Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
If you take enough weight out and put enough power in, almost anything can be a great track car. The greatness is in the design and the styling. By modern standards a Nissan Maxima may get about the same track times as a GT40 or a 250GT. That doesn't make the Maxima great nor is their greatness dimished by the fact that they are old and no longer fast by modern standards. Their greatness is in what they are...works of art.
Taking out weight and adding power is FAR from all it takes to make a great track car. Maxima ...

Last edited by gthal; 01-17-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Parsons
Ok as a loyal Corvette enthusiast , I have followed the inception of the C8 with great care. Over the years I have watched our beloved Corvette go through many changes, some great ( Better build quality and engines) and some bad. (Losing our retractable lights in the C6, and getting ugly camero style taillights in the C7) those are just my personal preferences.. but through it all the vette has become a beautiful icon... UNTIL NOW...The C8 Corvette in my opinion, is utter garbage... and should be stopped from production. Or made into a special EDITION only model... Give us back our FRONT ENGINE... Give us back the floor shifter... DON'T make the interior luxurious like a Cadillac... give us the American dream Corvette.... front engine floor shifter... metal and carbon fiber SPORT interior... this thing is over 160,00 dollars, too pricey.. for most people we buy Corvette because WE can't afford Ferrari or Lamborghini Nor do we want them... So what does General Motors do? Turn an American icon into Euro trash... Just as out of range in price as it is far from being anything like the corvettes we have had for over 60 years...
Please tell me I'm not the only Corvette fan that feels like this... Personally I feel you can't call yourself a true Corvette enthusiast and accept this as the actual full time replacement to the C7.
This should either be a special EDITION stingray or rebrand this mess as a Fiero.. hell it would make an awesome Fiero...
In a nut shell this car is amazing for a Lamborghini, or Ferrari... but as a Corvette... it's an insult...
The Corvette over the years has become just as powerful as the exotic cars with American style and front engine configuration... something to be proud of, not to change to be just like them.. and it's not even a poor man's Lamborghini... cost more the a stock Ferrari..
. So give me feed back... Am I the only Corvette fan that feels like we should call the CEO of General Motors and say... Please dont run our icon... thanks but no thanks...... or am I just old, and should like how in less than a year our classic American icon will be European... a little change is one thing... but this is just too much in the European direction....
they toyed with the idea both in the seventies and Again in the 90s... it was dumb then , and still dumb... just when we are as good as the Europeans with our car, we have copy thier stuff... PS this cars specs are like 5 years ago for Ferrari btw.. if your going to copy the European market, at least make it better... what's next? 4 cylinder Camaro? Oh wait there doing that too.... GM is doomed....Doomed I say
Maybe this ME should be a Cadillac, cost well north of $100k and let the C7 continue on with continued refinements and a re-style in a couple of years. I just started a thread wherein I warn that the C8 could end up killing the Vette.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
Maybe this ME should be a Cadillac, cost well north of $100k and let the C7 continue on with continued refinements and a re-style in a couple of years. I just started a thread wherein I warn that the C8 could end up killing the Vette.
Why would Chevy continue to build a car whose sales are declining?
The following users liked this post:
bebezote (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Holy crap, buy a friggin' camaro then if you can't handle ME.
Ignorant poster. The Camaro and Corvette are not in the same market place nor have they ever been.
DaveFerrari458 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Sorry but its move on or die. Loyal fans who bail out will be replaced by new loyal fans, thats the car business. Bought my first Corvette in 1960, a 57, but am not wedded to any specific brand.
Originally Posted by Hirohawa
The C7 never sold as well as the C6. Every comparable year of production was down.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...-quarter-2018/

So some may say they lost customers on the C7- buy only if you look at the actual numbers and facts versus PR marketing.
The C7 is more expensive than the C6, especially in dollars out of my pocket (versus sticker price). All of these guys thinking the mid engine will be affordable........I only have 1 question.........who manufactures a car, any car, with a me for less than $100k? If the new c7 is much h more expensive, gm will need ALOT of new buyers in higher income brackets. And will gm sell enough of these cars to be financially viable? What's that volume.......30,000 units annually? Is that(or whatever the number is) achievable?

How have the cars with similar designs sold?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RACE U
The C7 is more expensive than the C6, especially in dollars out of my pocket (versus sticker price). All of these guys thinking the mid engine will be affordable........I only have 1 question.........who manufactures a car, any car, with a me for less than $100k? If the new c7 is much h more expensive, gm will need ALOT of new buyers in higher income brackets. And will gm sell enough of these cars to be financially viable? What's that volume.......30,000 units annually? Is that(or whatever the number is) achievable?

How have the cars with similar designs sold?
In response to your question, Porsche Cayman... ME and less than $100K. Even the GT4 version was less than $100K.

Last edited by gthal; 01-18-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Zaro Tundov (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gthal
In response to your question, Porsche Cayman... ME and less than $100K. Even the GT4 version was less than $100K.
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...orsche-cayman/

3,179 units sold in 2018 in the U.S. As I've said before, there is zero proof that there is a market for an ME sports car for the amount of sales that the FE Corvette has commanded over decades here. Not one person has been able to counter this argument and I have been waiting.
JoesC5 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:32 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

3,179 units sold in 2018 in the U.S. As I've said before, there is zero proof that there is a market for an ME sports car for the amount of sales that the FE Corvette has commanded over decades here. Not one person has been able to counter this argument and I have been waiting.
I wasn't arguing anything... he asked someone to name a single ME car under $100K... so I did

Last edited by gthal; 01-18-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Nothing really to counter...
price it within 15 to 20% of the C7...and the sell the exact same amount ,in comparative years of the generation.
Its not even worth an argument ,regardless of engine placement .
Its a Corvette.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Total 718(Boxster/Cayman) sales were 5,276 in the US during 2018. But still a ultra low number.

No one has shown me that a mid-engine Corvette will be priced only $2.37 more than a front engine Corvette and no one has shown me that they can sell 33,000 of them a year. Year after year.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Total 718(Boxster/Cayman) sales were 5,276 in the US during 2018. But still a ultra low number.

No one has shown me that a mid-engine Corvette will be priced only $2.37 more than a front engine Corvette and no one has shown me that they can sell 33,000 of them a year. Year after year.
You’ve just answered the Corvette pricing secret Joe...
Only once they price it within a reasonable range of the previous generation ...it remains a Corvette.
Once it’s a Corvette,it sells like a Corvette .
Same volumes.
100%
Old 01-18-2019, 11:45 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Why would Chevy continue to build a car whose sales are declining?
GM counting on sales of other GM vehicles from the hype, excitement, and auto enthusiasts discussions about Corvette.

Some of this "value" is very hard to measure.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by RACE U
GM counting on sales of other GM vehicles from the hype, excitement, and auto enthusiasts discussions about Corvette.

Some of this "value" is very hard to measure.
And hard to show shareholders on the bottom line.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pietro c7

Nothing really to counter...
price it within 15 to 20% of the C7...and the sell the exact same amount ,in comparative years of the generation.
Its not even worth an argument ,regardless of engine placement .
Its a Corvette.
You have absolutely zero proof of that. The burden of proof falls on the mid engine supporters that Corvette won't lose a significant market by switching. You better hope you're right or you'll have effectively killed off America's Sports car.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

You have absolutely zero proof of that. The burden of proof falls on the mid engine supporters that Corvette won't lose a significant market by switching. You better hope you're right or you'll have effectively killed off America's Sports car.
This is just a really poorly thought out response as have been every single post about the new Corvette having possible issues selling at a reasonable price because it is mid engine. Its a Corvette, it will have a Corvette nameplate on it, and it will look good and perform better. It will sell just fine, it is an established brand, people will buy it just because it says Corvette on it and its the newest version.

With the DCT, no one will be able throw shade at it anymore, there will be no excuses to not purchase one, if I had Ferrari and Lambo money I would be all over the mid engine Corvette for an affordable toy to modify and track with no worry about possible depreciation hits to my exotics, while still having the Corvette that would likely stand toe to toe with them in performance.

The people stuck on the front engine platform are deluded plain and simple, the Corvette is a sports car not a damn sedan. Just because it has been rather soft around the edges in the past to accomodate the "old guard" there is no future catering to them anymore. Take a look at the things older folks have kept afloat that are suffering now, Harley Davidson and cruisers in general, Golf, etc. are suffering because they aren't able to excite newer buyers or enthusiasts. Harley has gone all in on electric motorcycles to salvage something from its business amd golf is doing anything and everything it can to get people on courses.
The Corvette is amazing amd has been amazing for decades, its just that the image this car has is that of a silver haired man drivong down the road with the top down, one chrome wheels, doing 5 under the speed limit. Anyone who disputes this is obviously out of touch with reality and except for those in that age demographic this does nothing to drum up new sales with younger buyers.

The mid engine, high tech C8 can change this, older folks will likely still be the primary buyers due to how most older people have amassed disposable money for the purchase of toys, versus the typical young person, but it will stand out as a truly "next generation" car which interests young people who have a tech obsession.

So no I don't worry about the C8 javing poor sales, because I can see how it can succeed and I doubt that GM has dumber people than myself running things.

Last edited by Supermassive; 01-19-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

i'm surprised i'm not reading much about cargo space. seems like every car i know with the trunk in the front has about enough room for a 12-pack. i know it's not the most important feature, but i do think it matters quite a bit to a lot of customers, potential or actual. it's amazing how much stuff you can cram in the back of a coupe. i really like that. i think if the space available is what i'm used to seeing in most such layouts, it's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for quite a few people. even when i got my '13 427, there were times when it mattered way more than i thought it might when i was first considering getting it. just a long-weekend away with the old lady had to include some extra thinking about how to budget what we were going to take along. the decrease in space wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but it might for some folks.

Last edited by o2baZR1; 01-19-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
This is just a really poorly thought out response as have been every single post about the new Corvette having possible issues selling. Its a Corvette, it will have a Corvette nameplate on it, and it will look good and perform better. It will sell just fine, it is an established brand, people will buy it just because it says Corvette on it and its the newest version.

With the DCT, no one will be able throw shade at it anymore, there will be no excuses to not purchase one, if I had Ferrari and Lambo money I would be all over the mid engine Corvette for an affordable toy to modify and track with no worry about possible depreciation hits to my exotics, while still having the Corvette that would likely stand toe to toe with them in performance.

The people stuck on the front engine platform are deluded plain and simple, the Corvette is a sports car not a damn sedan. Just because it has been rather soft around the edges in the past to accomodate the "old guard" there is no future catering to them anymore. Take a look at the things older folks have kept afloat that are suffering now, Harley Davidson and cruisers in general, Golf, etc. are suffering because they aren't able to excite newer buyers or enthusiasts. Harley has gone all in on electric motorcycles to salvage something from its business amd golf is doing anything and everything it can to get people on courses.
The Corvette is amazing amd has been amazing for decades, its just that the image this car has is that of a silver haired man drivong down the road with the top down, one chrome wheels, doing 5 under the speed limit. Anyone who disputes this is obviously out of touch with reality and except for those in that age demographic this does nothing to drum up new sales with younger buyers.

The mid engine, high tech C8 can change this, older folks will likely still be the primary buyers due to how most older people have amassed disposable money for the purchase of toys, versus the typical young person, but it will stand out as a truly "next generation" car which interests young people who have a tech obsession.

So no I don't worry about the C8 javing poor sales, because I can see how it can succeed and I doubt that GM has dumber people than myself running things.
Here I am, at "old fart" age 70, while driving over 160 MPH.

Here I am full of "**** & vinegar" at age 11 driving 5 under the speed limit.

I have even driven over the speed limit on occasion in my "old " 64.

Notice the supercharged 606 HP Callaway Grand Sport convertible next to my 64. It belongs to an "old fart" grandmother in her 60's and I know she was right on my Z06's butt at 145 driving out to Colorado. Her "old fart" husband, in his 70's, also drove 160+ in his C6 ZR1 at Talladega.

An "old fart" 82 year old grandmother drove her C5 coupe at 171 MPH, and that was on a 2 lane highway in Idaho, not a super smooth Super Speedway race track.

Oh, and the only speeding ticket I've received in the past 53 years was not in one of my Corvettes, but in my "old farts" Mercedes sedan.

You sure like to throw the insults at the senior citizen Corvette owners but you don't know **** about what you are talking about.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-19-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8

Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
This is just a really poorly thought out response as have been every single post about the new Corvette having possible issues selling. Its a Corvette, it will have a Corvette nameplate on it, and it will look good and perform better. It will sell just fine, it is an established brand, people will buy it just because it says Corvette on it and its the newest version.

It all depends upon price. Just because a car's nameplate says Corvette doesn't mean it will sell at any price. The $130K+ ZR1 is on pace to sell only 2K units in it's intro year when excitement about it was highest.

Please don't tell me that point was poorly thought out, and it's been the essence of the thoughtful concerns about sales and the future of the Corvette in an ME world. I happen to believe the ME will be offered in a range of $70K-ish to $150K-ish, and in that case I think it will do just fine.

There have been many thoughtful concerns about sales, which have been used to rebut those who seem to firmly believe it will start well north of $100K. It's future will be very much in doubt as an expensive "niche, halo car," which won't sell in sufficient volumes to survive long-term.

If C7 sales numbers are a reasonable barometer, which I believe them to be, 70% of sales were below $80K. The vast majority of folks aren't going to cross that barrier for a 2-seat sports car.

Halo cars like the Ford GT and Viper only appear on the scene for short runs and then disappear, perhaps making another brief appearance every decade or so..

Last edited by Foosh; 01-19-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Here I am, at "old fart" age 70, while driving over 160 MPH.

Here I am full of "**** & vinegar" at age 11 driving 5 under the speed limit.

I have even driven over the speed limit on occasion in my "old " 64.

Notice the supercharged 606 HP Callaway Grand Sport convertible next to my 64. It belongs to an "old fart" grandmother in her 60's and I know she was right on my Z06's butt at 145 driving out to Colorado. Her "old fart" husband, in his 70's, also drove 160+ in his C6 ZR1 at Talladega.

An "old fart" 82 year old grandmother drove her C5 coupe at 171 MPH, and that was on a 2 lane highway in Idaho, not a super smooth Super Speedway race track.

https://youtu.be/ifI1Nof3ZVs

Oh, and the only speeding ticket I've received in the past 53 years was not in one of my Corvettes, but in my "old farts" Mercedes sedan.

You sure like to throw the insults at the senior citizen Corvette owners but you don't know **** about what you are talking about.
Sigh,

The point is that the stereotype exists for anyone not "in" on the Corvette. I don't care about stereotypes which is why I bought a C7, but there are A LOT of people with the same perception that I outlined. You are also an outlier, the exception to the rule per se. When I would meet up with Corvette owner's groups in Phoenix, the stereotype was overwhelming, the few younger C7 owners that I did meet tended to shy away from the established Corvette meetups and instead went to meets and drives that featured imports due to the younger demographic.

Also if I never see chrome stick on additions on a Corvette again...it will be too soon.

*edit*
I am not insulting anyone, I am merely stating factual information from the perspective of people who aren't already in the Corvette fan club. You may have a few examples of older owners driving fast, but you can't say that you have never seen the ones I am talking about. I personally attended as many Corvette meets as I could because I began to love the Corvette as a brand, because of my C7 and hearing about all the cool cars that I missed out on due to my age, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't more in my element with the import scene.

Shouting that you don't fit the stereotype, and that it is an insult to Corvette owners that I would bring up the fact that this exists is kinda proving my point. Corvette owners are the most blind to what everyone else sees, because they can't relate. You have been a Corvette fan longer than I have been alive, I have been a fan for about 5 years give or take a couple months, before that I was heavy into imports, I've owned and modified more than few cars that in the import world are the "bees knees" like a Gen 3 and Gen 4 Supra, 3000GT VR4, 300ZX Turbo, and my most recent being a '13 Scion FR-S. When I bought my Corvette and brought it to a local FRS owners group meet that I helped establish, the first thing I heard was "who brought the old man's car?", of course everyone respects the car for what it can do, but the stereotype exists...just like how we bash BMW owner's and their "optional" turn signals.

This is a problem for GM, image is actually one of, if not the most important thing in today's materialistic society and to just blindly pull wool over your eyes and go full codger on me because you think I am personally attacking your lifestyle by bringing up the generalization you so vehemently protest, just goes to show that you really don't understand today's car market. If GM cannot make the Corvette the "cool" icon it was when you were young, for a new generation, it will eventually fail as a brand. The C7 was a great leap forward for Corvette. By embracing a more European design aesthetic and pumping it full of high tech gadgets it became interesting to younger people, the same people who think a Tesla is "cool"...a freaking Model X is a minivan and it is considered cool, that is a prime example of marketing an image. Its how Apple continues to sell the same phone every year to people with such incremental changes that its hilarious.

So I am sorry if I touched a nerve, but CorvetteForum is pretty crappy place to hang out in on its own, if you aren't visiting other owner's forums such as Ferrari, or Porsche, or Viper, or literally any performance car community, you have a very narrow perception of what everyone else thinks and honestly its all those people that GM should be trying to woo and not Jimmy the 35 year Corvette faithful purchaser, who may voice concerns but will likely buy regardless.

Last edited by Supermassive; 01-19-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It all depends upon price. Just because a car's nameplate says Corvette doesn't mean it will sell at any price. The $130K+ ZR1 is on pace to sell only 2K units in it's intro year when excitement about it was highest.

Please don't tell me that point was poorly thought out, and it's been the essence of the thoughtful concerns about sales and the future of the Corvette in an ME world. I happen to believe the ME will be offered in a range of $70K-ish to $150K-ish, and in that case I think it will do just fine.

There have been many thoughtful concerns about sales, which have been used to rebut those who seem to firmly believe it will start well north of $100K. It's future will be very much in doubt as an expensive "niche, halo car," which won't sell in sufficient volumes to survive long-term.

Halo cars like the Ford GT and Viper only appear on the scene for short runs and then disappear, perhaps making another brief appearance every decade or so..

In my eyes its really only about two scenarios, the ME has a higher starting price leaving room for a FE below it, think Porsche 718 and 911. On the other hand the ME is the new Corvette and it starts at a more accessible price as have all Corvettes generations to this point, that is part of the heritage. BTW, I'm not saying start at 60k but more like Foosh said 70k. If GM starts getting cute moving the base price up to the 100k point they will have a great first year or two then, not 30k units great, then volume will decline and the chatter will start about axing the whole thing.

PC

Quick Reply: Ok I need some advice. Am I the only one NOT HAPPY about the C8