Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Shelby GT 500 and the C8 ....

Old 01-14-2019, 10:48 PM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Will the Shelby GT 500 and the C8 ....

compete at all for the same customer, or do will they live in mutually exclusive orbits, each having its own owners and admirers? The new Mustang is a handsome
beast, and with power approaching the ZR1, ought to be somewhat capable.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:58 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

My opinion they're in two different classes.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7&7:
ArmchairArchitect (01-15-2019), sunsalem (01-26-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Oof, the GT500 is hot trash, the problem with the current gen Mustang isn't power...its getting that power to the ground. The reason the GT350 was reviewed so well was because of the serious meat at each corner and the sweet FPC noise coming out of the exhaust...it was literally the recipe that made the 5th gen Z28 amazing.

The GT500 is a statement car, like a Demon or ZL1, its power over poise. Ultimately its still a scrappy mustang with a big power motor in it and the only people cross shopping that thing with a C8 will be the same amateur stoplight racer boys who think 0-60 is all that matters.

The C8 will be an appropriately exotic looking car with real sports car performance figures. There will be a few people who might choose a GT500 over a C8 but that will be because they are sold on horsepower figures and the prospect of beating C8s at the drag strip.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

No comparison.In my opinion ford did not do enough. I post at mustang 6 g forum and saw the launch live today and the Z06 and ZR1 outclass the GT500. Same old interior no manual transmission offered and 700 lbs heavier than a C7.

I wanna be fair so here is my take:

Pros for GT500
  1. Colors ..the blue is awesome
  2. Power...yes it will kick ***
  3. Front end is slick but why stop there

Cons
  1. Stupid auto selector/shifter
  2. Not exotic looking enough... bring back the designer that went from 2014 to current...I need more curves and aerodynamics..something new
  3. Same old interior

I am glad I didn’t wait and purchased a Corvette C7 M7 last month. I am not saying I won’t be back in a mustang but not anytime soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by hemistar1:
ArmchairArchitect (01-16-2019), Puttnutt24 (01-17-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default yes

Originally Posted by C7&7
My opinion they're in two different classes.

Agreed.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

Not in the same class! OP, have you heard of the Camaro????
Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 PM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Not in the same class! OP, have you heard of the Camaro????
Uh, ZL1/1LE, 650 hp, high belt line, can't see out of it, claustrophobic, good looking until this year? Nope.
The following users liked this post:
Bfine Blue (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,983 Likes on 935 Posts

^^^ You might be right, you may want to take your disdain for the Camaro and love for the Mustang to their appropriate Forums as they are are in direct competition to each other.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 PM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Oof, the GT500 is hot trash, the problem with the current gen Mustang isn't power...its getting that power to the ground. The reason the GT350 was reviewed so well was because of the serious meat at each corner and the sweet FPC noise coming out of the exhaust...it was literally the recipe that made the 5th gen Z28 amazing.

The GT500 is a statement car, like a Demon or ZL1, its power over poise. Ultimately its still a scrappy mustang with a big power motor in it and the only people cross shopping that thing with a C8 will be the same amateur stoplight racer boys who think 0-60 is all that matters.

The C8 will be an appropriately exotic looking car with real sports car performance figures. There will be a few people who might choose a GT500 over a C8 but that will be because they are sold on horsepower figures and the prospect of beating C8s at the drag strip.
I wouldn't call it "hot trash". It stands a pretty good chance to take out the ZL1 1LE on the road course and HC Redeye on the strip. This isn't the 13-14 GT500 chassis with a solid overpowered rear axel and Bilsteins ... It's the technological pinnacle of all Mustangs to date. IRS, Magride, DCT, Sport Cup2's, CF weight reduction... You're a fool for even saying that. And no "boy" is going to be able to afford it.

I wonder, could much the same thing you said about the GT500 be applied to GM's pinnacle C7 the ZR1? For the record I own an R and Z51 M7 and have zero interest in the new GT500. It's not for lack of performance sake or just hating on it like you are. It lost my interest the moment it was confirmed that it will not have a manual.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bfine Blue:
C6Z06C6 (01-20-2019), vndkshn (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:13 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

As a life long Ford fan would like to go Corvette next BIG purchase. The Mustang is getting routine.

Last edited by ojm; 01-15-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 AM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by ojm
As a life long Ford fan would like to go Corvette next BIG purchase. The Mustang is a getting routine.
I have both. An 18 R and a 15 Z51 M7 vert. The Vette sits a lot more. A lot more...
Old 01-15-2019, 12:49 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,310 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfine Blue
I have both. An 18 R and a 15 Z51 M7 vert. The Vette sits a lot more. A lot more...
Of course the vette sits more, it's a top of the food chain of Mustangs driver car versus a doo wop meet, boulevard cruiser....thing prob has chrome wheels even....I'd let it sit too...lol. That's your wifes car anyway, don't play.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 01-15-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:05 AM
TnRZ06
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ford showed up in their hometown. Chevy is still testing so I guess they are in different leagues. Ford will be selling cars while GM goes under.I don't care much for ford stuff but they are better at marketing and running a business
The following 2 users liked this post by TnRZ06:
vndkshn (01-15-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

I wouldn't call it "hot trash". It stands a pretty good chance to take out the ZL1 1LE on the road course and HC Redeye on the strip. This isn't the 13-14 GT500 chassis with a solid overpowered rear axel and Bilsteins ... It's the technological pinnacle of all Mustangs to date. IRS, Magride, DCT, Sport Cup2's, CF weight reduction... You're a fool for even saying that. And no "boy" is going to be able to afford it.

I wonder, could much the same thing you said about the GT500 be applied to GM's pinnacle C7 the ZR1? For the record I own an R and Z51 M7 and have zero interest in the new GT500. It's not for lack of performance sake or just hating on it like you are. It lost my interest the moment it was confirmed that it will not have a manual.
Having owned a current gen Mustang GT with the performance pack, the saving grace for the GT350 was the suspension and tires. The chassis is not a good starting place and hampers the car in every iteration, the GT350 was great because the power was perfect for the available traction...throwing more horsepower at the thing isn't going to make it any better. The Coyote and Voodoo engines make their peak torque quite high in the rpm band. Which makes for some interesting moments of useless tire shredding in gears that should allow great forward acceleration as seen on the Camaro.

As for the pinnacle, they already have most of what you are talking about on the Mustang GT PP2 minus a few hundred hp and a DCT. Its a mess compared to a Camaro SS 1LE. I'll wait to see how the rubber selection does since it literally transformed the GT350 into a world beater...but it looks more like Ford is throwing around big hp numbers to chew into the Hellcat buyer base...I'll also wait for the N-ring time and next years performance car comparison tests before completely disregarding this thing.

I'm sure a fair number of sales of the GT500 will be gray hairs camping out in the slow lane "cruising"...but I am sure that more than a few will sell to "boys" that validate their existence on Instagram followers and who like to show off in their Mustangs.

My dislike for it is based on a fundamental hate for Ford products in general, I have owned a 98 F150, an 02 Ranger, an 05 Explorer, and a 15 Mustang GT...and I can't for the life of me recommend anything Ford makes. When I bought my wife's first new car we test drove the Taurus and Fusion Platinum and both were woefully under optiined compared to almost everything we test drove...we ended up with a 15 Impala fully loaded. My GT was a piece of ****, mostly because I sold my 15 C7 because of a new baby, and the need to save a few dollars a month for child care. The tupperware interior and crappy build quality were constant reminders of what I missed in my Vette. It's really unfair to compare a Mustang to a Corvette, but that is what I took away from the whole ownership experience.

So yeah a Mustang is a Mustang in my book, until they kill off this gen and make an all new platform, I just don't see me liking any of them, even though I do respect the GT350R.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Of course the vette sits more, it's a top of the food chain of Mustangs driver car versus a doo wop meet, boulevard cruiser....thing prob has chrome wheels even....I'd let it sit too...lol. That's your wifes car anyway, don't play.
Ha ha. True. It's the wife's 40 yr old B-Day bucket list car but still, when I want to go for a drive, it sits. I happen to like the chrome wheels tho.

KnightDriveTV (01-18-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The nose on the gt500 reminds me of the ac cobra. That being said, ford guys like to compare the mustang to the corvette. In reality, one is a pony car and the other a sports car. Two entirely different buyers.

Also, if what I'm seeing is Kona blue that is actually what we painted the 67 with. Gorgeous color imo. Just hate to admit it's a ford color lol.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Having owned a current gen Mustang GT with the performance pack, the saving grace for the GT350 was the suspension and tires. The chassis is not a good starting place and hampers the car in every iteration, the GT350 was great because the power was perfect for the available traction...throwing more horsepower at the thing isn't going to make it any better. The Coyote and Voodoo engines make their peak torque quite high in the rpm band. Which makes for some interesting moments of useless tire shredding in gears that should allow great forward acceleration as seen on the Camaro.

As for the pinnacle, they already have most of what you are talking about on the Mustang GT PP2 minus a few hundred hp and a DCT. Its a mess compared to a Camaro SS 1LE. I'll wait to see how the rubber selection does since it literally transformed the GT350 into a world beater...but it looks more like Ford is throwing around big hp numbers to chew into the Hellcat buyer base...I'll also wait for the N-ring time and next years performance car comparison tests before completely disregarding this thing.

I'm sure a fair number of sales of the GT500 will be gray hairs camping out in the slow lane "cruising"...but I am sure that more than a few will sell to "boys" that validate their existence on Instagram followers and who like to show off in their Mustangs.

My dislike for it is based on a fundamental hate for Ford products in general, I have owned a 98 F150, an 02 Ranger, an 05 Explorer, and a 15 Mustang GT...and I can't for the life of me recommend anything Ford makes. When I bought my wife's first new car we test drove the Taurus and Fusion Platinum and both were woefully under optiined compared to almost everything we test drove...we ended up with a 15 Impala fully loaded. My GT was a piece of ****, mostly because I sold my 15 C7 because of a new baby, and the need to save a few dollars a month for child care. The tupperware interior and crappy build quality were constant reminders of what I missed in my Vette. It's really unfair to compare a Mustang to a Corvette, but that is what I took away from the whole ownership experience.

So yeah a Mustang is a Mustang in my book, until they kill off this gen and make an all new platform, I just don't see me liking any of them, even though I do respect the GT350R.
Worlds apart from a GT PP vs a 350. Handling. shifting the Tremec vs a M82, power, magride, exhaust note of the FPC, etc. And an R is even a better experience. But you'll never know and just be relegated to your assumptions. I don't really want to get into specifics about which brand is better because the General certainly has its issues. But we can certainly start a tit for tat breakdown if you like. I wasn't opposed to owning a Z06 when I was looking. But I didn't want to be the 4th Z on the neighborhood block. Had the opportunity to own an R, without the ADM. In fact I bought it below MSRP. I've not had a better driving experience. As it stands, to this day, I've not seen another R in the wild. Maybe if I get to Cars and Coffee someday with my gray haired neighbor and his Z, I might see another R. I've driven my neighbors auto Z around all day. Nice...heavy front end, I can take a bite of my sandwich and sip of Mr. Pib between paddle shifts... I can see why the grays like it now. Z06...7 2017's left on the lot near me. HEAVILY DISCOUNTED. Lol.

Last edited by Bfine Blue; 01-15-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the Shelby GT 500 and the C8 ....

Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
The nose on the gt500 reminds me of the ac cobra. That being said, ford guys like to compare the mustang to the corvette. In reality, one is a pony car and the other a sports car. Two entirely different buyers.

Also, if what I'm seeing is Kona blue that is actually what we painted the 67 with. Gorgeous color imo. Just hate to admit it's a ford color lol.
Well, I dunno about that. It's always been Mustang vs Camaro to me. The Camaro's purpose for existence started with the Mustang's inception. But then again there some GM guys who like to compare the Camaro to the Vette as well I guess.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 AM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

There is an argument to be made they are in different classes, but if the C8 comes in near the same MSRP, they will at least be cross shopped by non-loyal buyers.

My problem with the GT500 is the cobbled together parts list.
'18 tail lights
'17 headlights
'20 front end
'17 INCANDESCENT fogs/turns
'15 interior

Last edited by TheSenator; 01-15-2019 at 09:32 AM.
hemistar1 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Plexoer
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 144 Posts

Worlds apart from a GT PP vs a 350. Handling. shifting the Tremec vs a M82, power, magride, exhaust note of the FPC, etc. And an R is even a better experience. I don't really want to get into specifics about which brand is better because the General certainly has its issues. But we can certainly start a tit for tat breakdown if you like. I wasn't opposed to owning a Z06 when I was looking. But I didn't want to be the 4th Z on the neighborhood block. Had the opportunity to own an R, without the ADM. In fact I bought it below MSRP. I've not had a better driving experience. As it stands, to this day, I've not seen another R in the wild. Maybe if I get to Cars and Coffee someday with my gray haired neighbor and his Z I might see another R. I've driven my neighbors auto Z around all day. Nice...heavy front end, I can take a bite of my sandwich and sip of Mr. Pib before between shifts on the auto... I can see why the grays like it now. Z06...7 2017's left on the lot near me. HEAVILY DISCOUNTED. Lol.
​​​​​​There's a reason why 4 people on your block have a Z and you have never seen another R.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the Shelby GT 500 and the C8 ....