Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 the last Corvette with and ICE drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
So no, "range anxiety" is not in my head.
AVERAGE. The AVERAGE commute is WAY LESS than 50 miles one way. A LONG (stretched, according to the government) commute is considered 50 miles. You are an "outlier," a person who has a way greater than AVERAGE commute, so we're not talking about YOU here. It's not about YOU. We're talking about the AVERAGE commute, which is average for tens of millions of people. And for THESE PEOPLE, who are the majority BY FAR, range anxiety is definitely "in the head." And for most of these people, they can commute for a week without a recharge, and when they recharge they can do it in their garage over night. YES I KNOW some people don't have a garage. And if I don't point this out someone will breathlessly add that "some people don't have a garage!" But the market doesn't care whether you have a garage or whether your commute is unusual or even whether you balk at paying more than $25K for a car. EV sales are growing, and as more models are offered they will grow some more. And as GM, and VW, and BMW, and Volvo all switch to EV vehicles and dump their ICE vehicles then, just maybe, you will figure out that they ar the future and your ICE vehicle, including your Corvette, will be relegated to the trash bin of history.

The C9 will be an EV. Fight against this all you want, but when it happens in a few years, remember that you heard it here first.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Granted I don’t live up north and the car is garaged, but we have been seeing single digit temps. The battery in the Model 3 has seen only a slight dip in range on those days. Some on Tesla forums says this has been overstated by the media.... like everything else these days.
That's why I like controlled tests like the one AAA did.

"The range of electric vehicles can be greatly reduced, by up to 57% , depending on the temperature outside, auto club AAA says.

The AAA Automotive Research Center in Southern California found that the average range of an electric car dropped 57% in very cold weather – at 20 degrees Fahrenheit – and by 33% in extreme heat, a temperature of 95 degrees."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...icles/6622979/

Last edited by Michael A; 02-11-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:09 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Since EVs are only about 1% of total car sales worldwide, I find it hard to believe that the resultant small change in demand would cause much of a drop in oil prices. The price elasticity curve would have to go to the moon.
The increasingly better fuel economy of ICE cars also helps reduce demand for oil.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

That's why I like controlled tests like the one AAA did.

"The range of electric vehicles can be greatly reduced, by up to 57% , depending on the temperature outside, auto club AAA says.

The AAA Automotive Research Center in Southern California found that the average range of an electric car dropped 57% in very cold weather – at 20 degrees Fahrenheit – and by 33% in extreme heat, a temperature of 95 degrees."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...icles/6622979/
vs my real world experience. This tells me experience varies.

I would also also like to point out, if your a Tesla owner with a garage you can charge every night if needed. This keeps the battery hot and the range point moot.

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 02-11-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

The C9 will be an EV. Fight against this all you want, but when it happens in a few years, remember that you heard it here first.[/QUOTE]

No one has to fight against anything. The marketplace will prove all of you EV believers wrong. It will be another 50 years if then before ICE are replaced en mass. If our stupid government hadn't been pushing this it wouldn't have gotten this far. Battery power is a niche when it comes to large power needs.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
vs my real world experience. This tells me experience varies.

I would also also like to point out, if your a Tesla owner with a garage you can charge every night if needed. This keeps the battery hot and the range point moot.
How far are you driving when it is cold out? Are you even turning on the heater?

Last edited by Michael A; 02-12-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:20 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually ICE reciprocating engines have the lowest efficiency (which is somewhere around 25 to 27%). Gas turbines used to produce electricity are at least 15% more efficient and when used in a combined cycle where the waste heat from their exhaust is used to produce steam to run a steam turbine the power plant's efficiency is some where between 50% and 60%.

As for fuel prices we are just one Political Oh **** or Tropical Hurricane from huge disruptions in oil supplies and the resultant increases in oil prices that will drive the price of a gallon of gas to well over $6 in short order. Given the current state of World Affairs the Oh **** is likely to disrupt things far more than a Tropical Hurricane will.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I think that turbines like what Jag cx75 did is what I'd like to see. by capturing some of the wasted heat energy, and keeping the batteries and maybe a capacitor array light, we can have a corvette that makes what you drive today seem like the brakes are stuck

zero to jail in 2 sec flat and range that doesn't have extended stays as part of the program Turbines have had many challenges on automotive applications but those little blandon micro turbines are pretty sexy and becoming more affordable as more UPS companies use them for data center power. Becoming more popular on high end sail boats too as they humm along and run on jp4 which is still pretty cheap

plug in when you can, fire up when you can't
Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

How far are you driving when it is cold out? Are you even turning on the heater?
The car went 3 days before charging (just for fun) during the most recent cold snap. I would say 250 ish miles and it still had 10-15 % left. And yes, we use the heater and heated seats. We even pre heat the car.

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 02-12-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:49 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I heard from a guy at the barbershop who's neighbor knew a guy from grade school that eats lunch with a guy who works unplugging toilets at a undisclosed GM plant. He said that C9 will definitely be all electric and that's why the delay on the ME car.
As the car moves up scale it reason to be an ICE vehicle, just look at the Tesla sports car, oh wait they aren't many around for some crazy reason.

Quick Reply: C8 the last Corvette with and ICE drivetrain?