Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 AM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

thanks to all of you who contributed so far! I greatly appreciate all your answers! Plus you guys are right on with some of the pro's and cons of both vehicles. Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 AM
cdsymphony
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not get the Tesla Roadster that does 0-60 at less than 1.9 secs, it looks awesome, and +250 top speed, w/ 620mile range?
The ability or the machines top speed is limited by the quality of the tires. If you really want a 250 mph machine then get your check book out!, your tire expense is going to mirror that of a Bugatti.

Besides, Tesla isn't going to make many Roadster 2's. For most of us, they'll be unobtainable.
The following users liked this post:
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM
jamesc1123
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very interested in what the track performance will be for the Tesla Roadster. Will you be able to complete a 20 min HPDE session in it? Some people calculate that the Roadster could do something in the neighborhood of 3-4 Maximum Plaid 1/4 mile passes (based on battery capacity and energy required to complete a pass at those levels of acceleration/trap speed), so you'd have to severely de-rate acceleration performance if you wanted to run for any reasonable amount of time. (I haven't done any back-o'-napkin calcs myself, plus regen-braking could play in). At that point, If you want to put up the record lap time at your local track, you get one lap, maybe two. If you want a 20 min session, then where does your performance de-rate to? Corvette lap times? Which generation? Elon Musk, we need answers! The world wants to know!
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Regardless of how we feel as individuals, Electric is the future. In the same way buggy markers are farriers said the horseless carriage was a fad, I see history repeating itself w/ the gasoline combustion engine aficionados. With ranges increasing and prices dropping more and more people will transition to electric. IMO, It won't happen overnight but as charging stations start to pop up in more places it will happen eventually.

The "Achilles Heel" to electric is our power grid. If it goes down we would be screwed as a electric transportation nation. One reason I have not picked up an electric as a second car. Florida Hurricanes and 10 day power outages. In a perfect world, every house would be solar powered (so a power grid would be unnecessary), but that ain't gonna happen w/ corporations invested in power distribution and oil.

We had to a re-roof after Erma. Checked into whole house solar. Tesla had the best set-up small batteries, great power storage for coudy or night-time usage, good warranty, and complete integration into house (does not look like a solar roof), but price was $100K. At my age I'd never see the return on that investment. GAF had a similar setup, but looked like panels integrated into the roofing material. $70K+ w/ lesser warranty and longevity than Tesla. Also GAF did not talk about battery back-up or storage like Tesla.

Only real option for a whole house gen is propane IMO (where we live (Naples area). No Natural gas A 1000 gal buried tank w/ an 18KW Gen would provide enough run time to cover a normal hurricane power loss. Gasoline or diesel present their own set of problems w/ fuel storage and acquiring enough prior to a storm. Additionally, if you have back issues (as I do w/ 27 years of pounding my spine in the Army), hefting 6 gallon containers into and out of trunk can put me down for a week (something you do not want w/ a impending storm).

This consideration all came about because I was considering an electric vehicle instead of a gasoline powered car. Common sense prevailed and I'll stay w/ the gas powered car where I live.

Our country's power grid is fragile at best. There have been warnings to that effect. Estimates are that 1-2 billion can protect the grid but tax dollars always seem to find other priorities. If we get hacked or suffer a EMP that kills the nation's grid, watch what happens after about 9 days (when people miss 6 meals).

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 02-23-2019 at 10:37 AM.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The Tesla Roadster will be $200K base price, while the C8 will be around $65K base price. A ZO6 C8 will be plenty of car for most of us so figure on the C8 costing maybe half that of the Tesla. Even the Zora hybrid won't be much more than the C7 ZR1; GM has been building hybrids for many years and has already invested the R&D into high torque hybrids in the form of future trucks. The key to Corvette's affordability has always been to adapt high volume truck powertrains for use in a light two seater, and the hybrid Corvette will simply continue this formula.

Another reason for the C8 is if you're into long track sessions. The Tesla will be track ready but you likely won't be able to run it all day long.

Finally, we really don't know enough about the Tesla to be able to compare it to the C8. It may have quantifiably superior performance yet be dull to drive. Teslas aren't known for their steering feel and while the Model 3 reportedly handles well it's no match for something like an ATS or Giulia. I think Mazda has proven beyond doubt that a slower car can sometimes be more fun to drive than a faster car.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 02-22-2019 at 12:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
Bigjsn250 (02-20-2019), joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I've owned a couple Vette's (up to C7), a couple Gen 5 Vipers, GT-R, etc. and currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've done the whole, "I'm a V8 guy, I'm a V10 guy" etc, but until you've experienced 500+lb/ft of torque at 0 rpm, along with unbridled linear, smooth acceleration - it's really hard to understand how thrilling it is. This isn't a knock at all against any other vehicle, just honest praise at what an electric motor can do. I don't care what propels it - if it's fast, I love it!
The following 2 users liked this post by alienranch:
joseanMD (02-20-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-22-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Based on reading the forum, the important deciding question should not be which is faster, it is which can carry two golf bags and/or the entire clothes closet for a weekend getaway for two?

If the Roadster can really go 620 miles, it will be compelling. The second question will be can it run a 30 to 60 minute track session without cooking its batteries? The 24 hour race qualifier is not realistic since I'd bet 0.000001% of the forum (or Corvette owners in general) take part in 24 hour races.

Last edited by vndkshn; 02-20-2019 at 11:31 AM.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
The Model 3P does pretty well around the track, for a couple of laps. If the Roadster does indeed come in < 3,000 lbs., there's no doubt it will give the 'vette a run for its money.

Still won't be something you'd want to spend the entire day at the track with though, unlike the 'vette.
Considering the 100kwh battery in the model s is over 1,000 lbs and the new Tesla roadster is said to have a 200kwh battery I don't think the Tesla roadster will come in under 3,000 lbs.

Last edited by Randy Miller; 02-20-2019 at 11:53 AM.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
I've owned a couple Vette's (up to C7), a couple Gen 5 Vipers, GT-R, etc. and currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've done the whole, "I'm a V8 guy, I'm a V10 guy" etc, but until you've experienced 500+lb/ft of torque at 0 rpm, along with unbridled linear, smooth acceleration - it's really hard to understand how thrilling it is. This isn't a knock at all against any other vehicle, just honest praise at what an electric motor can do. I don't care what propels it - if it's fast, I love it!
You get it and the Troglodytes here who can't imagine a world where most cars are electric do not and likely never will. Kinda reminds me of the knuckleheads who couldn't imagine why anyone would want a PC, sadly there are still legions of these idiots.

I've had the pleasure and thrill of driving a neighbors Tesla S in Ludicrous Mode, look out, wow. I knew after 15 minutes of driving his car that the ICE was on borrowed time. The Corvette will go through a period of electric assist on its way to fully electric. No one can say when we will have an electric only Corvette but it will be far sooner than some of the ICE fist pounders believe.

Gee, who would want a Corvette with eyeball flattening acceleration that can stomp on a sport bike. Nobody here wants that would they? Wake up guys,l this is coming in the near future and all the negative comments from the Debbie Downers will not do a thing to alter this obvious course of evolution. This change WILL occur whether the cave men remain in denial or not.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Regardless of how we feel as individuals, Electric is the future. In the same way buggy markers are farriers said the horseless carriage was a fad, I see history repeating itself w/ the gasoline combustion engine aficionados. With ranges increasing and prices dropping more and more people will transition to electric. IMO, It won't happen overnight but as charging stations start to pop up in more places it will happen eventually.

The "Achilles Heel" to electric is our power grid. If it goes down we would be screwed as a electric transportation nation. One reason I have not picked up an electric as a second car. Florida Hurricanes and 10 day power outages. In a perfect world, every house would be solar powered (so a power grid would be unnecessary), but that ain't gonna happen w/ corporations invested in power distribution and oil.
So you can predict the future? Can I have the up coming lotto numbers then?
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:04 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
You get it and the Troglodytes here who can't imagine a world where most cars are electric do not and likely never will. Kinda reminds me of the knuckleheads who couldn't imagine why anyone would want a PC, sadly there are still legions of these idiots.

I've had the pleasure and thrill of driving a neighbors Tesla S in Ludicrous Mode, look out, wow. I knew after 15 minutes of driving his car that the ICE was on borrowed time. The Corvette will go through a period of electric assist on its way to fully electric. No one can say when we will have an electric only Corvette but it will be far sooner than some of the ICE fist pounders believe.

Gee, who would want a Corvette with eyeball flattening acceleration that can stomp on a sport bike. Nobody here wants that would they? Wake up guys,l this is coming in the near future and all the negative comments from the Debbie Downers will not do a thing to alter this obvious course of evolution. This change WILL occur whether the cave men remain in denial or not.
Way to dismiss anyone else thoughts. Your the only person you could ever be correct because you sat in a Tesla for 15 minutes. Try daily life with one as your only car and get back to me.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

So, what happened after driving the Tesla S in Ludicrous Mode for 15 minutes? Needed a tow to the nearest charging station?
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Without the power grid, don't forget to fill your garage with batteries when the sun doesn't shine (like after dusk).
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

I don't think electric is the future, at least as we know it today. Electric as we know it today is the bridge between traditional gasoline/diesel ICE and the real answer (which I don't claim to know). But the limitation to the grid can't be overlooked.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I've seen dated Eagle Talons kick Tesla's *** on the 1/4 mile. All you need is four wheel drive and some hp. Nothing revolutionary in Tesla's product except they have figured out how to extract billions of tax dollars out of gov't and can get some consumers to pay double what they need to for a comparable vehicle. Hell lithium battery technology is 30 yrs old already. The fastest car in the world was a EV in the 1900's then they invented the internal combustion engine and the auto industry never looked back, look it up , historical fact. Billions and billions spent to do a lot of virtuous signalling. Elon jets all over the friggin world on his private Gulfstream trying to save the world from C02, some days he takes it from one side of LA to the other to avoid the traffic with his kid to go to a video game tournament, another fact. Smart guy, I'll give 'em that, thanks Mr. Taxpayer for the lifestyle !

Elon Musk’s highflying 2018 - Washington Post
The following 2 users liked this post by C7DriverOnt:
joseanMD (02-20-2019), Lacquer (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:09 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Can you ever comment in a thread without coming across as a snotty, condescending DB?

joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Without the power grid, don't forget to fill your garage with batteries when the sun doesn't shine (like after dusk).
Um, without the power grid the electric pumps at the gas station will not operate either....
joseanMD (02-20-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
Um, without the power grid the electric pumps at the gas station will not operate either....
I don't recall making a claim that it did.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
Way to dismiss anyone else thoughts. Your the only person you could ever be correct because you sat in a Tesla for 15 minutes. Try daily life with one as your only car and get back to me.
I can get back to you on that right now. I know several people who have been driving Teslas daily for a long time and they are absolutely in love with them. Do a little research and you will find the majority who own these vehicles give the same reviews. You sound like another guy who is blindly resistant to change. Get with it Dude, the world will change whether you know it or not or like it or not. Deal with it.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:42 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance daily and absolutely love it. I have a charger in my garage where I just plug it in each night. Haven't been to a gas station in a couple months (the length I've had the car). 310 mile range and my daily commute is about 80 miles so I've never come close to needing to go to a supercharger. The car is unbelievable and hitting 0-60 in 3.1 seconds consistently and effortlessly makes the daily commute a bit more manageable. The tech is second to none and the OTA updates keep adding cool functionality to the car. Honestly, I never thought I would like them as much as I do, but I, like most other reviewers out there, fell in love the second I hit the accelerator.
The following 3 users liked this post by alienranch:
JerriVette (02-20-2019), joseanMD (02-20-2019), msm859 (02-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!