Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who keep saying there's NO DELAY - NCM plant tour screen captures

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's not the uniforms producing the higher levels of quality. Perhaps quality, productivity, and employee satisfaction would actually improve at Porsche if they stopped having to play dress up every day and were allowed to wear what they feel most comfortable in.
Nothing more than the same lock step German efficiency that built Panzers.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No production line does a perfect job. But...
I've done the buyer's factory at BG twice.Both my wife and I were impressed by the care and pride shown by the assembly line workers. Our four new Corvettes have had a good share of problems, but all of them were caused by parts that failed after being on the street for a while, none of the problems were caused by poor work on the assembly line.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
It's a model year 2020 car. There's enough LinkedIn postings by people working in the project, and certain labels on the cars themselves, that this is a fact not up for debate.

The only way it gets pushed to MY2021 is if it's delayed.
It seems to me that a model year is whatever GM says it is, looking at how the 2018 & 2019 dates were juggled.
If the C8 goes into production in December 2020, it could still credibly be called a 2020 MY car. That would be 21 months from now and over a year later than the estimates being made a few months ago.

The people who know don't talk, but lack of proof does not change my opinion that the C8 has been delayed from what GM had planned a few months ago. Depending on the reasons and how GM handles them, this could be insignificant or of major importance.

We just have to be patient.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 AM
Tom73
Race Director

It's a model year 2020 car. There's enough LinkedIn postings by people working in the project, and certain labels on the cars themselves, that this is a fact not up for debate.

The only way it gets pushed to MY2021 is if it's delayed.
Jeff, can you provide some links, would love to see who is risking their jobs/careers by posting confidential/privileged information.
jefnvk (03-06-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

It's not the uniforms producing the higher levels of quality. Perhaps quality, productivity, and employee satisfaction would actually improve at Porsche if they stopped having to play dress up every day and were allowed to wear what they feel most comfortable in.
My guess, which is based on every bit as much data as you have, is that they are comfortable AND have pride/esprit de corps. Remember, they have VERY powerful "Works Councils" in Germany and line workers tend to be treated with respect. They also tend to be pretty dedicated and focused. They are very well trained and compensated. All of it adds up.

I've had a lifetime observing that as people began to dress like slobs on the job they would tell themselves they were "productive" and "quality" and such -- but in fact the work tended to get as sloppy as the workers. Definitely saw it in schools -- us "repressed" catholic school kids in our uniforms kicked the public school kids' butts acedemically even though our class sizes were 3X as big. Now I note that charter schools that brought in uniforms tended to show improved performance. All part of a more disciplined and focused culture. You can be creative without being a slob.

If I were an assembly line guy, I'd be proud to wear "team colors" like the Porsche guys do -- provided the conditions and pay were good. Plenty of time to "play dress up" and show my individuality when I'm not on the line...
Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,149 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Add me to the group who would like to at least see BGA workers in some kind of Corvette polo shirt. Maybe not the full on oompa loompa get up (it would have to be demim overalls for Kentucky ) but at least a coordinated team shirt.
ArmchairArchitect (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
Jeff, can you provide some links, would love to see who is risking their jobs/careers by posting confidential/privileged information.
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jahernandez89

GM programs include: - T1XX MY 2019 (Footrest) - C1UC MY 2019 (Footrest, Door Trim, Headliner) - Y2XX MY 2020 (Footrest) - T1XX SUV MY 2021 (Footrest)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricardobaca

Working on Launching Premium wheels for Y2BC 2020 Corvette • Successfully Launching 2019 DT RAM program with no Delay • Successfully Launching ES2C ...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-heineman

Launched first to market Power Pickup Truck Tailgate System, GM's T1XX, worth ... $117 million over nine years including the new Zerv Corvette cinching latch.
There's other mentions of the program codes that don't have dates. Some people have cleaned up their profiles in the last few months, so there aren't as many as there used to be. Also, the quotes above were taken from Google's page caches. So the actual profiles may have been cleaned and just haven't been reflected in the cache yet.

Several of the test cars also have a yellow strip of tape with numbers on them. Part of the code is L, for model year 2020. This was confirmed by comparing the codes to spy shots from other cars that have gone on to be released.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

The big problem with that logic is that it assumes the NCM, which has no official GM affiliation, actually carefully coordinated with the right people at GM. My theory is that they asked someone at BGA who gave them a WAG, and they went with it without official GM confirmation and ended up with egg on face.
Except, that would mean lawsuits if customers bought the museum delivery package when they ordered their cars, and then at the last second, the customer is told the museum delivery and plant tour cant happen.

If you think GM is so internally hush hush, that there is not a person who is atop the museum delivery program, that is NOT informed when the blackout dates for touring the factory will be, dates supplied by GM, and informed well in advance, then you and I live in 2 different universes.

Further, if GM Authority and other sources claim there is a 6 month delay for electrical issues, and there was actually NOT a real delay and no electrical issue, I can guarantee Tadge or anyone else from GM would have squashed that story fast, as it is a kick in the nuts on the global stage vs other manufacturers, that no one wants to endure allowing the public to believe is true, IF it is not true.

There is a delay. Get over it. Car was supposed to be revealed already.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-04-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:25 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

We've gone business casual, and worker productivity is much better than the days of business suits 5 days a week. The culture is far more relaxed, friendly, with higher morale and teamwork. I'm at the top of the food chain and rarely wear a tie any more.

Uniforms don't do anything except make prettier marketing photos of the assembly line.
You're kind of proving the point, though you don't realize it. Now picture your office if everyone just wore street casual rather than business casual. It's about the sweet spot in between, not the two extremes of streetwear and suits. You need at least a little bit of professionalism in workplace attire.

Smart casual is where it's at, and logo'd polo shirts would bring more professionalism and sense of a "team" to the assembly line, versus someone showing up in ripped clothing just to collect a paycheck. They're building the company's flagship car, for god's sake.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 03-04-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Rapid Fred (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School
We're talking about plant tours given to the public. People touring the plant will form an opinion based on what they see. So what looks better, the Porsche line worker in the uniform or the BG line worker in the wife beater? Who would you rather have assembling your car? The cost to GM to have everyone in a Corvette polo at BG would be minimal. It's all about optics.
LOL . . . it's the same person regardless of whether they're wearing a uniform or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Jackie Chiles (03-04-2019), Red67John (03-06-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Tom73
Race Director

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jahernandez89

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricardobaca

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-heineman

There's other mentions of the program codes that don't have dates. Some people have cleaned up their profiles in the last few months, so there aren't as many as there used to be. Also, the quotes above were taken from Google's page caches. So the actual profiles may have been cleaned and just haven't been reflected in the cache yet.

Several of the test cars also have a yellow strip of tape with numbers on them. Part of the code is L, for model year 2020. This was confirmed by comparing the codes to spy shots from other cars that have gone on to be released.
Thank you. It is hard to believe that so-called professional people can be soooooo stupid.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:13 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Except, that would mean lawsuits if customers bought the museum delivery package when they ordered their cars, and then at the last second, the customer is told the museum delivery and plant tour cant happen.

If you think GM is so internally hush hush, that there is not a person who is atop the museum delivery program, that is NOT informed when the blackout dates for touring the factory, dates supplied by GM, and informed well in advance, then you and I live in 2 different universes.

Further, if GM Authority and other sources claim there is a 6 month delay for electrical issues, and there was actually NOT a real delay and no electrical issue, I can guarantee Tadge or anyone else from GM would have squashed that story fast, as it is a kick in the nuts, that no one wants to endure allowing the public to believe is true, IF it is not true.

How could it possibly take 6 months to resolve an electrical issue(s)?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
How could it possibly take 6 months to resolve an electrical issue(s)?
this has been covered in other threads. If you like, i will do the searching for you when I get the time, since it is not something you can sort out on your own

Edit:
Pretty sure some people with experience in electronics and vehicle production, chime in somewhere in this thread.

if not, ill look again and see if there is another thread about the topic, which has the explainations

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cal-issue.html

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-04-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:28 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

LOL . . . it's the same person regardless of whether they're wearing a uniform or not.
By your reasoning they can just come to work in a bath robe because why not . . same guy right, who cares if they look like a slob
The following 2 users liked this post by Old School:
ArmchairArchitect (03-07-2019), Rapid Fred (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

No, that's your reasoning not mine. You asked me which one I wanted building my car. I said, it's the same person whether he/she is wearing an oompa-loompa suit or not. What does that have to do with bathrobes?

Now if someone shows up in a bathrobe, I suspect mental health professionals would become involved, and he probably wouldn't be doing anything at the plant for awhile or ever again.

I'm sure Porsche has fired plenty of workers over time, even though they were perfectly dressed in spiffy uniforms.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-04-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

​​​​​​​Eastern block Olympic Power lifters of old.....
ArmchairArchitect (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Eastern block Olympic Power lifters of old.....
Looks like Santa’s workshop. Im pretty sure the UAW will never accept uniforms in a contract, and yes, it would have to be negotiated.

In the 70’s, when I worked at the St. Louis plant while going to college part time, GM provided coveralls se employee whose jobs were hazardous or extremely dirty but it was the minority of the workforce. Don’t tell GM but I still have a pair of those fashionable old blue striped denim coveralls. OMG

Get notified of new replies

To For those who keep saying there's NO DELAY - NCM plant tour screen captures

Old 03-06-2019, 06:30 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

The delay will end when they no longer have a 273 day supply of C7's on dealer lots to get rid of, that's 9000 corvettes.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z

If you think GM is so internally hush hush, that there is not a person who is atop the museum delivery program, that is NOT informed when the blackout dates for touring the factory will be, dates supplied by GM, and informed well in advance, then you and I live in 2 different universes.

Further, if GM Authority and other sources claim there is a 6 month delay for electrical issues, and there was actually NOT a real delay and no electrical issue, I can guarantee Tadge or anyone else from GM would have squashed that story fast, as it is a kick in the nuts on the global stage vs other manufacturers, that no one wants to endure allowing the public to believe is true, IF it is not true.

Buyers of the R8C Museum Delivery get just that, Museum delivery, and they have throughout the suspension of the plant tours. The plant tour is a separate thing the customer hopes to enjoy while they are at the Museum.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,149 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The delay will end when they no longer have a 273 day supply of C7's on dealer lots to get rid of, that's 9000 corvettes.
Nah... GM already sold those.

Quick Reply: For those who keep saying there's NO DELAY - NCM plant tour screen captures