Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&D doubles down on C8 info

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:46 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Northern Californians.
Seriously. Who would want a vehicle with a crap ton of instant torque? Gross. Less weight in the drive train. Heresy. Lower center of gravity. Can you imagine? More reliable, single speed transmissions! No way, not in my time

LOL.

Last edited by spireland; 02-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
NSX is a primarily metal-bodied car, which weighs 3900 lbs or a good 500 lbs. more than a C7 base and 300 lbs more than a Z06, although they do use SMC for fenders and trunk. It has a lot of luxury features in it, which along with the hybrid technology adds a lot of weight.

C7 SMC and carbon fiber panels save a lot of weight, and it's a safe bet the ME will also weigh a lot less. There is nothing inherent in an ME design that necessarily makes it heavier.
C8 will likely weigh more than the C7 not because of the ME layout, but the ever expanding list of tech and amenities that's expected in a roughly $70K+ sports car. The DCT won't be light either. Though heavier, the NSX is also AWD which unarguably makes a big difference in acceleration. The electric motor adds weight but also helps make the car faster so it can't be just waived as a negative. Got to look at everything and not just pick the negatives.

If the C8 "base" can match 3 sec 0-60 etc etc. with a "LT2" with roughly 500hp/500 lb-ft give or take, I would be very impressed with GM's engineering.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:57 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
C8 will likely weigh more than the C7 not because of the ME layout, but the ever expanding list of tech and amenities that's expected in a roughly $70K+ sports car. The DCT won't be light either.
gotta say... when I bought my 3300+ lb ZR1, never did I ever think it would end up possibly being the “light car” in a line up of vettes... esp with all the ribbing received from the C6Z crowd about the “added 200lbs” at that time...

Last edited by kozmic; 02-18-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

if it really takes GM 3-4 years to come to market with a hi-po version of the C8 like others have posted, they will lose half the market window. on average, a new version is introduced every 7 years. the Z06 version of the C7 was available a year after the base model. i would expect a Z06 equivalent of the C8 to become available within a similar time frame after the base.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I remember initial pricing talks when the viper was being considered something less than 30k to kill the vets. Corvette started talking entry level fixed roof to compete but nothin happened with either! Do you really think since they are competing with Audi, NXS and BMW models it will be that much cheaper????

Quick Reply: C&D doubles down on C8 info