Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM & confidentiality about the C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The leaked front and rear fascia photo and interior photos were not intentional leaks from GM.

Sadly, this is not correct. The actual photos that I referenced above were not something GM wanted any of us to see.
Not so sure. I'll put the facias as likely, and the interior extremely likely to be purposely leaked. The interior shots were blurred in areas that a camera would not blur on its own, such as what was on the infotainment display.

Last edited by Michael A; 01-16-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:14 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by MsEllie
Sounds reasonable. Military has been doing it for decades. UFO's are real, but stealth fighters, bombers, SR71 replacements and TR3B's are fake news. Great way to manage stuff. Worked like a charm for damn near 80 years and counting.
Tr3b's are hardly fake. They been around since at least the 90's add they are lower level SSP craft used to service and ferry personsel back as forth to low level Earth orbit space stations of which there are many. Those stations and tech are approx 50-70 years more advanced tech than current main stream tech we lowly people have access to. Those craft are used mainly by the air Force to maintain those stations etc.
The following users liked this post:
khartford (01-19-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

I always found it interesting to see the technology used to build OXCART and the SR 71 from the 1950’s and think no things have not progressed since then.

I would like to think we have some ultra badass aircraft out there.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I wouldn't risk it. They go to all that trouble, sneaking around, taking chances just to get an early picture of what we will all see on the road every day in the near future.

It makes ZERO sense. Does anyone here recall any fame or fortune that has come to anyone that leaked any spy photos of any generation Corvette to date? In 2019, is it even remotely important and does anyone even recall who had information about the C4, C5, C6 ? People risked their livelihood to leak pictures of what is now ancient history. Foolish.
Go back to OT numb nuts.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Do employees sign a contract about releasing secret company information when they are hired? The GM secrecy game about the ME is getting worn out and since it didn't appear at the Detroit Show maybe the marketing department will make a teaser add for the Super Bowl to keep the interest going.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Zerv probably managed to get somebody fired.

That, and managing to spread the fiction of 170k starting price far and wide.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:59 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Not sure what the "confidentiality" buys GM in terms of marketing advantages. Think of the reverse. Imagine if a year ago, GM started releasing real photos of design elements in this car. Better still, imagine if they used online sites to engage customers to be able to comment, and yes even vote/choose, some of the design elements of the car. Think of the marketing buzz such a process would generate - tremendous. In comparison to riding around with camouflage pads all over the car, and a one-time reveal which will yield maybe 24 hours of attention.
This is so wrong it's silly. People complain that Acura and Toyota botched the NSX and Supra launches because they took too long from acknowledging the car's existence to release. GM has not formally (other than Reuss saying C8 is coming) acknowledged the car. They have not started the process. Everything to date from the Holden test mule, to C7 parts bin test mules, to leaks etc. have all been development of the car and not marketing.

As for letting people choose... silly. Management by committee is horrible. There's a somewhat famous quote by Steve Jobs I believe that says, "People don't know what they want until you show it to them." This applies to new/advanced product development. People won't stretch... they'll tell you what they like already. The C7's dynamic rear styling (which I like very much in person) would have never happened. You'd have one group of people who demand a gutted racecar with a warranty and another group who wants a 4,000 lb insulated Lexus-style grand touring car.

Originally Posted by Philr56
Will GM stretch this out as long as Acura did with the EPIC FAIL NSX reveal? I certainly hope not.

GM, pull the fabric off the test mules. It's time the world sees the mid-engine game-changer.
GM hasn't stretched anything... they haven't started the reveal. Everything to date has been development that people have gotten spy info from. Acura had that NSX superbowl ad in like 2008 with Jerry Sienfeld and Leno and then the car didn't come out for nearly 10 more years. Toyota has similarly drawn out the POS Supra launch. GM can't be grouped with them when they haven't even started formally marketing the car.

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The leaked front and rear fascia photo and interior photos were not intentional leaks from GM. Sadly, this is not correct. The actual photos that I referenced above were not something GM wanted any of us to see.
Most interesting... I'd have figured those were planned. Were the leakers caught and handled?

The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Foosh (01-16-2019), Jeffer (01-16-2019), RandomTask (01-24-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Most interesting... I'd have figured those were planned. Were the leakers caught and handled?
GM doesn't plan leaks. Unlike what a lot of people here and elsewhere would like to speculate, it simply doesn't happen that way. GM does play the mis-information game, and they've been doing it successfully since at least the C5 era; read All Corvettes Are Red for more clues to that. But they don't intentionally leak actual information. It's simply not done and is an immediate terminating offense if the person is found out. No questions are asked. G'bye. You're done.

They're also very good at figuring out who's who.
The following 6 users liked this post by jvp:
Boiler_81 (01-16-2019), Bwright (01-17-2019), Foosh (01-16-2019), jagamajajaran (01-16-2019), Lavender (01-20-2019), RapidC84B (01-16-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 158 Posts

This is so wrong it's silly. People complain that Acura and Toyota botched the NSX and Supra launches because they took too long from acknowledging the car's existence to release. GM has not formally (other than Reuss saying C8 is coming) acknowledged the car. They have not started the process. Everything to date from the Holden test mule, to C7 parts bin test mules, to leaks etc. have all been development of the car and not marketing.

As for letting people choose... silly. Management by committee is horrible. There's a somewhat famous quote by Steve Jobs I believe that says, "People don't know what they want until you show it to them." This applies to new/advanced product development. People won't stretch... they'll tell you what they like already. The C7's dynamic rear styling (which I like very much in person) would have never happened. You'd have one group of people who demand a gutted racecar with a warranty and another group who wants a 4,000 lb insulated Lexus-style grand touring car.

GM hasn't stretched anything... they haven't started the reveal. Everything to date has been development that people have gotten spy info from. Acura had that NSX superbowl ad in like 2008 with Jerry Sienfeld and Leno and then the car didn't come out for nearly 10 more years. Toyota has similarly drawn out the POS Supra launch. GM can't be grouped with them when they haven't even started formally marketing the car.

OMG so true... letting the public design your car is a recipe for disaster... I remember reading something Bob Lutz once said about having customers help drive automobile designs ruins a good viable product. The point he made was that you can't design or redesign a car based on 10% (I'm being generous here) of the cars following are complaining about because you risk changing it too much that the other 90% don't want it anymore.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

If this is anything like the C7 launch, rest assured that the panic over when the car will be announced and corresponding information is only just the beginning. People are going to be complaining about allocation, price, why there car is in a rail lot with cracked tires, what there build status code means etc, green delivery truck spottings, etc. That's when the real chaos will begin.

Last edited by ZishanM; 01-16-2019 at 11:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ZishanM:
Boiler_81 (01-16-2019), Foosh (01-16-2019), RandomTask (01-24-2019), RapidC84B (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jvp
GM doesn't plan leaks. Unlike what a lot of people here and elsewhere would like to speculate, it simply doesn't happen that way. GM does play the mis-information game, and they've been doing it successfully since at least the C5 era; read All Corvettes Are Red for more clues to that. But they don't intentionally leak actual information. It's simply not done and is an immediate terminating offense if the person is found out. No questions are asked. G'bye. You're done.

They're also very good at figuring out who's who.
Hmmm... I value your opinion, but I find it hard to believe that GM wouldn't engage in the current trend of "viral marketing". Things seen as leaks get huge buzz. The folks I know (nobody special) confirmed the Jalopnik leak of the C7 was an actual leak and the person was terminated. Honestly, the Jalopnik leak of the C7 really stunk because it took some of the fun out of it. I like the teasers and slow build. When the shot of the C7 in the trailer leaked right before reveal I refused to look at it. I wanted the actual reveal to be exciting (and it was!).

Last edited by RapidC84B; 01-16-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

We'll know for sure if all the youtube / interweb info on the secret space program is true if China ever takes any of our satellites out. If they do then we have nothing up there that would have stopped it.

Originally Posted by Savoy2001

Tr3b's are hardly fake. They been around since at least the 90's add they are lower level SSP craft used to service and ferry personsel back as forth to low level Earth orbit space stations of which there are many. Those stations and tech are approx 50-70 years more advanced tech than current main stream tech we lowly people have access to. Those craft are used mainly by the air Force to maintain those stations etc.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Personally I hate leakers. I honestly do not care what a next gen car will look like. I care more about reading reviews of the car.

I work for the Fed Gov and we had an Agency wide (nationwide) webinar about something big coming up that EVERYONE needed to be on board for. All of the slides said, CONFIDENTIAL, yet I met with a client the very next day who was asking questions about what we talked about. I was floored. Couldn't believe all of it was known in less than 24hours. I just told the client that it was confidential and wouldnt discuss it regardless of what they knew.
John T (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by khartford
C8 Fans,I don’t work at GM but I know people who do. If you work in a sensitive or confidential area you must always have the camera lens of your cell phone covered with some special tape or you are fired on the spot.GM has their own “police squad” that investigates leaks. A leak can potentially cost the company $millions of dollars.

I have a friend who was a contractor /supplier to GM for many years. He had liberal access to GM for resources and engineering studies.
He put something on Facebook that they deemed inappropriate. The “Men in black” visited him and he was gone. No more relationship. I’ll guarantee they are monitoring this website and Cerv02 got their attention.

Think about the Corvette factory in Bowling Green KY. What are you hearing from the workers? Nothing.When a well –paid employee with a wife, kids, and mortgage lets something slip there is a good chance they will lose their job. Would you risk it?
Yeah, I'm sure GM wanted the C8 CAD drawings to leak on the web. Are you for real? I always wonder what the motivation is for someone to go around with such vibrant conspiracy theories, as if publishing detailed internal CAD drawings a year or more before the car is even mentioned by GM would somehow be a good idea.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Hmmm... I value your opinion, but I find it hard to believe that GM wouldn't engage in the current trend of "viral marketing".
They simply don't need to engage in it. Corvettes don't need to be marketed. They really haven't ever needed it.
RapidC84B (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Not sure what the "confidentiality" buys GM in terms of marketing advantages. Think of the reverse. Imagine if a year ago, GM started releasing real photos of design elements in this car. Better still, imagine if they used online sites to engage customers to be able to comment, and yes even vote/choose, some of the design elements of the car. Think of the marketing buzz such a process would generate - tremendous. In comparison to riding around with camouflage pads all over the car, and a one-time reveal which will yield maybe 24 hours of attention.
I think there is a real danger in a premature reveal. What excitement you might create will die off rather quickly and turn into endless impatience regarding "where is it" People get tired of waiting and move on to something else. I see zero gain in revealing too early and much to lose.
RapidC84B (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

JVP and myself are well connected...and what we do share is spot on correct. The Corvette Team and Bowling Green Plant Executives do NOT share confidential information about future product. I also know for a fact that the two photos that were leaked were not GM authorized or intentional. Furthermore, I know of several instances over the last couple of years where people lost their jobs for mishandling sensitive information. It's not a game with these guys, it's their career that is on the line.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
karlm (01-17-2019), Lavender (01-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To GM & confidentiality about the C8

Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I think we've used the terms "leaked" or "leakers" too imprecisely and/ or loosely here. True "leaks" have been nearly non-existent. However, some who have seen the car have strongly hinted at certain things, while at the same time honoring their commitments to not share any details.
jagamajajaran (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think we've used the terms "leaked" or "leakers" too imprecisely and/ or loosely here. True "leaks" have been nearly non-existent. However, some who have seen the car have strongly hinted at certain things, while at the same time honoring their commitments to not share any details.
Well apparently the paint shop picture of the fascia and the latest interior pictures are true leaks.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Tool, I stand corrected about the Acura. Didn't realize it was so long ago. I think we all agree that GM is playing the C8 close to the vest. I want the C8 to be revealed and I truly want GM to succeed. This is an epic moment.

Quick Reply: GM & confidentiality about the C8