Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Beaver
You asked for feedback so:

Your grammar is horrible
Your use of caps is annoying
Your run on sentences are annoying
It’s Camaro not Camero
This car will will not be 160,000 stop it
You don’t know any facts about the car
You don’t know there will no longer be a front engine Vette
You don’t know if this car will even make it to market it hasn’t been announced
Pontiac no longer exists so no, it will not be a Fiero.

Shall I go on? Take your meds and calm down. I hope this post was a joke. If so I will laugh with you. Otherwise I think you are a lunatic. Peace
I think the phrase needed here is ad hominem. Did you get your debate style from "The View"? If anyone needs meds, it might be the person that takes a difference in opinion as an affront.
The following 2 users liked this post by fnbrowning:
danm1 (01-16-2019), MsEllie (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Soooo much material in the OP post to chew on but, ultimately, it boils down to :

1. The car is coming.
2. There's nothing you can do to change anything about it.
3. (The advice you asked for) Be accepting of it or be frustrated by it but you aren't going to take many people with you on that ride...

So, which car will you be buying since you won't be buying a C8? Inquiring minds want to know.

Originally Posted by Joseph Parsons
Ok as a loyal Corvette enthusiast , I have followed the inception of the C8 with great care...[bunch of stuff in the middle]... GM is doomed....Doomed I say

Last edited by tcinla; 01-15-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
The volume of C8 sales will be a function of price. It appears it will be a huge change/upgrade in platform, style, technology and comfort. However, every market, regardless of loyalty, has a limit on elasticity of demand. Apple has the most loyal client base in the world. The recently discovered the upper price point for an iPhone, when the new 10s and 10s max missed sales projections. If the car is priced at $169,000 it will have a limited market and will slow down sales of the C7. GM has some big decision to make. We need to hope they get it right or it could have long term ramifications on overall Corvette program going forward.
^ This guy gets it. We're not all Richie Rich here. Few here can actually afford a ZR1, not to mention something significantly more expensive. And a 'frunk'?? FORGET IT!! We need the Corvette to pick up some groceries on the way home from the track, or allow a couple to pack for more than an overnight road trip.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

No one is going to build a car that pleases everyone (otherwise we would only need one car manufacturer). C7 design was enough to bring me back to the Corvette fold after a 20 year hiatus after owning two C4's. Some others I'd talked since the C7 intro hated the C7 (looks like a frickin' Ferrari was their complaint). I bought it because it looked like a Ferrari. Go figure.

C8 will likely alienate some and likely draw a whole new set of buyers.

Regardless of how anyone one of us feels about the Corvette GM decides to build, it's what will will be getting. You either buy it or not. Complaining isn't going to change a thing. Plenty of other stuff to buy if the C8 doesn't blow your kilt up.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
True. Hopefully, you buy two. And, make up for the one I won' t be buying.
I interpreted your original post to suggest that I might not like the Lectric Vette after suggesting the OP needed to accept the C8 changes. You know, a sauce for the goose kind of thing. And I disappointed you because not only do I like the idea; it is inevitable. It turns out YOU are the guy who doesn't like the idea of an Lectric Vette, not me. Now that's ironic. Of course that presupposes I will live long enough to see that happen. I hope so, but if the actuarial tables are correct, it will be a near run thing.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I interpreted your original post to suggest that I might not like the Lectric Vette after suggesting the OP needed to accept the C8 changes. You know, a sauce for the goose kind of thing. And I disappointed you because not only do I like the idea; it is inevitable. It turns out YOU are the guy who doesn't like the idea of an Lectric Vette, not me. Now that's ironic. Of course that presupposes I will live long enough to see that happen. I hope so, but if the actuarial tables are correct, it will be a near run thing.
Well, hopefully you will be around for the E Ray, or whatever they call it. I'll be 72 in March. I won't be buying a C8, C9, etc. I'll stick with what got me this far.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:30 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

OP, did you type that on your flip phone? I suggest you pick up a calendar and check what year we're in and try to at least be one decade behind at best! Thank God, majority of people don't have your backwards thinking!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Beaver
You asked for feedback so:

Your grammar is horrible
Your use of caps is annoying
Your run on sentences are annoying
It’s Camaro not Camero
This car will will not be 160,000 stop it
You don’t know any facts about the car
You don’t know there will no longer be a front engine Vette
You don’t know if this car will even make it to market it hasn’t been announced
Pontiac no longer exists so no, it will not be a Fiero.

Shall I go on? Take your meds and calm down. I hope this post was a joke. If so I will laugh with you. Otherwise I think you are a lunatic. Peace
I know, that was some hard reading.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by azferrari

problem solved
Originally Posted by gthal
that is an awesome garage!! I am so jealous :d great choices in cars...

^^^ +1
Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Man, that o.p. has a lot of disdain for a car, that according to manufacturer, does not exist.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 AM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, there are a lot of superbly maintained 50 year old Vettes out there, and if the C8 turns out to not be everyone's cup of tea, then there may be a run on C7's with manual transmissions (I actually believe this could happen). And then an owner would dedicate oneself to the enjoyment and preservation of an important and beautiful piece of automotive history.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Xanthophyll
My god, must we go through this every time a new generation is introduced?

Hey its time again to argue no more round tail lights for the next 3 years!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Not what these actual sales number showed. Thanks corvsport for this information.

Even in the 2018 calendar year, the C7 sold 18,750 units.

That graph isn't actual GM sales numbers. The link I posted is the actual amount of cars sold and official GM numbers - not the amount "produced". Sales year to year were down the first four years of the C7 vs the C6. That was when the C7 was supposed to attract all. those new customers but never did.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...-quarter-2018/

Originally Posted by smithers

Thats not even remotely true. The C6 had many years of <20,000 cars sold. C6 and C7 sales held fairly stable for the first 4 years they existed then started to slow. Sales of the C6 got really bad for many years because of the recession and it was past time to replace it with the next model.

After 4-5 years sales of any car start to slow. There are few exceptions. But it’s the reason most cars get redesigned every 5-6 years.
The C7 did sell well - just not as well as the C6. The mantra from GM was to outsell the C6 and bring in new customers. That didn't happen. And as you mentioned after 4-5 years sales slow down especially during the recession that took place towards the middle/end of the C6 life cycle.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:49 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Ok as a loyal Corvette enthusiast , I have followed the inception of the C8 with great care. Over the years I have watched our beloved Corvette go through many changes, some great ( Better build quality and engines) and some bad. (Losing our retractable lights in the C6, and getting ugly camero style taillights in the C7) those are just my personal preferences.. but through it all the vette has become a beautiful icon... UNTIL NOW...The C8 Corvette in my opinion, is utter garbage... and should be stopped from production. Or made into a special EDITION only model... Give us back our FRONT ENGINE... Give us back the floor shifter... DON'T make the interior luxurious like a Cadillac... give us the American dream Corvette.... front engine floor shifter... metal and carbon fiber SPORT interior... this thing is over 160,00 dollars, too pricey.. for most people we buy Corvette because WE can't afford Ferrari or Lamborghini Nor do we want them... So what does General Motors do? Turn an American icon into Euro trash... Just as out of range in price as it is far from being anything like the corvettes we have had for over 60 years...
Please tell me I'm not the only Corvette fan that feels like this... Personally I feel you can't call yourself a true Corvette enthusiast and accept this as the actual full time replacement to the C7.
This should either be a special EDITION stingray or rebrand this mess as a Fiero.. hell it would make an awesome Fiero...
In a nut shell this car is amazing for a Lamborghini, or Ferrari... but as a Corvette... it's an insult...
The Corvette over the years has become just as powerful as the exotic cars with American style and front engine configuration... something to be proud of, not to change to be just like them.. and it's not even a poor man's Lamborghini... cost more the a stock Ferrari..
. So give me feed back... Am I the only Corvette fan that feels like we should call the CEO of General Motors and say... Please dont run our icon... thanks but no thanks...... or am I just old, and should like how in less than a year our classic American icon will be European... a little change is one thing... but this is just too much in the European direction....
they toyed with the idea both in the seventies and Again in the 90s... it was dumb then , and still dumb... just when we are as good as the Europeans with our car, we have copy thier stuff... PS this cars specs are like 5 years ago for Ferrari btw.. if your going to copy the European market, at least make it better... what's next? 4 cylinder Camaro? Oh wait there doing that too.... GM is doomed....Doomed I say
Before I owned a Corvette I would have absolutely been all for the C8. When I was able to afford a Corvette I was always wanting them push the performance at all cost. Now I have one I like that you can buy a new one for 55k, fit two golf bags or large suit cases in the trunk even if you have the convertable top. I very much like it as a front engine car and am sceptical of the mid engine set up

I don't like the idea of an all electric corvette. I think it is a mistake to do now. I am however all in on the possibility of a hybrid, but not a plug in one. The Corvette's best feature is that it's ability to run the 24 hours at Lemans or drive
​​across country. Electric cars can't do that.

I wouldn't mind a 4 cylinder version. Even posted that once here and got mocked. Even though the first corvettes did not have a V8.

it should be noted:
​​​​​​1. The price is a rumor and speculation.
​​​​​2. It's possible we might not lose all the trunk space. The mid engine posche is proof.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
Soooo much material in the OP post to chew on but, ultimately, it boils down to :

1. The car is coming.
3. (The advice you asked for) Be accepting of it or be frustrated by it but you aren't going to take many people with you on that ride...

So, which car will you be buying since you won't be buying a C8? Inquiring minds want to know.
I would go to the Camaro with the 2.0T Ltg, or just keep my current corvette forever.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 01-16-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Actually, the C7 brought a lot more newer customers who never would have never previously considered a Corvette.

I'm sure the C8 will do the same.

Just because you don't like the changes doesn't mean they are not good. GM wants to sell these cars, not the same looking ones from 8-20 years ago.
And the C7 also caused a lot of established customers to not buy a new Corvette when the C7 rolled out of Bowling Green..
Old 01-16-2019, 07:16 AM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Ok as a loyal Corvette enthusiast , I have followed the inception of the C8 with great care. Over the years I have watched our beloved Corvette go through many changes, some great ( Better build quality and engines) and some bad. (Losing our retractable lights in the C6, and getting ugly camero style taillights in the C7) those are just my personal preferences.. but through it all the vette has become a beautiful icon... UNTIL NOW...The C8 Corvette in my opinion, is utter garbage... and should be stopped from production. Or made into a special EDITION only model... Give us back our FRONT ENGINE... Give us back the floor shifter... DON'T make the interior luxurious like a Cadillac... give us the American dream Corvette.... front engine floor shifter... metal and carbon fiber SPORT interior... this thing is over 160,00 dollars, too pricey.. for most people we buy Corvette because WE can't afford Ferrari or Lamborghini Nor do we want them... So what does General Motors do? Turn an American icon into Euro trash... Just as out of range in price as it is far from being anything like the corvettes we have had for over 60 years...
Please tell me I'm not the only Corvette fan that feels like this... Personally I feel you can't call yourself a true Corvette enthusiast and accept this as the actual full time replacement to the C7.
This should either be a special EDITION stingray or rebrand this mess as a Fiero.. hell it would make an awesome Fiero...
In a nut shell this car is amazing for a Lamborghini, or Ferrari... but as a Corvette... it's an insult...
The Corvette over the years has become just as powerful as the exotic cars with American style and front engine configuration... something to be proud of, not to change to be just like them.. and it's not even a poor man's Lamborghini... cost more the a stock Ferrari..
. So give me feed back... Am I the only Corvette fan that feels like we should call the CEO of General Motors and say... Please dont run our icon... thanks but no thanks...... or am I just old, and should like how in less than a year our classic American icon will be European... a little change is one thing... but this is just too much in the European direction....
they toyed with the idea both in the seventies and Again in the 90s... it was dumb then , and still dumb... just when we are as good as the Europeans with our car, we have copy thier stuff... PS this cars specs are like 5 years ago for Ferrari btw.. if your going to copy the European market, at least make it better... what's next? 4 cylinder Camaro? Oh wait there doing that too.... GM is doomed....Doomed I say
You're preaching to the choir here.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8

Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
That graph isn't actual GM sales numbers. The link I posted is the actual amount of cars sold and official GM numbers - not the amount "produced". Sales year to year were down the first four years of the C7 vs the C6. That was when the C7 was supposed to attract all. those new customers but never did.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...-quarter-2018/

The C7 did sell well - just not as well as the C6. The mantra from GM was to outsell the C6 and bring in new customers. That didn't happen. And as you mentioned after 4-5 years sales slow down especially during the recession that took place towards the middle/end of the C6 life cycle.
I keep hearing all that crap about how terrible the C6 sales were after 5 years and the drop on C7's sales is no different from previous generations after 5 years. Hogwash.

The C6's sales dropped because of the failing economy starting in 2008. The same economy that caused light vehicle sales in the USA to drop from 17 million to 10.6 million, and caused GM to declare bankruptcy in June 2009. It wasn't the falling sales of the C6 that caused GM's BK, but their dismal sales overall(trucks, sedans and SUV's). Those people had better look at the past 3 years of light vehicles sales in the USA, and then compare those numbers to the C7's sales numbers during the past 3 years.

People were spending their time looking for a job instead of spending that time trying to buy a new C6.

Compare the C7's sales after 5 years to the C5's sales after 5 years, when the economy wasn't screwing up things. 6th, 7th and 8th year sales of the C5 was not any worse that the 1st, 2nd, 3ed, 4th and 5th year sales numbers.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-16-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tcinla

1. The car is coming.

76 years old.
I'll probably just try and squeeze a few more years out of my 1956(less than 1,000 miles on a frame off restoration), or my 1964(~64,000 original miles on the original engine, transmission rear end and paint), or my 09 Z06 with 55,000 miles(and new aftermarket ported heads). I doubt between the three Corvettes I have, that I'll wear any of them out anytime soon.

As for looks, the 56, the 64 and the C6 Z06 are at the top of the list an all three get plenty of attention when I'm out driving them.

I might replace my 20 year old Mercedes sedan with another sedan or a crossover, but not with anything from GM(or Tesla).

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
The volume of C8 sales will be a function of price. It appears it will be a huge change/upgrade in platform, style, technology and comfort. However, every market, regardless of loyalty, has a limit on elasticity of demand. Apple has the most loyal client base in the world. The recently discovered the upper price point for an iPhone, when the new 10s and 10s max missed sales projections. If the car is priced at $169,000 it will have a limited market and will slow down sales of the C7. GM has some big decision to make. We need to hope they get it right or it could have long term ramifications on overall Corvette program going forward.
Great post and great example (Apple and iPhoneX price) of what happens when you escalate the price of new products too high.

Quick Reply: Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8