Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?

Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John

Owning both old and new, I can attest to the fact that that’s not quite true. Go to any Corvette event with 100 or more cars and 75 or more be C6 and C7 cars, some with every chrome do-dad you can add to the car, and most owned by happy couples 55 years old or older. But there will be a half dozen to a dozen C1 and C2 cars, some pure, some resto-mod, and those older cars will draw as much attention as any ZR, just because they are Corvettes and a little more rare than the new ones.

The same applies to a cars and coffee. Real car enthusiasts appreciate them all.

What you're saying is entirely different than what I was responding to. But, OK.

Corvette events are one thing, but a modern Lambo is not going to "disappear" next to a bad *** ancient Corvette, far from it, anywhere other than at a collection of aging Corvette owners.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-03-2019 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
NocarbutaVetteforme (02-03-2019), Z06Fiend (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,754 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I agree foosh. I hope the C8 is as show stopping. In just afraid this being their first go around that it isn't.

I wish it would be more angular in the front and the rear just looks like an afterthought.

maybe because all these cars are the base car?

because I do LOVE the C8r.

not this

But the standard C7 is still a good looking machine. Looking at this generic C8 camo or not rendering or not is not making me feel like they're doing it.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 02-03-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:16 PM
jsharrad
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish the C8 looked like the Aria FXE in the pic above... :P
The following users liked this post:
MsEllie (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
What you're saying is entirely different than what I was responding to. But, OK.

Corvette events are one thing, but a modern Lambo is not going to "disappear" next to a bad *** ancient Corvette, far from it, anywhere other than at a collection of aging Corvette owners.
You are correct that a Lamborghini will upstage a Corvette when parked next to one another. But not just older Corvettes, The Lamborghini, or most any other supercar, will show up most any generation corvette including the C7. And, since the average age of a C7 buyer is still around 61, nearly any gathering Corvettes will be a collection of aging Corvette owners. GM is hoping the C8 appeals to a younger market share, but that will depend on styling and price among many factors.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,754 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Lol. The reason the average age is 61 is that NOBODY needs a Corvette. It's a luxury for people who have raised a family to a point they can splurge a bit.

dumb same old argument. I'm 45 bought my first Corvette at 38. Wouldnt have bought one if it were ME (that looks like the renderings or camo car) I can assure you. That style and utility does nothing for me (yet).
Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

https://manofmany.com/rides/cars/ame...lives-aria-fxe

CARS

Just ‘Cos it’s American, Don’t Make it a Muscle Car. The Aria FXE is as Super as They Come

MAN OF MANY, 6 JAN 2018
0 SHARES

Now here’s something that’ll really rev your engine.

Using the combination of a mid-mounted 6.2 liter supercharged V8 and two front-mounted electric motors, The Aria FXE delivers an impressive 1150 horses of raw, unbridled supercar power. Together, the motors deliver 1316 lb.-ft. of torque. With a carbon fiber monocoque, carbon fiber panels, and 3D printed metals, the FXE weighs a mere 3450 pounds.

Mount all that on 265 width Pirelli Trofeo RS 20-inch wheels in the front and 325s on 21-inch wheels on the back, and you’re going to have to strap in as you rocket from 0-100 in just 3.1 seconds (not to mention its top speed of 355kmh). The transmission is a seven speed dual-clutch automatic, with manual shift mode for when you want to flex your F1 muscle while driving this Californian beast.

It’s no wonder that companies like Honda, Toyota, Tesla, Ford, GM, Disney, Paramount, Northrop Grumman, and Singer have come to Aria for design, engineering, and manufacturing solutions. Their 20 years of experience shine through with the Aria FXE. Delivering a hybrid car, with electric engines powered by a Lithium Ion 10 kWh battery, may have been a tough challenge, but the FXE doesn’t mess around. Pricing hasn’t been released, but you can bet that every penny will be worth it.

Check it out

Have you subscribed to Man of Many? You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

a friend of mine drove a lambo to high school every day. I had questioned him why. He said it was different, that's why. You don't see it everyday. Imo, they have never and will never do anything for me. Some Ferraris are nice etc. I've always found myself gravitating towards older vehicles. I prefer the look of C2s and early C3s, they're just bad *** looking. Early Ferraris etc. I may be biased because they're what I've worked on but it just felt like you could feel the love and effort into sculpting the car. All the little imperfections were Mark's of the hands building it. IDK it's weird I know.

I like the new stuff too (bar the regular C7, nothing about it I really like and it looks like an afterthought through and through to me but hey, I have an ******* just like everyone has an opinion) my buddy bought a 718, I think that's a nice looking (and fun) little car. I do like the look of the final edition C7 as well. Mainly I like satin decal package and trim. I'm not an evil being. If I like how the thing looks I'll say it. Simple as that. The C8 to me shows promise. There is a lot going on under that camo that I think a lot of people are missing. It'll be fun.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default True beauty is timeless

Yeah. I've seen lots of exotics ignored next to old Vettes or Jags. But that wasn't my point either. Classic designs retain their appeal through time and fashion. the combination of qualities that creates a real classic design is not ephemeral and not confined to the old or new.

Things are not looking good for the C8 in that regard. We'll see.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

all i know is that when i watch meccum and barrett jackson and a corvette,porsche, and ferrari of the same year come across the block, the design of ferrari always just looks so much better and still exotic.

porsche and gm just play it safe i guess-don't mess with what works.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

For the forum ballahs.....

https://aria-fxe.com/register-interest

Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
For the forum ballahs.....

https://aria-fxe.com/register-interest
It would be hysterical of that's what's camoed up.
Warp Factor (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
https://manofmany.com/rides/cars/ame...lives-aria-fxe

Just ‘Cos it’s American, Don’t Make it a Muscle Car. The Aria FXE is as Super as They Come

It’s no wonder that companies like Honda, Toyota, Tesla, Ford, GM, Disney, Paramount, Northrop Grumman, and Singer have come to Aria for design, engineering, and manufacturing solutions. Their 20 years of experience shine through with the Aria FXE. Delivering a hybrid car, with electric engines powered by a Lithium Ion 10 kWh battery, may have been a tough challenge, but the FXE doesn’t mess around. Pricing hasn’t been released, but you can bet that every penny will be worth it.

Have you subscribed to Man of Many? You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Simply horrible. Every detail.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

I don't see how you can design a ME Vette that can equal the C7 for current customer needs. Such a ME design hasn't been achieved before. Maybe there is a man out there than can do it. This is my limit, but I'll know the right design if I ever see it.
All the C7 needed was a decent face lift. A LeMans winning Ford GT type design for the C8 and a Bentley/Rolls Royce type Cadillac would be very profitable. It would place GM at the top of the automotive heap if executed correctly..
Have you seen RR and Bentley sales? RR and Ferrari should be the target for Cadillac and Zora. Just saying. I'm not only worried about the future of Corvette, I'm worried about the future of my country.

Last edited by Shaka; 02-04-2019 at 06:52 PM.
John T (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John

You are correct that a Lamborghini will upstage a Corvette when parked next to one another. But not just older Corvettes, The Lamborghini, or most any other supercar, will show up most any generation corvette including the C7. And, since the average age of a C7 buyer is still around 61, nearly any gathering Corvettes will be a collection of aging Corvette owners. GM is hoping the C8 appeals to a younger market share, but that will depend on styling and price among many factors.
where did that 61 stat for the c7 come from.? All the modern Corvette owners I know are far younger and I do not see these older drivers in the c7s I see daily. I
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless a car looks sinister and mean I am not interested.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I am not a brand loyalist to the exclusion of others. I admire a variety of cars based on their looks or performance (or both). I am not a big Lambo fan on the appearance side, but I do however appreciate their performance and rarity. When I see on on the street, I notice it immediately and point it out to my wife. I like many of the Ferrari's but not all (appearance-wise). The C7 is a design based on a Ferrari I really like (main reason I bought one). C8 is still too concealed to make an educated guess whether is will be appealing or not (to me). If it turns out that I'm not crazy about it, my next car will be something else that I do like. Not a big deal.

That being said, I'm pretty confident that GM will design a car that will appeal to the majority. It may not be perfect (remember the moaning about the C7 tail lights), but for the most part very sexy and appealing at a reasonable price point.

The FXE pictured a few posts up is one of the nicest car designs I've seen. If the C8 reflects much of that, than GM it will have hit a "gand-slam" IMO.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Shaka's white Ferrari/Corvette knocked me sideways for minute!

Get notified of new replies

To Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Azferrari
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I am not a brand loyalist to the exclusion of others. I admire a variety of cars based on their looks or performance (or both). I am not a big Lambo fan on the appearance side, but I do however appreciate their performance and rarity. When I see on on the street, I notice it immediately and point it out to my wife. I like many of the Ferrari's but not all (appearance-wise). The C7 is a design based on a Ferrari I really like (main reason I bought one). C8 is still too concealed to make an educated guess whether is will be appealing or not (to me). If it turns out that I'm not crazy about it, my next car will be something else that I do like. Not a big deal.

That being said, I'm pretty confident that GM will design a car that will appeal to the majority. It may not be perfect (remember the moaning about the C7 tail lights), but for the most part very sexy and appealing at a reasonable price point.

The FXE pictured a few posts up is one of the nicest car designs I've seen. If the C8 reflects much of that, than GM it will have hit a "gand-slam" IMO.
I like all cars also!

bgspot (02-06-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,977 Likes on 2,879 Posts

I hate for it to look same old same old. But too exotic? I don't think so. You've got to remember their customer base is the 50 to 80 year old conservative male. I believe that it will be just about right in aesthetic design balance.

​​​​​​​...

​​​​​​​...

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-04-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,977 Likes on 2,879 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Lol. The reason the average age is 61 is that NOBODY needs a Corvette. It's a luxury for people who have raised a family to a point they can splurge a bit.

dumb same old argument. I'm 45 bought my first Corvette at 38. Wouldnt have bought one if it were ME (that looks like the renderings or camo car) I can assure you. That style and utility does nothing for me (yet).
Was it a new one?

​​​​​​​.. The demographics thrown about on these forums tends to obscure the demographic with their buying used Corvettes.. GM has NO interest in the age of used Corvette buyers.
​​​​​​​
d buyer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it me? Or is the projected design just not TOUGH looking enough?