Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could reveal be during National Corvette Caravan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Remember when the floor of the museum gave way and a "few" Corvettes were damaged. It was news that was covered worldwide. Photos of that "mishap" were all over every news source, especially within the US, and that is where 90% of the Corvettes are sold. Maybe a few people in the Congo missed out on the news.If it's newsworthy....it will be covered, whether it's in NYC or Bowling Green, Kentucky
If it bleeds, it leads. Of course the cave-in was covered. It was the best PR the NCM ever had and a great example of turning lemons into lemonade. I applaud the NCM leadership. And you're right, if GM did, in fact, reveal the C8 at the NCM it would be covered. But that begs the question. From a PR standpoint now, consider the visuals. What would you rather have? How would you like the image of the C8 to be revealed to the world, the biggest most important reveal GM has done on half a century? On the one hand you've got elegance and flashing lights of a sophisticated reveal (even the Toyota Tundra had that.) and on the other you have guys and gals in flop flops spilling mustard on their slogan-emblazoned tshirts gawking at the new Corvette "revealed" inside a white tent in the parking lot. The very idea is repulsive. Perhaps GM actually will slum to that level, but all it will prove is that "American sophistication" remains an oxymoron. And I never said I KNOW what they will do. I'm just saying is that from a PR standpoint it is a disastrous idea and an epic fail.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
You talk like you actually KNOW - and you dont...nor do I...thats why I posted a "POSSIBLE" location. Every major car show has been passed over...and still no word on any upcoming show... Its February - you think they are going to pull together a reveal for New York? By end of March? Really? Caravan gives them till end of August... You dont think its possible, and I do...move on...
For clarity...NYIAS starts April 19th.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
If it bleeds, it leads. Of course the cave-in was covered. It was the best PR the NCM ever had and a great example of turning lemons into lemonade. I applaud the NCM leadership. And you're right, if GM did, in fact, reveal the C8 at the NCM it would be covered. But that begs the question. From a PR standpoint now, consider the visuals. What would you rather have? How would you like the image of the C8 to be revealed to the world, the biggest most important reveal GM has done on half a century? On the one hand you've got elegance and flashing lights of a sophisticated reveal (even the Toyota Tundra had that.) and on the other you have guys and gals in flop flops spilling mustard on their slogan-emblazoned tshirts gawking at the new Corvette "revealed" inside a white tent in the parking lot. The very idea is repulsive. Perhaps GM actually will slum to that level, but all it will prove is that "American sophistication" remains an oxymoron. And I never said I KNOW what they will do. I'm just saying is that from a PR standpoint it is a disastrous idea and an epic fail.
Count the number of times the photo of the cave in was published and count the number of times it was reported on virtually every TV station, etc worldwide.

Now count the number of photographers that were on hand, and the number of reporters that were on hand at the museum, the day the cave in happened.

One reporter and one photographer can end up with worldwide coverage(if the event is newsworthy) and I guarantee you that more than one photographer and one reporter will be on hand at the museum if GM decided that was where the reveal will be had. GM will send out press releases, with tons of photos, to all the main magazines, etc worldwide with an embargo in place, and it will be fully covered with worldwide coverage the very next day. GM knows how to get the maximum amount of coverage at the museum.

PS- there are tons of restaurants/motels in both Bowling Green and Nashville, for both the reporter and the photographer to eat/sleep at/in and get worldwide coverage.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
One reporter and one photographer can end up with worldwide coverage(if the event is newsworthy) and I guarantee you that more than one photographer and one reporter will be on hand at the museum if GM decided that was where the reveal will be had. GM will send out press releases, with tons of photos, to all the main magazines, etc worldwide with an embargo in place, and it will be fully covered with worldwide coverage the very next day. GM knows how to get the maximum amount of coverage at the museum.
Great! Fabulous! A zillion pictures of the Fairground reveal in a white tent with the flip flop crowd rubber necking to get a look. I'm sure the tshirts will be going like hotcakes! Just hope it doesn't rain. What a Class Act! I'm sure GM will be proud.

PS- there are tons of restaurants/motels in both Bowling Green and Nashville, for both the reporter and the photographer to eat/sleep at/in and get worldwide coverage.
All competing with the 40,000 people expected to descend on Bowling Green because of this "Caravan." Better get your reservations in right away because I'm thinking the Drury Inn may already be full.

Last edited by mschuyler; 02-06-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

This thread is entertaining, if nothing else.

Shockingly, DISASTERS get coverage....who knew?

Hey, I've got an idea:
Put the C8 under the dome in the NCM, and then have a structural failure of the dome, it collapses and crushes the ONLY C8...

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-06-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
This thread is entertaining, if nothing else.

Shockingly, DISASTERS get coverage....who knew?

Hey, I've got an idea:
Put the C8 under the dome in the NCM, and then have a structural failure of the dome, it collapses and crushes the ONLY C8...
A sinkhole is more appropriate for bowling green...
Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by Garret
again, how many more of these stupid threads do we need....

We should fix this and merge every "speculation" thread on where the C8 will be revealed into one huge thread!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:19 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
We should fix this and merge every "speculation" thread on where the C8 will be revealed into one huge thread!
Steven, my boy, THAT is a capital idea!!!!!!
Steve Garrett (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by pietro c7

A sinkhole is more appropriate for bowling green...
True. As long as we get the ONLY C8 smashed to bits, roof cave in, sink hole, whatever, GM will get coverage. You know, Jim Mero always said it wasn't HIM that crashed that early, un-camo'd C7 way back when...maybe we could get THE guy that did it and film him smacking an Armco barrier at the Nürburgring.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

No, not a big enough stage. I'd bet even money against it, if you're looking for a wager.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Call the thread; C8, RUMOR CONTROL. -"Where only the rumors change - not the posters."

​​​​​​​.
Steve Garrett (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:33 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

A thoughtful suggestion is when he calls everyone who disagrees with him a dick? Interesting concept. How thoughtful and polite.
No offence but you have responded to posts about the C8 that held alot less merit than my guess...with zero knowledge or clue...what makes your opinion or guess any more accurate than mine or someone else's? Your response about why it cant be at the Caravan was so cocky as if you work for GM...you sounded foolish and I'm putting that on YOU. I dont care if you disagree with me, or suggest other venues...that's called a conversation... Sure it could be NY...maybe the Caravan...maybe not...anything is POSSIBLE...

Just move on to another post...your wasting our time here...
Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
^
Actually, the reveal could well increase C7 sales because some will find the ME polarizing. When the C7 was introduced, last year C6 sales ticked up because many found the C7 design polarizing.
Absolutely, and an ME car will most likely be even more polarizing. But also don't forget that when the next generation is announced, dealers start fighting for allocations, thus they are more willing to take a bigger loss on the current cars. Folks that might have been in the used Corvette market then seize that opportunity to buy a new one.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

LMAO . . . I gotta hand it to you. You paint very vivid word pictures. I can just see that scene now.

Quick Reply: Could reveal be during National Corvette Caravan?