Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:10 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Default Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?

I love the idea of "new" I honestly do.

I get that they can't eek out any more performance around a track with the current design.

what I still can't wrap my head around is that all the talk, the hype, the sketches etc of the exterior (at least the front and rear which CANNOT be changed enough at this point) do not carry that walk with a big stick look of the FE cars... idk.

I came across a couple pics in my gallery on my phone bs ing with friends about Corvette and I saw these couple and I think are these days gone now? Have we ventured into European exotic territory about 40yrs behind their starts?

I just worry like in the past, the want for different becomes a wish for the past.

even the renderings which some are outlandish trying to make the car tough looking do not inspire confidence that Corvette will retain the meanness that made me fall in love with it as a child. Maybe I'm out of touch?

Old 02-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The front of the C7 looks pretty vanilla to my eyes.

Best advice I can give on the C8 is to have patience and reserve judgement until the product is revealed. These camouflaged C8s don't have the same character as the real deal. Not at all.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Hillbilly65
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I live in the small town of London, KY. I was at the park back in the summer with some friends. We had our Vettes parked together and everyone was walking by looking them over. A Dr. in town owns a Lamborghini, I have know idea what model or year. The thing is when he pulled in close to us everyone forgot there was a Corvette in site. Everyone was gathered around the Lambo like it was some kind of God.
Corvette can stay FE or go ME and it will never ever have the draw to attention like that.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

I suppose the renders lack something for most everyone. You dont see it as "tough" enough, I dont see it as sexy enough. Lol. Not sure how ya mix those two together and get an outstanding design. Most of us will have to compromise on one level or another, if the cars driving dynamics are great it's all good!

PC
Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillbilly65
I live in the small town of London, KY. I was at the park back in the summer with some friends. We had our Vettes parked together and everyone was walking by looking them over. A Dr. in town owns a Lamborghini, I have know idea what model or year. The thing is when he pulled in close to us everyone forgot there was a Corvette in site. Everyone was gathered around the Lambo like it was some kind of God.
Corvette can stay FE or go ME and it will never ever have the draw to attention like that.
Upon initial release, the C7 was a crowd gatherer. I got mine in late 2014 (as a 2015) and it still got plenty of stares and attention. Now, C7's are pretty much passe. You see enough of them around that no one gives a second look. Lambo's, Ferrari's, Mclaren, and other exotics will always be rare birds, due to their cost and availability. GM made the Corvette affordable which is both a blessing and a curse. Car is pretty much affordable to everyone w/ a job, but the exclusivity factor is lost when that happens. For those that want an affordable near world class sports car to enjoy Corvette is the car. If you want the attention of masses when you roll into a parking lot, you'll have shop elsewhere with very deep pockets.

C8 upon release will be show stopper...but as more and more hit the road, their appeal will wane too (assuming GM prices it in the starting $50-$60K range.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 02-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
638HP (02-03-2019), bgspot (02-06-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

If you want tough looking buy a Camaro ZL1.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM
17C7
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with you. When the C7 came out it was much more aggressive looking than the C6 before it. The C8 from what I can tell from what we have seen so far looks much to me like a mid engine version of the C7 with ZR1 styling cues. Yes the whole car will be new but something about the look of it misses the mark IMO.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 17C7
I have to agree with you. When the C7 came out it was much more aggressive looking than the C6 before it. The C8 from what I can tell from what we have seen so far looks much to me like a mid engine version of the C7 with ZR1 styling cues. Yes the whole car will be new but something about the look of it misses the mark IMO.
One mote to keep in mind, we haven't had a look at the car yet, just renders. These renders may be a close match but we won't know till GM decides to grace us with a actual car to look over. lol

PC
Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

We don't know what the current design is. We haven't seen it. Renders are rarely close to the effect produced by seeing an actual car in person once revealed.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:46 PM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

https://www.hybridcars.com/zap-xebra/

How important are aerdynamics?
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The front of the C7 looks pretty vanilla to my eyes.

Best advice I can give on the C8 is to have patience and reserve judgement until the product is revealed. These camouflaged C8s don't have the same character as the real deal. Not at all.
maybe you're right. For me when I think of a C7 I think of this

and this

and the ZR1 is even more so.

just hope this thing doesn't remind us of an older ME Ferrari. That's what I meant when I say they had a huge head start and have been tweaking the design ever since.

ME car inherently will have nothing near the proportions of the FE cars. And outside of super sharp angles or an out of this world design (LaFerrari esque) it's gonna remind me of a "pill" and kill the feel. Just my opinion. Hoping I'm absolutely wrong..
Old 02-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I love the idea of "new" I honestly do.

I get that they can't eek out any more performance around a track with the current design.

what I still can't wrap my head around is that all the talk, the hype, the sketches etc of the exterior (at least the front and rear which CANNOT be changed enough at this point) do not carry that walk with a big stick look of the FE cars... idk.

I came across a couple pics in my gallery on my phone bs ing with friends about Corvette and I saw these couple and I think are these days gone now? Have we ventured into European exotic territory about 40yrs behind their starts?

I just worry like in the past, the want for different becomes a wish for the past.

even the renderings which some are outlandish trying to make the car tough looking do not inspire confidence that Corvette will retain the meanness that made me fall in love with it as a child. Maybe I'm out of touch?
This is absolutely wrong. They could definitely improve the performance of the FE design beyond the capabilities of the C7. Also, you have not seen the car yet so how can anyone make any kind of judgement whatsoever?
Old 02-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Upon initial release, the C7 was a crowd gatherer. I got mine in late 2014 (as a 2015) and it still got plenty of stares and attention. Now, C7's are pretty much passe. You see enough of them around that no one gives a second look. Lambo's, Ferrari's, Mclaren, and other exotics will always be rare birds, due to their cost and availability. GM made the Corvette affordable which is both a blessing and a curse. Car is pretty much affordable to everyone w/ a job, but the exclusivity factor is lost when that happens. For those that want an affordable near world class sports car to enjoy Corvette is the car. If you want the attention of masses when you roll into a parking lot, you'll have shop elsewhere with very deep pockets.

C8 upon release will be show stopper...but as more and more hit the road, their appeal will wane too (assuming GM prices it in the starting $50-$60K range.
Really cognizant post, 1SG. I could take a 16-wheeled bicycle to a "cars and coffee", and it would get more attention than anything else there, just from the rarity and outrageousness,
Old 02-03-2019, 04:10 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 271 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Omg not again

Old 02-03-2019, 05:08 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Lambo vs Vetter

Originally Posted by Hillbilly65
Pull that Lambo up to a 67 or 69 big block Vette with factory side pipes and the Lambo will disappear.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Only if an aging muscle car fan is doing the looking.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Only if an aging muscle car fan is doing the looking.
Owning both old and new, I can attest to the fact that that’s not quite true. Go to any Corvette event with 100 or more cars and 75 or more be C6 and C7 cars, some with every chrome do-dad you can add to the car, and most owned by happy couples 55 years old or older. But there will be a half dozen to a dozen C1 and C2 cars, some pure, some resto-mod, and those older cars will draw as much attention as any ZR, just because they are Corvettes and a little more rare than the new ones.

The same applies to a cars and coffee. Real car enthusiasts appreciate them all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red67John:
capevettes (02-03-2019), IronV (02-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?

Old 02-03-2019, 05:43 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

As much as I like a lot of the renderings, the C8, when unveiled, will be far more impressive. And yes, the old Vettes don't drive like the new ones, but they still draw a crowd.

Last edited by capevettes; 02-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IronV (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Wolf74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have to agree, the C1s and C2s (and some rarer C3s) seem to really bring the people, young and old, over to look at the Cars & Coffee and Shows. If it is a big block C2, even more so.
The following users liked this post:
IronV (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

The wide body (Z06 ZR1) is what will look bad ***.

Quick Reply: Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?