Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:25 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Historical significance of certain iconic cars is something you absolutely never mess with!
Old 03-06-2019, 02:27 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha
Untested design is a ludicrous statement. The greatest cars in the world have the engine behind the driver.
Well let's see, the last time GM built a mid-engine car was 30 years ago and it lasted only 5 years. It was a failure and GM has built FE cars ever since.

GM also built a rear engine car 50 years ago which was also a failure. So now you think GM is going to take its best brand and roll the dice on another ME exclusively. Why would GM do that when it obviously has the capacity and capability to build a FE Corvette and thereby hedge its bet the same way Porsche did when it built the 928 that was going to replace the 911? Was Porsche stupid to keep on building the 911?
The following users liked this post:
skank (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 02:54 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Well let's see, the last time GM built a mid-engine car was 30 years ago and it lasted only 5 years. It was a failure and GM has built FE cars ever since.
Fiero was never meant to be any sort of halo car, and it was not just 'the last time GM built a mid-engined car', it was the first time any US auto manufacturer mass-produced a mid-engined sports car. As well, I am not sure I would characterize a production run of 370k cars in five years a "failure"? (for reference, obvious price differentials aside, that five-year run netted about 22% of total production of Corvettes, ever, over its 64-year run... )

Last edited by kozmic; 03-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

skank (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Old 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
As a class host at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance for the last 8 years, it is my responsibility to bone up on the classification that I show and protect. I have to study up on the manufacturer and the historical significance of their design and engineering of their cars. I can assure you Aston Martin will never walk away from their FE cars even though they are now starting to build ME cars. Ferrari will never ever walk away from both FE or ME configuations. Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati, and many more would never do such a idiotic move of walking away from their heritage. You guys are nuts if you think Corvette would do that. Not going to happen!
Sounds like Pebble Beach has caused you to lose touch with the real world.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by kozmic
I am not sure I would characterize a production run of 370k cars in five years a "failure"? (for reference, obvious price differentials aside, that five-year run netted about 22% of total production of Corvettes, ever, over its 64-year run... )

Yeah, Fiero was a raging success. In fact, it was the hottest car GM made:

"The General Motors Corporation will recall 244,000 four-cylinder Pontiac Fieros -every one ever made - because of a nagging engine-fire problem that contributed to the company's decision to stop making the two-seater." NYTimes, 1/24/90

Your argument is obviously up in smoke!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:26 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Your argument is obviously up in smoke!
lol... touché
Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sounds like Pebble Beach has caused you to lose touch with the real world.
No, after meeting some of the key people of the various companies, I realized the importance of their provenance.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Eight years ago I was one of three on the featured Marque of the Concours which was the Ferrari 250 GTO. Twenty two of the remaining thirty were at the show that year. A combined value of more than a half billion dollars for those 22 cars. I let Piero Ferrari behind the line to see them up close and walked with him to view the cars. Knowing that Ferrari's most valuable cars (front engined) in their companies history is critical to their design direction. He and all the other top brass from these companies understand this.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Today is not your best vocabulary effort, first "riddled" and now this.

Provenance pertains to history or origin, not to evolution, which is more a more apt descriptor of what we're talking about here. Provenance sometimes, but not always, influences the evolution of new designs. Over time, the influence of provenance becomes less of a factor in contemporary designs, and that is true at every manufacturer.

It's as silly to invoke "provenance" in a discussion of FE vs ME, as it is to say aircraft must have propellers and piston engines, and Cadillacs must have fins. You do seem to live in the past.

However, an important element of Corvette provenance is that the design team has been trying to get a ME Corvette approved for over 50 years.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-06-2019 at 04:12 PM.
jefnvk (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Try again Foosh ! You have to get out more often and see the car world. This may help you in your quest for acceptance within the elite class. Since you are trying to dumb down the C8 for the common man, this will raise your bar.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-drink.html

Last edited by skank; 03-06-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

So how do you like that rear spoiler we have seen? Pretty sexy, huh?
Shifting an auto trans is your idea of a sports car?
From what we have seen so far, the ME has been severely beaten with an ugly stick.
How about $85K to start for a base model? Does that get your motor running?
And don't forget GM has such a great reputation for building all new cars from the ground up. Do you enjoy spending lots of time at your friendly Chevy dealer's service department?
Making the ME the only Corvette is a huge gamble because, apart from a few track rats, there is no demand for the ME which is exactly why Corvette has never built one all these years.
I've got zero issue with the spoiler.
DCT is the future of sports cars, regardless of what manual gearbox fans want to think. All the advantages of manual with the added advantage of being much faster, more precise, and being able to be automatically controlled without offering a second gearbox option.
As one who actually works close up with heavily camo'd cars, I'll tell you right now even I don't know what most look like without the covers until we pull them off. Camo artists do good work.
No one knows pricing.
Why do you own a Corvette then?
There really is no demand for 2 seat sports cars in general, but there is plenty of demand for ME in that very small group of folks.

Let me tell you about evolution of Corvette. There are many C2 Corvettes that are worth more than a ZR1. Any C2 in good shape is worth a base C7 today. C1 Corvettes are worth big money too.
Time for you to "Bone Up" on the greatest cars in the world. The current world record price paid for a car is $72 million for a front engined Ferrari 250 GTO. Front engined cars hold the next top nine places. That doesn't mean that a mid engine car doesn't deserve the best handling configuration. All the top Sportscar companies are doing both FE and ME configurations (Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Porsche). Corvette is doing the same.
You guys seem to misunderstand that the value in those cars is due to demand outpacing availability, not because of the utility of those cars. There is no intrinsic value to a C1/2 costing so much, they'd be a $15k car if there were enough of them left to satisfy all the boomers lusting over their childhood. As to the 250GTO, it is not pricey because it was FE, its pricey because there are only a few dozen (if that) and people want them. It is probably ironic you use it as an example as it was one of the last FE cars that competed at the highest level of motor racing.

What is a Corvette ME worth? Nobody knows because nobody has ever bought one and that is the problem. There is no clear market for the ME Corvette and the whole Corvette brand is based on FE.
Buyers are begging for ZR1s and Corvette can't build them fast enough. The ME will be less desirable for sure.
If buyers are begging for ZR1s, they are either begging for higher performance or higher prestige and bragging rights, neither of which will be adversely affected by ME.

Last edited by jefnvk; 03-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:17 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

I doubt Mary Barra is that stupid. She has made all the right moves so far and she is not going to do something to kill Corvette.
Doing nothing with it would do exactly that.

I've also searched Y2XX (C8 FE) on Linkedin and it was riddled with automotive supplier employees indicating they worked on various components for the C8 FE. It is so obvious that the C8 FE is coming it's mindboggling that some of you can't put two and two together.
Yeah, as an automotive supplier I automatically take a skeptical view of anyone disclosing that they are working on a program that hasn't been released in a public forum. Furthermore, I know how program codes get jumbled about, used in inconsistent manners between business entities, sometimes distinguish between makes (ie, could be a Chevy and Caddy version), and get cancelled after being used because the program was eventually dropped, and even in some cases are changed from supplier to supplier to find leaks (it does happen).

As a class host at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance for the last 8 years, it is my responsibility to bone up on the classification that I show and protect. I have to study up on the manufacturer and the historical significance of their design and engineering of their cars. I can assure you Aston Martin will never walk away from their FE cars even though they are now starting to build ME cars. Ferrari will never ever walk away from both FE or ME configuations. Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati, and many more would never do such a idiotic move of walking away from their heritage. You guys are nuts if you think Corvette would do that. Not going to happen!
Those are all makes. Chevy isn't walking away from FE, either. One model is.

GM also built a rear engine car 50 years ago which was also a failure. So now you think GM is going to take its best brand and roll the dice on another ME exclusively. Why would GM do that when it obviously has the capacity and capability to build a FE Corvette and thereby hedge its bet the same way Porsche did when it built the 928 that was going to replace the 911? Was Porsche stupid to keep on building the 911?
GMs best brand is called Silverado/Sierra, and they have no issue messing with that by tossing in turbo 4s. What makes me think they wouldn't screw with a low volume line that is slagging and not much of anything in their overall business plan?

As far as the Fiero, yes they had some issues, but I'd hardly call the car a failure, it was handicapped by the bean counters as it was intended to be economical. If you can't see a difference between that and a Corvette, which has many of those restrictions removed, then you should probably do a bit more research.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
Foosh (03-06-2019), Zaro Tundov (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

You actually believe GM will walk away from 65 years of FE configuation Corvette models. Corvette is an iconic car whether you believe it or not. That is Ludicrous. That's akin to Porsche not building the iconic rear engined 911 anymore.
As I said, I am willing to bet whatever you would like that when the C8 ME Vette goes into production, the front engine Vette will be history. You name the amount.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:23 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
As I said, I am willing to bet whatever you would like that when the C8 ME Vette goes into production, the front engine Vette will be history. You name the amount.
I've offered to bet him on multiple things... he won't take it.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

You guys that bet, funny stuff. I'll bet you both go to the bingo parlor on Friday nights......

Get notified of new replies

To What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

You guys that bet, funny stuff. I'll bet you both go to the bingo parlor on Friday nights......
Okay. How much do you want to bet on that?
jefnvk (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Again, the Corvette is one model within the Chevrolet brand. The Chevrolet brand has many models of cars, SUVs and trucks, with the trucks being the “best selling” and the Corvette it’s least by volume. I will agree though that Corvette could be the “best model” in the lineup based on any number of criteria.

A lot of Corvair collectors would call Ralph Nader the failure, not the car. 😂
Old 03-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Then, yes, I’m nuts, however, I too do the concours at Pebble Beach, only as a lowly spectator, but I know that the D in d’Elegance should be lower case.

Quick Reply: What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?