Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
0-60 and 1/4 mile times sell performance cars not lateral acceleration metrics or "Ring Times".
True. Never said the Tesla marketing guys were stupid.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
True. Never said the Tesla marketing guys were stupid.
Shouldn't be that way but that's how it is. Lets face it, the overwhelming majority of sports car buyers do not have the skills to use these current vehicles at any point remotely close to their limits.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

my two cents....electric power in transportation is part of the future, maybe a big part.

tesla is cool but its a niche product. my understanding is that its very expensive to support after the warranty wears off and you're gonna have to take it to a tesla center as normal garages dont work on them due to the more major differences on them and the tesla centers are expensive once you are off of waranty.

can i drive it down to south ga, take a side trip into some rural area and then go take a few side trips without worrying about it running out of power? i mean i can fill up my cars and any backwoods filling station. how's that work with a tesla?

finally, i think if and when electric cars become economically worth building, when folks will buy them for reasons other than virtue signalling or having something for short commutes, the big automakers will make them in any and all versions that the public at large will buy.

about the power grid going down and not being able to recharge your tesla.. i have a whole house generator and it produces enough juice to run everything in my house turned on at once, including dryers and a 220 volt shop air compressor, air conditioning and everything else. i suspect if the grid goes down and i had a tesla, it would just be one more thing plugged into my backup system. i know folks in florida in expensive homes and due to hurricanes and such, they have multiple 500 gallon propane tanks, just for their backup gensets so if the grid goes down and the gas company shuts down natural gas distribution do to possible leaks in destroyed homes, you would still be able to charge your tesla. folks i know ran for more than a week on their gensets.

bottom line. when electric cars will sell to the general public, the big automakers will make them.
The following users liked this post:
joseanMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
I've owned a couple Vette's (up to C7), a couple Gen 5 Vipers, GT-R, etc. and currently drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've done the whole, "I'm a V8 guy, I'm a V10 guy" etc, but until you've experienced 500+lb/ft of torque at 0 rpm, along with unbridled linear, smooth acceleration - it's really hard to understand how thrilling it is. This isn't a knock at all against any other vehicle, just honest praise at what an electric motor can do. I don't care what propels it - if it's fast, I love it!
Lol.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:56 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

The 600 mile range is no problem, as it's simply two 100kW packs, wherein a a 74kW pack in the Model 3 gets 310 mile range. 335 miles for the heavier Model S w/a 100kW pack. I still don't see the point of having a 600 mile range with a sports car of that caliber, but the math is simple and doesn't lie. 600 miles off 200kW is easy.
they need that capacity to get the amperage needed for that level of performance. Otherwise they would reduce it for the weightsavings and take the mileage hit.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by joseanMD
Well, here is the deal, if GM comes out with a super Corvette C8 ZR1 at 1000hp and still run 0-60 to at 2.6-2.8 secs, valued at $150k?! Why not get the Tesla Roadster that does 0-60 at less than 1.9 secs, it looks awesome, and +250 top speed, w/ 620mile range? (see roadster info, https://www.tesla.com/roadster)

I mean I love the Corvette, particularly my C7 but, that Tesla Roadster is a sexy mean fast machine! Potential C8 pricing aside, what would make the difference between the Tesla Roadster and the Corvette C8 in terms of perfomance? That Tesla would beat hands down all Ferraris, Lambo's and Buggatis out there at $200k isn't it a steal!? When the C8 Mid Engine Vette comes out, what features could make the C8 better than this Tesla vehicle? Should GM totally reconsider and build the C8 as an EV? or have a fully electric C8 Corvette 3-4 years down the road?

Anyway, I have so many questions... I know we don't have all the C8 answers yet, but could you please let me know what you think? thanks!
did you own a first gen Roadster?... then you would know why not... Using the lotus body was the only cool part abt it...
joseanMD (02-27-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

1,800 lbs of batteries, and I agree that's excessive for a car with those potential capabilities. Cut some of that range down and reduce the weight.
It's not just range that would be cut. It would be the maximum output of the batteries for acceleration and top speed. Push the current too high, and heat goes up, as well as, battery degradation. Tesla has done a great job of getting performance from Lithium Ion batteries, but they are now reaching the limits of physics.
alienranch (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

I just purchased a Tesla P3 and it is almost as fun as my Z.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 02-23-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Zaro Tundov (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:45 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
Right now Tesla's not doing as good as it's suppose to!!!!
Really? How good is it supposed to do? I live in SW FL and Teslas are everywhere, their owners love them.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:01 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I just purchased a Tesla P3 and it is almost as fun as my Z.
Same here - it's a blast. Just makes it fun to go drive around. Feel like I just got my license looking for an excuse to go out.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Same here - it's a blast. Just makes it fun to go drive around. Feel like I just got my license looking for an excuse to go out.
Amazing how the cave men here don't or won't hear any of this.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

They are like "we old, we don't want change"

I want to race a C7Z, but I haven't found one yet to burn in our P3.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Parcival
Drifting

I hear it’s a blast. So, is my bmw “3” e46 series from 2001. I just seriously Tesla shopped (posted my experience here and on Tesla forums). It’s a cool car all around when you have 1-2 cars. Then you’ll get 550ft lb torque and 320hp off the line with P3 (based on three runs on Mustang dyno posted on YT by HorsepowerJunkies —with Abs sensors turned off) and you can lug your entire family around. g2 Roadster isn’t out yet so we don’t know but the G1 Roadster was a lotus only meant to outperform a turbo 4-cyl engine (based on the marketing slides).

I don’t need to lug anyone around in it, so I’m just looking at it as a car. Model 3 and S feel like soundless slightly zippier versions of my 3 series and previous 5 series, respectively. Take the P versions with upgrades and you’re more M like IMO. There’s a following for a reason.

However, I couldn’t bring myself to get one. Something’s missing. I am not even talking the range issue. Get up to highway speeds and the reverse hp/torque curve feels weird. I’m not a physics guy but the S P100 is well known to only get 275 ft-lb and 310hp at highway speeds — P3 and Roadsters will work similarly with reverse curve. We all know how an ICE like the Vette or even a Mustang GT feels at that speed, running above 3k rpm. In other words, the stop sign warriors are quite limp relatively at those speeds. Three times I test drove my salesman kept me on smaller roads with 50 mph speed limits and stop signs, probably for a reason...

Respectable cars no doubt, but cross shopping them is hard unless you use your Vette mostly to get groceries, car pool, and stop sign drag. Guess I’m a cave person.

Last edited by Parcival; 02-23-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance daily and absolutely love it. I have a charger in my garage where I just plug it in each night. Haven't been to a gas station in a couple months (the length I've had the car). 310 mile range and my daily commute is about 80 miles so I've never come close to needing to go to a supercharger. The car is unbelievable and hitting 0-60 in 3.1 seconds consistently and effortlessly makes the daily commute a bit more manageable. The tech is second to none and the OTA updates keep adding cool functionality to the car. Honestly, I never thought I would like them as much as I do, but I, like most other reviewers out there, fell in love the second I hit the accelerator.
I'm glad you like your car...but...if you're consistently doing 3.1 second 0-60 runs during your commute, your range isn't sniffing 310 miles.

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

These cavemen don't want to hear it. You can't sway their thoughts with hands on experience or evaluations based on ownership. Don't even think about engaging them as they will bring you down to their primitive level and beat you with experience.
You REALLY need to get over yourself.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:57 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I'm glad you like your car...but...if you're consistently doing 3.1 second 0-60 runs during your commute, your range isn't sniffing 310 miles.
Neither will any petrol fueled sports car. Your point?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
Neither will any petrol fueled sports car. Your point?
Just pointing out that a couple of runs and the battery capacity plunges like a rock. As does an ICE. Difference is you can fill up an ICE anywhere in 5 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!

Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chrisrokc
They are like "we old, we don't want change"

I want to race a C7Z, but I haven't found one yet to burn in our P3.
are you going to race to the next stop sign, or will you try a quarter or lap of some sort?

Geez tell you what we learned from the S P100. You’ll win in short distances under 60mph and a fresh charge especially if you lighten up. On the highway above 70 or on the track you’ll just be a Chevy Volt.

Last edited by Parcival; 02-23-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

0-60 and 1/4 mile times sell performance cars not lateral acceleration metrics or "Ring Times".
Shouldn't be that way but that's how it is. Lets face it, the overwhelming majority of sports car buyers do not have the skills to use these current vehicles at any point remotely close to their limits.
Actually only people interested in drag racing pay all that much attention to the 0-60 or 1/4 mile times as they are worthless when it comes to knowing how well a car will perform in the real world environment where it spends more time cornering, slowing and accelerating off a corner than accelerating from a stop. One of the key things missing from those acceleration times is how many times in a row they can do that without having a cool down period between runs.

A Model S might be able to get 330 miles on a single charge on the highway but when you start pushing the go pedal more that really drives up current usage and just like any other vehicle powered by any source higher performance drops traveling distance. The problem with any electric vehicle when running at max power is how long it can do that compared to a gas powered vehicle especially with the weight penalty the battery brings with it. On the Model S that is 1200 pounds. Tesla owners running at max power are seeing a 3 mile drop in range for every mile driven when running flat out and are seeing a max of 3 minutes of flat out operation before the system goes into battery protection mode and slows the car. Even a C7 Z06 A8 does better than that. The electric vehicle may be simpler and more efficient due to its electric motor but the battery is the weak link at this time and for the foreseeable future.

Bill

Bill

Bill
Rodbuster56 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by joseanMD
Well, here is the deal, if GM comes out with a super Corvette C8 ZR1 at 1000hp and still run 0-60 to at 2.6-2.8 secs, valued at $150k?! Why not get the Tesla Roadster that does 0-60 at less than 1.9 secs, it looks awesome, and +250 top speed, w/ 620mile range? (see roadster info, https://www.tesla.com/roadster)

I mean I love the Corvette, particularly my C7 but, that Tesla Roadster is a sexy mean fast machine! Potential C8 pricing aside, what would make the difference between the Tesla Roadster and the Corvette C8 in terms of perfomance? That Tesla would beat hands down all Ferraris, Lambo's and Buggatis out there at $200k isn't it a steal!? When the C8 Mid Engine Vette comes out, what features could make the C8 better than this Tesla vehicle? Should GM totally reconsider and build the C8 as an EV? or have a fully electric C8 Corvette 3-4 years down the road?

Anyway, I have so many questions... I know we don't have all the C8 answers yet, but could you please let me know what you think? thanks!

Because I like driving across country
The following 2 users liked this post by Varmit:
joseanMD (02-27-2019), Rodbuster56 (02-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Corvette C8 vs. Tesla Roadster?!