Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 inventories affecting C8?

Old 01-26-2019, 09:55 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
Are large C7 inventories going slow up the C8 release?
No, if anything, just the opposite. Slow sales of the C7 will put pressure on BG to get moving on the ME. GM is in the new car business. If releasing a new model improves sales, that's what they'll do. If the C7 was selling well, that might delay the ME car.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I think GM will produce both the C7 and C8 for a while to see what happens. Some people won't like the C8, because it's too radical a departure from prior Corvettes, or because it has less storage space, or because the first-year C8 will be slower than the C7 ZR1, or for various other reasons. I don't see why GM would want to lose Corvette sales to those people.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Making a lot of them is the key to it's success. The car is not suppose to be "exclusive", in fact, just the opposite, it was planned to be "inclusive". For many, Corvette is not a car, it's a way of life. Weekend cruises with fellow enthusiasts, shows, gatherings, clubs, get togethers of all sorts at all times. Road trips, vacations, all of it.

The other half of it that really drives profit for GM comes from those used Corvettes that can be had for a song. Parts and service create huge revenue numbers for both GM and dealerships. The more 'older' Corvettes on the road, the better for them, and for you. Not to mention the licensing money they get from aftermarket manufacturers of all those shiny under hood thingies boasting the crossed flags on them. Economy of scale keeps your car relatively cheap to maintain and repair. The Corvette is the high performance sports car that you can actually drive and enjoy. When GM gets too full of themselves and start trying to make the Corvette "exclusive", that will be the end of the Corvette.

As far any delay, there is no delay, because there is no car in the official sense. There was never an announced target date. The C8, in whatever form it may be, is still, simply, in development. That said, when the car is ready, they will not hesitate to reveal it to the World, regardless of how many C7's are still on the ground in inventory. GM will want to start collecting return on investment ASAP. C7's on the ground are already paid for. From a dealer's perspective, they would much rather see the profit from selling a lot of C8's at sticker or more for two years. That will more than cover moving the remaining C7's below invoice to clear them out.
I've never really had a problem with the corvette being a bargain performance car. That's where it shines best. Make it limited production, same performance, higher cost.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:20 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
C7s will fall to high 30s to sell if the ME is the best ever. 2019 C7 will be bargain rate.... when that happens expect 2014 30-40k miles to be 25-27K
For leftover 2019/2020's - Probably less impacted if the C8 base price is $75k or higher.

...and used 2014 - 2016 C7 is totally different target market than a new C8 of any price.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:58 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I think GM will produce both the C7 and C8 for a while to see what happens. Some people won't like the C8, because it's too radical a departure from prior Corvettes, or because it has less storage space, or because the first-year C8 will be slower than the C7 ZR1, or for various other reasons. I don't see why GM would want to lose Corvette sales to those people.
It amuses me so many people think that car companies make decisions just to see what happens, or to keep a conginency in place. OEMs simply don't do that, if both are produced it will be because of a very particular market reason (ie mid-Engine is a Caddy and FE is Corvette). They have lots of money into their marketing departments,, they know how people are going to react.

The only recent example of an old and new generation of a particular model being built simultaneously I can think of was the JK and JL Wranglers, and that was for the opposite reason: they sold so well the plants were running at full capacity trying to catch up on old JK orders while also sending out new JL. Even then, it was less than a year of overlap, the two models weren't anywhere near as dissimilar as a ME and FE Corvette, and both were selling at capacity. It wasn't just to see how things went. If the ME is a C8, the FE is dead, at least for that generation.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
Foosh (01-28-2019), kenownr (01-30-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 03:53 PM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
Are large C7 inventories going slow up the C8 release?
That is my sentiments. The C8 appears to be ready for launch. Mules appear to be doing well in the wild. Not sure I understand the major electrical issue, a launch could happen in parallel while issues are ironed out. I don't think GM anticipated so many C7's unspoken for, coupled at a time when GM is closing plants and cutting costs.

Last edited by 638HP; 01-27-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:55 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
And THAT is the problem with Corvette. GM makes too many of them. This is why they aren't special nor exclusive. It's also why used Corvettes can be had for a song. Now, if GM cut production to keep demand high on the C8, they'd make the Corvette a "premiere vehicle" that it deserves to be. Yes, it's a bitchen car, but GM just makes too damn many of them.
From GM's point of view, every Corvette on a dealer's lot is bought and paid for. GM's customers are the dealers, not the buyers from the dealers. GM only builds what the dealers order. If there is any speculation, it's from the dealers. Like any manufacturer, GM can offer deals to the dealers to encourage sales to those dealers. So do mattress makers and computer manufacturers. As for the used car market, GM couldn't care less. They already made their profit from those cars.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:45 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jefnvk
It amuses me so many people think that car companies make decisions just to see what happens, or to keep a conginency in place. OEMs simply don't do that,
Aside from when they do.
The ME Corvette would be the most radical departure from any prior Corvette yet. Wouldn't it be a little stupid for GM to not want to cover their azz, until they have a little time to evaluate how good or bad acceptance of the radical new platform (for a Corvette) is?

Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 PM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 638HP
That is my sentiments. The C8 appears to be ready for launch. Mules appear to be doing well in the wild. Not sure I understand the major electrical issue, a launch could happen in parallel while issues are ironed out. I don't think GM anticipated so many C7's unspoken for, coupled at a time when GM is closing plants and cutting costs.
How many Corvettes are made every day? I think its easy to get a good idea on sales just looking at that number. Whatever that number is I think what GM really looks at is how many of those cars are presold and how many are for dealer speculation.. When the ratio becomes distorted/unbalanced to a preset number the factory adjusts or stops production.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:43 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Aside from when they do.
The ME Corvette would be the most radical departure from any prior Corvette yet. Wouldn't it be a little stupid for GM to not want to cover their azz, until they have a little time to evaluate how good or bad acceptance of the radical new platform (for a Corvette) is?
Which controller of the money is going to green light a program in which you need to keep a backup old car in production, one with already dipping sales that are only going to drop considerably, just in case? I mean, the Mustang didn't continue making solid rear axles just in case the faithful wanted them, and that could have easily been a line item option. If there is that much fear it is going to be a flop it is just going to be canned altogether. UNLESS this is some sort of a limited production special edition, or a Caddy, there is zero economic or marketing sense to producing both.

Not that I believe this is the case, but if there are truly that many people who would prefer the FE to the ME, why would you even give them the chance to torpedo the ME by continuing to offer the FE?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Which controller of the money is going to green light a program in which you need to keep a backup old car in production, one with already dipping sales that are only going to drop considerably, just in case?
Someone who believes that the addition of a "halo car" will help the image and improve sales for the entire company?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:18 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Someone who believes that the addition of a "halo car" will help the image and improve sales for the entire company?
Which is a corner case I could see, but it is the one way I see them both being produced. I personally think it wouldn't be branded as a Corvette at that point though, unless it is a very limited production, one or two MY production run car.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

It was an option on base models in 2014. I think it is part of the Z51 package.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Then they come up with 4 more models. I thought they were loaded with cars they aren't, can't sell.

Look on Edmund's

Right didn't dealers order those cars?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-28-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts

Has anyone bought the base model C7 and had second thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Not even remotely. My C7 Z06 A8 has been great. Fantastic bargain for the money.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 01-29-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,147 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
I have a '19 1LT Base Convertible with a 7 speed manual and dual mode exhaust and could not be happier.....unless the C8 really knocks my socks off and comes in at reasonable price! I would have no qualms about buying a base C8 with a few options.
This is exactly what I'm wanting right now. A dealer in GA has a few for $11K off sticker at like $51K. The new 2019s come with the 19/20" wheels standard and I don't need Z51 content in a street cruiser. Base 1LT vert with MN7 and red painted calipers only. Add Corsa X-pipe and Extreme catback and done.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Which controller of the money is going to green light a program in which you need to keep a backup old car in production, one with already dipping sales that are only going to drop considerably, just in case? I mean, the Mustang didn't continue making solid rear axles just in case the faithful wanted them, and that could have easily been a line item option. If there is that much fear it is going to be a flop it is just going to be canned altogether. UNLESS this is some sort of a limited production special edition, or a Caddy, there is zero economic or marketing sense to producing both.

Not that I believe this is the case, but if there are truly that many people who would prefer the FE to the ME, why would you even give them the chance to torpedo the ME by continuing to offer the FE?
Porsche sells more sports cars than does GM. Porsche seems to have a handle on selling sports cars with different platforms, at the same time, in the same marketplace.

When Porsche introduced the Boxster/Cayman mid engine sports car, did they drop the rear engine 911 sports car? NO, and the "old" 911 sells more annually than the "new" Boxster/Cayman.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (01-29-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 inventories affecting C8?

Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

C7s are NOT affecting or "delaying" the C8 in any way. If GM was worried about the C7 inventories and are foolishly holding off the launch of the C8, they would just throw in incentives and help the dealers get them out at 25% off for the entire inventory. I didn't see anything like that during the holidays or now.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:55 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When Porsche introduced the Boxster/Cayman mid engine sports car, did they drop the rear engine 911 sports car? NO, and the "old" 911 sells more annually than the "new" Boxster/Cayman.
But does Porsche sell a ME and a RE 911, or are they their own separate vehicle lines?

I'm not arguing that GM can't do it, rather that they both won't be a Corvette if they do it.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

But does Porsche sell a ME and a RE 911, or are they their own separate vehicle lines?

I'm not arguing that GM can't do it, rather that they both won't be a Corvette if they do it.
Toyota makes several different types of Priuses, no reason for Chevy not to make several different types of Corvettes -- if there is a positive NPV case for it. I would be surprised if Chevy has not done the analysis work to look at a 2 or even 3 "Corvette" solution. And I suspect that it is a study they dust off and re-examine every generation. What the numbers told them, and how they plan to fill up BG, well, I, like probably 99% of posters, have no idea. And, those that do know are definitely not saying!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 inventories affecting C8?