue as well! We'll soon see.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-15-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

This photo of the new "Sky View" option (adds the two pieces of glass in the roof so that you can see through it) shows the centerline spine I was talking about quite well.
Wait a second...so who came out with the split dash design first!!?? Corvette C2 or Bugatti? Sacrilege!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Emblem Comparison

Detail of Grand Sport Dash Emblem and #12 Grand Sport

Get notified of new replies

To Could there be a Split Window Detail ?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John T

Skank, I have seen GM’s application pics for the vented rear window. Do the illustrations have to be close to production in design?
Why I ask is it could be possible and attractive to run a venting spine down the middle with glass on either side. Elegant seemed to hint that the back glass design could be radical.
That's exactly what we're thinking. At the bottom of the rear window vent system that the patent shows the actual vent stopping at the middle on both top and bottom areas. Also a recess at the bottom center of the rear window frame that would allow a center rib.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

This photo of the new "Sky View" option (adds the two pieces of glass in the roof so that you can see through it) shows the centerline spine I was talking about quite well.
It would be historic to combine the ‘63 C2 Split Window design as a Spine like the above integrated to C3 style two piece T-Tops for the ME Coupe.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 01-15-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: T-Tops
Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

^^^^^

GOSH! thousands of viewing of all Corvettes and the C3 still comes on top. IMHO of course.

P.S. sorry for the thread derail. I keep my mouth shut now.

Quick Reply: Could there be a Split Window Detail ?