Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:16 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
We have a reported 1,000hp ZORA coming our way that can go toe to toe with a 2 million dollar La Ferrari on the racetrack and Pimp is comparing it to a Audi TT competitor. That is nuts !!!!!
That's an extremely disingenuous assertion.

First of all, I never compared the performance capabilities of two cars at all.

I simply pointed out the fact that you saying a $65,000 ME "a fantasy" is completely absurd. An ME car already exists for $56,900. Fact. It's not as fast as a corvette but it exists. The point is, the architecture of the chassis in and of itself doesn't warrant a massive boost in factory cost. It simply does not. Fact.

"Derp, 1,000hp ZORA vs Audi TT competitor, derp you're dumb pimp, derp..."

Except for I never even remotely implied anything of the sort. I proved your false and ignorant statement wrong. Get over it. Go take a nap.

Last edited by C7pimp; 01-31-2019 at 03:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7pimp:
Foosh (02-01-2019), jefnvk (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:17 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,982 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Wait... do you not realize that other caliper is a parking brake?
lol

Its amazing how people are trying to find any reason to say the base car is going to be super expensive. Dual rear brakes are all the rage! Lmao I can just see where he googled that, saw it on a McLaren, and made some wild assumption about it.

Last edited by smithers; 01-31-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
So these engineers you spoke with told you they had created the molds/dies for two different fascias?

How do you know it was for two Corvettes of different engine configurations instead of one set being for the base model and another for the ZO6/ZR1/Grandsport/whatever?

Not that they would give such info to a random caller, especially after the random caller said "I'm going to post what you tell me on a popular Corvette internet forum."
​​​​​​​Yeah, that account really had me shaking my head when it was relayed to me months ago.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-31-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:21 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Tool, I suggest you study up on the latest duel caliper brake systems for mid engine cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren are all testing them out. You're thinking of a generic rear parking brake. No correlation.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
Pimp, the Cayman was no more then Porsche's effort to get prices down to where a hairdresser or secretary could afford one of their cars. They cut all sorts of corners to build these things to get into that price range. Zora Duntov is rolling over in his grave listening to you compare the Cayman to the pending ME.
I only pointed out the fact that an ME car exists in production form at $56,900.

I never directly compared their capabilities. The C7 already far outdoes the Cayman. Obviously the C8 will be even that much better (which, btw, doesn't need to cost $100,000 to do)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:26 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Hey now, don't start dragging facts in to this....
Old 01-31-2019, 03:30 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yeah, that account really had me shaking my head when it was relayed to me months ago.
Ya, when I PM'd you on that months ago and told you that encounter you immediately dismissed it without contemplating the information at hand. That talk I had is a fact. If you choose not to believe that, keep your head in the sand and don't believe. That's fine!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Well, it's a FACT there are $65K ME sports cars for sale (Boxster/Cayman/Alfa 4C) so contrary to what you guys believe, it clearly can be done.
And ANYONE on here trashing the Boxster/Cayman/Alfa 4C has OBVIOUSLY never driven the cars.
Some of you guys should quit while you're behind.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:42 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Over and Out. I have meetings to attend.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:44 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Tool, I suggest you study up on the latest duel caliper brake systems for mid engine cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren are all testing them out. You're thinking of a generic rear parking brake. No correlation.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH... ok you're going on ignore.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:48 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Well, it's a FACT there are $65K ME sports cars for sale (Boxster/Cayman/Alfa 4C) so contrary to what you guys believe, it clearly can be done.
And ANYONE on here trashing the Boxster/Cayman/Alfa 4C has OBVIOUSLY never driven the cars.
Some of you guys should quit while you're behind.
See post #185
Old 01-31-2019, 03:49 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

The majority of braking is handled by the FRONT brakes (you know, front rotors are bigger, 4 or 6 piston calipers verses 2-4 rear, etc) so why would one put 2 calipers on the back brakes (other than dragsters/drift cars)?????
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The majority of braking is handled by the FRONT brakes (you know, front rotors are bigger, 4 or 6 piston calipers verses 2-4 rear, etc) so why would one put 2 calipers on the back brakes (other than dragsters/drift cars)?????
Because he thinks the parking brake is a hyper exotic dual rear caliper.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

HAHAHAHAHAHAH... ok you're going on ignore.
​​​​​​​That won't work. He'll be quoted so often in rebuttals, you won't be able to miss his latest fantastical prognostications.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-31-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:52 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltomn
See post #185
I saw it.
So, you've never driven the cars (Boxster/Cayman/4C)….
Old 01-31-2019, 03:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Ya, when I PM'd you on that months ago and told you that encounter you immediately dismissed it without contemplating the information at hand. That talk I had is a fact. If you choose not to believe that, keep your head in the sand and don't believe. That's fine!
Oh, I believe you had some sort of conversation with someone who claimed to know something. I just don't believe your source had any idea what they were talking about or you misheard something. Suppliers are given minimal information on forthcoming products, and a panel manufacturer wouldn't know exactly what they were making panel molds for.

However, my main problem is that it completely strains credulity that you'd just call someone up out of the blue, and they'd share the secrets you claim. That person would have to be either a poser or a complete idiot.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-31-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Umm, both the Porsche and Alfa have DCT and active suspension.

If you are arguing that going from a turbo 4 to a V8 is going to make up the rest of that $40k, well I simply have no arguments.
I note you excluded the combination of "500+hp, DCT, and active suspension", so not sure your point.

I just looked at Alfa's site and they do not list active suspension for the 4C (and no references to it in any review I could find). It has less than half the 500+ hp I mentioned.

Porsche does offer DCT and active suspension, but again, missed the 500+hp.

So I'm not sure your argument.

I'm not saying the ME will cost $100k plus, but I am also saying you can't use cars that are not the same as evidence of that just because they are mid or rear engine. Hell, might as well through in the Ariel Atom at around $50k then.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^
Don't be silly, I KNOW Ferrari's plans for the next 10 years....
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Lately, we are getting verified info on a revised C7 front engined Corvette with a new ordering code for the 2020 model year. I've always determined from various sources that we had a Y1XX and Y2XX internal code which stands for Y1XX=C7 front engine Corvette and Y2XX=C8 front engine Corvette. We've also learned that the internal code ZERV= C8 mid engined ZORA. I've always thought that we would have both FE and ME C8's going forward to satisfy all prior Corvette owners and creating a new clientele for the upscale ZORA. Since the new Bowling Green Plant has been tripled in size from the plant of a few years ago, it is clear that they have expanded the plant to build both lines easily. I can easily see a revised C7 FE Corvette into a C8 FE Corvette with all new body panels, Interior, LT2 engine, updated and enhanced components that could carry on the lower bandwidth price of 65k to 150k for the front engine lineup. Additionally, I can see a C8 ME Zora Line that could have a 85k to 200k+ bandwidth that would expand the Corvette market with new potentially International clientele without affecting the traditional Corvette buyer.

I've always thought that only having a ME would absolutely crater the existing C7 upper eschelon of ZO6 and ZR1 values. Particularly if the C8 ME started at 65k-70k. It makes no sense to reduce prior Corvette valuations by bringing the ME price down to where the C7 currently sits. Ferrari would never do such backhanded pricing to cut the throat of their higher end cars. Corvette marketing easily understands this and will protect the recent ZR1 owners from having their brand new ZR1 devalued. Hence, I think there's a likelyhood of GM revealing both C8 FE and C8 ME ZORA at the same time to eliminate the confusion going on now in the forums. Doing a double reveal will position both configurations where we forum members can now make informed and logical pricing decisions without the massive confusion thats going on right now.

Also, the current nomenclature will remain FE= Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR1 and the ME= ZORA with a few additional model iterations ( ie. ZORA, ZORA GT, ZORA S, ZORA RS, etc.). GM surely would not pirate the traditional names for a entirely new configuration of Corvette. ZORA is a model, not an entirely new Corvette lineup. I also think both C8 FE and C8 ME will be left hand and right hand drives to further service the International Market. Having both configurations will eliminate the chaos.
Without reading 10 pages of nonsense, to answer your question of the likelihood of the ME and a new FE being released, the answer is exactly 0%.

The FE is going away, plain and simply. GM has no valid reason to produce a C8 FE for several reasons but the primary ones are these: The C8 will be available sub $80K well appointed for a base model. The Camaro is really a better FE car, plain and simply. It looks better, performs better in many less expensive versions, will still have a manual trans and a small back seat. Not to mention will have many cheaper models over which to spread out development costs.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by vndkshn
I note you excluded the combination of "500+hp, DCT, and active suspension", so not sure your point.

I just looked at Alfa's site and they do not list active suspension for the 4C (and no references to it in any review I could find). It has less than half the 500+ hp I mentioned.

Porsche does offer DCT and active suspension, but again, missed the 500+hp.

So I'm not sure your argument.

I'm not saying the ME will cost $100k plus, but I am also saying you can't use cars that are not the same as evidence of that just because they are mid or rear engine. Hell, might as well through in the Ariel Atom at around $50k then.
Since you're stuck on the 500HP thing, which engine do you think costs more...the LT1 or the 718's Turbo 4 cylinder?
And calling the Boxster/Cayman "hairdressers" cars shows a complete lack of understanding of how GOOD these cars are.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-31-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?