Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:17 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,163 Likes on 5,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Azferrari

The Viper was too “raw” and the new NSX too high tech.
The ME “Corvette” needs to be somewhere in between.
Glad you're not in charge of the C8 program.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Some are living in a car nut dream world without thinking about, or having any comprehension of, the business realities. It is absolutely inconceivable to me that GM would abandon the successful model they have carved out for Corvette. Suddenly deciding to go head-to-head with the prestige manufacturers, who have built their exotic and exclusive reputations over many decades is a sure-fire crash and burn strategy.

FGT is purely a Ford marketing campaign, not a profit center.
Foosh, I agree with your statement about it being inconceivable for GM to abandon the front engine Corvette model they have taken 6+ decades to create. However, it's inherently difficult for me to accept that a career bureaucrat has any semblance of understanding about the business world. Perhaps you would like to rephrase that!
Old 02-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Your theory that you no doubt obtained from your Skanky running mate that I'm a "career bureaucrat" is yet another of your many erroneous conclusions. I am not.

I have spent decades in the private sector and was a senior executive at a Fortune 100 company. I have also served on corporate boards and government advisory committees, where I evaluated many dozens of business cases. I am well-versed in corporate decision making and how one goes about building a business case. I am currently serving a 5-year term in an appointed position.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-01-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:12 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

I am only moderately surprised, Foosh, since your attitude resembles that of a bureaucrat. I recall a post, some time ago, where you admitted to working "for" or "on" a government program. However, I could be incorrect as I have been known to be such in the past.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Your theory that you no doubt obtained from your Skanky running mate that I'm a career bureaucrat is yet another of your many erroneous conclusions. I am not. I have spent decades in the private sector and was a senior executive at a Fortune 100 company. I have also served on corporate boards and government advisory committees. I am currently serving a 5-year term in an appointed position.
Your posts sure are indictive that you have zero engineering experience in manufacturing and how product pricing really works.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-01-2019 at 05:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skank (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Your posts sure are indictive that you have zero engineering experience in manufacturing and how product pricing really works.
Well Joe, you'd be wrong about that too. "Indictive?"

Originally Posted by ltomn
I am only moderately surprised, Foosh, since your attitude resembles that of a bureaucrat. I recall a post, some time ago, where you admitted to working "for" or "on" a government program. However, I could be incorrect as I have been known to be such in the past.
Yes, I've worked on many gov programs in both the public and private sectors. The gov doesn't operate without the private sector. I've been on both sides throughout my career.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Well Joe, you'd be wrong about that too. "Indictive?"

Yes, I've worked on many gov programs in both the public and private sectors. The gov doesn't operate without the private sector. I've been on both sides throughout my career.
What kind of engineer are you?

How many decades of manufacturing experience do you have, working day in/day out as an engineer/ engineering manager for one or more large manufacturing companies where you have daily responsibility for how the product is manufactured, and responsible for the corporate cost reduction program?

How many tens of millions of dollars have you spent buying machine tools, dies, etc that are used in everyday manufacturing?

How many times have you been a senior team member/leader setting up/relocating new/existing manufacturing operations in new locations?

How many contracts have you negotiated and signed for you company regarding both manufacturing processes and items used to manufacture products?

How many of the products that your company manufactures have you personally engineered/designed whether all or part of?

How many decades have you spent actually working inside a manufacturing plant in a technical or management position?

ltomn (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

JoesC5 is my favorite poster.
BUILD THE WALL.

Last edited by 69L79; 02-01-2019 at 06:02 PM.
ltomn (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Azferrari
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Glad you're not in charge of the C8 program.
I assume you want to kill off the Corvette.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I assume you want to kill off the Corvette.
That's a blatantly misguided assumption.

It's what will happen though if you jack the base price up by 60% like so many think is going to happen.

Last edited by C7pimp; 02-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I think the answer to your question is pretty clear based upon the sales numbers of sports cars in various price brackets. Based upon first-year ZR1 sales, the market for a $130K Corvette is around 2K per year. ME novelty may push it a bit higher, but no one sells more than about that number of units in that price range with the possible exception of Porsche given its worldwide sales presence.

To make a profit with that sales volume, you have to get into Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, and Porsche GT2 RS price territory, where a Corvette would struggle with its legacy as a "bargain" sports car. The ZR1 can only be profitably built and sold at the current price because it shares the majority of its components (e.g. short block, chassis, transmission, eDiff, electronics, computers, modules, HVAC, all interior parts, glass and many other components) with lesser C7s.
I agree. I think that the initial market for a ZR1 is only about 2000. That should meet the limited demand for that type of car. If production is continued in future years I feel that 500/yr would be a good maintenance number.

The the only way Chevy is able to sell the ZR1 at low price of $130,000 is that it is an option package on a relatively high production car. The only reason exotics are so expensive is that they build so few. They don’t build enough to spread the development cost across to get the price down. If the ZR1 was a stand alone model, without the standard Corvette, it would probably be priced in the $400,000 range.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom73:
Foosh (02-02-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
JoesC5 is my favorite poster.
BUILD THE WALL.
Be sure to ask him about his C6 Z06.....
Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What kind of engineer are you?

How many decades of manufacturing experience do you have, working day in/day out as an engineer/ engineering manager for one or more large manufacturing companies where you have daily responsibility for how the product is manufactured, and responsible for the corporate cost reduction program?

How many tens of millions of dollars have you spent buying machine tools, dies, etc that are used in everyday manufacturing?

How many times have you been a senior team member/leader setting up/relocating new/existing manufacturing operations in new locations?

How many contracts have you negotiated and signed for you company regarding both manufacturing processes and items used to manufacture products?

How many of the products that your company manufactures have you personally engineered/designed whether all or part of?

How many decades have you spent actually working inside a manufacturing plant in a technical or management position?
Unless it is literally a one man operation, it is very rare that any person one would do all those things. Technical leads don't procure tooling. Plant supervisors don't negotiate contracts. Sales people doesn't set up new manufacturing locations. Designers don't audit supply chains.

But I'm just a mid level validation engineer who has worked for two Tier I suppliers, so I probably don't know much about how any of this works.
Foosh (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Unless it is literally a one man operation, it is very rare that any person one would do all those things. Technical leads don't procure tooling. Plant supervisors don't negotiate contracts. Sales people doesn't set up new manufacturing locations. Designers don't audit supply chains.

But I'm just a mid level validation engineer who has worked for two Tier I suppliers, so I probably don't know much about how any of this works.
Hey now, stop that crazy talk, mister. This is the C8 Forum. NO room for facts here.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:51 PM
Azferrari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C7pimp
That's a blatantly misguided assumption.

It's what will happen though if you jack the base price up by 60% like so many think is going to happen.
i think there will be two cars made.

The C8 FE “Corvette”. Base price $60,000.
A ME “Zora”. Base price $100,000.

I may be wrong.

Why is the Bowling Green Plant double the size it was two years ago? And, no...it’s not just a “state of the art new paint shop”.

(The red box shows the main entrance in both photos, just for reference)

Old 02-02-2019, 12:07 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If true why no spy shots of new FE C8 driving around?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:14 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

This may mean absolutely nothing but one of our GM dealerships here has changed it's name to Jack Carter Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac Corvette. Note that four of the five names are makes as we know it, could it be that Corvette will be it's own make with 2 different vehicles altogether?

Get notified of new replies

To What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:32 AM
Azferrari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by themonk
If true why no spy shots of new FE C8 driving around?
I think both cars will be 2021 models. The existing C7 will be the 2020 car.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:47 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
This may mean absolutely nothing but one of our GM dealerships here has changed it's name to Jack Carter Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac Corvette. Note that four of the five names are makes as we know it, could it be that Corvette will be it's own make with 2 different vehicles altogether?
Well that's interesting. That would also mean a small leak too though. Maybe they want people to know they sell vettes? IDK. Just that GM has admitted nothing so this would be something technically.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:01 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

i think there will be two cars made.

The C8 FE “Corvette”. Base price $60,000.
A ME “Zora”. Base price $100,000.

I may be wrong.

Why is the Bowling Green Plant double the size it was two years ago? And, no...it’s not just a “state of the art new paint shop”.

(The red box shows the main entrance in both photos, just for reference)

I don’t think the enlargement of the plant has anything to do with one or two Vettes being built. An ME and an FE can be built on the same assembly line. No additional space needed.

I can can see another line for something else, but not Vette related. One problem would be finding workers for another line.

Quick Reply: What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?