Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Could reveal be during National Corvette Caravan?

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could reveal be during National Corvette Caravan?

 
Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM
  #21  
DaveFerrari458
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,385
Thanked 183 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Oh yeah, GM is moving the C8 even further up the world class ladder so a reveal in Kentucky makes a lot of sense! So all the esteemed press can stay at the local Motel 6's and dine at Chili's LOL.
DaveFerrari458 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 08:48 PM
  #22  
tooold2race
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Keller Texas
Posts: 275
Thanked 136 Times in 74 Posts
Default

I am absolutely certain that there WILL BE a 'reveal' at the Museum in Bowling Green. The reveal, in my opinion, will be the 2020 C7. Perhaps even another 'Special Edition'..... For you guys that will be there, please post plenty of pictures. Hopefully, it won't be a 'yawn' like the 'Driver's Editions' or the 'European Final Edition'.
tooold2race is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 09:30 PM
  #23  
Plexoer
CF Senior Member
 
Plexoer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 279
Thanked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
^
Actually, the reveal could well increase C7 sales because some will find the ME polarizing. When the C7 was introduced, last year C6 sales ticked up because many found the C7 design polarizing.
Highly doubt it. If the C8 is done correctly, it will damn near make the C7 obsolete in performance. While it may be true there will be the few that want a front engine or don't like the looks, the performance will so much better it will deter potential C7 buyers.

Last edited by Plexoer; 02-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Plexoer is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM
  #24  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 15,526
Thanked 6,351 Times in 3,683 Posts
Default

Plex,

I don't disagree with you, but my comment in post #18 was meant to convey that the ME reveal may generate a temporary uptick in C7 sales because there will be folks who are waiting for reveal and won't like the looks of the new car. That would simply be a temporary increase in an already depressed C7 sales level, which I wouldn't expect to last long. All I was trying to say is that I don't think the reveal will "kill" C7 sales immediately during the waiting period for the new cars to hit dealer lots.

Once the new car becomes available, I think it will most definitely cut significantly into sales of remaining C7 inventory, and expect it to sell in much larger numbers, like 35-45K units a year for at least the first few MYs, much like the C6 and C7 did. That's assuming it's priced similarly to the C7 gen with only a relatively small percentage price increase.

If it starts at anywhere $100K, it will be a low volume car. I also have serious doubts about its long-term viability at that price point because I don't think GM wants to be in the low volume, high price sports car business.

My point was there will be a hard core "don't like the change" contingent snapping up the remaining cars, just like there is/was for the C5 and C6. We still have C7 haters posting regularly in the C7 section.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-06-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Foosh is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:09 PM
  #25  
Plexoer
CF Senior Member
 
Plexoer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 279
Thanked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Plex,

I don't disagree with you, but my comment in post #18 was meant to convey that the ME reveal may generate a temporary uptick in C7 sales because there will be folks who are waiting for reveal and won't like the looks of the new car. That would simply be a temporary increase in an already depressed C7 sales level, which I wouldn't expect to last long. All I was trying to say is that I don't think the reveal will "kill" C7 sales immediately during the waiting period for the new cars to hit dealer lots.

Once the new car becomes available, I think it will most definitely cut significantly into sales of remaining C7 inventory, and expect it to sell in much larger numbers, like 35-45K units a year for at least the first few MYs, much like the C6 and C7 did. That's assuming it's priced similarly to the C7 gen with only a relatively small percentage price increase.

If it starts at anywhere $100K, it will be a low volume car. I also have serious doubts about its long-term viability at that price point because I don't think GM wants to be in the low volume, high price sports car business.

My point was there will be a hard core "don't like the change" contingent snapping up the remaining cars, just like there is/was for the C5 and C6. We still have C7 haters posting regularly in the C7 section.
I agree with that. All I know for sure is this wait is killing me.
Plexoer is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 PM
  #26  
Garret
CF Senior Member
 
Garret's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 8,527
Thanked 194 Times in 141 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Default

again, how many more of these stupid threads do we need....
Garret is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Garret For This Useful Post:
Steven Bell (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
  #27  
Mayor111
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mayor111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,598
Thanked 507 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
No. Why would you release the arguably most important car in the marque's 65+ years to the captured audience that will probably buy it anyway?
Your logic is backwards - that's like saying it's silly to advertise beer during the Super Bowl, because the audience watching the Super Bowl already drinks beer... A captive Corvette-sentric audience is exactly what a marketer would drool over. Which is why they advertise beer and snacks during the Super Bowl...cause that is exactly what Super Bowl audiences crave...and go buy.

Using that same logic - to have a C8 released during the Caravan you would achieve the following:
1) It would be at the Corvette Museum / Bowling Green (the pinnacle location of Corvette), 2) in front of Corvette die-hard customers (the ultimate rah-rah crowd), 3) Several thousands in attendance (alot more than any auto show), 4) It gives current Corvette owners (from all generations) the opportunity to get excited to upgrade...
Mayor111 is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:06 PM
  #28  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 15,526
Thanked 6,351 Times in 3,683 Posts
Default

The problem is that it is a tiny audience and wouldn't be widely covered.
Foosh is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:12 PM
  #29  
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 6,688
Thanked 953 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
Your logic is backwards - that's like saying it's silly to advertise beer during the Super Bowl, because the audience watching the Super Bowl already drinks beer... A captive Corvette-sentric audience is exactly what a marketer would drool over. Which is why they advertise beer and snacks during the Super Bowl...cause that is exactly what Super Bowl audiences crave...and go buy.

Using that same logic - to have a C8 released during the Caravan you would achieve the following:
1) It would be at the Corvette Museum / Bowling Green (the pinnacle location of Corvette), 2) in front of Corvette die-hard customers (the ultimate rah-rah crowd), 3) Several thousands in attendance (alot more than any auto show), 4) It gives current Corvette owners (from all generations) the opportunity to get excited to upgrade...
Beer and chips verses $70K automobiles? Got it...virtually identical products and marketing strategies.
Want to have a big BASH at the museum, I'm sure that will happen at some point. Intro'ing the C8 where you want and need MAXIMUM coverage? Uh, no

I don't know what car shows you go to, the New York Auto Show draws more than ONE MILLION people per year. Ditto the Los Angeles show.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-06-2019 at 05:20 PM.
jimmyb is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 PM
  #30  
Mayor111
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mayor111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,598
Thanked 507 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Looking back at the video where GM launched the C7 - it looked like there wasn't more than a few hundred folks around the stage... The Caravan will have thousands of folks...so Im not sure its a "tiny" venue... Again...just a guess.

Mayor111 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayor111 For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM
  #31  
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 6,688
Thanked 953 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garret View Post
again, how many more of these stupid threads do we need....
Kind of like the old joke:
How many female singers does it take to sing "Crazy"?
Apparently every one of them.
jimmyb is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 PM
  #32  
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 6,688
Thanked 953 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
Looking back at the video where GM launched the C7 - it looked like there wasn't more than a few hundred folks around the stage... The Caravan will have thousands of folks...so Im not sure its a "tiny" venue... Again...just a guess.

The car was at the show for the duration....they didn't take it away and hide after the intro that night....
I am HAPPY to be wrong on this, but I don't think there's any way GM intro's the C8 in Kentucky.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-06-2019 at 05:27 PM.
jimmyb is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 PM
  #33  
Mayor111
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mayor111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,598
Thanked 507 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Beer and chips verses $70K automobiles? Got it...virtually identical products and marketing strategies.
Want to have a big BASH at the museum, I'm sure that will happen at some point. Intro'ing the C8 where you want and need MAXIMUM coverage? Uh, no

I don't know what car shows you go to, the New York Auto Show draws more than ONE MILLION people per year. Ditto the Los Angeles show.
Are you trying to say that those Auto Shows are more "marketing giants" than the Super Bowl? Ummm, I hate to tell ya - but the Super Bowl earns more from advertising dollars than both of those Auto Shows combined... They charge millions of dollars for a few seconds...so yeah...I'll compare since they both are BIG dollar marketing plans... Im sorry...what were you saying about a $70k car?

Last edited by Mayor111; 02-06-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Mayor111 is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
  #34  
mschuyler
CF Senior Member
 
mschuyler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Bainbridge Island WA
Posts: 3,520
Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
Using that same logic - to have a C8 released during the Caravan you would achieve the following:1) It would be at the Corvette Museum / Bowling Green (the pinnacle location of Corvette), 2) in front of Corvette die-hard customers (the ultimate rah-rah crowd), 3) Several thousands in attendance (alot more than any auto show), 4) It gives current Corvette owners (from all generations) the opportunity to get excited to upgrade...
It's not going to happen. We have ALREADY been over the reasons why, in detail, but here are some more. Before we get into it, review how the reveals have been done before. Remember the attention to detail, the stage lighting, the velvet curtains, the way the car is driven onto the platform, which then rotates to the flashing lights of the cameras. Indoors, of course, where only the credentialed can gain admittance. It's a carefully choreographed ceremony with no expense spared. The professional media presentation is projected onto giant screens. It's on a par with reveals from Apple or Samsung. The sound system prevails in the auditorium with rich bass notes. Perfect. If there are other exhibits in the hall, they are staffed with men in business suits and pretty women, VERY pretty women elegantly attired. If there is an open bar, they are serving wine and cocktails. People are subdued. They behave themselves. Security is evident.

Now imagine the Corvette Caravan scenario. Here come Corvettes from all across the nation parking on the grass. Tents are set up with hot dog vendors and Corvette accessory companies hawking their wares. Someone will be installing Borla exhausts on the spot. Old men are walking around with bell-bottom T-shirts with their ample bellies poking out. Women in shorts are exhibiting their fat thighs and cellulite to advantage. People have lawn chairs decked out next to their cars with ample chips and dips and a cooler of Budwesier within easy reach for impromptu tailgate parties sans tailgates. Every few minutes someone yells out at the top of their voice, "Hey, Mabel! Get your fat *** over here and give me a hug!" The atmosphere is like the County Fair without the cows and the rodeo. Hopefully it doesn't rain. If you've been in Bowling Green when it rains you know what I mean. The wind makes the traffic lights go sideways and it takes about two seconds to get soaked to the skin. The sound system consists of a couple of electric guitar speakers hooked to wires trailing along the ground. The sound is harsh and you can barely hear or understand anything being said. Tadge and Harlan will be there in polo shirts and khakis. Rick Conti will be there giving away posters and refrigerator magnets. If there is a car to show off underneath one of the tents you won't be able to get close enough to see it.

I'm sure the Caravan will be an event where a good time will be had by all. But the place has no class. It is simply not suitable for an international reveal of a flagship car made by one of the largest corporations on Earth. The Tacoma Dome next door to the LeMay car museum would be a more appropriate place. At least it has the infrastructure to support it. I'm reminded of when the author Dorothy Parker was asked to use the word "horticulture" in a proper English sentence. Her reply: "You can lead a ***** to culture, but you can't make her think." If you still don't get it, there's not much anyone can do to help you understand. But if GM actually did this, the rest of the world would be aghast at such a stupid move.

mschuyler is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:46 PM
  #35  
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 6,688
Thanked 953 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Never mind. I made a simple statement that introing the C8 in Kentucky is not the level of bang GM wants and needs. If you think it makes sense to intro an entirely new car that you spent probably a billion dollars developing in Kentucky, then we should just agree to disagree.
Tell you what, I'll buy you a case of your favorite beer if the C8 is intro'd in Kenucky. In fact, I'll buy you 2.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.
jimmyb is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:05 PM
  #36  
Mayor111
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mayor111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,598
Thanked 507 Times in 310 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
It's not going to happen. We have ALREADY been over the reasons why
You talk like you actually KNOW - and you dont...nor do I...thats why I posted a "POSSIBLE" location. Every major car show has been passed over...and still no word on any upcoming show... Its February - you think they are going to pull together a reveal for New York? By end of March? Really? Caravan gives them till end of August... You dont think its possible, and I do...move on...

Mayor111 is online now  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:32 PM
  #37  
mschuyler
CF Senior Member
 
mschuyler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Bainbridge Island WA
Posts: 3,520
Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
You talk like you actually KNOW - and you dont...nor do I...thats why I posted a "POSSIBLE" location. Every major car show has been passed over...and still no word on any upcoming show... Its February - you think they are going to pull together a reveal for New York? By end of March? Really? Caravan gives them till end of August... You dont think its possible, and I do...move on...
Don't put that on me. I never said I knew. I never said by the end of March. I never said New York. Now you're just making stuff up. That's a straw man if I ever read one. What nonsense. Your story stands or falls on its own merits, and though you may not understand it, it just fell down. Nobody believes you. Dream on.

mschuyler is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 PM
  #38  
Jeffer
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Posts: 465
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
That's because it's pretty silly, hence people making fun of it. Only you are taking it seriously, then getting angry at people calling you out. Think about it. Do you believe GM would choose an esoteric, out-of-the-way, cultish venue of a few Corvette enthusiasts to showcase a new-generation revolutionary flagship car for the entire company? The C1 was big because it was the first one. The C2 was big because it was such a radical change. The C8 is the biggest radical change since then. It's not just incremental like the C6 to the C7. This is huge.

Do you think mainstream journalists would beat a path to Bowling Green's door? I mean, the NCM is a nice little museum, to be sure, and the "Caravan" is a Corvette tradition, though shared by very few Corvette owners and completely unknown by others, but it isn't exactly a world-wide venue like New York, or LA, or even Dubai because it can't host a reveal with any kind of style. The infrastructure just isn't there. It's neither big enough nor flashy enough to create a sufficient amount of buzz to make anyone take notice. The NCM isn't big enough. Where are they going to do it? At the local Drury Inn off the Interstate? Because here's the thing: GM is not marketing to a few Corvette enthusiasts. It's attempting to cast a much wider net to capture new people who are not currently fans of Corvette. This is not only "car people" but the country and world as a whole. It's not marketing Corvette to Corvette Forum; it's marketing GM to the world.

And if GM were to do as you suggest, every PR firm in the world would be rolling its collective eyes and saying, "GM has lost it. Rather than take the high road and making a statement, it's slumming in some no-account place inhabited by a few Corvette Crazy people. GM cannot be serious." From a marketing standpoint it would be the absolute worst thing GM could do. It would make GM a laughingstock. And that's why you are not being taken seriously.

Yes I think it might happen, the op is onto something

I suggested this months ago on another site,

how many 8000 corvettes WHAT A BACKGROUND, THOUSANDS OF GUYS AND GALS SWARMING AROUND THE PROTOTYPE S

WOW WHAT A CONCEPT, invite the car mags and away we go

Nice and thanks op and no thanks to the nay sayers being impolite this was a much better guess than most of you here, recognize it for what it was, a thought full suggestion, jeffer
Jeffer is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 PM
  #39  
mschuyler
CF Senior Member
 
mschuyler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Bainbridge Island WA
Posts: 3,520
Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
Nice and thanks op and no thanks to the nay sayers being impolite this was a much better guess than most of you here, recognize it for what it was, a thought full suggestion, jeffer
A thoughtful suggestion is when he calls everyone who disagrees with him a dick? Interesting concept. How thoughtful and polite.

Last edited by mschuyler; 02-06-2019 at 09:34 PM.
mschuyler is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM
  #40  
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 39,823
Thanked 1,294 Times in 935 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
That's because it's pretty silly, hence people making fun of it. Only you are taking it seriously, then getting angry at people calling you out. Think about it. Do you believe GM would choose an esoteric, out-of-the-way, cultish venue of a few Corvette enthusiasts to showcase a new-generation revolutionary flagship car for the entire company? The C1 was big because it was the first one. The C2 was big because it was such a radical change. The C8 is the biggest radical change since then. It's not just incremental like the C6 to the C7. This is huge.

Do you think mainstream journalists would beat a path to Bowling Green's door? I mean, the NCM is a nice little museum, to be sure, and the "Caravan" is a Corvette tradition, though shared by very few Corvette owners and completely unknown by others, but it isn't exactly a world-wide venue like New York, or LA, or even Dubai because it can't host a reveal with any kind of style. The infrastructure just isn't there. It's neither big enough nor flashy enough to create a sufficient amount of buzz to make anyone take notice. The NCM isn't big enough. Where are they going to do it? At the local Drury Inn off the Interstate? Because here's the thing: GM is not marketing to a few Corvette enthusiasts. It's attempting to cast a much wider net to capture new people who are not currently fans of Corvette. This is not only "car people" but the country and world as a whole. It's not marketing Corvette to Corvette Forum; it's marketing GM to the world.

And if GM were to do as you suggest, every PR firm in the world would be rolling its collective eyes and saying, "GM has lost it. Rather than take the high road and making a statement, it's slumming in some no-account place inhabited by a few Corvette Crazy people. GM cannot be serious." From a marketing standpoint it would be the absolute worst thing GM could do. It would make GM a laughingstock. And that's why you are not being taken seriously.
Remember when the floor of the museum gave way and a "few" Corvettes were damaged. It was news that was covered worldwide. Photos of that "mishap" were all over every news source, especially within the US, and that is where 90% of the Corvettes are sold. Maybe a few people in the Congo missed out on the news.

If it's newsworthy....it will be covered, whether it's in NYC or Bowling Green, Kentucky

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-06-2019 at 09:54 PM.
JoesC5 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JoesC5 For This Useful Post:
Laguna Fred (02-06-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could reveal be during National Corvette Caravan?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: