Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Old 02-20-2019, 03:51 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
I drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance daily and absolutely love it. I have a charger in my garage where I just plug it in each night. Haven't been to a gas station in a couple months (the length I've had the car). 310 mile range and my daily commute is about 80 miles so I've never come close to needing to go to a supercharger. The car is unbelievable and hitting 0-60 in 3.1 seconds consistently and effortlessly makes the daily commute a bit more manageable. The tech is second to none and the OTA updates keep adding cool functionality to the car. Honestly, I never thought I would like them as much as I do, but I, like most other reviewers out there, fell in love the second I hit the accelerator.
These cavemen don't want to hear it. You can't sway their thoughts with hands on experience or evaluations based on ownership. Don't even think about engaging them as they will bring you down to their primitive level and beat you with experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
joseanMD (02-20-2019), tonypittman (03-02-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Given my experience assembling computers, developing software, and many years in the information technology field (development and security) I'm hardly a cave man stuck in the past. I'm just saying that with my years in the technology field I have noticed that often times when new tech is predicted as the only way thing will be done in the future it does not always happen. It could be the new technology never developes to fully meet the needs that the old technology did, or the cost are two high and never come down even when it seems it should, or that a third option will form that did not previously exist.

As such I try not to make too many predictions other than the prediction that often new technology doesn't always work out how we think it might. Just this millennials 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by flyingbunnys:
joseanMD (02-20-2019), Michael A (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:45 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
These cavemen don't want to hear it. You can't sway their thoughts with hands on experience or evaluations based on ownership. Don't even think about engaging them as they will bring you down to their primitive level and beat you with experience.
C'mon man, that's a little harsh. People may disagree on Tesla, but we all agree on Corvette!
The following users liked this post:
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:01 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

C'mon man, that's a little harsh. People may disagree on Tesla, but we all agree on Corvette!
I agree, was really looking for a laugh. All good.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I bleieve the tesla supercar will be amazing yet until it releases none of us will know what the benefits and weaknesses will be.

to try and compare it to a c8 corvette high performance model that slao is not out yet is kind of futile.

if I took a guess ? Id imagine the tesla supercar will be a performance superstar based off how great the model 3 performance model is.

id imagine battery thermal management will be a challenge that will be resolved as last I read the tesla model S ludicrious mode had an issue on a road course with I believe car and driver magazine but I could be mistaken with regards as to which magazine tried and had an overheating issue on the track after one lap.

lets hope that challenge will be easily resolved for the quarter of a million dollar tesla supercar.

ive driven the tesla model S ludicrious mode and its an amazing performance sedan for the street and the drag strip.

no reason to believe tesla wont resolve thermal management

EV s are taking over from a performance standpoint.
joseanMD (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 PM
wilfie
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So you get the car, you do the fast 0-60 a dozen times.
You show all the buddies that will ride with you.
You make the video with the squealing blonde in the low cut blouse.
OK now what? You're bored that's what.
A car has to offer a lot more so when I hear all about how the acceleration is so quick and that is the focus why the car is so good. It's bye bye baby bye bye.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wilfie
So you get the car, you do the fast 0-60 a dozen times.
You show all the buddies that will ride with you.
You make the video with the squealing blonde in the low cut blouse.
OK now what? You're bored that's what.
A car has to offer a lot more so when I hear all about how the acceleration is so quick and that is the focus why the car is so good. It's bye bye baby bye bye.
Wow. Someone clearly pissed in your kool aid.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Edit... Wanted to add there is nothing like a V8 rumble and blow off valve.
There is always the rumble of a V12........
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
There is always the rumble of a V12........
I prefer a V10 myself. E60 M5 was the best sounding car, ever.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

If possible, i'd have both!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Here are some things I don't see EV's overcoming in the near future if ever:

1) Charging speed compared to a gasoline car filling up. To fill up a 150 kWhr battery in five minutes would take 1.8 megawatts. I don't see that happening. Do you know how big the charging cable would have to be? Using the typical 13% charging loss, the car would have to dissipate 234 kW. That's the equivalent of 156 space heaters.

2) High performance driving not reducing the range to unacceptable levels due to too much energy not being recovered during heavy braking.

3) Range being increased without increasing the weight of the car excessively.
joseanMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:11 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Regardless of how we feel as individuals, Electric is the future. In the same way buggy markers are farriers said the horseless carriage was a fad, I see history repeating itself w/ the gasoline combustion engine aficionados. With ranges increasing and prices dropping more and more people will transition to electric. IMO, It won't happen overnight but as charging stations start to pop up in more places it will happen eventually.

The "Achilles Heel" to electric is our power grid. If it goes down we would be screwed as a electric transportation nation. One reason I have not picked up an electric as a second car. Florida Hurricanes and 10 day power outages. In a perfect world, every house would be solar powered (so a power grid would be unnecessary), but that ain't gonna happen w/ corporations invested in power distribution and oil.
Is that really an issue? I have solar - last year my electric bill was zero except for a $5 / month connection fee. 15 years in my house may have loss power maybe 3 times - all very brief. California is very pro solar, I have heard Florida is not.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:40 AM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
I see your e60 m5 and raise you one LP640 Murcielago
joseanMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael A
Here are some things I don't see EV's overcoming in the near future if ever:

1) Charging speed compared to a gasoline car filling up. To fill up a 150 kWhr battery in five minutes would take 1.8 megawatts. I don't see that happening. Do you know how big the charging cable would have to be? Using the typical 13% charging loss, the car would have to dissipate 234 kW. That's the equivalent of 156 space heaters.

2) High performance driving not reducing the range to unacceptable levels due to too much energy not being recovered during heavy braking.

3) Range being increased without increasing the weight of the car excessively.
These are all completely valid points, but interestingly enough, ones that are improving by leaps and bounds.The viability of EV is obviously a point of great discussion, but pretty much every major auto manufacturer across the globe is investing heavily/moving completely to EV within the next decade. This wouldn't happen without your points being resolved or worked around. I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but have learned quite a bit prior to buying my Tesla. Here is my 2 cents:

• Tesla Supercharger v1 maxed at 60kW, v2 at 120kw, v3 at 250kw, Porsche's network at 350kW, and a new network in Germany at 450kW. Charging speeds vary greatly on the battery's current SOC, temperature, etc., but the point is that the charging technology is advancing rapidly. Additionally, for your average driver (myself included), we simply plug in when we get home. I'll likely never visit a supercharger unless I'm on a road trip. If it takes 10 minutes to charge the car to 80%, it's a small trade-off for not having spent one second at a gas station for the last 'X' months/years.
  • This is a tough one, since you generally aren't concerned with range when you're doing true "high performance driving". I got less than 5 mpg in my Viper when on a racetrack. That would equate to roughly 80 miles range. We had to fill up at the nearby station constantly, along with just about every other thirsty car. Same would apply to EV.
3) Range being increased without increasing the weight of the car excessively
  • With the latest move from 18650 to 2170 battery packs, energy density was increased substantially. Ultra-capacitors and dry cell technology are currently being tested to make another leap forward in density. I recently read something interesting about the battery weight a while back. The logic was basically, vehicles that require great range aren't as concerned with weight as say sports cars, any more than their ICE counterparts. A 200+ kw battery pack will be in the Tesla and Rivian truck, along with the major player truck/SUV lineup. I'm honestly not even sure I'd want the 200kW pack that's in the Tesla Roadster for a 600 mile range. It's a supercar, I'd rather have half the range and save the weight. 300 miles is plenty on a car like that (better than any Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). Point being, we're not far off now.
Anyway, I don't disagree with any of your points, I just think we're farther along. Time will tell, but as an owner/enthusiast of some very fast ICE cars, I now agree with what the majority of highly respected auto reviewers and journalist have stated. Electric is likely the future. Corvette will more than likely utilize a hybrid system for the high-end variant of the C8 (stated by most people who are far more connected to the upcoming platform than myself).

In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast"
joseanMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 AM
texel
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Roaming charge station in parking garage ...

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...An/gm&RS=AN/gm

Last edited by texel; 02-21-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
So you can predict the future? Can I have the up coming lotto numbers then?
12 17 22 23 30 33

Can't confirm these as winners, but certainly they will be in play.
joseanMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by msm859
Is that really an issue? I have solar - last year my electric bill was zero except for a $5 / month connection fee. 15 years in my house may have loss power maybe 3 times - all very brief. California is very pro solar, I have heard Florida is not.
Yeah, California, what a role model. they really have it all figured out there on the west coast. The place is a Liberal fueled disaster area. It would be laughable to much of the US if it weren't for the fact that our Federal Government has to step in with money to mop up the mess created by their pie in the sky, give away the store economic and social policies.

Solar power indeed, all free, sure it is.

We enough natural gas in this country to make electricity for 1,000 years. WTF do we need to put these hideous, high priced, junk panels every where. Ridiculous.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
In the V10 arena it wasn't bad, but a distant second to a Carrera GT. Of course, it was a VERY distant 2nd in terms of price. :-)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

I got less than 5 mpg in my Viper when on a racetrack. That would equate to roughly 80 miles range. We had to fill up at the nearby station constantly, along with just about every other thirsty car.
Seeing you are in Prosper, I assume you have been to the bumpy hell that is Eagles Canyon (although I hear the new owners are completely redoing the track, not just the surface but also the design, fingers crossed) but in my E46 M3 I used to get less than 4MPG there! I think it was usually 3.2-3.6. And that was before they had gas local to the track, that sucked.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vndkshn
Seeing you are in Prosper, I assume you have been to the bumpy hell that is Eagles Canyon (although I hear the new owners are completely redoing the track, not just the surface but also the design, fingers crossed) but in my E46 M3 I used to get less than 4MPG there! I think it was usually 3.2-3.6. And that was before they had gas local to the track, that sucked.
You nailed it. ECR is painful for damn near any car! The new owners are making some substantial progress on resurfacing, but I haven't been back in over a year. Motorsport Ranch is worth the drive until Lou G. gets his track built in Allen.

Last edited by alienranch; 02-21-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!