Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the C8 shed leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:24 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 837 Posts

I love leaf springs. The clever suspension design is part of what makes C5-C7 interesting.

The jumping side to side etc is another matter entirely poor shocks + runflats etc. People blame the poor leaf, which is actually fully awesome.

Wonder if I can retrofit a C8 with a leaf spring haha

Though I will never own a C8 if it doesn't have a manual

Last edited by acroy; 02-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerulez
Aside from the front mid-engine RWD design not being able to put power down adequately I think another major achilles heel for Corvette has been the leaf spring suspension system that the cars use. Quite frankly it just introduces too much lateral movement when going over bumps, it makes Corvette difficult to drive at speed on bumpy roads. The C7's are really well dampened (more so than my old C5 daily) but even then, I still notice more lateral movement than I should going over rougher roads. The irony to me is that I've driven cars that have lesser raw cornering grip than a C7, but I can take them into turns faster because the suspension is more confidence inspiring.

Any thoughts on whether the leafsprings will be kept going into C8?
Maybe the lateral movement isn't due to the springs but due to how your car is set up. Take your car to an alignment shop and have the rear toe adjusted. Too much positive toe (toe in) in the rear will cause lateral movement on bumpy roads. Had a C6Z with a lot of rear toe in for track stability. Couldn't drive it down the bumpy street I lived on due to back end jumping back and forth but once the toe was corrected to just a shade of toe in the movement stopped and the car could be driven easily over the bumps.

As for the leaf springs they seem to work very well on the Corvette producing one of the best handling cars available and that is proven by how many amateur drivers can drive them fast on track and actually pass and run away from the cars mentioned in the thread. My C7Z handles like a dream.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Foosh (02-18-2019), Mikec7z (03-31-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-92
Race teams utilize coil-over springs for adjust-ability purposes. Has nothing to do with the merrits for or against leaf springs.

I don't get the hate on leaf springs. just like the fanboi hate on pushrods. The same people going, "OMG pushrods, that's old technology, get w the 21st century, OHC baby". Are the same ones that drool over pushrods where there used in suspension geometry. Just like pushrods, leafsprings are lightweight, compact and serve their purposes well.
The lack of a real aftermarket of different rate springs is a real valid point, probably because only Corvette (to my knowledge) uses the system. I remember years ago putting a system on a C3 car that had a bracket system where you could change the pivot point (for lack of a better term) and that would change the spring rate. The further out on each side, the stiffer the spring rate, the further in, the softer. Worked very well, surprised I never saw more systems like it.

The one thing I do like about DOHC cam engines is revving the hell out of them, something hard to do with a cam-in-block and pushrod/rocker design at a reasonable cost with longevity in mind.

Originally Posted by acroy
I love leaf springs. The clever suspension design is part of what makes C5-C7 interesting.
Poor C4... the first to have it front and rear.....
Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn

Fantastic-handling car.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:01 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
Well, Pratt and Miller use a factory frame for the C7-R but they don’t use a leaf spring, or any other factory chassis components. Hmm... I wonder if they are new to high performance sports cars.
It is almost as if even though race cars and street cars look similar, their suspension needs to be vastly different for two vastly different uses or something....
Old 02-18-2019, 04:15 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

sure sure, but other things make it un-interesting... to me.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

And the only one that doesn't axle hop on launch... (again, entirely different setup and arguably better depending on what your intended use of the vehicle is too. C5 and up is more advanced by far though.)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:36 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by acroy
sure sure, but other things make it un-interesting... to me.
But your statement indicates that you believe it was the first with the setup, when it wasn't.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:40 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
And the only one that doesn't axle hop on launch... (again, entirely different setup and arguably better depending on what your intended use of the vehicle is too. C5 and up is more advanced by far though.)
Yeah, I think the C4 launches better, and the later ones turn better. Although I really liked the turn-in of the C4 cars. But that has nothing to do with the leaf spring itself. :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
With proper set up on MSRC shocks, there is no axle hop in the C7. For example, the DSC MSRC controller has an automatic launch control setting which softens the rear MSRC shocks when it senses WOT from a standing start. Not only is there no axle hop, there is much better hookup because of the better weight transfer to the rear wheels.

None of this has anything to do with the transverse leaf springs.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-18-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Mikec7z (03-31-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

But your statement indicates that you believe it was the first with the setup, when it wasn't.
Splitting hairs - I stated leafs are part of what makes C5-C7 suspension design interesting. C5 suspension was a big step forward over C4 imho; plenty of other factors other than the leafs
Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
With proper set up on MSRC shocks, there is no axle hop in the C7. For example, the DSC MSRC controller has an automatic launch control setting which softens the rear MSRC shocks when it senses WOT from a standing start. Not only is there no axle hop, there is much better hookup because of the better weight transfer to the rear wheels.

None of this has anything to do with the transverse leaf springs.
With 30 years of improvement, there sure as hell should be. it worked surprisingly well for what it is and is still a very decent setup even by today's standards. It was a quantum leap from the C3.

But agreed, back to the topic at hand. Again, it's the suspension design itself vs the leaf causing the real problem. That pretty much was stated within the first ten posts. Just another derailed thread waiting to happen lol.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 02-18-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:08 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
No leaf springs on the ME. Instead adjustable coil over shocks.
One can only hope.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Why aren't transverse composite leaf springs used on any supercars?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

The CADs have already confirmed coil-overs. Both have pros/cons. Been racing Corvettes for years on transverse monoleafs w/o issue. I always chuckle when people compare them to truck leaf springs or talk about how they don't let the suspension be independent; what do you think your swaybar does?
ArmchairArchitect (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The C5/6/7 has a unique construction with a full perimeter frame and two cradle/subframes. Most "supercars" are carbon tubs these days. Transverse leafs are very light, low center of gravity, and load the chassis through the cradles so you don't have to have stabilizing structure up top on the shock towers.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
ArmchairArchitect (02-19-2019), Foosh (02-19-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
They are- C7 ZR1 which holds track records. Not to mention C7 Z06, C6 Z06 and ZR1, C5 Z06 which squash many (not all) other supercars on the track.

There are many pioneering technologies unique to the Corvette, some of which have been adopted by other supercars (magnetic ride shocks and HUD for example) and some of which haven't due to a variety of reasons (not fitting the architecture of the car etc.).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 02-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
Foosh (02-19-2019), RapidC84B (02-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C8 shed leaf springs?

Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Unbelievable fake news once again. The only drawbacks to the composite leaf springs is that they are very expensive to manufacture and spring rates are designed for a specific duty for each model Corvette. They are far superior to coil/overs in every other respect. They have efficient packaging and don't protrude into valuable real estate that can be used for airflow. No unsprung weight. Spring rate doesn't alter in roll because of anti-roll properties generated by the two mount point locations. Low CG, efficient load path that reduces binding and bush stiction. Zero fatigue.
They slide at the extremes therefor have no affect on track width like the control arms do on any other car even F1. Unlike C2 and 3 and E Type leaf springs which also perform the duty of a lower control arms or link...

Coil/overs have a wide range of spring rates which require an ARB which increase spring rates in roll..Switch your leafs to coil overs with no other mods, including tires, on your stock Vette, and you will have a lousy riding and handling Corvette. If you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with near perfect factory settings including ride height. You will go backwards, literally. .
Everybody mentions the anti roll bar effect of the leaf spring. Corvettes with factory leafs also have anti roll bars from the factory. But does anybody here actually understand the physics of a anti roll bar, whether it is an actual roll bar or the way the leaf springs work in anti roll? I'm willing to be educated but here is what I see when I put a anti roll bar into action. Everybody claims it "increases the spring rate" and that it keeps body roll to a minimum. But in my experiments, here is what I found.

When you have an anti roll bar on the vehicle (lets say the front) and you turn "left", the right side of the car does not compress so one would assume that is increased spring rate. But what is actually happening is the anti roll bar is lifting the left inside tire to keep the car level. So while your vehicle isn't leaning over with body roll, you are essentially lifting the left front tire off the ground to counter act the upward movement of the right tire and the anti roll bar moving upward. This does have some positive effects....steering feels crisper, camber curves might be better, car doesn't feel like it will tip over, etc. But you've now removed your left wheel from the traction equation and putting a ton of weight on the right front tire, often overloading it and causing it to slide (or push which would technically be understeer). The same happens in the rear.....the anti roll bar effect overloads the outside tire, lifting the inside tire so you end up with oversteer.

The problem is you're removing some of your available traction, braking and acceleration from the inside tire since you're lifting it up lessening its traction potential....on a constant radius corner where you are under high G loads, you're now depending on only two tires instead of four to help keep the car on the road. The other poster said the car moves out laterally....I don't think he means that the parts are moving but the the car is skittish and literally slides off the road under load. This makes for a car that is very sketchy and unpredictable....not confidence inspiring at all. The other issue with the anti roll effect is it makes putting power down coming out of a corner much harder since you've essentially turned a rear wheel drive car with two tires into a one tire wonder. Ever notice all the complaints by pro drivers in magazine articles when testing the C7 Z06 and ZR1 platform that they can't put the power down coming out of corners or the car is twitchy at the limit? Again, not confidence inspiring.

Another issue with the anti roll bar is brake dive and squat under acceleration. I do not believe an anti roll bar helps in either of these important performance parameters. So the important question is, everybody claims that the leaf springs have an anti roll effect.....does it do this anti roll effect like a anti roll bar and does it create the issues I've listed above?? IMO, anti roll bars are used for final tuning of the suspension, to handle specific track conditions, etc. The only spring rate I want holding up my car is the coil, leaf or torsion (how every your car is set up).....With coilovers it is very easy to change and adjust the spring rate to match your requirements.

Regarding the cost difference of leafs versus coilovers, I'll bet that in quantities of 2500 plus leaf springs, I doubt if GM is paying more than $25.00 per leaf spring.

Caveat to reality: Lets face it, 99% of the people on this forum aren't fast race car drivers, rarely push their Vettes to the limit on the track and think a "spirited drive" on some canyon is high performance and maxing the car out. Most of us here would suck as professional race car drivers (me included). Any modern sports car that is now being made is above the capability of the 99% of Corvette owners as mentioned above.

So I'm all ears and willing to learn on why leaf springs and big anti roll bars are a plus under very high performance applications. I own cars with coilovers and a Vette that had leaf springs and now coilovers. My Vette is now 99% track toy for track days. I know I prefer the track performance of the coilovers over the leaf springs. Saying that leaf springs are superior to coilovers in every respect except cost is pure bullcrap. If anybody wants a ride in a Corvette C5 on coilovers with full monoball A-arms and compare them back to back with their stock Corvette, let me know. Drive my car then drive yours and tell me how dramatically different (better or worse or about the same) the ride is. Putting out a blatant statement that all coilovers will ride worse than leaf springs really is fake news. There is a very good reason why every high performance car manufacturer uses coilovers and none uses leafs. Facts are facts.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:10 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

A roll bar is just a torsion spring. You twist it in opposite directions and it increases your wheel rate. You move it same direction, like over a bump, it doesn't twist and has no effect on wheel rate. Leaf springs are great... light, low CG, and they load the chassis through the cradles removing the need for any shock tower reinforcement.

Leafs have no anti-roll effect... they're springs. The one side does not affect the other in a material fashion.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 02-21-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TrackAire
When you have an anti roll bar on the vehicle (lets say the front) and you turn "left", the right side of the car does not compress so one would assume that is increased spring rate. But what is actually happening is the anti roll bar is lifting the left inside tire to keep the car level. So while your vehicle isn't leaning over with body roll, you are essentially lifting the left front tire off the ground to counter act the upward movement of the right tire and the anti roll bar moving upward.
Well, I'd say in your example, really the anti-roll bars are doing BOTH at the same time. They are preventing the right from compressing (increasing spring rate) AND lifting the left side to reduce roll.

Your example is very correct however and highlights why anti-roll bars are generally the last/final tuning piece of the puzzle in the suspension (as you pointed out). I think the mistake many people make is sticking big bars on softly sprung (and weakly dampened) cars and that makes the lift you describe that much worse. I chuckle at the ones that brag about carrying the inside tire around a corner as some sort of badge of honor, I just see it as lost grip and speed.

I also don't correlate the leaf springs on Corvettes to anti-roll bars. The way they are mounted, there should be no transfer of energy from one side of the car to the other.

I'd also say that comparing just about any aftermarket suspension to a stock one (maybe with the exception of the mag ride stuff) in terms of just ride is a bit unfair, even if it is just swapping the leafs and stock shocks for coilovers. That said, are the shock mounts in a Corvette reinforced to handle the weight of the car (especially over bounces, etc)? I don't know, I've just seen several other cars swap to coils and then wonder why their shocks blow through the shock mount. But back to aftermarket versus stock, ride wise, just about any decent aftermarket coil setup will ride better just due to better valving in the shock (of course, some cheap setups could be worse). Factoring in mag ride setups, that could change of course.

Quick Reply: Will the C8 shed leaf springs?