Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoop side intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
Not since I was 7. Show us what you think it will be. It's on thing to criticize people when they put their opinions out there, but it's another to do that when you keep your opinions to yourself.
That's not how it works. Not with me anyway. You have a belief about the shape and location of the intake. Show me what your evidence is to arrive at this conclusion other than guessing what is hidden under the camo. Chaz has an equally inaccurate intake, yet he sticks to it, despite my objections. He thinks this is his art class. I think it is unfair to post things with authority and yet not know what the hell you are talking about.
I'm here to find out what the C8 is all about and I get pissed off with this type of conduct. It is no benefit to the members.
The OP starts this thread with a CFD rainbow color plot with lots of blue and red, and every color in between. He hasn't a clue what it represents. Should you accept it without hesitation or you should think about what you are trying to model? Do those colors make any sense when looking at the flow physics they are “trying” to represent? I’ve learned not to trust color plots unless I can prove they are meaningful and truly represent what I intend to solve. He draws no conclusion by offering these the two images. I use CFD add ons on my CAD programs but I require engineering knowledge to understand what the 'True" colors are. The most important things to understand when doing CFD analysis. Heck, I've covered this scoop about a thousand times on this forum with images. OK, I feel better now.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette
What color is his Vette?
What color is the moon? Who GAF?

I'm not a Shaka fan, however your assertion that he criticizes opinions wile withholding his own is completely laughable. You're a noob here. Speak not on things you don't know about others.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

While this rendition has been labeled the C8R, this image of what appears to be an unwrapped (no fake panels) side vent is still the best evidence of the ME side vent design vocabulary in existence. IMHO, when they finally pull off the ME camo-panels, the end result will look more similar to this than anything yet proposed.

Last edited by tomlink; 01-17-2019 at 03:55 PM.
ACCHRM (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

^^ except there is zero real evidence that there is no camo on that car.
John T (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
^^ except there is zero real evidence that there is no camo on that car.
What? The evidence is in what you see. Nothing is 'provable' until the General reveals the car, but until then we have to go with what we've got and it is all evidence.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tomlink
While this rendition has been labeled the C8R, this image of what appears to be an unwrapped (no fake panels) side vent is still the best evidence of the ME side vent design vocabulary in existence. IMHO, when they finally pull off the ME camo-panels, the end result will look more similar to this than anything yet proposed.

Tom, the line that begins on the top of rear fender gets a little crooked as it dives onto the door.
Shaka (01-17-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

John,

I know what you mean. It isn't clear to me that the anomaly is real or an optical illusion based on the way the light hits the fender. There is definitely a lot of movement on that panel which makes it difficult to interpret the shape(s) precisely.

My thinking on this being a true design feature, hidden in plain sight, is based on the typical use of camo pieces to make it difficult to determine the true design. Usually you see blocky, clunky pieces added to disrupt the visual lines of the vehicle.

That doesn't appear to be the case on the C8R side vent. The top edge of the opening flows back in a slight arc, with a beveled edge that expands in width, until it meets the bottom edge about six inches past the door. The bottom edge of the opening is, in contrast, knife-edged and traverses down at about a 45 degree angle, also with a slight arc which rapidly decreases in radius in the last third of its length until it ties into the rocker panel.

Having seen the video on how they camouflaged the Camaro mules, I know they are very good at misdirection. However, IMHO, that appears to be a lot of refined design effort just for some camo pieces.

Looking at the regular ME mules, the thin panel under the camo wrap does not cover the entire side vent. What is visible suggests similarity with the C8R vent design. Recent ME open-door images suggest the top edge of the side vent is an actual part of the door and not an attached piece of camo.

The point I was making is that, camo or not, the images of the C8R side vent are the only images of any version of ME without a side panel tacked on. Whether or not it is fake or indicative of the real design vocabulary remains to be seen. It is, however, the only open-vent example we have to date.

Of course, this is all conjecture. While waiting, it continues to be fun to bench-race this design!

Last edited by tomlink; 01-18-2019 at 05:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tomlink:
JoesC5 (01-18-2019), John T (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I see something more like this- a blended piece to the door rather than an apendage that seems fragile.

Quick Reply: Scoop side intakes