Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 may kill Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I was driving my '69 Vette when the '84 Vette was released. I thought it was a technological wonder(compared to the C3). Then, when my local dealer got one in, and I sat in it, and then tried to get out of it, my bubble burst. Then the local Walmart manger got one(a Z51) and after he was telling me about how it rode like a log truck, I didn't spring for one. Around 1991, I took a second look, but still not convinced,, so I waited, and got a much improved C5 shortly after it was released.
Yeah my first Vette was an '84 we bought at the auction with 6K miles when I was 30 yrs old, a 4+3 manual with Z51. It was a truck. Dumped that at the auction a couple years later for an '87 manual, improved from the '84 and it was the Corvette of the day, we didn't know any better. My last C4 was an automatic '95 new from the dealer and I barely made a year in that one. It was on to the C5s from there. I didn't fully realize what turds the C4s were until I got my hands on a new C5 and never looked back. You could not give me a C4 at this point, they seemed alright while they were current but are a joke and a bad memory now. Each consecutive generation of Corvette from there has been a very significant upgrade and refinement. I can't wait to get into a C8
Old 01-27-2019, 11:35 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

It’s truly amazing that this forum after almost 20 years of existence can still turn just about any thread out there into a C4 bash....the irony is that no other generation of Corvette has accomplished what the C4 did during its era. People compare a C4 to a 5, 6,or 7...why? No one compares a C1, C2, or C3 to a C5 right? It must have had done something right.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-27-2019 at 11:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SurfnSun:
Boiler_81 (03-27-2020), lt4obsesses (01-28-2019), Rapid Fred (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
It’s truly amazing that this forum after almost 20 years of existence can still turn just about any thread out there into a C4 bash....the irony is that no other generation of Corvette has accomplished what the C4 did during its era. People compare a C4 to a 5, 6,or 7...why? No one compares a C1, C2, or C3 to a C5 right? It must have had done something right.
This stuff reminds me of the grouchy old men at car cruises in folding chairs who think there is no Corvette better than a cast iron big block C3. Reality is that the Corvette improves significantly with each successive generation. C1s, C2s, C3, C4s, are grossly inferior to the current generation whether those of us are fixated in the past or not. Some are most uncomfortable with that reality and resort to name calling. Everything changes, The earlier generations of Corvettes are now antiques and the majority of us have no more interest in a C4 than we do in a stinky old 50s era sedan because they are slow, uncomfortable, and very poor vehicles compared to what we drive today. No one is insulting you personally when they point out the short comings of vehicles that are now antiques and nothing more than that.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM
isellpower
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
by your reasoning the 911 is actually more of a GT than the Corvette, but everyone considers the 911 to be a "real" sports car
What? The 911 and all of its variants, sans the GT cars are the very definition of a GrandTouring car.

Last edited by isellpower; 01-28-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

By all practical standards, the 911 is a 2-seat sports car. Those little "jumpseats" are not actual rear seats, except for tiny humans, but they have persuaded many spouses to accept a 911 purchase so little kids can ride with mommy and daddy.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Old people in mind. LOL How old do you think I was in 1984 or in 1997?

And in 1997 my C5 was faster than a 150 MPH C4(by 26 MPH) quicker accelerating, and could corner better and brake faster than the C4. Also, in 2009 my "old people's" car, a C6 Z06 was also faster than a 150 MPH C4(by 48 MPH), way quicker accelerating, can corner better and brake faster than the "young man's" C4. LOL

When this "old people" was 70, I was driving my C6 Z06 faster around Talladega some 12 MPH than a "young man" can drive his 150 MPH C4 around that track.

Nice thing about my C5 and my C6, is that they don't beat you to death while driving at 60 MPH or at 160 MPH.

But the C4 is faster, quicker, can corner better and brake better than with my 1956 or my 1964, but I bet I get more complements than a C4 owner gets when I stop for gas.
I've never understood people's aversion to a firm ride. I had an 84' with Z51. I thought it rode great. I like feeling the road. Sure, bumps were a little jarring but I always been completely ok with that. I later had a 90' Vette as well. Except for the body panels, the cars couldn't be more different. I prefer the firm ride of the 84'.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by punky
This stuff reminds me of the grouchy old men at car cruises in folding chairs who think there is no Corvette better than a cast iron big block C3. Reality is that the Corvette improves significantly with each successive generation. C1s, C2s, C3, C4s, are grossly inferior to the current generation whether those of us are fixated in the past or not. Some are most uncomfortable with that reality and resort to name calling. Everything changes, The earlier generations of Corvettes are now antiques and the majority of us have no more interest in a C4 than we do in a stinky old 50s era sedan because they are slow, uncomfortable, and very poor vehicles compared to what we drive today. No one is insulting you personally when they point out the short comings of vehicles that are now antiques and nothing more than that.
But...not all of them were as slow as you make it sound. Yes the early cars with 205-230hp are not a quick/fast today, but the other guy who insinuated that all C4s ran 150...conveniently ignored the 170mph 96 LT4, the 180mph ZR1, and the 191mph Callaway twin turbo. Fast by today's standards no...respectable? Absolutely. Ive put well over 100k miles on C4s...they aren't that uncomfortable. They have the best visibility of any of the new gens, and the best seats without a doubt. The C7 sport seats are some of the most uncomfortable Ive ever experienced. The Callaway recaro racing seats are way more comfortable to me.

Some guys can only afford a C4 or they like them bc that's what they grew up with...why do people always feel the need to trash them on this forum? Seems like a massive need for justification/acceptance/self-worth.

Again, no generation of Corvette since C4 has accomplished what it did in comparison to the competition. People already sling mud at the C7z for its overheating issues....how do you think that will age?

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DoctorV8 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

But...not all of them were as slow as you make it sound. Yes the early cars with 205-230hp are not a quick/fast today, but the other guy who insinuated that all C4s ran 150...conveniently ignored the 170mph 96 LT4, the 180mph ZR1, and the 191mph Callaway twin turbo. Fast by today's standards no...respectable? Absolutely. Ive put well over 100k miles on C4s...they aren't that uncomfortable. They have the best visibility of any of the new gens, and the best seats without a doubt. The C7 sport seats are some of the most uncomfortable Ive ever experienced. The Callaway recaro racing seats are way more comfortable to me.

Some guys can only afford a C4 or they like them bc that's what they grew up with...why do people always feel the need to trash them on this forum? Seems like a massive need for justification/acceptance/self-worth.

Again, no generation of Corvette since C4 has accomplished what it did in comparison to the competition. People already sling mud at the C7z for its overheating issues....how do you think that will age?
I'll be the 1st guy to agree with you on the C7 sport(competition) seats. They are absolutely awful especially for anyone with some upper body size. All the posting in the world on your part will not change the overwhelming negative attitude towards the C4. Ever wonder why you can buy a C4 for less than a C3?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:22 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

I'll be the 1st guy to agree with you on the C7 sport(competition) seats. They are absolutely awful especially for anyone with some upper body size. All the posting in the world on your part will not change the overwhelming negative attitude towards the C4. Ever wonder why you can buy a C4 for less than a C3?
I don't think my posting will change anything, it doesn't make it right thought. People should be more secure in their decisions instead of needing to justify

BTW, You can also buy a C6 and C7 for less than the cost of a C4...

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-28-2019 at 12:24 PM.
CorvetteBrent (01-31-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Unpopular fact, the C4 ZR-1 was faster than any C5 made. GM did this on purpose to avoid offending the audience of the fastest and most expensive Corvette ever produced up to that point. The C5 was a more well rounded evolution of the brand with better components and interior design and was the most widely regarded Corvette in recent history. Arguably the penacle of Corvette popularity. Regardless, C4s are wonderful cars and so are the C5s. No need to bash each other or try to say one is better than the other. They are different flavors of the same tea. Let's instead waste our time bashing Porsche or the like instead.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 01-28-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Rapid Fred (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:33 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

I don't think my posting will change anything, it doesn't make it right thought. People should be more secure in their decisions instead of needing to justify

BTW, You can also buy a C6 and C7 for less than the cost of a C4...
Wrong. Educate yourself. The average C3 has a much higher book value that the average C4. There is a reason for that.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:52 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Wrong. Educate yourself. The average C3 has a much higher book value that the average C4. There is a reason for that.
more cherry picking posts. Here are a couple of winners

Fact...a rare or top option C4 sells for more than a base C6-C7, or any C5. The rarest C4s sell for more than ANY C7...new or used. Weird.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-28-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:07 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

more cherry picking posts. Here are a couple of winners

Fact...a rare or top option C4 sells for more than a base C6-C7, or any C5. The rarest C4s sell for more than ANY C7...new or used. Weird.
Sir, do your self a favor and learn how to read and comprehend on a basic level in English before you attempt to educate anyone. I am referring to the price of the average C4 vs C5 as was clearly stated in my post.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:19 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

And here come the insults so predictable

No, I read your post...but there is no refuting the point I made. I’m not saying I disagree w you, I just made a factual point.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-28-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:46 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

It is so lonely at the top! When is the last time one bashed the little AMC pacer? or a ford explorer? Reminds me of the bashing my favorite NCAA football team gets each year.....Roll Tide!! (so lonely at the top....well okay, mostly) Point is an object of ridicule has to be relevant to be on the receiving end of such slings and arrows. The Corvette is relevant in spades!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:43 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Unpopular fact, the C4 ZR-1 was faster than any C5 made. GM did this on purpose to avoid offending the audience of the fastest and most expensive Corvette ever produced up to that point. The C5 was a more well rounded evolution of the brand with better components and interior design and was the most widely regarded Corvette in recent history. Arguably the penacle of Corvette popularity. Regardless, C4s are wonderful cars and so are the C5s. No need to bash each other or try to say one is better than the other. They are different flavors of the same tea. Let's instead waste our time bashing Porsche or the like instead.
Are you talking about top speed? If so who cares? By like 10mph too...
These are sports cars, what matters is how they perform on a road course, how they handle and how they feel. The C5 Z06 does everything better than the C4 ZR1 with the exception of having a ~10mph lower top speed.
I don't want to bicker between Corvettes so I will just say Porsche sucks, so there.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are you talking about top speed? If so who cares? By like 10mph too...
These are sports cars, what matters is how they perform on a road course, how they handle and how they feel. The C5 Z06 does everything better than the C4 ZR1 with the exception of having a ~10mph lower top speed.
I don't want to bicker between Corvettes so I will just say Porsche sucks, so there.
The c4 is WAY more engaging than the newer cars. Its a lot more analog feeling, and the cars just drive great. They may not perform as well as newer variants, but thats to be expected of progress. When your new car is slower than your old one... thats a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 may kill Corvette

Old 01-28-2019, 09:55 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

One of the things that could kill the Corvette is if it looks like some of the renders we've seen on here that are rather bland or awkward looking but I have faith in the Corvette team that they will bring out a stunningly beautiful car!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The c4 is WAY more engaging than the newer cars. Its a lot more analog feeling, and the cars just drive great. They may not perform as well as newer variants, but thats to be expected of progress. When your new car is slower than your old one... thats a problem.
It was a more analog feeling because it was still very much an analog car. There was the ASR, which would push the gas pedal back at your foot when the rear tires spun, but other than that, no traction control, no nannies. Mine was a '96 LT4. It would get up and go, for what it was. But after the Hotcam and the light flywheel went in, it was much better. By '96 the suspension had gotten a lot softer. I put the stiffer Bilsteins in mine and that helped firm it up a little bit. What I really like about that car was the fact that when you got in it, you didn't sit in the car, you felt like you were wearing the car. But, yeah, 3 generations and 23 years later, technology at every level from engineering to manufacturing, the C4 is what it is, an old Corvette, and that's not necessarily a bad thing to everyone.
Atari_Prime (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Before I bought my first ZR-1, I test drove one back to back w the C5 Z06. The difference in their “personalities” was apparent from the start. Yes, you crawl into the C4, but once in there, u felt integrated w the car. I felt I was sitting on top of the C5. The C5 felt quicker while the C4 felt a bit more “lumbering”. It was like the difference between driving a go-kart v a sedan. The C5 felt very capable in the corners, while the C4 Z was definitely more of long distance cruiser. No question I preferred the layout and frankly the quality of the C4 interior much more than the C5 or the C6 for that matter. Gives credence to why perhaps the interior guys paid homage to the C4 with the C7 interior.
I have used this analogy before when comparing the generations. C5Z = quarter horse, C4Z = Secretariat. Both very capable of what they were intended for.
Atari_Prime (01-29-2019)

Quick Reply: C8 may kill Corvette