Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

All you guys who are so sure that EVs will never make it and that Tesla will go bankrupt have a great opportunity.....Short Tesla or any company selling EVs. You can put your money where your mouth is and make a killing.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
All you guys who are so sure that EVs will never make it and that Tesla will go bankrupt have a great opportunity.....Short Tesla or any company selling EVs. You can put your money where your mouth is and make a killing.
i fail to see where anyone claimed electric cars will not make it.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 89Roadster
Put 43 electric cars on a NASCAR track and see how fast that sport dies.

Electric will take over when gas becomes impractical and not anytime soon.
For what it's worth that sport died when Dale hit the wall, IMO.

But I take your point as likely true. But now you're taking a racing series not cars for street use.

NASCAR s a race series that only very recently even allowed the use of more than a 1960/70s era carburetors so I'm not sure that's the best example you can use to support your argument. We are very long, long ......LOOOOOONG time away from when the 'Win on Sunday/sell on Monday" argument was pretty real.

In 1970 you could run on down to your local Dodge dealer and buy an actual RWD 426 Hemi powered Charger and if ticked the right boxes you could even get the big *** wing over the trunk and the extended nose Richard Petty had on his race car. NASCAR's top bracket is long way from those by-gone era similarities today. The whole series is based on the idea of a car configuration you haven't been able to buy "new" at any point over the last 40+ years. Lee Iacocca and his crappy K cars and mini vans along with emissions rules and a whole lot of insurance industry demands pretty much killed the link up between NASCAR and your street car.

I'm with you entirely when it comes to the obstacles that electric faces before it can put a serious dent into the idea of Internal combustion as DOMINANT on the road. How-ever. I wonder if you've even noticed how far things have come toward the idea of a competitive industry full of electric offerings......10 years ago I too was laughing at the pure foolishness of PUSHING a Chevy Volt on a public that had no use for it and it came with a price tag attached that basically gave you an electric Malibu for Cadillac price tag......a price still not worth the money spent even with a big tax credit attached.

A lot has changed over these last 10 years though and it's still moving in that same direction pretty rapidly. The price has fallen, the range has grown........and at this point we're on the cusp of when the electrics will competitive on price WITHOUT tax credits. As this becomes reality the cars will all be judged against each other on performance alone. Over the next very few years every big manufacturer will have various models they offer up. Tesla's Elon Musk is about to have some serious competition for the first time. (Any current shareholder might want to think about that in the context of the valuation on Tesla shares right now )

It's just my impression.....but from what I've driven.....when that happens and enough supply of electric cars is available........ICE is going to be a really tough sell going forward.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by Road machine
Tesla is a tough one.

Tesla stock vs electric cars and their futures are not necessarily linked at all.

Tesla's biggest problem is it's valuation. As the industry leader and standing virtually ALONE as the only car company that makes electric cars EXCLUSIVELY.........it's been awarded a valuation that I personally find ludicrous. The cash flow and profitability problems are well known or at least it should be.

The number of workers employed per car built far above the industry average and when you add in the financial uncertainty.......it's pretty sketchy picture of a company that up until now has been largely unchallenged.

That's about to change in a VERY BIG WAY over just the next 2 or 3 years.

Very soon Elon Musk is going face a CRAP LOAD of competition coming from an auto industry that is stupid competitive and seriously over supplied with capacity to build cars. Once the competition for electric car market share starts to really ramp up......it won't be any different than any other segment of auto manufacturing. It'll include tough profit margin challenges for all but the largest and most efficient.....and that's in the GOOD TIMES of a thriving Global economy. When an INEVITABLE down turn puts sales across the entire industry into a slow down........Tesla is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of the company you DON'T want to own. But that's Tesla.......not electric cars. Well run players will keep building at a profit on lower sales volumes and profit margins long after Tesla is well into the RED.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
i fail to see where anyone claimed electric cars will not make it.
Look at post 571, 560, 559, 554.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vitoc
The "fact" remained, the ice caps should have melted years ago according to the predominant "climate scientists".

The "fact" remained, the Volt was going to get 230 mpg and be in every garage in America.

The "fact" remained, Trump didn't have a path to 270.

The "fact" remained, GM was supposed to have a self-driving vehicle available this year (2019) with no pedals or steering wheel.

Like many, you're buying way too much into the hype way too soon. You'd think some of you would have learned by now. You'd think.

PS: I've got a bridge to sell you. PM me for details.
I'm not predicting this happens over night......but I do think you're in for big changes over just the next few short years. In that time we'll have A a better idea of how quickly this can happen.......or even if I and others who hold this opinion are either correct or DEAD WRONG........virtually every big car manufacturer will have a few electric offerings.

Up until this point in this thread I haven't said really directly what has me predicting this so here it is.

DRIVE ONE!!!

When I drove that 2.5 second 0-60MPH with virtually NO DRAMA because that low center of gravity and power at all 4 wheels just GRABS and GO!!

I can't stress this enough. If you haven't driven one.......you can't possibly understand. I'm betting that when you do drive one you will understand.

Today Tesla cars are still pretty rarely seen in traffic and those really fast models don't come cheap........but the pricing is dropping so very fast and as more manufactures come to play in the space.......more people will get their first drive and impression. At that point change either comes quickly as I expect or it doesn't and I'm wrong.....maybe more people than I ever would have expected will prefer that rolled up sock in their pants as opposed to something real.

Oh and for the guy who might come back and suggest this that's just my opinion as a woman again....... I don't care how loud your C5 is. Driving that Tesla changed my impression of fast for-ever loud pipes are now the automotive equivalent of the rolled up sock making all the noise coming out from under your C5 and it simply doesn't impress me these days.......I've taken the real thing for a ride. No big noise.......just blistering acceleration. Fact is the silence only makes the thrust even more dramatic. Crazy as that might sound. We gotten so used to the noise over the years........it's just that much crazier when you realize that the only thing you're actually hearing are the tires struggling to hook up.

Last edited by Krystal; 03-07-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:44 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

locking due to complete derailment

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!