Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Ed Welburn basically confirm the C8?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,147 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Seriously though this thing looks like a line backer about crush someone.
The car has good styling, but it's 6" too tall all around. Look at one next to the older ones (not gen 5) and it's just giant. I'm 6'3" and I hate how high the belt line is in them. That's my gripe... good looks, good performance, way too tall.

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
it's poor sales spooked GM management so they terminated development of the next gen Camaro.
Is that official? First I've heard that the 7th gen is on ice.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The car has good styling, but it's 6" too tall all around. Look at one next to the older ones (not gen 5) and it's just giant. I'm 6'3" and I hate how high the belt line is in them. That's my gripe... good looks, good performance, way too tall.

Is that official? First I've heard that the 7th gen is on ice.
Yeah that linebacker look doesn't work for me. I don't want to wax and caress a linebacker. They should have gone with with the Buick Avista and added a little more aggressiveness, just enough to strike a balance between masculine and feminine traits. If they had they wouldn't be able to build enough.

Now that I think about it, the high belt line is custom made for those perverts you read about who drive around masturbating, lol.

Is the termination official? No, but people inside GM are pissed so they're talking.

For public info, google Oppenheiser's departure from the Camaro team. His comments make it obvious he was forced out and his replacement is Mark Dickens, executive director of GM performance parts and accessories, someone not qualified to oversee development of a new generation Camaro. He's a placeholder to manage decal packages as they finish out the Camaro6 production run.

GM always does this - they create an amazing car, brilliantly engineered, but crippled by a handful of shortcomings. Then all the pro reviewers point out the flaws and tell GM to fix it, so in response GM gives up and EOLs the model. It's amazing the Corvette has survived such a corporate mentality and speaks to the political acumen of Corvette's chief engineers that they've saved the Corvette so many times from certain death.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
oregonsharkman (02-13-2019), RapidC84B (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,147 Likes on 5,983 Posts

don't want to wax and caress a linebacker.
That's a wonderful image
Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

The problem is how it performs at dealers. Ford's Mustang is cheaper, looks cooler, has a more powerful base engine, larger and more accessable cargo volume, and better visibility. It's better at being a daily driver, and a lot of pony car buyers want a daily driver.
You named all the reasons I bought a Mustang over a Camaro, especially the fact that the Camaro (at least in 2012) has horrendous visibility in all directions. Might be fine on a track, certainly is not fine for a daily. Although externally, I still think the Camaro looks a bit better, but not much.

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't expect it to be shelved, and it will likely be a formality, but that's because competent senior execs don't allow things to go to corporate boards before covering all the bases. If it were to fail at the Board level at this point, senior Chevrolet/Corvette execs will likely be invited to "seek other opportunities and spend more time with their families."
I can't imagine it being much beyond a formality after having dropped the cash on three years of development and validation and getting suppliers involved and probably having built a few dozen prototypes. Obviously any car can be canned at any time, but that is a significant outlay for something if you were wavering on actually building it. If anything, I expect the final approvals to be more along the lines of how it is going to be priced and optioned at different levels, than whether something like this will actually be built.

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-13-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:23 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

The current generation Pony Cars are fantastic vehicles. I absolutely love the reports of GT3 snobs getting their asses handed to them by a Mustang GT350. The Camaro ZL1s are absolute beasts also.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

I don't want to wax and caress a linebacker.
Quote of day - that is freakin hilarious!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry, GM top management has not given the final sign off. I could tell you about all the aerospace/aircraft models that have been fully developed and have not seen the light of day in production, but there is not enough space to list them here. Additionally, those project have cost their companies orders of magnitude more money than a Corvette. You have no idea of the economics involves within large corporations regarding projects. Top management, in general, could care less about a Corvette and the tiny amount of revenue it represents within the larger current and future perspectives.

Unfortunately, enthusiasts always operate with their decision making that has rationalized away objective considerations. The fact they are light years removed from the corporate and financial decision making processes makes their opinion relatively worthless. I wish it were not that way. I

I’ve owned numerous high end Corvettes and driven numerous mid engine cars. I certainly wish the C8 sees the light of day but I am a realist each step of the way from concept to production but the fat lady has not yet sung. If it she had, you could be able to order one today.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 02-14-2019 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

^

True. If senior mgmt and the GM board cannot be convinced that the ME project will be successful, they will have no problem killing it and writing off the development costs. The nature of R&D is that it often does not result in production of a new product.

I don't think that will be the case here, but it's possible.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-14-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:15 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Foosh
^

True. If senior mgmt and the GM board cannot be convinced that the ME project will be successful, they will have no problem killing it and writing off the development costs. The nature of R&D is that it often does not result in production of a new product.

I don't think that will be the case here, but it's possible.
A 500(+) HP, ME, C8, lighter than a C7 will not have cancellation issues, you can be your *** and the farm on that. This car will a first Corvette for many who previously never considered one. The C8 is precisely what is in order to capture the soon to be middle agers that want a 21st century, state of the art sports car. FE round taillight, chrome wheel, fist pounding members fo the Corvette old guard are totally oblivious on this one to the point of being laughable.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:32 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
It is not just ground clearance, but it is also rim and tire durability - for large portions of December to April, the roads in most urban areas around the Northeast take a beating and large deep potholes are the norm. Today alone, my Jeep went through at least half a dozen pot hole that were 2-3" deep and 3-5 sq. ft. in size - so unavoidable without hitting another car. Lots of people with regular sedans (Camry's, Civic, etc) that are pulled over after hitting these potholes - can't imagine a Corvette with its low profile rubber and $400 rims would be any better. On the other hand, my Jeep GC Trailhawk seems to take those in stride.
Sounds like the residents need to take up pitchforks and torches and march on over to City Hall.

Where the hell are all your tax dollars going if those ******** are not repairing the roads?

I deove through a.parking lot maybe two.days ago and saw a pothole so large, thought the damn thing was a meteor crater. I was thinking "Holy F Pizza Hut. Fix your ****!!" But it is a community parking lot with multiple businesses. However it is closest to Pizza Hut, right outside their building in the main through way.

Luckily our roads aren't too bad here.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
A 500(+) HP, ME, C8, lighter than a C7 will not have cancellation issues, you can be your *** and the farm on that. This car will a first Corvette for many who previously never considered one. The C8 is precisely what is in order to capture the soon to be middle agers that want a 21st century, state of the art sports car. FE round taillight, chrome wheel, fist pounding members fo the Corvette old guard are totally oblivious on this one to the point of being laughable.
As I said, I don't expect the GM Board will kill it, but it is possible, and it has not yet received final approval for production or an announcement would be forthcoming. We also don't know if any of the specs you outline above will be the case.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts

punky; 500(+) HP, ME, C8, lighter than a C7 will not have cancellation issues, you can be your *** and the farm on that. This car will a first Corvette for many who previously never considered one. The C8 is precisely what is in order to capture the soon to be middle agers that want a 21st century, state of the art sports car. FE round taillight, chrome wheel, fist pounding members fo the Corvette old guard are totally oblivious on this one to the point of being laughable.

If we are oblivious, where is the announcement ? Oh, guess I might have missed it. Could you please inform us as to where you have seen it ?
Your round taillight, chrome wheel, etc. references have no relevance to this discussion. If people have doubts, they essentially revolve around corporate financial considerations, something you obviously have no knowledge about.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by WKM
i wouldn't call a Corvette practical
Exactly, my Corvettes are all toys, options 4/5/6 out of the gate per say. I would say many on here have these as cruisers/some day to day but not forced daily options
The following users liked this post:
WKM (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
punky; 500(+) HP, ME, C8, lighter than a C7 will not have cancellation issues, you can be your *** and the farm on that. This car will a first Corvette for many who previously never considered one. The C8 is precisely what is in order to capture the soon to be middle agers that want a 21st century, state of the art sports car. FE round taillight, chrome wheel, fist pounding members fo the Corvette old guard are totally oblivious on this one to the point of being laughable.

If we are oblivious, where is the announcement ? Oh, guess I might have missed it. Could you please inform us as to where you have seen it ?
Your round taillight, chrome wheel, etc. references have no relevance to this discussion. If people have doubts, they essentially revolve around corporate financial considerations, something you obviously have no knowledge about.

LOL! Please don't take a bridge when it is "announced". Seriously Dude, do you really think a ME, C8 is some kind of an internet hoax?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has Ed Welburn basically confirm the C8?