Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the lack of cargo space hurt the ME Corvette’s sales?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I have faith there will be space, but perhaps not for golf clubs. But this is a good thing because the younger crowd doesn't play golf. IF GM is, indeed, trying to ditch the Baby Boomers, not having space for golf clubs won't hurt them. As a Boomer myself, I couldn't care less if it has room for golf clubs. An AR-15 has a collapsible stock, so no problem!
The majority of Corvette buyers are not the younger crowd. I am not confident that if the Mid Engine Corvette becomes the new C8, it will be as big of a seller among those who ary the majority of Corvette buyers. Sales will no longer be in the 35 K range in number of sales but will drop drastically.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:47 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwave
The majority of Corvette buyers are not the younger crowd. I am not confident that if the Mid Engine Corvette becomes the new C8, it will be as big of a seller among those who ary the majority of Corvette buyers. Sales will no longer be in the 35 K range in number of sales but will drop drastically.
OMG, if GM keeps the price in line the C8 will be an exceptionally strong offering. You honestly think that a mid engine, 500(+) HP C8 will not be a kick *** seller. Get a grip, this car will absolutely bitch slap any and all of the import competitors that are even remotely close in price, ***, German, or from the Moon, forget about it.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by shockwave
Speak for yourself, doubt you are in the majority. It’s gonna be epic!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:17 AM
Riderover50
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont store luggage in my C7 so why would it hurt?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:25 AM
Riderover50
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Some comments:

1. My wife's 2002 (ME) Boxster had enough room for 2 weeks at the beach, including a telescope.

2. I sold my pick-up, so I just loaded 1 1/2 sheets of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood cut into 12"x40" pieces for a shelving project. Fit into my C7 no problem... (the lumber guy didn't flick an eye)

3. I believe if the average Corvette owner/golfer left their driver and putter at home they would cut 3 stroke of their handicap.

just remember...
What I remember is the reason I bought my 2015 GMC Sierra !! Of interest, to the nay sayers, automobile marketing dept’s use a very detailed database labeled “Statistics”! which will include the details of past corvette owners who used the luggage compartment for their golfing needs!

Last edited by Riderover50; 02-17-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Riderover50
What I remember is the reason I bought my 2015 GMC Sierra !! Of interest, to the nay sayers, automobile marketing dept’s use a very detailed database labeled “Statistics”! which will include the details of past corvette owners who used the luggage compartment for their golfing needs!
Yes, and "they" sometimes get it wrong. Not saying GM will, just saying people and a "detailed database" can still get it wrong.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Speak for yourself, doubt you are in the majority. It’s gonna be epic!
Of course its going to be epic but the haters here along with the import humping auto press are addressing the ME C8 similar to the way MSNBC treats our President. One can only imagine the avalanche of praise and hype that the car mags and import lovers would provide if Porsche were changing from its current **** eyed junk in the trunk location to a mid engine format. It would be considered an engineering master piece in a 911 but a failure in a C8 before the first unit is sold. Stupid.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

“Can’t haul golf clubs... guess I won’t buy a C8.”

Yeah right.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:03 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by ~Josh
“Can’t haul golf clubs... guess I won’t buy a C8.”

Yeah right.
Golf clubs, yuk. The only thing more boring than golf is listening to people who play talk about it.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes, and "they" sometimes get it wrong. Not saying GM will, just saying people and a "detailed database" can still get it wrong.
For example, when GM released the 1997 Corvette, they used their "database" to project the customers want of the painted targa top and the transparent targa top.

Based on the C4's 'statistics', 70% of the buyers purchased the transparent top and 30% ordered the painted targa top, so GM had their suppliers to tool up for 70% transparent and 30% painted tops.

Well...guess what? Right off the bat the C5's purchasers wanted 70% painted and 30% transparent and GM had to put the painted top on long term constraint until the supplier of the painted top could tool up to produce all those needed painted tops.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by punky
Golf clubs, yuk. The only thing more boring than golf is listening to people who play talk about it.
I don't play golf so I don't give a damn if the C8 can carry two golf bags.

BUT, when I hear that the Corvette can carry two golf bags, then I know that it will carry enough luggage, etc for a two week road trip that I do use my Corvette for, or carry other bulky items that won't fit in a 4.4 cu ft space.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JoesC5
For example, when GM released the 1997 Corvette, they used their "database" to project the customers want of the painted targa top and the transparent targa top.

Based on the C4's 'statistics', 70% of the buyers purchased the transparent top and 30% ordered the painted targa top, so GM had their suppliers to tool up for 70% transparent and 30% painted tops.

Well...guess what? Right off the bat the C5's purchasers wanted 70% painted and 30% transparent and GM had to put the painted top on long term constraint until the supplier of the painted top could tool up to produce all those needed painted tops.
I do think the "space" issue (and more accurately, the USABLE space issue) is probably taken care of since it would be shortsighted to do anything less. But it's not just a GM thing to get the stats and projections wrong even WITH a "detailed database."

Nissan/Infiniti gingerly drove into the market for new-design sedans back in the early 2000s ('03) with their 4-door sedan. It sold very well, much better than prior models. Less than a year later, being careful to get the brand and model intro'd to the public, they brought out their G35 coupe, a sport/luxo model.

It sold very well in both AT and MT models. So well, that two months into releasing it, the senior management had to 'stop the line' building 4-door sedans completely---to build coupes with both transmissions.

The "original studies" had shown about 9K-10K first-year sales of coupes. When the model year ended, they'd sold 30K coupes. WAY off in predictions and they did study it hard after lukewarm sales of prior gen sedans and bland coupes for a decade or more.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-20-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
I do think the "space" issue (and more accurately, the USABLE space issue) is probably taken care of since it would be shortsighted to do anything less. But it's not just a GM thing to get the stats and projections wrong even WITH a "detailed database."

Nissan/Infiniti gingerly drove into the market for new-design sedans back in the early 2000s ('03) with their 4-door sedan. It sold very well, much better than prior models. Less than a year later, being careful to get the brand and model intro'd to the public, they brought out their G35 coupe, a sport/luxo model.

It sold very well in both AT and MT models. So well, that two months into releasing it, the senior management had to 'stop the line' building 4-door sedans completely---to build coupes with both transmissions.

The "original studies" had shown about 9K-10K first-year sales of coupes. When the model year ended, they'd sold 30K coupes. WAY off in predictions and they did study it hard after lukewarm sales of prior gen sedans and bland coupes for a decade or more.
When GM revealed the Corvette at the 1953 New York auto show, they asked how many would be interested in buying a new Corvette. 30,000 responded with a yes. The 1953 My wasn't set up to really produce many Corvettes(and they had problems with selling the 300 built for 1953) but the 1954 sales was a little better. 1955 was a disaster for the Corvette as everyone wanted the 55 T-Bird.

The front stabilizer bar was designed with an offset in the middle to clear the harmonic balancer of the straight 6 engine. GM originally purchased enough bars for the intended production of the Corvette. Well, it took 7 years to use up that original purchase of stabilizer bars. The 1960 MY had the first use of the new stabilizer designed for the shorter V8, as it didn't have the offset. 30,404 Corvettes were built through 1959. Same as the number of people back in 1953 that said they would buy a Corvette.

So much for "market" research as GM didn't think it would take 7 years to reach the 30,000 production.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 PM
General_TSO
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 50 Posts

Honestly, being able to fit two sets of clubs in my car along with a couple of small bags for a weekend is a big deal to me. I could fit two sets in my 2004 Viper at the same time, but nothing additional. Partially the reason I sold it and got into a C6. That and I loved my C5Z's practicality. I'd love for the C8 to be able to retain space for me and my wife to do a golf weekend up north.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by General_TSO
Honestly, being able to fit two sets of clubs in my car along with a couple of small bags for a weekend is a big deal to me. I could fit two sets in my 2004 Viper at the same time, but nothing additional. Partially the reason I sold it and got into a C6. That and I loved my C5Z's practicality. I'd love for the C8 to be able to retain space for me and my wife to do a golf weekend up north.
highly unlikely. I hope you have another car.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Perhaps for the interest in decorum we convert the word GOLF BAGS to cubic feet! 1 golf bag is 3 cubic feet (my guess) or for the show-car crowd 'folding chairs'! lol
It also pertains to length of bags and WIDTH of luggage compartment.
So length/ width =36" to 42"

My 82 CE is the king of the C-3's with just tons of room and super easy access.

unkahal
Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Here is the order:

1) If I cannot carry it walking, take the Harley.
2) If it will not fit in the Harley, take the Vette.
3) If it will not fit in Vette, take Silverado.
4) If it will not fit in Silverado, hook up enclosed trailer.
5) If it will not fit in trailer, buy another house where you are going and put an extra one(s) there.

This has worked for years, I hope the C8 does not screw it up.
VH

Quick Reply: Will the lack of cargo space hurt the ME Corvette’s sales?