Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Not really, spending too much time here can give you a distorted view. I don't think much of the real world is eagerly awaiting it, so it's hardly a legend. This is a collection of a couple of hundred Corvette fanatics posting over and over again. Yes, I'm one of them, but I try to stay attached to the real world too.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Not really, spending too much time here can give you a distorted view. I don't think much of the real world is eagerly awaiting it, so it's hardly a legend. This is a collection of a couple of hundred Corvette fanatics posting over and over again. Yes, I'm one of them, but I try to stay attached to the real world too.
Exactly, I have talked to a co-worker that owns a C7 and he is clueless about the C8 rumors. I don't think many people outside of the very interested enthusiasts pay any attention to this.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Self-serving "Tony Pittman" once again on his quest to get to 1,000 subscribers so he can begin to monetize his Youtube videos. Please, take these useless video posts somewhere else.
ShagVette (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

I have a suspicion that the 6mos additional delay is to adapt the C8 architecture to accept the bits and pieces from the GM universal EV package so that future vehicles using the C8 platform can be hy or pure EV. Could be Vetts or Caddy. The expressive Lux Low-Roof
If so, some of the delay is NOT Vett driven but GM required for the adaption
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^^^

The ONLY way the car is DELAYED is if YOU know the release date....So, do you?
There was plenty of ASSUMPTION that the car would be shown in Detroit January 2019. GM NEVER teased that, implied that, hinted at that, etc....

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-05-2019 at 06:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Foosh (02-05-2019), norge1956 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:04 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by JDSKY
It's cool that you like to produce video's but you also have to realize that after awhile it becomes promotion of what is now commonly referred to as a commercial activity carried out by hopeful YT enterpriser's.

Unlike a video members of the forum can quickly scan a written post to decide if its something they even want to waste time reading through to the end. You simply do not have that option with a video as you are forced to watch it in it's entirety before you find out if it was informative or a complete waste of time. I am a member of many other enthusiast forums geared to the toys I own. Most of which do not allow promotion of commercial activities of any type without a paid sponsorship.

100% Correct.
ArmchairArchitect (02-07-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Great points. And with the initial opinions on the C7 design and now the C8 mules running around in camo, I would hope GM solicited their most valuable asset, the customer, and asked what they would like to see on the next version and follow the greater majority.
Believe me, GM does. They're just not the consumers here, who represent the fringe, rather they are the bread and butter core.

GM has to sell this car to (give or take) 20k people a year. A couple hundred folks on a Corvette forum are a minute percentage of their sales, would likely give a skewed view of what the "public" wants, and harsh as it may sound, GM knows full well the bulk will buy whatever they put out anyhow.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:44 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I’ll have to concur; the longer I stay in the C8 General Discussion forum my brain cells are beginning to hurt.
vrybad (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^^^

The ONLY way the car is a DELAYED is if YOU know the release date....So, do you?
There was plenty of ASSUMPTION that the car would be shown in Detroit January 2019. GM NEVER teased that, implied that, hinted at that, etc....
Wasn't this whole delay started from GM Authority and anonymous sources?

PC
Old 02-05-2019, 06:02 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Darion
Wasn't this whole delay started from GM Authority and anonymous sources?

PC
Yes. But "GMAuthority" is NOT affiliated with GM in ANY way. And the "delay" was caused by an electrical issue that was NEVER mentioned by a second source. Meanwhile, C8 mules continued to be out in public...
You decide.

I still maintain that there CAN'T be a delay if one doesn't have FIRM release date to compare it to.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I’ll have to concur; the longer I stay in the C8 General Discussion forum my brain cells are beginning to hurt.

There are THREE magic words, that, were they used, would make the C8 Sub-forum MUCH better....and those THREE magic words, you ask?

IN MY OPINION

This place is a hot mess because a very small, very vocal group of guys that THINK they KNOW come on here and deliver pronouncements....as if these pronouncements came down from Mt. Sinai.
Fun examples are: The 6 figure price, the transmission builder, which engine, the release location, the weight, etc....NONE of which are or were FACTS. Of course, the release location has been blown up twice (Monterey and Detroit), the rest we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-08-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:04 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
Rather than type it all out, I decided to just publish this commentary.

While the C8 Rumors are good for some level of HYPE, this situation can also create some HARM if we aren't careful. The Corvette community sets Corvette apart from other care enthusiast groups....always has. Let's not let this fracture things.

https://youtu.be/yejavJV7j4g

excellent video, , thumbs up.

tonypittman (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by tomlink
This is not just about the C8 or ME. What I find amazing is the amount of just pure negativity and cynicism on CF regarding GM in general and every aspect of Corvette in particular - vehicle styling, engineering, naming, development team, etc.

It's my understanding that CF is a Corvette Enthusiast site and not a site created so people can vent their spleen on everything they despise, or expect to despise, about anything past, present, or future regarding the Corvette marque.

If I didn't have an educated filter and listened to the expert naysayers on the C7 section, it is unclear whether I would have sold my C5 and purchased my C7 Vert.
It would have been a shame as my C7 is, by far, the best engineered and built Corvette I have ever driven or owned. I love the fact that the styling is a logical evolution of the C3 DNA - and it is still turning heads on a daily basis even though the design is 5 years old.

What we know and what GM shows about the ME is a highly distorted glimpse in to the future. However, this has empowered many to prophetically declare the ME as over-priced, poorly styled, and quite possibly the end of the Corvette marque.

As a Corvette Enthusiast, I believe there are some extremely talented and hardworking folks who have dedicated/staked the past few years of their careers to make the next generation a success.

Am I a little worried about a change to a ME architecture, or if my big feet might not fit in a foot well that shares space with the front wheel, or whether it can carry enough groceries and stuff so my future Corvette can still be my daily driver?

Absolutely. But IMHO as a Corvette Enthusiast, I have faith in the Corvette team that the ME design will be executed at least as well as my C7 - which means it should be another world-class Corvette.
I'm going to start off with Jimmyb's suggestion: IN MY OPINION, I think there may be a few all-out Corvette detractors on CF, but not many. What you speak of is DEGREE of concern re certain aspects of what could be, or seems to be the upcoming C8. Like you, they worry about foot space, cargo space, general utility for a DD, etc. But their degree of concern may be far less, or far more than yours. That doesn't make them silly or ridiculous---just a different level of concern for a brand or car they very much want to like, AND to buy.

Most of the posters also TRUST the Corvette team of designers, engineers, ergonomics experts, etc. to make it beautiful and make it right the first time. BUT, there have been mistakes in the past, and not just one, but several---which I would add is normal. There are even current models of other cars in the family that seem to be ongoing mistakes. Some of those models are being discontinued. Once again, this can cause worry and concern especially when there are existing, demonstrable issues---real or imagined.

The C7 has been a great success and leap forward, and as always, a great learning experience for the next gen. The question---as it always is: was the lesson learned and used to correct so there aren't future errors of a similar nature.

The prior experience for the first year of C7s seems to say that 35K+ buyers were ready and liked what they saw in 2013-2014. It will very likely happen again whenever the C8 ME is ready for orders and sale IMO!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-06-2019), skank (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Self-serving "Tony Pittman" once again on his quest to get to 1,000 subscribers so he can begin to monetize his Youtube videos. Please, take these useless video posts somewhere else.
I think it is so funny that you can't resist coming back into this thread just to say that. Seriously...LOL.

No prob...I get your message and will bow to your opinion, despite the fact that others in this thread disagree. After all, we are here to serve you.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:21 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Great points. And with the initial opinions on the C7 design and now the C8 mules running around in camo, I would hope GM solicited their most valuable asset, the customer, and asked what they would like to see on the next version and follow the greater majority.

When someone posted the Aria FXE as a remote up in your face possibility, I was excited because the Aria FXE is one hot design.

I fail to believe exterior design monopolizes the majority of a car's values as compared to the technology, engine, interior, etc.

Good grief GM. Some of their designers need to be fired for having inconsistent vision.

If the Aria FXE can look hot and have cheap GM interior as compared to other exotics, what's the problem?

Their vision is somehow been skewed and I certainly hope the C8 reveal will change my mind. Not prove me to be correct in that they have a golden opportunity here..... don't **** it up half-assing the design.
Listening to customers is why we don't have the Viper anymore.
Listening to customers and we would still have flip up headlights.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-05-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Didn't watch, and not interested, I am in the majority, type it up so I can rapidly scan it.
You have 10 seconds to capture your audience on Youtube, you failed miserably. Plus my next reaction, what is up with the Hollywood sunglasses??? You come off as a narcissist rube with that look or too embarrassed to show your face.
Sorry to be so brutal, but I am suspecting you were looking for major kudos, and IMO this was just the opposite. I am the easiest going guy on the planet, but this just doesn't work for me.
The second I clicked and saw it was 6 minutes I passed/got out. No way in hell am I going to listen to someone babble about a model that does not exist and listen to another "expert" talk about it.
Don't care if you have more "insider" information, 6 minutes is just way too long and the Hollywood look from an amateur just looses any credibility.
The following 4 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
ArmchairArchitect (02-07-2019), ShagVette (02-06-2019), tonypittman (02-06-2019), Zymurgy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes. But "GMAuthority" is NOT affiliated with GM in ANY way. And the "delay" was caused by an electrical issue that was NEVER mentioned by a second source. Meanwhile, C8 mules continued to be out in public...
You decide.

I still maintain that there CAN'T be a delay if one doesn't have FIRM release date to compare it to.
Correct, I should have added GM Authority isn't GM and they have been off the mark on more than on occasion! lol

PC
Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Roscoe Primrose
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^^^^

The ONLY way the car is DELAYED is if YOU know the release date....So, do you?
Horsesh!t. GM has a time line for the C8 release. If that time line has been pushed back, then there's a delay. Whether of not anyone outside of GM knows the time line is irrelevant....
Grzldvt1 (02-08-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?

Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Roscoe Primrose
Horsesh!t. GM has a time line for the C8 release. If that time line has been pushed back, then there's a delay. Whether of not anyone outside of GM knows the time line is irrelevant....
Of course GM HAS a timeline. And maybe the car IS delayed. And maybe the car is running right on schedule. I don't know nor does ANYONE on this forum know.
The point is that WE don't KNOW the time line so to say point blank "THE CAR IS DELAYED" IS horseshit, because WE don't KNOW that it is. If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.

THE point (and only point) is that NO ONE (outside of GM) knows the timeline, Impatient folks start making up stuff like:"The car is delayed", having ZERO knowledge to back that claim up. It's the guys that decided (and said multiple times) that the car would release in Detroit 2019. That didn't happen, so to save face, we get "The car is delayed".

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-06-2019 at 05:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Grzldvt1 (02-08-2019), Zymurgy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscoe Primrose
Having managed many projects over the years, I can say that internal timelines are usually set aggressively by management based upon everything going exactly as projected and to keep a team moving. Almost no big project ever goes exactly as planned because testing reveals something unanticipated. A smart manufacturer doesn't announce a new product until they are sure it's ready for prime time, which is exactly what GM is doing with the ME.

Announced timelines are almost always later than the original internal timelines. In my mind, until something is promised to the outside world, there is no delay.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Grzldvt1 (02-08-2019), jefnvk (02-07-2019), Zymurgy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Roscoe Primrose
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Read your own post. You said: "The ONLY way the car is DELAYED is if YOU know the release date...." which is obviously incorrect EVEN ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN FAILED ATTEMPT TO REBUT MY POST! If you can't understand that, go take an English class. I'm sure your local community college offers one. Now, if you'd been smart enough to so say "The ONLY way you can know if the car is DELAYED is if YOU know the release date...." you wouldn't look so foolish...

Quick Reply: C8 rumors - Shifting from Hype to HARM?