Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 05:57 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Azferrari

Problem solved
That's more like it!

Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 PM
NightSailor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been toying with the idea of a ZR1. I am temped by the convertible because it’d will be more rare but I lean towards the coupe to have room for my dogs. The the choices are automatic or stick. I’ve akeays been a stick guy, but after owning a tri-power ‘67 for decades, I know how hard that was to manage, it seems wiser to buy an automatic. I’d love to have the last of the front engine corvettes.

Back tobthe other topic. Someone was whining about cost. Well there are two different corvettes. The standard configuration (I lump the others in there two) and the ZR1. I’d probably be happy with a base level corvette at 1/3 the price.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Holy crap, buy a friggin' camaro then if you can't handle ME.
This should be GM's marketing tag line for the car.

The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime

Well this is a C8 forum not a C7 forum. So I’ll bash as much as I would like.

The C7 doesn’t deserve to be called a Corvette.

There are plenty of people that feel that way. And thankfully the C7 is about to die.

WTF?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Nadovedan

7:10 is not the benchmark, Chevy wants to run sub 7s and let’s face it the GT R is a180k car. Also, the car has the engine moved as close as it can to the cabin and don’t forget the rear wheel steering. The black series will be interesting but it’s not going
to set the standard for performance cars.
OMG, that would be amazing. ZL1 1LE ran 7:16 and that was fast as hell.

C7 Z06 ran it in 7:14: https://fastestlaps.com/models/chevr...orvette-z06-c7
Old 01-17-2019, 06:45 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
OMG, that would be amazing. ZL1 1LE ran 7:16 and that was fast as hell.

C7 Z06 ran it in 7:14: https://fastestlaps.com/models/chevr...orvette-z06-c7

​​​​​​The private data came out on Mero's C7 times. 7.10 for the Z06. The ZR1 never got a full lap but if you patch together the segment times it ran a 6.57.

Mero retirement collage with Ring times
Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm doubling down on what I have always believed. It is not replacing the front engine car. They will have two models. If I'm wrong I think they better be planning on much lower sales. Especially with no manual.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:10 AM
scrsws
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself, agree 110% The quintessential American sports car now looks like every other euro-trash supercar out there. Innovation, evolution and change are inevitable yes. However, without an understanding of what has made the Corvertte an American classic for nearly 70 years leaves you nothing to stand apart from the crowd.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Well this is a C8 forum not a C7 forum. So I’ll bash as much as I would like. The C7 doesn’t deserve to be called a Corvette. There are plenty of people that feel that way. And thankfully the C7 is about to die.
OK, I've owned two Corvettes (a 2007 C6 followed by a 2017 C7 Z51, both manual trans), I've been here on the forum for several years and that is without question the dumbest thing I've ever read on www.corvetteforum.com.

Well done.
Atari_Prime (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Parsons
Ok as a loyal Corvette enthusiast , I have followed the inception of the C8 with great care. Over the years I have watched our beloved Corvette go through many changes, some great ( Better build quality and engines) and some bad. (Losing our retractable lights in the C6, and getting ugly camero style taillights in the C7) those are just my personal preferences.. but through it all the vette has become a beautiful icon... UNTIL NOW...The C8 Corvette in my opinion, is utter garbage... and should be stopped from production. Or made into a special EDITION only model... Give us back our FRONT ENGINE... Give us back the floor shifter... DON'T make the interior luxurious like a Cadillac... give us the American dream Corvette.... front engine floor shifter... metal and carbon fiber SPORT interior... this thing is over 160,00 dollars, too pricey.. for most people we buy Corvette because WE can't afford Ferrari or Lamborghini Nor do we want them... So what does General Motors do? Turn an American icon into Euro trash... Just as out of range in price as it is far from being anything like the corvettes we have had for over 60 years...
Please tell me I'm not the only Corvette fan that feels like this... Personally I feel you can't call yourself a true Corvette enthusiast and accept this as the actual full time replacement to the C7.
This should either be a special EDITION stingray or rebrand this mess as a Fiero.. hell it would make an awesome Fiero...
In a nut shell this car is amazing for a Lamborghini, or Ferrari... but as a Corvette... it's an insult...
The Corvette over the years has become just as powerful as the exotic cars with American style and front engine configuration... something to be proud of, not to change to be just like them.. and it's not even a poor man's Lamborghini... cost more the a stock Ferrari..
. So give me feed back... Am I the only Corvette fan that feels like we should call the CEO of General Motors and say... Please dont run our icon... thanks but no thanks...... or am I just old, and should like how in less than a year our classic American icon will be European... a little change is one thing... but this is just too much in the European direction....
they toyed with the idea both in the seventies and Again in the 90s... it was dumb then , and still dumb... just when we are as good as the Europeans with our car, we have copy thier stuff... PS this cars specs are like 5 years ago for Ferrari btw.. if your going to copy the European market, at least make it better... what's next? 4 cylinder Camaro? Oh wait there doing that too.... GM is doomed....Doomed I say
GM already makes an inexpensive front engine manual vehicle, the Camaro SS. It’s 2019 and the Corvette needs to step up its game. Glad GM is doing so with the C8.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I'm doubling down on what I have always believed. It is not replacing the front engine car. They will have two models. If I'm wrong I think they better be planning on much lower sales. Especially with no manual.
GM isn’t especially interested in appeasing 55-65 year old men anymore. There are plenty of young drivers out there who couldn’t care less about a manual. Manuals are about 3 years away from going the way of the LP, until the obscure hipsters of the future decide its cool again and bring it back.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0415
"I hope you feel the same way when GM pushes an electric Vette on you."

89L98,

Just read your post. Now that is hilarious.... Love the one line humor, as I have always been a huge fan of Henny Youngman and Rodney Dangerfield.

Thanks for the laugh tonight,

Steve
If your pushing GM S Electric Vette then something has gone horribly wrong....

Clif
Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
I think a lot of people wants all the performance the new C8 will bring but doesn't like the cost of losing a lot of the Corvette heritage to obtain it. They are not against changes per say, it's letting go of 65 years of FE design. The long curvy hood with lots of cargo space. It will take some time for some to adjust.
Yes, pretty confident the farriers and carriage makers felt the same way.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 AM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Parsons
PS this cars specs are like 5 years ago
“PS” died in the 90’s. It’s now something like 2020. I suggest writing something creative, informative, artistic, humorous, unique, etcetera, and, then follow it up with a goofy #hashtag #killingtwobirdswithonestoner

Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha

GM isn’t especially interested in appeasing 55-65 year old men anymore. There are plenty of young drivers out there who couldn’t care less about a manual. Manuals are about 3 years away from going the way of the LP, until the obscure hipsters of the future decide its cool again and bring it back.
I hear this said often... but the average age of a new Corvette buyer is 62 now. In the C5 era it was 58 I believe. What that means is that those with the money to buy a brand new expensive sports car are getting older. The "young folks", in general, don't have the disposable income. You build a car to your buyer market while trying to appeal to a younger market so that when they're older they buy in. I think gm did a good job with the C7 styling/features etc. Personally, I'm 37 and I'm by far the youngest member of our local Corvette club. But I guess I'm not the norm in that I bought my first C5 Z06 at 22 fresh out of College when I had a job and no other expenses other than rent and beer money. Wouldn't change that at all!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

[QUOTE=Azferrari;1598692914]
Problem solvedGood for you. Great choices without the ridiculous and excessive bias that one sees in all aspects of life. Tunnel vision seems to occur everywhere. There are good and bad aspects to everthing in life. Of course those with tunnel vision never see that. Unfortunately for them they never know what they don't know. A self-destructive weakness.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by scrsws
Couldn't have said it better myself, agree 110% The quintessential American sports car now looks like every other euro-trash supercar out there. Innovation, evolution and change are inevitable yes. However, without an understanding of what has made the Corvertte an American classic for nearly 70 years leaves you nothing to stand apart from the crowd.
so what made it stand apart before me took over the performance world? Form must follow function, there’s a reason why me have similar attributes.
ArmchairArchitect (01-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8

Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

so what made it stand apart before me took over the performance world? Form must follow function, there’s a reason why me have similar attributes.
Just saw this elsewhere. It is a common statement but is it true? When it comes to the most iconic cars in history, form rarely follows function. The off angle pedals in a viper, the wing on a Countach, the top of the door on a Ford GT. None of them make any sense and yet they are part of what makes the car great.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Just saw this elsewhere. It is a common statement but is it true? When it comes to the most iconic cars in history, form rarely follows function. The off angle pedals in a viper, the wing on a Countach, the top of the door on a Ford GT. None of them make any sense and yet they are part of what makes the car great.
I didn’t say exact, I said similar. Nevertheless, the silhouette of most me cars are the same. Moreover, some things are subjective like the wing. For me it doesn’t make the car great but what the car can achieve on track. Is what makes it great.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

I didn’t say exact, I said similar. Nevertheless, the silhouette of most me cars are the same. Moreover, some things are subjective like the wing. For me it doesn’t make the car great but what the car can achieve on track. Is what makes it great.
If you take enough weight out and put enough power in, almost anything can be a great track car. The greatness is in the design and the styling. By modern standards a Nissan Maxima may get about the same track times as a GT40 or a 250GT. That doesn't make the Maxima great nor is their greatness dimished by the fact that they are old and no longer fast by modern standards. Their greatness is in what they are...works of art.

Quick Reply: Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8