Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please, Chevrolet....NO Start/Stop Technology on C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:53 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

The Z Generation wants clean air for the future so they consider this a minor inconvenience for new car buyers. It appears that many new cars will have this annoying feature and have no way to disable it.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If they do, it would be the first GM vehicle with a disable switch.
I find if you have it in a GM rental car, it can be real fun seeing exactly how hard the transmission will slam into gear after it starts and revs to 4,000 rpms in half a second.
For those that say it is seamless, it is only so if you are one of those people that ease away from a stop at a pace where you get to 30 mph in 10 seconds. Otherwise start up to moving takes about 1.5 seconds, and that is a lot of time while you are waiting for your small opening into traffic.
If there is a non-defeatable start-stop on the C8, I can say I will never own one.
Not the first. 2019 1500 Silverado and Sierra have it. All GM that don't have a button but have stop/start, you can place them in manual mode and the highest gear setting and it overrides stop/start.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Yeah, GM is starting to add non-latching disable switches (i.e. button that turns it off until next restart; a latching switch disables until you manually turn it back on) to some of their models. Buick with its mid-size Envision SUV got an earful of negative complaints from its customers regarding the inability to disable stop/start. So Buick added a non-latching disable switch to the '19 Envision, and even, interestingly highlights the add/change in its marketing literature for the '19.

I would imagine we'll see some more of the previous GM models that didn't provide for a non-latching disable switch in the past to provide it. That still allows GM to take the fullest advantage of the fuel savings on the testing cycle with the device. If, on the other hand, a manufacturer provides a latching disable switch, the regs require an averaging b/n running with stop/start through the cycle and running without it - - perhaps a middle ground approach they may take with the C8.

Last edited by OnPoint; 01-29-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

My ATS has stop/start tech and I love it! At least once a week there's a traffic jam on the expressway I drive. I activate start/stop and don't have to waste gas for what seems like 20 minutes of idling. I also have a short drive through a lot of streetlights where I'll activate it if the traffic is heavy.

My only criticism is of the disabling switch. They could skip the switch and have the start/stop feature activated by a firmer press on the brake pedal. So for a brief stop, normal light brake pedal force would leave the engine idling, but if in a jam the driver could use higher pedal force to shut down the engine for the stop. This gives a driver total control over the feature, as it should be.

It's really not a big deal to disable it on my ATS, though. Just tap a button and it's off. It's now just part of starting the car, pure muscle memory for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
They could skip the switch and have the start/stop feature activated by a firmer press on the brake pedal. So for a brief stop, normal light brake pedal force would leave the engine idling, but if in a jam the driver could use higher pedal force to shut down the engine for the stop. This gives a driver total control over the feature, as it should be.
Firm vs. light pressure on the brake pedal was exactly the way it was implemented on the 3 current and former cars I had it on (Jaguar F-Type, MB C300, and Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk). I could be totally stopped at a light with light pedal pressure and never see it, or I could apply a little more pressure and have it activate.

However, all of them also have/had on-off switches. As I also said above, it worked very well on all 3, and I learned to like it.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-29-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

I have to chuckle!

Folks are, "Not buying a C8 if it has Stop/Start;" "Won't buy one if it doesn't have a switch to shut it off;" "Already figuring how to disable etc etc."

Perhaps GM will implement it as some of us have and it's seamless!
Perhaps it will start when your foot off the brake (as my BMW) faster than you can hit the gas pedal!
Perhaps it will also start when the car in front moves (as been reported.)
Perhaps the car starts, as do some, by shutting off right after combustion occurs in a cylinder and the pressure is retained so it, not the starter motor does most of the work.
Perhaps, like my street rod, it will have a 3 or 5:1 gear ratio starter (mine turns the high compression 502 cid BB very fast!)

Perhaps...!

PS: There is always the aftermarket who, for ~$20, supplied my CAGS Eliminator!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-29-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:00 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

I own what many would consider a competitor to a high performance ‘Vette, an AMG GT R. It has the ‘Stop/Start’ feature and tbh it doesn’t bother me at all in congested traffic. As soon as my foot comes off the brake pedal; (I don’t left foot brake), and before it can be placed on the gas pedal, the engine has stated and the car is ready to move. I don’t even think about it anymore. Personally I don’t think it helps a bit with my fuel economy, which is pretty awful but I can’t be bothered to turn it off most days.

Granted, I’ve driven many cars in Europe with smaller displacement engines that have the same tech implemented terribly, and then it does **** me off. But on a powerful vehicle with good software I think it’s pretty much a non-event. YMMV.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Nope, it definitely saves fuel, and there are plenty of studies on this. Manufacturers aren't stupid, and they do extensive testing. Jerry posted a chart above showing 17% of average fuel consumption is at idle. Stop/Start won't save all of that, but it takes a big bite out of it.

After getting used to them for several years now, I like that feature. It is no bother at all, unless you get it stuck in your head that you don't like it for no good reason.
I wonder how much of that 17% is when the thing is remote started in the morning. My mother can't be the only one guilty of having the damn thing idle for 45 minutes in the driveway.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 PM
Floridadutch
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank goodness I have a C7. Just bought a 2018 new Cadillac XT5. I hate it and it can't be turned off. I can trick it most of the time by using very light brake pressure so it doesn't shut off.i only will put about 7000 miles a year on it and don't care if it saves me5 gallons of gas. It is another thing being pressed on us by a government that has it's intellect stuck so far up where the sun doesn't shine. In the long run it will cost us more in problems than it will ever save us.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Hate it and WILL NOT buy it unless I can permanently turn it off. Thankfully on my BMW you can. And thankfully as well, you can check youtube where a lot of equally annoyed car nuts have figured out how to permanently kill it on many different models.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
I wonder how much of that 17% is when the thing is remote started in the morning. My mother can't be the only one guilty of having the damn thing idle for 45 minutes in the driveway.
Lots of newer cars come with a 10 or 15 min idle shutdown timer now, too. I got caught out this morning, had to jump start a car and I left it sitting there a while to build up a small charge, only to find the rhing hit the timer and powered down without building enough of a charge to restart it....
Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Lots of newer cars come with a 10 or 15 min idle shutdown timer now, too. I got caught out this morning, had to jump start a car and I left it sitting there a while to build up a small charge, only to find the rhing hit the timer and powered down without building enough of a charge to restart it....
I get that, our 95 had that too. She just restarts the thing.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
The C7 fortunately does not fall into that category if you need to idle for whatever reason. If you start it with the push button and leave it in park, it will run 1 hour and then automatically shut off if you do not leave the fob in the car.....if you do leave the fob in the car, it will run for 2 hours and then shut off. The timer will reset if you take the car out of park and put it back in park again.

Last edited by c54u; 01-29-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Would never buy it if can't be turned off. Didn't buy a Traverse for that reason - new Caddy XT6 - it can be turned off. So GM is wising up. The feature is near useless anyway - want to save gas, buy an EV and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Firm vs. light pressure on the brake pedal was exactly the way it was implemented on the 3 current and former cars I had it on (Jaguar F-Type, MB C300, and Jeep Cherokee V6 Trailhawk). I could be totally stopped at a light with light pedal pressure and never see it, or I could apply a little more pressure and have it activate.

However, all of them also have/had on-off switches. As I also said above, it worked very well on all 3, and I learned to like it.
I testdrove a Cherokee V6 Trailhawk, and wasn't aware of the stop start feature initially, and noticed jerky acceleration when I took my foot off the brake and pressed the accelerator quickly as I normally do. Apparently I pressed the accelerator when the engine hadn't completely started so when it fully started the accelerator pedal was fully pressed and the car had somewhat of a jerky start. When the salesman pointed out the start/stop feature, I slowed down the brake pedal to accelerator pedal motion slightly, then the car had a smooth start. So I would say start/stop feature noticeably slows the acceleration from a stop. But now that I have it in my "other car" I don't mind it as much as I thought I would dislike it originally.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:08 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the 2019 Audi A7 has the 48 volt system and the alternator is also the engine starter and is belt driven. It also has start/stop but I believe that when you release the brake and press the accelerator, the car accelerates from a stop using the small Lithium Ion battery( that stores power from regenerative braking that the car also has) and the belt driven starter, and the engine actually fires a little later, so you never have that hesitation from leaving a full stop.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:32 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

People keep talking like this is a “feature” GM is offering. It’s not... it’s to meet government regulations as many have pointed out. It’s not just to save gas, it’s also to limit emissions. I know some believe global climate change isn’t a thing so don’t understand that. If it was just to save you some money on gas then it would be completely optional on all cars and 100% defeatable. New cars will eventually not allow it to be disabled whether we like it or not.

PS... for the record, I hate it too and won’t buy a car where I can’t at least turn it off with the push of a button. Unfortunately, some day I won’t have the choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Please, Chevrolet....NO Start/Stop Technology on C8

Old 01-30-2019, 06:41 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Like the skip-shift defeat bypass (1-4th gear) which has been around since the early 90's on Corvettes, does anyone know if there is a simple, aftermarket device that can defeat this stop-start feature? Or, is it so integral to the car that it would be a complicated process not easily done?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the 2019 Audi A7 has the 48 volt system and the alternator is also the engine starter and is belt driven. It also has start/stop but I believe that when you release the brake and press the accelerator, the car accelerates from a stop using the small Lithium Ion battery( that stores power from regenerative braking that the car also has) and the belt driven starter, and the engine actually fires a little later, so you never have that hesitation from leaving a full stop.
Joe, if that is accurate they are getting close to what I have been expounding for several months! "The C8, in addition to Stop/Start needs an F1 type KERS system!" Then in addition to an efficient small cid, 4 valve/cylinder, double overhead cam, twin turbo ~500 hp engine it could have ~150 hp electric motor/generator that can operate for a short time and regenerate the battery when braking!

In F1, all cars use a system reported to weight ~70 lbs including a ~30 lb battery. The motor/generator is directly connected to the engine (or drivetrain,) no electric power at wheels etc. So in addition to stopping the engine at a red light, stop sign, etc the KERS could propel the car for one of two reasons.

First: When "driving in anger" (not part of the EPA drive cycle) you get an extra ~150 hp just like the F1 race cars. In my scenario, that's ~500 hp from the engine + ~150 from the KERS = 650 hp.
Second: And what would make the EPA and "Tree Huggers" happy is the electric system using a portion of that stored energy would propel the car, by itself, to cruising speed before it turns on the gas engine! That is where a good deal of energy is used when cruising, just look at the instantaneous mpg meter on the C7! Newton's 1st law of motion!
Capture Braking Energy: In addition to the ~60+% of the energy in gasoline that goes out the exhaust and to heating water/then air, of the ~15% that does get to the rear wheels ~1/3 goes into heat when braking (all averages.) KERS recovers some of that braking energy to recharge the small battery! No need for wishful thinking solar cells, wind towers or Nuclear power (imported from some other State) will charge EVs!

I don't think all the STOP/START "hatters" get the message! The alternative is an EV.

The World is Changin'

SIDE BAR
As often happens, my great ideas where thought of before myself!

Fortunately my 10 year old patented, simple idea to help large fabricators cut their welding Argon use in half was not one! Two European companies just bought the two largest US Industrial Gas Companies (one, my old company, Linde/Praxair and the other Airgas.) Data published this month shows between the two they have 77% of the US Argon production capacity! US laws allow that to happen, just try buying companies in China, India, Mexico, and most others!

Bit scary as Argon prices have recently doubled and another 20% price increase announced 1/1/2019! Has helped my business! Just shipped a large order to a CAT plant and one I'm most proud of, a large order to China for my largest US customer who has a plant there!

Argon is in short supply in most countries and it's not viable to ship it into the US even if it were available! A great part time business to pay for my "Car Toys!"

Last edited by JerryU; 01-30-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by fumbling
I testdrove a Cherokee V6 Trailhawk, and wasn't aware of the stop start feature initially, and noticed jerky acceleration when I took my foot off the brake and pressed the accelerator quickly as I normally do. Apparently I pressed the accelerator when the engine hadn't completely started so when it fully started the accelerator pedal was fully pressed and the car had somewhat of a jerky start. When the salesman pointed out the start/stop feature, I slowed down the brake pedal to accelerator pedal motion slightly, then the car had a smooth start. So I would say start/stop feature noticeably slows the acceleration from a stop. But now that I have it in my "other car" I don't mind it as much as I thought I would dislike it originally.
I don't experience any of the things you report above in my '15 V6 Cherokee Trailhawk. There is no hesitation at all, and it starts faster than I can move my foot from brake to throttle pedals. You did a short test drive, and I've owned mine for more than 3 years and 40K miles.

No, I am not slow. As I reported above, I often play a little game trying to beat it to produce hesitation, but I can't.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-30-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Please, Chevrolet....NO Start/Stop Technology on C8