Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the secrecy with the C8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 AM
17C7
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My General feeling is they don't want people to see the finished car early because by the time they finally release it people will be so used to seeing it the car will no longer seem new.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

GM needs to quit dicking around

show everybody the car and say its coming out in say 6 months

how come the japenese car makers can go from concept -to-production in 1-2 years,yet GM TAKES 5+years?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
how come the japenese car makers can go from concept -to-production in 1-2 years,yet GM TAKES 5+years?
Yeah, like the new NSX. Oh, wait, that took like 5 years, and that was just for the final iteration.

Or the new Toyota Supra. Oh, wait . . . that took even longer.

I'd really like to know what in the world you're talking about, because I can't think of any car that did a complete re-design (not just an upgrade/refresh based on an existing platform) in 1-2 years. Hopefully, this was just some sarcasm that I missed.

Last edited by Dethsupp0rt; 02-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dethsupp0rt:
alienranch (02-17-2019), DWS44 (02-10-2019), Foosh (02-10-2019), RapidC84B (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
This is right. The ONLY thing we know for certain, is that someone is driving mules of what appears to be a mid engine car. We can deduce from these images that it is a GM vehicle, as the caravan with them are GM vehicles. We can deduce that it may be a Corvette because the shape that we see has the basic heritage styling, and a few shots of people around the car wearing shirts with a Corvette logo on it. Other than this, all we have are few people stating that they are close enough to insiders that are 'spilling the beans' to them, which as far as I'm concerned can be taken with a grain of salt. At this point, GM could still be 'playing around with the idea'.

When GM decides A: That they are actually going to do this, and B: Have a production ready product and plan to show, then, and only then, will they shout the "Great News" from every hilltop and be anxious to tell us all every little thing about it.
You can believe it or not, but it is fact that GM has invited a lot of its high-profile business partners to see the uncovered car and spoken generally to at least some of them about target pricing. Some of these individuals have confirmed they have seen the car, liked it a lot, but understandably they won't discuss details.

We're way beyond GM "playing around with the idea." It's coming, although when is still uncertain. I do agree we won't see an announcement or reveal until GM is relatively certain about production plans and availability. I also think that's very smart, particularly in light of the NSX and Supra debacles.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:12 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Moving to a mid engine design is a big move for GM & the Corvette team. This is a drastic departure compared to when they developed the C5,C6 to C7.
Go read "ALL CORVETTES ARE RED" by James Schefter. The C5 WAS a drastic departure for GM, and they closed the Bowling Green factory for many months to do the changeover.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 02:46 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

This is right. The ONLY thing we know for certain, is that someone is driving mules of what appears to be a mid engine car...At this point, GM could still be 'playing around with the idea'.

When GM decides A: That they are actually going to do this, and B: Have a production ready product and plan to show, then, and only then, will they shout the "Great News" from every hilltop and be anxious to tell us all every little thing about it.
Originally Posted by Foosh
You can believe it or not, but it is fact that GM has invited a lot of its high-profile business partners to see the uncovered car and spoken generally to at least some of them about target pricing. Some of these individuals have confirmed they have seen the car, liked it a lot, but understandably they won't discuss details.

We're way beyond GM "playing around with the idea." It's coming, although when is still uncertain. I do agree we won't see an announcement or reveal until GM is relatively certain about production plans and availability. I also think that's very smart, particularly in light of the NSX and Supra debacles.
Don't get me wrong, I *believe* the C8 is coming, and that it'll be a rear mid-engined car. But I have to chuckle when us forum-ites rumor about reveal dates, prices, hybrid/not hybrid, etc. based on a car that we've seen only in mule form. OTOH, it's been on track and on the street, getting all kinds of weather experience, so confidence is high that SOMETHING is coming. What that is, only time will tell.

Have a good one,
Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteDrmr:
Foosh (02-10-2019), jefnvk (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
How do you know GM is even going to make the ME C8? It's all assumption at this point.

Have a good one,
Mike
Exactly. There is AT LEAST equal chance the midengine car is not a corvette as it is. It stands probably MORE likely to be a unique halo car like the Ford GT. The business case makes more sense, and it allows gm to show off without jeopardizing a cash cow product.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Go read "ALL CORVETTES ARE RED" by James Schefter. The C5 WAS a drastic departure for GM, and they closed the Bowling Green factory for many months to do the changeover.
Have a copy it was a good read. I am not sure I would go that far since it still was a front engine platform. The C3 to C4 was significant departure from the previous model. The leadership at GM and internal politics and the high cost to build the C4 corvette is what almost did it in. GM is in much better hands today then back then. Heck C7 was almost on the chopping block after the bankruptcy until they realize it was a profitable automobile for GM with historical value. I only mentioned the Porsche boxster since it's a ME design.

Last edited by fasttoys; 02-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Exactly. There is AT LEAST equal chance the midengine car is not a corvette as it is. It stands probably MORE likely to be a unique halo car like the Ford GT. The business case makes more sense, and it allows gm to show off without jeopardizing a cash cow product.
Watch the start up screen on the dash that was released a few days ago.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598834689 Its the new C8 and then says Corvette by Chevrolet. I think that Should help with all the speculation on it not being a Chevy of standalone brand.

Last edited by fasttoys; 02-10-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Don't get me wrong, I *believe* the C8 is coming, and that it'll be a rear mid-engined car. But I have to chuckle when us forum-ites rumor about reveal dates, prices, hybrid/not hybrid, etc. based on a car that we've seen only in mule form. OTOH, it's been on track and on the street, getting all kinds of weather experience, so confidence is high that SOMETHING is coming. What that is, only time will tell.

Have a good one,
Mike
I agree that it's most likely coming. Obviously, they are more than 'just playing around' with the concept. However, as far keeping it under wraps, in times like these, once they even hint at it to the general public, they're all in at that point, and perhaps GM isn't ready to be 'all in' yet. Maybe some the arguments going on in this forum, like having two cars, price points, drive train, spoiler height, etc are still being argued around the big oak table in Detroit.

But more likely, it's that the Corvette going mid engine is monumental and it has to be right and ready.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Secrecy builds excitement. Unless it's sustained too long. Then the people will discover they're being manipulated for whatever reason. Then they drop interest quickly, and the "secret" car doesn't regain that interest.

Now that auto makers have to deal with the internet, the rules have changed regarding "getting the secret out." Much to the chagrin of some auto makers.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The Osborne Effect is the reason: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Last edited by direct007; 02-11-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Because they do this with all new generations of the car. It's a special time and the anticipations is half the fun.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Watch the start up screen on the dash that was released a few days ago.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598834689 Its the new C8 and then says Corvette by Chevrolet. I think that Should help with all the speculation on it not being a Chevy of standalone brand.
That doesnt mean it's for the midengine car. Nor does it mean it's more than a clever hoax. It's a short video using existing elements. It could be something for a c7 interior refresh. It could be for a front engine C8 coming in several years. It's totally circumstantial and totally unverified. It's just as likely a fan made hoax as it is legit.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM
dh88
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
SImple reasoning....to be able sell whats actually available in the showrooms now.

thats why GM is in the business.
Car's sitting in a showroom are already sold, so thats far from the reason. The cars not ready is the only reason.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

That doesnt mean it's for the midengine car. Nor does it mean it's more than a clever hoax. It's a short video using existing elements. It could be something for a c7 interior refresh. It could be for a front engine C8 coming in several years. It's totally circumstantial and totally unverified. It's just as likely a fan made hoax as it is legit.
The emblem matches the C8 interior leaked photos. The emblem is easy to see on the airbag/horn cover. Also the leaked FOB has the same emblem and shows a frunk and trunk. Not sure why some are clinging to straws here.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:34 PM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

It was pulled from the firmware out of one of the new MyLink GM trucks by a 3rd party.
Panasonic, LG, and Bosch manufacture the multimedia units. Lots of people have access to this.

Ford's Sync 3 firmware has boot animations for the F-150, Raptor, Fusion, and even the GT built into every multimedia unit, so they don't need separate hardware models.
It doesn't confirm a mid-engine car directly. However, it is no hoax.

Get notified of new replies

To Why all the secrecy with the C8?

Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

This is right. The ONLY thing we know for certain, is that someone is driving mules of what appears to be a mid engine car. We can deduce from these images that it is a GM vehicle, as the caravan with them are GM vehicles. We can deduce that it may be a Corvette because the shape that we see has the basic heritage styling, and a few shots of people around the car wearing shirts with a Corvette logo on it. Other than this, all we have are few people stating that they are close enough to insiders that are 'spilling the beans' to them, which as far as I'm concerned can be taken with a grain of salt. At this point, GM could still be 'playing around with the idea'.

Ya. We haven't seen C8 emblems, logos, updated "CORVETTE" script, interior shots with said logos in place, or anything of the sort. It's still in the early "figment of the imagination" stages just "playing around with the idea". Dealers confirming they have seen pictures of the car and being told it's coming. Leakers like the original ZERV, myself and a couple others. Nobody really "knows" anything.

Last edited by C7pimp; 02-11-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

Maybe im selfish but I am kinda enjoying that the c8 is taking a long time to debut lol. This way i can really enjoy the c7 having the latest just a tad longer
The following 2 users liked this post by AceG:
DWS44 (02-12-2019), Foosh (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Well said, I'm not in a rush.

Quick Reply: Why all the secrecy with the C8?