Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The side scoop conspiracy lives on

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts
Default The side scoop conspiracy lives on

So, I think all the conspiracies are rubbing off on me. Some folks have persisted in saying that the body panels for the side scoop on the C8 are fake and what really lies beneath is a side inlet that follows the curve of a 58' thru 62' Vette. Well, after looking at some of the photos again, I'm not sure they are wrong.

Take a look at the photos below. I haven't altered anything in the photos, only adjusted the light levels and contrast in hopes of revealing some detail. And what I'm seeing is that the side scoop looks to be covering part of a scoop below. The top part with the door handle seems to be real enough, but as soon as you move past the door, it seems that the real shape of the curve may be hidden under a panel. The smoking gun seems to be the shape of the curve that starts to emerge under stress at high speed or under the right light, also shape of the scoop seems to change in some photos. Take a look, enjoy, thoughts are welcome.

P.S. Not sure where the C8R panels fit into all this. Every panel on the C8R is custom. Hard to say if the General is smart enough to create fake panels for that to mess with us.

The following 2 users liked this post by Atari_Prime:
firstvettesoon (01-23-2019), IronV (01-24-2019)

Popular Reply

01-23-2019, 06:15 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

This photo clearly shows the faux panel covering the real side scoop outline.

This photo was taken at the same time frame as the McDonald's photos. The faux panel above covers the same approximate area as is revealed in the fabric camo beloe.

This photo clearly shows the same faux panel. This panel is too thin for a production vehicle.

This photo shows the C8 at speed at the ring with the faux panel collapsing inward under aerodynamic pressure.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

since we can see the edge, it can't be going back TOO far. IF that is real : )

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
IronV (01-24-2019), RapidC84B (01-24-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:15 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

This photo clearly shows the faux panel covering the real side scoop outline.

This photo was taken at the same time frame as the McDonald's photos. The faux panel above covers the same approximate area as is revealed in the fabric camo beloe.

This photo clearly shows the same faux panel. This panel is too thin for a production vehicle.

This photo shows the C8 at speed at the ring with the faux panel collapsing inward under aerodynamic pressure.

Last edited by DanSavage; 01-23-2019 at 06:15 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by DanSavage:
dmaxx3500 (01-25-2019), dreamr616 (01-23-2019), IronV (01-24-2019), LB001 (01-23-2019), RapidC84B (01-24-2019), rsvette12 (01-23-2019), Shaka (01-23-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-24-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:22 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Thank you Dan,
It shouldn’t even be disputed.Its right there.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

One last photo that actually shows the real scoop inside the faux scoop. The area pointed to by the uppermost red arrow is difficult to see in this photo.

The following 3 users liked this post by DanSavage:
mammoth713 (01-26-2019), RapidC84B (01-24-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
So, I think all the conspiracies are rubbing off on me. Some folks have persisted in saying that the body panels for the side scoop on the C8 are fake and what really lies beneath is a side inlet that follows the curve of a 58' thru 62' Vette. Well, after looking at some of the photos again, I'm not sure they are wrong.

Take a look at the photos below. I haven't altered anything in the photos, only adjusted the light levels and contrast in hopes of revealing some detail. And what I'm seeing is that the side scoop looks to be covering part of a scoop below. The top part with the door handle seems to be real enough, but as soon as you move past the door, it seems that the real shape of the curve may be hidden under a panel. The smoking gun seems to be the shape of the curve that starts to emerge under stress at high speed or under the right light, also shape of the scoop seems to change in some photos. Take a look, enjoy, thoughts are welcome.

P.S. Not sure where the C8R panels fit into all this. Every panel on the C8R is custom. Hard to say if the General is smart enough to create fake panels for that to mess with us.

What looks to be an extension of the scoop is actually a removable section to access the ducting (Dark Blu) Once the aero guys have decided what is best ducting shapes, the production quarter panel will cover the ducting.

The placement of the intake at the Coke Bottle curve causes attachment and eliminates the boundary layer. The squiggles represent separation which is expected in this region. Dark blue is the housing for the ducting. Red is higher pressure. Light blue is low pressure. Squiggles are separation.

Red is higher pressure. Turbulence is caused by ridges.

2 ways of avoiding the boundary layer. Elevate the scoop or a bleed off from the compressor.

Cover the mess after all the development work has been done with the production 1/4 panel. No ugly swollen wart bulgy things.

Last edited by Shaka; 01-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IronV (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Below is the famous Ring photo with light tweaked a bit. In the past some have argued that the line we see is just a shadow that helps create the curve is just a shadow. But a shadow of what? Not the side mirror, that is in front of this spot. Not the top edge of the panel, its too pointy. The remainder of the panel should be covered in shadow as well. Also, the shadows we see are a completely different color than the line going down the side. If it were the shadow of the panel above we should see a smother transition as it moves backward across the panel.

Also, shadows do not seem to account for the dark area curving beneath the bottom of the door.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DanSavage
One last photo that actually shows the real scoop inside the faux scoop. The area pointed to by the uppermost red arrow is difficult to see in this photo.

YEP.... you can see the thicker scoop wall but note the enhanced contrast image. Can sort of make out the angles. To my eye the edges don't look to go further back TOO far. More than the thin cover but not so far back or we would loose it in the scoop.

I would be very surprised if the scoop were "rounded" at all. Just won't go with the rest of the cars sharp angles and flat features. I could be wrong...

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-23-2019 at 08:02 PM.
IronV (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Two scenarios to me:

1. It's 100% a fake panel and the real car won't have it there and the inlet will resemble the CERV concepts and C1 cove shapes.

2. It will be a contrasting color or carbon fiber so that the visual appearance is the same as #1, but maybe it will functionally ingest more air?

Regardless the pics above clearly show a very thin panel covering a thicker edge that goes further back.
firstvettesoon (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

What does everyone make of this?

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 01-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.
John T (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

In what way?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
YEP.... you can see the thicker scoop wall but note the enhanced contrast image. Can sort of make out the angles. To my eye the edges don't look to go further back TOO far. More than the thin cover but not so far back or we would loose it in the scoop.

I would be very surprised if the scoop were "rounded" at all. Just won't go with the rest of the cars sharp angles and flat features. I could be wrong...

You might be seeing an outer quarter panel covering and an inner duct. Obvious that they can't be made as one piece.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

most every panel on the car is/could be ''FAKE''

the over-all shape of the car is close,
Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
In what way?
Only that the picture I posted is a screen grab from the latest video, and obviously the camo team have gone to some trouble to change things. The upper curve of the scoop, and all the padding over the passenger door, for instance.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:19 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

One only needs to look to the C8-R for confirmation that the prominent side scoop is real. They would not test a race car for competition with a fake side scoop.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 01-25-2019 at 11:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
CorvettoBrando (01-25-2019), firstvettesoon (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:31 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
One only needs to look to the C8-R for confirmation that the prominent side scoop is real. They would not test a race car for competition with a fake side scoop.
Normally I agree... but for this new car I could see P&M making a "test scoop".
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

That's the part that is confusing. You can clearly see the vent on the regular C8 deform in several shots. Therefore, it has to be either a) a temporary panel to test designs, or b) a fake piece of plastic and tape to cover the real design/shape underneath. The latter seems more accurate based upon the available info. The C8R doesn't have any of these hidden elements, however, every single panel on the C8R is different from the regular C8, especially the rear hatch area which is more flat straight to the bumper kinda like a Europa. This doesn't match the C8 dimensions at all.

Get notified of new replies

To The side scoop conspiracy lives on

Old 01-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Also would normally agree if it were full-scale testing, but I suspect P&M are just getting started on testing and developing the race trim version of the car. I suspect Daytona 2020 will be the first race, in which case they have full-year to get there.

That's the part that is confusing. You can clearly see the vent on the regular C8 deform in several shots. Therefore, it has to be either a) a temporary panel to test designs, or b) a fake piece of plastic and tape to cover the real design/shape underneath. The latter seems more accurate based upon the available info. The C8R doesn't have any of these hidden elements, however, every single panel on the C8R is different from the regular C8, especially the rear hatch area which is more flat straight to the bumper kinda like a Europa. This doesn't match the C8 dimensions at all.
Every single panel is different on the C7R than on the street models. Almost every single panel is also different on the narrow- vs. wide-bodies.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-25-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:59 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

While it is true that many of the the panels on the C8R are different, i.e. not the same exact panels, as the streetcar, they are essentially the same profiles. Exaggerated yes, but essentially the same shape. I did and overlay a while back that showed that the race car and the streetcar share a very similar design envelope and styling cues.

I also posted a comparison between the front engine and mid engine cars using Ferrari as example. The C8 seems, at least for the moment, to be on par with the 488 in terms of size and general shape. The Ferrari 488 race version is nearly identical to the street version. I feel that the C8 Will share much of the same overall styling as the race car will be at a bit toned down.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:12 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Putting aside for the moment, the question of whether or not the panels are exactly the same between the two cars, the shapes are very very similar. Overall feel of the car is the same. The rear hatch and deck seems to be identical to the streetcar. The entire rear clip seems to be identical at least in shape. Of course it may have been widened a bit.

I would think that the purpose is to have a Racecar that looks enough like the streetcar to attract attention to the brand.

The V shaped scoop has been seen and also described by eyewitnesses to be close to the street production version, at least one of them.

of course, we know nothing for sure and I are merely grasping at straws’s in an attempt to figure out this design. Hopefully it won’t be much longer before we start getting some real information and images

Quick Reply: The side scoop conspiracy lives on