Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No one said they were in the same class. The Boxster/Cayman was used as an example when someone foolishly said you couldn't produce a mid-engine car and sell it for $65K. Engine power is irrelevant to cost in this case since GM has a boat load of high power, high volume production engines. Those engines far undercut the cost of other ME and RE cars in this discussion.

Oh for heavens sake, what does that have to do with the C8 ME? They dropped it in a $55K C7, and there's nothing that much more inherently expensive about building an ME that volume production won't take care of.
I swear the longer we wait for this reveal, the more sharply the IQ drops for some.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7pimp:
Foosh (01-31-2019), jimmyb (01-31-2019)
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I swear the longer we wait for this reveal, the more sharply the IQ drops for some.
I hAvE sEeN tHe CaR
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
Pimp, the Cayman was no more then Porsche's effort to get prices down to where a hairdresser or secretary could afford one of their cars. They cut all sorts of corners to build these things to get into that price range. Zora Duntov is rolling over in his grave listening to you compare the Cayman to the pending ME.
Hmmm, well I live in the US and not many hairdressers here can afford a Cayman, but anyways, Porsche has higher costs due to their lower volume production, though in the last few years that's been changing.

Probably the biggest cost saver for GM is that the 'Vette's engine and tranny development, and parts, are shared with the Camaro, some Cadillac models, and trucks. Even the Tremec DCT development costs are shared with Ford, and GM will probably also use the DCT in the gen7 Camaro and maybe a few Cadillac V models. There's also all the little hinges, latches, safety equipment, and switchgear that Jeuchter's team can pull out of GM's parts bins, no R&D necessary.

If GM had any sense they would drop the LT1 in an SUV to take a piece of the market from Porsche's Macan and Cayenne, and in addition they could do a proper LT1 SS to take a shot at the Panamera. They'll need to make Corvette a brand of its own, though, because Chevy doesn't have the necessary mystique to go against Porsche. And design has to be up to Corvette standards, not Chevy standards, lol. The last SS was a great car but it looked like any other cheap Chevy.

Of course, the Porsche is more reliable, so GM also has the advantage of offsetting their costs with more parts sales.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 01-31-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

It definitely helps when you start with double digits
Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Azferrari
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
Just as nobody said you can't make a ME car for $65k either. I think where the extreme challenge comes in is making a 500+hp ME car with DCT (to handle that power) and active suspension and brakes to slow it, and all of the other rumored tech in the ME, all for $65k. If anyone can do it, GM can, but I think many (myself included) are concerned at what corners will have to be cut to make that number.

The HP (and resulting speed) does factor in here. A car with that kind of power will put loads on the chassis, suspension, brakes, etc that a 300hp one won't. Engineering that difference isn't free.
^ What he said! 👍
Old 01-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Azferrari
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

For a well-optioned Z06 version.

If the base ME comes in at near 100K, then their sales volume will drop by 70% or more and lose out on almost the entire market of Corvette buyers and GM will be calling the gravedigger to put in a spot right next to Dodge Viper. Sounds like a win-win, right?
You are correct! And that’s why the C7 with some kind of refresh will continue. The ME car may or may not be called a “Corvette”, but it will be in a different marketing category.
No one wants to see the ME car be a cheap car for the sake of keeping the price down. I’d rather see the ME car be done right.....looks, handling, power, accessories, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Azferrari:
skank (01-31-2019), tooold2race (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:31 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Azferrari

You are correct! And that’s why the C7 with some kind of refresh will continue. The ME car may or may not be called a “Corvette”, but it will be in a different marketing category.
No one wants to see the ME car be a cheap car for the sake of keeping the price down. I’d rather see the ME car be done right.....looks, handling, power, accessories, etc.

The C7 was "done right". The C8 will be also be "done right", except it will be Mid-Engine.

Corvette has always espoused incredible performance at an unbeatable price. It will continue in that same stride.

I'm perfectly fine if GM wants to build a $250K HyperCar version. that would be sweet.

They just can't ignore heir bread and butter in doing so (and they won't).

Last edited by C7pimp; 01-31-2019 at 06:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:36 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Hmmm, well I live in the US and not many hairdressers here can afford a Cayman, but anyways, Porsche has higher costs due to their lower volume production, though in the last few years that's been changing.

Probably the biggest cost saver for GM is that the 'Vette's engine and tranny development, and parts, are shared with the Camaro, some Cadillac models, and trucks. Even the Tremec DCT development costs are shared with Ford, and GM will probably also use the DCT in the gen7 Camaro and maybe a few Cadillac V models. There's also all the little hinges, latches, safety equipment, and switchgear that Jeuchter's team can pull out of GM's parts bins, no R&D necessary.

If GM had any sense they would drop the LT1 in an SUV to take a piece of the market from Porsche's Macan and Cayenne, and in addition they could do a proper LT1 SS to take a shot at the Panamera. They'll need to make Corvette a brand of its own, though, because Chevy doesn't have the necessary mystique to go against Porsche. And design has to be up to Corvette standards, not Chevy standards, lol. The last SS was a great car but it looked like any other cheap Chevy.

Of course, the Porsche is more reliable, so GM also has the advantage of offsetting their costs with more parts sales.
I have a 2017 SS and I think it would be great if they would do another! And this time, actually TRY to SELL them!
And you are right, the car was pretty bland, styling wise, especially in colors like silver or black. The sad thing is the SS wasn't really generic Chevrolet styling as it was just generic. Car guys notice the Brembos and the wheels/tires...normal folks, not so much.. That plus ZERO effort by GM to market the car, and that's why they sold 12,000 of them in 4 years. I have folks ask all the time what it is and I say: "A Chevrolet SS" which is always followed by: "An SS what?"

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-31-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Azferrari

And that’s why the C7 with some kind of refresh will continue. The ME car may or may not be called a “Corvette”, but it will be in a different marketing category.
Folks, several of us have been chanting this for months now: it won't be a Mid Engine Corvette (Zora) without a bunch of the things listed on the List of Components thread included on it. Read that and then rejoice because, frankly, when this car is released, the price may be higher but it will be a much better car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

i cannot agree more with people that say we don't want GM to dumb this car down just to reach a price point that very few people buy at anyway. I agree with Kitt when he suggests that adding a minimum of $10k onto the base price is the real starting point of most purchases. It's probably even higher then that. Fussing about what may be a higher price tag then one is accustomed to seeing is a futile effort when most of us will be higher then the base price anyway!
The following 2 users liked this post by ltomn:
skank (01-31-2019), tooold2race (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 07:15 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
So, you're implying the vast majority of 2014 C7's sold for 55k? I definitely disagree. 2014 put immediate Z51 on constraint, so ppl were checking that box, along with 2LT minimum, with destination and fees, ppl were borrowing 65k easy, on avg. That's the point...yeah, buying AT MSRP on the sticker, sure but the point is...avg buyers who buy the core, they weren't buying Z06's and ZR1's...they want an affordable (for their demo) sports car that's comfortable and has a bit of image. You suddenly pop that avg value up 10k bucks, that's a risk.

Also, you're fixated on ahead, without considering the fact that the C7 chassis is a damn good base you're implying they throw in the trash bin after 6 or 7yrs...why would they dispose of all that good R&D when the investment is now recouped essentially? I think that'd be foolish when you can toss a new body on it, make some tweaks, do a new interior and call it 7 more yrs of fun and profit along side.
No. YOU brought up what a no option GS is going for in 2019. My point was that 2014 C7's (optioned however the customer ordered) went for MSRP. MSRP is the price WITH options, not just the base price of the car.
I posted long ago that I think it is possible that an FE Corvette may be around. I DON'T think it will start with the ME. Do the ME a year or so and then release a front engine car that is more "GT" in scope and purpose (ala Ferrari FE V12's). Certainly an updated C7 chassis would be fine for that. They could rework the rear subframe so the A10 fits, revised LT1, more sound deadening, dolled-up interior, etc....

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-31-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Folks, several of us have been chanting this for months now: it won't be a Mid Engine Corvette (Zora) without a bunch of the things listed on the List of Components thread included on it. Read that and then rejoice because, frankly, when this car is released, the price may be higher but it will be a much better car.

i cannot agree more with people that say we don't want GM to dumb this car down just to reach a price point that very few people buy at anyway. I agree with Kitt when he suggests that adding a minimum of $10k onto the base price is the real starting point of most purchases. It's probably even higher then that. Fussing about what may be a higher price tag then one is accustomed to seeing is a futile effort when most of us will be higher then the base price anyway!
You're a dummy then... you want to kill the car by abandoning the market. Is a ZR1 dumbed down because there's a $57K base model?

You don't seem to understand the value proposition and magic that makes Corvette what it is.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I have already heard reports of the top of the line ZORA reaching 250k according to one that is close to the C8. I've always thought that 200k would be the top limit but apparently not. If this is accurate then my ME + FE duo concept makes even more sense. Remember, they didn't triple the square footage of the Bowling Green plant to still build only one configuration. The massive plant expansion explains everything that some of you are not focusing on. They spent nearly a billion dollars to upsize the plant. Some of you have to wake up to that reality.
fake news.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha

fake news.
Don't bet on it! I've heard the same thing from people close to the C8.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Oh, I believe you had some sort of conversation with someone who claimed to know something. I just don't believe your source had any idea what they were talking about or you misheard something. Suppliers are given minimal information on forthcoming products, and a panel manufacturer wouldn't know exactly what they were making panel molds for.

However, my main problem is that it completely strains credulity that you'd just call someone up out of the blue, and they'd share the secrets you claim. That person would have to be either a poser or a complete idiot.
Do I have to resend my PM to you? You know exactly what I told you unless you have selective memory. And I'll pretend I didn't read your nonsense above as I was very clear in what I told you what the engineer said at the Mold and Die company! Short of calling out the company that gave that info( which I won't do ), I know concisely what he did and didn't say as I was taking notes of our conversation while talking to him.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
I note you excluded the combination of "500+hp, DCT, and active suspension", so not sure your point.

I just looked at Alfa's site and they do not list active suspension for the 4C (and no references to it in any review I could find). It has less than half the 500+ hp I mentioned.

Porsche does offer DCT and active suspension, but again, missed the 500+hp.

So I'm not sure your argument.

I'm not saying the ME will cost $100k plus, but I am also saying you can't use cars that are not the same as evidence of that just because they are mid or rear engine. Hell, might as well through in the Ariel Atom at around $50k then.
My bad, got the 4C confused with the Giulia WRT the active suspension.

And my point is that just because a car is ME, does not mean it must cost an exorbitant amount of money to "do right". There are currently and have been historically numerous ME cars at modest price points. As far as the power argument, I can go to JEGS and buy a 460hp LT1 for $8k or a ZR1 755hp crate engine for $17k. A Boxster plus even that retail price for a 755hp engine does not come close to $100k, let alone the 460hp LT1, and GM isn't paying close to that.

Saying that it has to be $100k to be "done right" is literally no different than saying any C7 under $100k is not "done right". Some people have an issue with separating mid-engined from supercar. They are not synonyms.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
Foosh (02-01-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM
ltomn
Pro

By GM's own numbers, and, I am assuming these are numbers for sales in America, for the model year 2019, they sold 8702 Stingrays. That is 38% of the 23,040 Corvettes sold. 6603 of those Stingrays were 1LT's. That is 28% of all of the Corvettes sold up to January 2, 2019. If any of you think 28% of the buyers of Corvette are buoying up the company, you have a different image of business then I do. What it does show, however, on top of the figure of buyers that bought a base model, is that 62% bought Grand Sports, Z06's, and ZR1's. I do not propose that GM ignore, or negate, the buying power of 28% of the Corvette owners by bringing out a higher priced model (ME) but It might just be more valuable to cater to the 62% of the others. Incidentally, the ZR1 makes up 9% of their total sales and is still in heavy demand.

Corvette owns 35.1% of the American Sports Car Market, by 2018 Calendar year deliveries. This, even in their 2018 down year. Still, they sell more then twice the next largest seller of vehicles in America; Porsche. And the percentages go down from there with the other known sports car manufacturers. Corvette's front engine models are still a very strong brand! Given these statistics, adding the ME to the mix, at any price, and building it on the same lines as the FE in Bowling Green, it will surely dramatically augment the sales figures of the entire line.

Last edited by ltomn; 01-31-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Tool, are you talking about the dual rear calipers that are the latest craze on cars like the million dollar McLaren Senna?

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/05/...heel-calipers/
Those second calipers are parking brakes, mostly electronic. Reduces complexity on the primary caliper and/or rotor, and provides redundancy in the case of a serious hydraulic failure.

Yes, I did call out of the blue and yes I did talk with individuals from all three. My initial request was to discuss the generic mold box fabrication information. At the time of my call they had already completed them over 2 years prior. I assume they were production tooling because we discussed the surface tolerances of being a near mirror like surface finish.
Its rare that I out and out call a story online fake, but either it didn't happen, or you got ahold of three different engineers who all decided to punk you.

If they did willfully speak on the record to someone who told them it was going straight to the internet, you shouldn't have a problem naming names, at the very least companies.

And if this happened likely 2.5-3 years ago, if it was already 2 years prior when you called, it was prototype tooling. No way GM had final aero designs done 3+ years before launch to buy production tools.

Tool, I suggest you study up on the latest duel caliper brake systems for mid engine cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McLaren are all testing them out. You're thinking of a generic rear parking brake. No correlation.
Outside of a track car, I have yet to see a true dual caliper braking setup in real life.

Yes, it'll probably be well into the six figures if everything a bunch of people online claim has to be in it actually happens. At best, you're spec'ing out a top of the line model. At worst, the list is just a collection of guesses with no basis in reality.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Old 01-31-2019, 11:05 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Jefnvk, read my post above to Foosh. PM me if you want the lowdown as I'm not putting this out on the forum.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:17 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by jefnvk

Yes, it'll probably be well into the six figures if everything a bunch of people online claim has to be in it actually happens. At best, you're spec'ing out a top of the line model. At worst, the list is just a collection of guesses with no basis in reality.
Not so! Most, if not close to all, were derived from numerous forum members observations of CAD drawings leaked by CodenameZerv and later sightings of camo'd cars testing along with GM patent filings. The mere fact that you are not aware of this suggests you are not caught up on the facts that are definitively known to date. Check this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...name-zerv.html

Following your weekend of reading that thread (it's a long one), re-read the thread List of Components...

Last edited by ltomn; 01-31-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

By GM's own numbers, and, I am assuming these are numbers for sales in America, for the model year 2019, they sold 8702 Stingrays. That is 38% of the 23,040 Corvettes sold. 6603 of those Stingrays were 1LT's. That is 28% of all of the Corvettes sold up to January 2, 2019. If any of you think 28% of the buyers of Corvette are buoying up the company, you have a different image of business then I do. What it does show, however, on top of the figure of buyers that bought a base model, is that 62% bought Grand Sports, Z06's, and ZR1's. I do not propose that GM ignore, or negate, the buying power of 28% of the Corvette owners by bringing out a higher priced model (ME) but It might just be more valuable to cater to the 62% of the others. Incidentally, the ZR1 makes up 9% of their total sales and is still in heavy demand.

Corvette owns 35.1% of the American Sports Car Market, by 2018 Calendar year deliveries. This, even in their 2018 down year. Still, they sell more then twice the next largest seller of vehicles in America; Porsche. And the percentages go down from there with the other known sports car manufacturers. Corvette's front engine models are still a very strong brand! Given these statistics, adding the ME to the mix, at any price, and building it on the same lines as the FE in Bowling Green, it will surely dramatically augment the sales figures of the entire line.
See I'm a little weird in that I kind of group the Grand sport with the base as for the most part, they're at that same price level for entry. You do up a base you're around 60 and the GS comes with most of the goodies you'd throw on the base. The Z06 and up is one bracket and the GS down is the other I'd say. I'd wager you're looking more toward that 70% shopping for a car below 75k or so. That leaves the same 30% but to the more expensive echelon.

We can sit here and BS numbers all day but sure, gm makes more money on a z06 than a gs. That's a fact. But the thing is the difference is 15-25k per unit but you're selling almost 20% percent less. So your scale is roughly the same. That's how I look at it anyway.

Quick Reply: What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?