Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the lack of cargo space hurt the ME Corvette’s sales?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

My daughters full size cello fits in my C7 very easily. I could care less if the C8 is a ME. If the C8 has as much over the C6 as the C7 does, I’m in all the way. I don’t get the ME thing, is That German sports car company behind this getting everyone all jacked out of shape with the must have a ME. To stab the Corvette in the back somehow. I like the motor up front and the transaxle in the back for fantastic balance, which has everything easier to get at.
The following 2 users liked this post by Idaho Mark:
ATC (02-13-2019), BKorsaire (02-14-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Most sports car buyers dont put cellos in their sports cars..

i have no idea how big a cello is or if it will fit in a c8. If it doesnt and your daughters cello has to fit....then its best to stay with vehicles that can fit a cello.

if i remember correctly the c3 had no trunk opening at all for many year and they sold them for years and years in great numbers.

Im sure the c8 will be quite accomodatimg. Lets wait and see what the offical release states with regards to storage space and then consumers can decide.

im in as I dont really care about storage space. There are quite a few who enjoy the large hatchback of the oresent corvette but its not a big deal.

i just need to fit a gym bag and my handicapped kids backpack in and Im good...
The following users liked this post:
elegant (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I know a couple who have seen one. One world for Chevrolet at the plant.

The other is a dealer.

The Chevrolet employee said TWO sets of clubs will fit.

Thw dealer said 1 set no way a second set will fit.

It will have some storage. How much? That's the question.

The answer is of course. If it doesnt have adequate storage it will crush 2nd 3rd year sales and beyond after initial hype wears thin.
The above hits a lot of the topics. While we don't really know, I'd say it's as much about "space" as the "usability" of that space. One can make a lot of 3'x3" boxes that add up to big numbers.

My take is, I doubt if GM "space" engineers forgot to make enough room. And, wadr it's been said the C7 is a bit lacking in people-space for some---they may be re-thinking that design, too. We'll know for certain sometime soon?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:52 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Most sports car buyers dont put cellos in their sports cars..

i have no idea how big a cello is or if it will fit in a c8. If it doesnt and your daughters cello has to fit....then its best to stay with vehicles that can fit a cello.

if i remember correctly the c3 had no trunk opening at all for many year and they sold them for years and years in great numbers.

Im sure the c8 will be quite accomodatimg. Lets wait and see what the offical release states with regards to storage space and then consumers can decide.

im in as I dont really care about storage space. There are quite a few who enjoy the large hatchback of the oresent corvette but its not a big deal.

i just need to fit a gym bag and my handicapped kids backpack in and Im good...
You're in the minority friend.

And remember back when the C3 was around for many years the mustang was junk and the Camaro/firebirds not much better. What did that leave? Nobody.....wanted a Porsche they were too expensive and scary to domestic owners. So the c3 was the ONLY move.

That isn't the case anymore... with all the options out there including the last 4 gens of Corvette that allow you to have your cake and.... you know

Hard to get people to give up comforts.. very hard. Me included

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 02-13-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom73
Here is my theory, the red is the engine and transaxle. The blue is the potential storage space, less any requirements for a crumple zone.

The engine/transaxle should be a little more up and back. Thus the trunk will probably be smaller than you illustrate (A). But should be almost the entire width of the ME. For heat removal, the transverse mounted mufflers look to be low behind the transaxle (B) where there is an open area between the exhaust outboard tips. At least that’s how I see it. All speculation, of course.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Having owned Corvettes from C1-C7 I am definitely spoiled with the luggage space on C5's and newer. I'm not concerned about the "2 sets of golf clubs" but more for standard duffles, small suitcases, etc. Most ME are severely lacking in this area-hopefully Corvette found a way to improve on this. I use mine for road trips in the Summer and having at least a reasonable amount of available space would be important. Having said that, I'm also concerned about the interior room as my C7 is definitely tighter than the C5/C6 and any further reductions in this area would make a C8 purchase questionable.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't golf. But it would be nice if I could get 1 large bag of luggage for me and wifey. My C6 Z06 can hold it nicely.

Last edited by Ernest; 02-13-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Azferrari
Will the lack of cargo space hurt the ME Corvette’s sales?”

No golf clubs, small luggage, etc.

NAH801 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Just for the record, the cello fits and I didn’t buy the car for that. I play the Upright Bass or Double Bass and have a vehicle for that. As far as the C3 goes, the second year one could put the top panels behind the seat. I could put a bicycle back there with the wheels stacked on top of the frame to go to bike races. The C3 had room back there one just had to get around the seats to use it. Because a sports car has some room to carry stuff, is a great additional value to the car’s uses. Cramped up expensive sports cars are out there ready to be had.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Cello, golf clubs, racing suit and helmet... whatever. ��

Any version of today’s Corvette needs to have room for at least two softsided travel bags for a weekend road trip, or two folding chairs and a small cooler for the local car show or club outing. These are the basic necessities that the “average” Corvette owner will be toting around. Beyond that the car may be expected to carry a bag of groceries or a case of wine or beer in a pinch. The C1 had a fair size trunk, the C2 and early C3 literally nothing, then came the hatchbacks and eventually the roadsters with trunks that would hold golf clubs.

I can see some owners wanting to take the car to the golf course, or on a longer road trip. There will always be someone who feels they need to haul something in “their” Corvette. But a cello? ��. That’s why my wife just bought a new Caddy XT5.

Enjoy the car however you see fit, and haul whatever you can squeeze into it. ��
Old 02-13-2019, 09:19 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

You guys always crack me up with "the golf club" analogy.

I like corvettes and I golf. Shoot me.

Could make the "track argument" as being much worse. What's the % of people who actually track the car? I have no idea but has to be single digits?

Also, if you're actually tracking a car why not build a track car for less?

Personally, I couldn't care less what someone buys the car for or does with it, their money.

Not holding two sets of clubs won't stop me from buying, but I hope there is a way to utilize trunk/frunk to do this.

Also, my wife is disabled and while we don't travel much, when we do I need some room for her things we need.

Love my C5 vert 6 speed.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Of course where there is a will there is a way...

Knock yourself out trying.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 AM
AT T 2D
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 38 Posts

I am probably not in the majority, but a decent amount of storage space does matter to me. I have had 2 C4, a C5 vert, C6 vert, and C7 vert. The C7 vert trunk is noticeably smaller and the opening is smaller than the C6 and it has had to stay home on some of those fun weekend trips when we need to make a shopping run for a few things. We'll just have to wait and see what they have done with the C8.
General_TSO (02-20-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Less cargo space means my wife can't buy as much crap on our trips. I consider it a win. Seriously though I expect there will be storage space (as illustrated by a few posters) behind the engine area just like the Porsche Cayman. It is reasonable to believe a basic carry bag could fit back there. That said, less and less folks are playing golf and if you and your S/O are going to take a golfing vacation, just ship the clubs or get a different car.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The very premise of the thread....”will the lack of cargo space......”

we have no official information on the c8 much less its ability carry or not carry whatever existing corvette owners tote around.

lets use common sense and wait for the official specs on the next generation corvette before we determine it actually has “a lack of cargo space”

good luck guys and enjoy your oresent rides
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Doesn't matter to me. As long as there is room for day trip/cruising supplies (basically a small bag) I am good to go.

What will sell me on the C8 is:

1) looks - it has to be a head turner and look significantly more intense than my GS.

2) Performance - I don't think we have to worry about that

3) Price - it has to keep the Corvette tradition of being "affordable". I'm an Engineer not a CEO.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
47) storage space
The following 2 users liked this post by oregonsharkman:
NAH801 (02-14-2019), RapidC84B (02-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Will the lack of cargo space hurt the ME Corvette’s sales?

Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Cargo space isn't a deal breaker for me. I've taken long trips in a C2 convertible with the wife (for 3 weeks) and had no issues with cargo space. Granted, a couple of our stays were with family so we used their washer and drier, but if not, we would have just hit a laundry and done the same. And I don't play golf. Trips to the track don't require a HUGE amount of stuff for me, and if they do, I'll just load into the car hauler anyway.

Interior room would be a nice thing to have more of. I find the passenger side a bit snug (less so on the driver's) and especially the footwell.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The very premise of the thread....”will the lack of cargo space......”

we have no official information on the c8 much less its ability carry or not carry whatever existing corvette owners tote around.

lets use common sense and wait for the official specs on the next generation corvette before we determine it actually has “a lack of cargo space”

good luck guys and enjoy your oresent rides
you can make this argument about this entire section. 🙄
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I suspect GM will find a way to make this Corvette a mid engine car with more cargo space than any other mid engine. It will still be less than what we are accustomed to.

That's fine with me. I will pack .lighter. It's appearance and performance are what really matters IMO.
jefnvk (02-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Will the lack of cargo space hurt the ME Corvette’s sales?