Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Default C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?

Rather than type it all out, I decided to just publish this commentary.

While the C8 Rumors are good for some level of HYPE, this situation can also create some HARM if we aren't careful. The Corvette community sets Corvette apart from other care enthusiast groups....always has. Let's not let this fracture things.

The following 2 users liked this post by tonypittman:
ojm (02-05-2019), sunsalem (03-03-2019)

Popular Reply

02-05-2019, 04:22 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Ya more YouTube videos trying to get views and subscribers! Please solicit your videos somewhere else.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:53 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Great message Tony. Keep up the good word!
The following users liked this post:
tonypittman (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:22 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Ya more YouTube videos trying to get views and subscribers! Please solicit your videos somewhere else.
The following 12 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
ArmchairArchitect (02-05-2019), C7pimp (02-05-2019), Flex182 (02-28-2019), Grzldvt1 (02-08-2019), jimmyb (02-05-2019), MagRedConv (02-05-2019), p3pilot (02-05-2019), RapidC84B (02-05-2019), ShadowGray19 (02-24-2019), ShagVette (02-05-2019), Viper (02-24-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-05-2019) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
While the C8 Rumors are good for some level of HYPE, this situation can also create some HARM if we aren't careful. The Corvette community sets Corvette apart from other care enthusiast groups....always has. Let's not let this fracture things.
Hate to break it to you, other car enthusiast groups are just as invested in the development and industry news on their vehicles. The Mustang guys just went through their own anxiety sitting around following all the rumors with the GT500 for example.

If the rumors truly affects you that much, probably best to step away from the forums for a bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
MagRedConv (02-05-2019), vrybad (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

GM to layoff 4300 white collar workers this week. This is not a rumor.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Great, more video spam. Listen, I come here to read thoughtful posts, of which there are many. If I want to watch videos then I go to youtube or turn on my TV Machine.

It would be nice if you at least had the respect and courtesy to write out your thoughts and post them here. Posting a video is just lazy and makes me wonder if you're illiterate.
ShagVette (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:40 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Great, more video spam. Listen, I come here to read thoughtful posts, of which there are many. If I want to watch videos then I go to youtube or turn on my TV Machine.

It would be nice if you at least had the respect and courtesy to write out your thoughts and post them here. Posting a video is just lazy and makes me wonder if you're illiterate.
Wow...posting a video...lazy? Really....I respect your POV, but if you've ever spent time shooting and editing a video then you would know that it's much more work than keyboard warfare. Believe that.

Also, if you bothered to watch the video...refer to my comment about your mouse....

Originally Posted by Zjoe6

Not good!

Originally Posted by skank
Great message Tony. Keep up the good word!

Thank you. I know some will blast back...but, I believe the points are valid. I appreciate your support!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-08-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Not good!
Not at all. It means they are hurting for money. And the remaining people will be overworked.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM
17C7
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Biggest mistake GM made was not introducing the C8 in Detroit. Forget electrical issues they could have driven a body out on stage powered by a lawn mower motor. Who cares if its delayed 6 months there is more to this delay than meets the eye. The fact that GM announced a year ago the plant tours would re open in January 2019 tells the tale that something went terribly wrong. For every day they wait they are in my eyes damaging the cars reputation before they even roll it out.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 17C7
Biggest mistake GM made was not introducing the C8 in Detroit. Forget electrical issues they could have driven a body out on stage powered by a lawn mower motor. Who cares if its delayed 6 months there is more to this delay than meets the eye. The fact that GM announced a year ago the plant tours would re open in January 2019 tells the tale that something went terribly wrong. For every day they wait they are in my eyes damaging the cars reputation before they even roll it out.
It certainly makes it much tougher to say I want one of the first 5,000 sold.
vndkshn (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Wow...posting a video...lazy? Really....I respect your POV, but if you've ever spent time shooting and editing a video then you would know that it's much more work than keyboard warfare. Believe that.

Also, if you bothered to watch the video...refer to my comment about your mouse....
If videos are so much work then why don't you write out your thoughts and post them here? What's the problem?

ShagVette (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Would you have us do a group hug or something?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-05-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:40 AM
BillB3672
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
That is just the white collar workers, but it is my understanding there are another 6000 to 7000 blue collar workers getting the axe.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
If videos are so much work then why don't you write out your thoughts and post them here? What's the problem?

I may just do that in the future. I thought a video, showing how I really felt about the topic, would get the point across more effectively. I’m tired of keyboard warrior stuff.

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Would you have us do a group hug or something?

No..not really. Just calling for folks to be less toxic. Maybe too much to ask, I know.

Originally Posted by BillB3672
That is just the white collar workers, but it is my understanding there are another 6000 to 7000 blue collar workers getting the axe.
Really not good to see. While this may or may not mean anything specifically for Corvette (unless they are coming out of Bowling Green, KY), it is always bad to see this news and know that lives and families will be disrupted.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-08-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:24 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

This is not just about the C8 or ME. What I find amazing is the amount of just pure negativity and cynicism on CF regarding GM in general and every aspect of Corvette in particular - vehicle styling, engineering, naming, development team, etc.

It's my understanding that CF is a Corvette Enthusiast site and not a site created so people can vent their spleen on everything they despise, or expect to despise, about anything past, present, or future regarding the Corvette marque.

If I didn't have an educated filter and listened to the expert naysayers on the C7 section, it is unclear whether I would have sold my C5 and purchased my C7 Vert.
It would have been a shame as my C7 is, by far, the best engineered and built Corvette I have ever driven or owned. I love the fact that the styling is a logical evolution of the C3 DNA - and it is still turning heads on a daily basis even though the design is 5 years old.

What we know and what GM shows about the ME is a highly distorted glimpse in to the future. However, this has empowered many to prophetically declare the ME as over-priced, poorly styled, and quite possibly the end of the Corvette marque.

As a Corvette Enthusiast, I believe there are some extremely talented and hardworking folks who have dedicated/staked the past few years of their careers to make the next generation a success.

Am I a little worried about a change to a ME architecture, or if my big feet might not fit in a foot well that shares space with the front wheel, or whether it can carry enough groceries and stuff so my future Corvette can still be my daily driver?

Absolutely. But IMHO as a Corvette Enthusiast, I have faith in the Corvette team that the ME design will be executed at least as well as my C7 - which means it should be another world-class Corvette.

Last edited by tomlink; 02-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tomlink:
Grzldvt1 (02-05-2019), Red67John (02-05-2019), tonypittman (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by tomlink
This is not just about the C8 or ME. What I find amazing is the amount of just pure negativity and cynicism on CF regarding GM in general and every aspect of Corvette in particular - vehicle styling, engineering, naming, development team, etc.

It's my understanding that CF is a Corvette Enthusiast site and not a site created so people can vent their spleen on everything they despise, or expect to despise, about anything past, present, or future regarding the Corvette marque.

If I didn't have an educated filter and listened to the expert naysayers on the C7 section, it is unclear whether I would have sold my C5 and purchased my C7 Vert.
It would have been a shame as my C7 is, by far, the best engineered and built Corvette I have ever driven or owned. I love the fact that the styling is a logical evolution of the C3 DNA - and it is still turning heads on a daily basis even though the design is 5 years old.

What we know and what GM shows about the ME is a highly distorted glimpse in to the future. However, this has empowered many to prophetically declare the ME as over-priced, poorly styled, and the end of the Corvette marque.

As a Corvette Enthusiast, I believe there are some extremely talented and hardworking folks who have dedicated/staked the past few years of their careers to make the next generation a success.

Am I a little worried about a change to a ME architecture, or if my big feet might not fit in a foot well that shares space with the front wheel, or whether it can carry enough groceries and stuff so my future Corvette can still be my daily driver?

Absolutely. But IMHO as a Corvette Enthusiast, I have faith in the Corvette team that the ME design will be executed at least as well as my C7 - which means it should be another world-class Corvette.
Great points. And with the initial opinions on the C7 design and now the C8 mules running around in camo, I would hope GM solicited their most valuable asset, the customer, and asked what they would like to see on the next version and follow the greater majority.

When someone posted the Aria FXE as a remote up in your face possibility, I was excited because the Aria FXE is one hot design.

I fail to believe exterior design monopolizes the majority of a car's values as compared to the technology, engine, interior, etc.

Good grief GM. Some of their designers need to be fired for having inconsistent vision.

If the Aria FXE can look hot and have cheap GM interior as compared to other exotics, what's the problem?

Their vision is somehow been skewed and I certainly hope the C8 reveal will change my mind. Not prove me to be correct in that they have a golden opportunity here..... don't **** it up half-assing the design.
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
tomlink (02-05-2019), tonypittman (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Amen!
tonypittman (02-05-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,197 Likes on 592 Posts

I may just do that in the future. I thought a video, showing how I really felt about the topic, would get the point across more effectively. I’m tired of keyboard warrior stuff.
It's cool that you like to produce video's but you also have to realize that after awhile it becomes promotion of what is now commonly referred to as a commercial activity carried out by hopeful YT enterpriser's.

Unlike a video members of the forum can quickly scan a written post to decide if its something they even want to waste time reading through to the end. You simply do not have that option with a video as you are forced to watch it in it's entirety before you find out if it was informative or a complete waste of time. I am a member of many other enthusiast forums geared to the toys I own. Most of which do not allow promotion of commercial activities of any type without a paid sponsorship.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDSKY:
jefnvk (02-05-2019), ShagVette (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by 17C7
I diasagree. The biggest mistake is to show off something that's not even close to ready for prime-time. You completely waste the excitement generated by the initial impact.

The NSX was introduced 3-4 years ago in a Super Bowl commercial, and only recently appeared. Folks simply lost interest, and once it finally became available, sales have been abysmal with only about 150 a year sold thus far. Obviously, a premature reveal is not the only reason, but Honda has suffered tremendous embarrassment as a result of the long delay.

GM is doing exactly the right thing by waiting until they can announce an availability date with confidence.

With regard to the thread topic, negativity and occasional nastiness are norms on every internet forum, and it is certainly a characteristic of every automotive forum. I've been active on a half dozen or more forums and don't find CF to be much different from any of the others.

I joined CF in 2004 and was very active, left in 2008 when I sold my C6 Z06, and did not return until 2016 when I purchased my first C7. It was the same a decade ago as it is today with some nasty participants mixed in with a lot of nice and helpful people.

The cloak of anonymity does that to some people.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-05-2019 at 01:26 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
jefnvk (02-05-2019), John T (02-05-2019), redzone (02-05-2019), Zymurgy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:17 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

All the internet hype is making the C8 a legend , hope we are not let down.

Quick Reply: C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?