Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Not likely boys ! We all were removed. I'm still here.

Last edited by skank; 03-16-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

DIdn't say anything about you being removed, just a bunch of posts. Wanna confess how badly you blew up to cause that to happen?
Old 03-16-2019, 11:58 PM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

Received 987 Likes on 297 Posts

I think its very obvious that the size of the addition to the Corvette plant means they are going to build another car there very soon.
Don't be shocked if that plant produces two models of GM cars there next year.
Why does everyone automatically think that the spy photos of these cars running around are a new Corvette or even a Chevy?
I could see a mid engine Caddy coming out of this plant next year. It seems reasonable.
It also seems more fitting for GM to use a Caddy to go into the higher end performance market world wide than a Chevy.
I don't know if Chevrolet would want to take such a risk with a brand like Corvette without testing the waters.
Cadillac is more known to take bigger risks over the years and embrace more radical departures from current production than Chevy.
Theirs only one car that can outshine a Corvette in the GM lineup these days and that's a Caddy.
And if its starting cost is $165,000 it wont have any impact on the Corvette. It might get a few potential ZR-1 buyers to jump another 20k but that's about it.
The following users liked this post:
skank (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:17 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
DIdn't say anything about you being removed, just a bunch of posts. Wanna confess how badly you blew up to cause that to happen?
We're waiting for your price estimates on the 32 line items above Foosh. Your homework is due later today. And remember, the Build and Price function is the most accurate estimating tool for you. We want to know the price to us consumers not the cost of that option to GM. The cost of parts or componentry to GM has nothing to do with this discussion. Good Luck.

Last edited by skank; 03-17-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jefnvk
NO, I'm not commenting on and giving creedence to a list of things random people may or may not have talked about that have all been compiled into a random internet posters "must have" list that should be taken as a definitive guide on what will be on the next C8.

Using Porsche resale prices on a transmission from a ~$1M car to guess at GM cost for something that may or may not be in it is a joke. As is thinking the tranny is going to cost two and a half times the engine. Knowing what we sold ECUs to OEMs for at my last job and how much their parts department turned around and sold them for, you're high at $10k. Also take into fact a volume of presumably 200k or better units over the life of the car drives costs down considerably compared to a run of 918. We wouldn't even touch that small of a job at any auto company I've worked for, that would go to a specialty company (or specialty division within the company that deals in high cost low volume parts).

I'm also looking at the prices of things I work on for vehicles priced similar to the Corvette, and can't help but laugh. Forgive me for not pointing them out directly, but I'd prefer people not know too much about what I do nor am I going to give out what would be considered confidential information. Just know there are 4-5 line items that work together as one system that you've overestimated the cost by on the order of tens of times.

I also look at your list and see the same thing stated different ways on multiple lines, presumably all added together for your "Base cost". I.e., lines 4 and 27, and lines 19 and 23, and probably 24 and 31.

Think he was talking about the 4C. Not sure why it never sold well, but I'm also not about to compare what was (un)successful on an obscure Italian/FCA sports car with what will be successful on a well-known Corvette branded car.
jefnvk, we can see you've never studied the Code Name Zerv CAD leaks. I suggest you read the 36 page thread to bring yourself up to date. And yes, as indicated above on the 32 line item list, the same exact ZF DCT transaxle thats in the Porsche 918 was shown on the Zerv CAD leaks of the ZORA. So you should also be able to give price estimates if you are in the business that you say you are. Also, at the end of the 32 line item list above I indicate a option deduction vs base price estimate so your concerns about stating different ways on multiple lines is irrelevant. Below is a link to the ZF DCT Transaxle from my list thread for you to view. Read post #198 of that thread. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596312478

Last edited by skank; 03-17-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Jerry. But, we might as well veer off course, this thread has been twisted beyond comprehension.
As with many posts!

I don't respond for the few vocal minority posters foolishly justifying in their minds why there will be a FE and ME C8 or those diehards that insist all that is needed for this "halo car" power is an "old tech" 6.2 Liter V8. My posts are NOT for them but for the ~70,000 and ~80,000 silent majority on those respective Threads who have viewed these wandering posts!

Just want folks to feel good about and understand why the ME C8 will have a double overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder, dual turbo Blackwing engine being built in Bowling Green. It's needed for todays rapidly changing car world! Heck GM even allowed Andy Pilgrim to leak an ME makes room for a hybrid to deliver electric power to the front wheels.

We must have a more efficient ICE and systems or face only EV's! It can be done, albeit with added complexity but more modern systems.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by GrandSport 2017
I think its very obvious that the size of the addition to the Corvette plant means they are going to build another car there very soon.
Don't be shocked if that plant produces two models of GM cars there next year.
Why does everyone automatically think that the spy photos of these cars running around are a new Corvette or even a Chevy?
I could see a mid engine Caddy coming out of this plant next year. It seems reasonable.
It also seems more fitting for GM to use a Caddy to go into the higher end performance market world wide than a Chevy.
I don't know if Chevrolet would want to take such a risk with a brand like Corvette without testing the waters.
Cadillac is more known to take bigger risks over the years and embrace more radical departures from current production than Chevy.
Theirs only one car that can outshine a Corvette in the GM lineup these days and that's a Caddy.
And if its starting cost is $165,000 it wont have any impact on the Corvette. It might get a few potential ZR-1 buyers to jump another 20k but that's about it.
The Caddy sports car ship sailed when Jon was fired. He wanted a halo sports car for Cadillac. But Caddy sales went in the toilet on his watch. He and Mary didn't see eye to eye and he was shown the door. It's no coincidence that his replacement is a bread and butter, conservative, luxury Cadillac guy who likes SUVs/CUVs, not sports cars. If Cadillac gets a halo sports car it will be down the road after Corvette gets its share of the ME market. Perhaps the 2022 car mentioned in the panel manufacturer's plant expansion document is a Cadillac, but the first ME coming out of BG is a Corvette, take it to the bank.

Last edited by roadbike56; 03-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 AM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Caddy ME will be first?

This is just silly! How can anyone even remotely believe this? So GM will launch a midengine Cadillac sports car with zero historical past sports car success before its flagship Corvette?

There is zero chance of this happening, Cadillac will have to wait! Anyone who is still posting this as viable should be moved to cadillacforum.com
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
So you should also be able to give price estimates if you are in the business that you say you are.
There's a big difference between "can't" and "won't". I'm in the latter. I have no problem speaking in generalities, no one cares about that. Even alluding to ballpark actual sales numbers is considerably over a "get in trouble" line. Of course, me understand this is exactly why I carry so much skepticism when people supposedly are happy to share inside knowledge.

As to the CAD, cool. How many variants were in there exactly?

And lastly, why no response to me pointing out redundant lines (all of which occured before the options section at 32), and have you yet grasped at the concept when you build a total of 918 DCTs plus some spares, your costs are many times higher per unit than when you're building a quarter million over a product life?

Last edited by jefnvk; 03-17-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Foosh (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The Caddy sports car ship sailed when Jon was fired. He wanted a halo sports car for Cadillac. But Caddy sales went in the toilet on his watch. He and Mary didn't see eye to eye and he was shown the door. It's no coincidence that his replacement is a bread and butter, conservative, luxury Cadillac guy who likes SUVs/CUVs, not sports cars. If Cadillac gets a halo sports car it will be down the road after Corvette gets its share of the ME market. Perhaps the 2022 car mentioned in the panel manufacturer's plant expansion document is a Cadillac, but the first ME coming out of BG is a Corvette, take it to the bank.
Could have been an interesting idea to have the 1st ME a Caddy with lots of luxury items and a high price to test at a low volume. But that was when Caddy was riding high!

I see there problem is folks aren't buying sedans! Even when at the local BMW dealer getting the wife's SUV serviced, the sales person said SUV's are there bread and butter and sedan sales are well down.

Since there are NO pick-up trucks in Europe, BMW and Mercedes would not understand as well as GM their appeal in the US. 585,000 Silverado's sold in 2018! Guess most Caddy dealers can sell GMC pick-ups but maybe they need a Luxury Caddy short bed high optioned vehicle.

When I picked up my Grand Sport from the Courtesy Delivery Chevy Dealer, their small showroom only had room for two vehicles. Both were highly optioned trucks with stickers higher than want I paid for my Grand Sport! Guess folks can afford them!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Could have been an interesting idea to have the 1st ME a Caddy with lots of luxury items and a high price to test at a low volume. But that was when Caddy was riding high!
To be fair, it bring a Caddy is the only way I see both being produced at the same time.

I see there problem is folks aren't buying sedans! Even when at the local BMW dealer getting the wife's SUV serviced, the sales person said SUV's are there bread and butter and sedan sales are well down.
Yep. In a few years, the market has shifted from a roughly 50/50 market share for trucks/suvs versus cars, that has jumped to roughly 66/33, and by some estimates could go as high as 80-90% to trucks/SUVs. Cars simply have no advantage, especially compared to car platformed SUVs. The fuel mileage that used to save them has closed the gap to a negligeable level.
JerryU (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Skank,
Why do you think Corvette won't use the LT4 and/or LT5 for the ME?

Seems like it would be much easier than turbos and both engines are reliable, Chevy products with lots of availability. If both the Z06 and Cadillac CTS-V are discontinued next year, there will be a lot of LT4's with no home.
The LT1 and the LT4 are currently being used in the SS and the ZL1 Camaro. What happens to the LT5? Who knows? The last three generations of Corvettes were all introduced with a new powerplant, LS1, LS2, and LT1 respectively. Personally, I would guess that the introduction of something like a mid engine Corvette would deserve a new powerplant. It just seems to me, that from a marketing standpoint, that introducing something as big as the mid engine Corvette, and then put the same old engine in it would be a little anti-climactic. I just remember some of the disappointment that the new LT1 for the C7 was only a 24 hp bump. The automotive press would have a field day with anything less than some new, high tech, higher power engine in the most revolutionary Corvette ever.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Personally, I would guess that the introduction of something like a mid engine Corvette would deserve a new powerplant.
And we have to keep in mind that historically, the cost of the Corvette's power plant has been paid for (many times over) by GMT. Which is one of the driving reasons why the Corvette costs as little as it does. If GM intends to stick with that pattern, whatever "new hotness" they come up with is going to need to work in the trucks. Otherwise the cost of the car will skyrocket to some of the silly numbers we've seen posted in this section.

ETA:

I just noticed my new badge

Last edited by jvp; 03-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jvp:
Foosh (03-17-2019), jefnvk (03-17-2019), Steve Garrett (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
What happens to the LT5? Who knows? .
The C7 ZR1 is a limited production vehicle and once the ME starts production, the ZR1 will cease production. The LT5 will go into the ME in order to make it a Porsche killer. The LT5/ME will be the new King of the Hill for everything under $300K.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

As with many posts!

I don't respond for the few vocal minority posters foolishly justifying in their minds why there will be a FE and ME C8 or those diehards that insist all that is needed for this "halo car" power is an "old tech" 6.2 Liter V8. My posts are NOT for them but for the ~70,000 and ~80,000 silent majority on those respective Threads who have viewed these wandering posts!

Just want folks to feel good about and understand why the ME C8 will have a double overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder, dual turbo Blackwing engine being built in Bowling Green. It's needed for todays rapidly changing car world! Heck GM even allowed Andy Pilgrim to leak an ME makes room for a hybrid to deliver electric power to the front wheels.

We must have a more efficient ICE and systems or face only EV's! It can be done, albeit with added complexity but more modern systems.
Sorry Jerry, if you thought I was dissing you. That was not my intent. I was just laughing because you brought up Alfa, and I went with it too. This thread has veered all over the place, and I agree it's nice to have something else to talk about that has not been beaten to death.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-17-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:20 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
And we have to keep in mind that historically, the cost of the Corvette's power plant has been paid for (many times over) by GMT. Which is one of the driving reasons why the Corvette costs as little as it does. If GM intends to stick with that pattern, whatever "new hotness" they come up with is going to need to work in the trucks. Otherwise the cost of the car will skyrocket to some of the silly numbers we've seen posted in this section.

ETA:

I just noticed my new badge
Yep, guess we’re getting the 2.7 Liter dual overhead cam turbo that is in the 2019 Silverado!

I’m sure GM gave a lot of thought to what was offered for the vehicle that makes them much more than. Vette. The 585,000 Silverado’s they sold in 2018! Doubt is anyone on the GM Board worried which of the current, “it must have round taillights or I’m not buying crowd- but did those truck buyers. Oh yea, if your towing you will be able to get the 3 Liter Duramax diesel.

The Car World is changing fast. Best get on the carousel now or it may get going too fast.

I’m no “greedy” as some refer it it! Have a 502 cid BB in my Street Rod. It gets ~10 mpg the way it’s geared. But I see the handwriting on the wall and at 76 always accepted change. Packed that “Slip Stick” away many years ago!
Old 03-17-2019, 03:51 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I’m no “greedy” as some refer it it! Have a 502 cid BB in my Street Rod. It gets ~10 mpg the way it’s geared. But I see the handwriting on the wall and at 76 always accepted change. Packed that “Slip Stick” away many years ago!
Your post is all over the place here, and I'm not sure what you mean by any of it. Ultimately it doesn't matter what's changing and how fast it's changing. What mattered in my specific post was addressing the cost to engineer the car and its powertrain. That cost has historically been offset by GMT. We wouldn't have had the LS1 without GMT paying for it. Same with the LS2. Same with the LT1. There's nothing to indicate the same won't also apply to whatever is powering C8.

But I've already gone over this in the powertrain thread. :-)
Foosh (03-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Yep, guess we’re getting the 2.7 Liter dual overhead cam turbo that is in the 2019 Silverado!

I’m sure GM gave a lot of thought to what was offered for the vehicle that makes them much more than. Vette. The 585,000 Silverado’s they sold in 2018! Doubt is anyone on the GM Board worried which of the current, “it must have round taillights or I’m not buying crowd- but did those truck buyers. Oh yea, if your towing you will be able to get the 3 Liter Duramax diesel.

The Car World is changing fast. Best get on the carousel now or it may get going too fast.

Why do you keep bringing up your street rod in every thread? It is getting a bit unnecessary.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think he's trying to remind folks that he embraces change and the need to become more efficient, while appreciating old school at the same time. With the ever changing cast of characters around here, sometimes you need to repeat yourself to make points.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
-vet (03-27-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (03-17-2019), jefnvk (03-18-2019), JerryU (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Just some random thought on transmissions to plug into the thread. Currently drive a 8ZF & a TKO600 5MT daily. Used to drive a 7DCT daily. Memory is fading on the DCT but it was/is my personal favorite. Nothing to do with what is better etc. MT is more fun but day in day out driving I liked the DCT.

Now comes the wrinkle. BMW has been a major holdout in continuing to offer MT transmissions. It has taken a turn is is starting to dry them up. The new M5 is a ZF8 & I believe the M8 is also. The bread & butter 3 series has lost, in 2019, its MT for a 8ZF only transmission choice.

The M2 is the only car they have definitely said will continue to have an MT. Here is the thing, they have now made statements that the 8ZF is good enough, quick enough & are also deleting the DCT from most of their lines. Its my understanding some other German manufactures who soak up a lot of the DCT volume are also making similar moves.

Will this leave the FORD/GM Tremec DCT an outlier?

Quick Reply: What are the chances of a C8 FE and C8 ME revealing together?