Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** New Spy Shots *** : Mid Engine C8 Production Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:34 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

For me the biggest issue I have with these type of cars is a subtle one but one that is important to my eyes. For me the front has to balance out the back. I know there is more going on in the back engineering wise and less up front with ME's, but balance is very visually appealing to me and often the balance is thrown off in these types cars. Lambos never did it for me because of the short snout. Certain Ferraris and McLarens hit the mark for me and its really due only to about adding a foot or so upfront. Not loving the balance I'm sort of seeing so far in these mules, and not in love with the side vent placement. Of course seeing this car in person and not camoed could change a lot visually. Just not blown away yet, which is likely good for my wallet, but who knows.

Last edited by tcweidner; 02-23-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 PM
edved
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

MTO. That green is ******* gorgeous!

Last edited by edved; 02-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Tcweidner, I understand your wanting balance, but maybe we are perceiving balance based on “what we are used to” as opposed to real fore-and-aft balance, for after all there is not fore-and-aft balance in our C7’s either.

Candidly as fvs illustrated, the C7 looks like it is too far rearward balanced, sitting staid with its weight on its back feet as compared to a the C8 appearing ready to pounce forward.

Again so much is what we are used to. Give us three years to get used to the new ME look, and proper balance would be an interesting question to revisit.
The following 4 users liked this post by elegant:
Corvette_Nut (02-23-2019), firstvettesoon (02-23-2019), gthal (02-24-2019), Mike Campbell (02-26-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:18 PM
tcweidner
Racer

well ME cars are nothing new, and some to me are much better looking then others, and for me its usually due to nose size.

to me things like this factory 5 gtm is just a thing of beauty

Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mto

t.

Yes, that color is really nice!
Old 02-23-2019, 11:24 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Hey Jim. I gotta take the mule out to test that electronics fix. Ok but hold on let’s throw that spoiler and hood tach we got from JC Whitney on it first.

Yeah good Idea the guys over at Corvette Forum are gonna ****. 😂😂
The following 2 users liked this post by z06inVB:
firstvettesoon (02-23-2019), Foosh (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 04:39 AM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GundamX7X
Why did I google that. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...........you can't get fooled again.
George W. Bush reference?
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 AM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
Impressive!

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
Ok, now GM is just messing with us on the ridiculous number of spy shot opportunities, each with different camo.
But the rear looks better to me. I know the GM part pic shows a different bumper, but how cool would big rear vents like the Lexus LFA look?
Red67John (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
Mclaren said about one of their recent cars the 600lt that the middle of the spoiler does not do much. Maybe GM sees the same, I think the spoiler might be just fine.
The droop in the middle of the rear isn't particularly flattering to begin with. Accentuating it with an even droopier spoiler is just crazy.
BMadden (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
The droop in the middle of the rear isn't particularly flattering to begin with. Accentuating it with an even droopier spoiler is just crazy.
My ex-girlfriend was starting to droop in the rear...I definitely don't need that on a new Corvette.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
well ME cars are nothing new, and some to me are much better looking then others, and for me its usually due to nose size.

to me things like this factory 5 gtm is just a thing of beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbtFJvBzI_8
This is a great example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. For me that thing screams RICE, from the industrial-looking wing to the ridiculous array of hood vents to all the doodads popping out all over. Nothing elegant or refined... or beautiful... about it.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:46 PM
tcweidner
Racer

the ridiculous array of hood vents to all the doodads popping out all over. Nothing elegant or refined.
and yet you own a c7 which can be said to have the same "ridiculous array of hood vents to all the doodads popping out all over" ....curious..

and of course not all Factory Five gtm's are built out the same, but they do start as c5s

Last edited by tcweidner; 02-24-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:05 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I've already said, but I'll say it again, this circled part of the "door vent" is an exaggerated piece just stuck in place. I'll bet there's hardly anything on the actual door, once revealed.

Regarding the front bumper, this looks like a pool noodle cut in half. It's not going to look this exaggerated or pronounced on production. Same goes for the lower lip area.

Lastly this part is so obviously pieces just stuck in place by tape or the wrap itself, all to break up the diffuser area and the rest of the bumper... To be honest it looks like cardboard haha. So no the rear end absolutely has "clever" bits still tacked in place, as with the rest of the car. Also I absolutely believe there's a retractable spoiler, but they needed to hide it with that hideous caricature of the C7 split spoiler.

Looking forward to the reveal.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:06 PM
HEC13
Mrzeta06
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

looks like its some kind of hood tach like some old school muscle cars came with.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Since the C2 and 3 were influenced by Italian designs, you would think italian Americans would be amongst best car designers in America, Lets hope that when the covers are off, we will gasp with joy. The back of the car is shockingly ugly. No Italians were involved with this horror.

Vomit

IronV (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:37 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Since the C2 and 3 were influenced by Italian designs, you would think italian Americans would be amongst best car designers in America, Lets hope that when the covers are off, we will gasp with joy. The back of the car is shockingly ugly. No Italians were involved with this horror.

Vomit

Look at those beautiful round tail lights. Love em.
The following 2 users liked this post by thirtythird:
IronV (02-25-2019), Shaka (02-24-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:04 AM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Since the first mules came out and showed the ugly spoiler I then said to my wife that I don't believe that spoiler for one second. Just like NVUSGT said above, I have always felt that a retractable spoiler would be on the C8.
Just a few more weeks and I think we will know. The back end will look so much better once that ugly spoiler is removed, especially as you view the car approaching and you see the tail curve back and down as opposed to drooping and uneven.
I am confident that the car will be awesome, there is no way that they will come out with a ME Corvette after 40 years of talk and have it look less than awesome. Let's be patient, just chill for a few more weeks and hopefully we will be overjoyed with excitement.
Cheers,

Get notified of new replies

To *** New Spy Shots *** : Mid Engine C8 Production Lights

Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Since the first mules came out and showed the ugly spoiler I then said to my wife that I don't believe that spoiler for one second. Just like NVUSGT said above, I have always felt that a retractable spoiler would be on the C8.
Just a few more weeks and I think we will know. The back end will look so much better once that ugly spoiler is removed, especially as you view the car approaching and you see the tail curve back and down as opposed to drooping and uneven.
I am confident that the car will be awesome, there is no way that they will come out with a ME Corvette after 40 years of talk and have it look less than awesome. Let's be patient, just chill for a few more weeks and hopefully we will be overjoyed with excitement.
Cheers,

Some time ago, I kind of said the same. That the spoiler may be added to throw us all off if in fact it will be active aero and not that JC Whitney slop.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Some time ago, I kind of said the same. That the spoiler may be added to throw us all off if in fact it will be active aero and not that JC Whitney slop.
It looks like ****, but it doesn't look like something made out of cardboard and taped on to deceive. It looks like a finished piece.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

For those who don't check in here every day:

1. We've already seen the production tail lights on the C8R test car. These photos confirm that.

2. We know what the front fascia actually looks like from Nurgurgring testing. All these foam fish lip stuff is just to conceal the car while testing stateside. The CAD shots of the frunk and horn locations confirm side mount cooling inlets.

The items of interest are:

1. What is that bump thing on the hood? I assume some kind of auxiliary gauge for the test drivers, but why outside of the car?

2. Clearly there is some tom foolery going on with the side cove. I feel the final shape will be a rounded cove reminiscent of the 2nd gen C1.

Wish:

I wish GM would use exhaust finishers molded into the rear fascia for this car. I read an article once that the GM engineers said Corvette "would never" have exhaust finishers, but IMO they ensure perfect visual tip alignment and lower the coast of aftermarket exhausts. Just my $0.02 these new square tips will make alignment with the opening critical because they have straight edges whereas a round or oval tip is more forgiving.

Quick Reply: *** New Spy Shots *** : Mid Engine C8 Production Lights