Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The Corvette will never "devour" the 911 for one reason:

Husband: Honey, I'm going to buy a Corvette!
Wife: But where will you put the baby seat?
Husband: Ummmm, next to me in the passenger seat?
Wife: [Stern look]
Husband: Well, I guess it can wait.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 03-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The Corvette will never "devour" the 911 for one reason:

Husband: Honey, I'm going to buy a Corvette!
Wife: But where will you put the baby seat?
Husband: Ummmm, in next to be in the passenger seat?
Wife: [Stern look]
Husband: Well, I guess it can wait.
I made the same comments when Firebirds exceeded the cost of a Bonneville. Frowny face dad and smile mom leaving in their new Bonneville.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Nice leathered cabin on old platform? LOL! So many engineering improvements cant even start. As owner of c7 Z and GT3 I get to compare all the time. I'll say to you what I say to all my fine friends in my corvette club, please come over and drive my GT3. Its the first auto I would ever consider owning, it has the twin disc PDK trans. Game changer and you simply have to drive one. So much so I'm holding off buying ME until I can confirm rumors that it might have twin disk. Porsche is the most dedicated passionate car builder on planet and that shows up first time you get the PCA publication Panarama. First time you walk into dealership. First time you visit a Porsche concourse.
Corvette has all doo dads that americans have to have, heads up, vented seats, etc etc. But lots more plastic and less quality build. Porsche is a more purpose built car and one that you sit in and not just sit on. However the shear HP and Torque in the Z06 is so damn addicting and smooth it keeps me coming back time and again. Obviously I'm in love with both and its not a dream its more of a curse!
Seems like a lot of people on the Corvette forum are not aware of Porsche's biggest strength. I have had the opportunity to drive a few Porsches, either test driving or the keys handed to me by friends. One thing Porsche is so good at is refining a car to the maximum. I drove a Cayman recently, and the steering, shifter, clutch, the human machine interfaces, were all built like precision instruments. It was really eye opening. It only had a four cylinder engine. It was probably the worst sounding engine I have ever heard. However, I purposely tried to get it to drone and go into resonance vibration, and it wouldn't. They engineered it out. I don't think I have ever driven a four cylinder that I couldn't get some drone or resonance vibration out of it. Driving the Cayman, you felt like the car was built by perfectionists, people who obsess over details. Inside and outside, panel gaps were tight.

Chevrolet doesn't build the Corvette like that. Their focus is performance, looks, features, and value. It's not precision engineering. Corvettes have soul. Porsches are more clinical. I personally am more focused on having a big V8, so I own Corvettes, but I do recommend if you get the chance to drive a Porsche sports car, do it. It's a great experience.

Last edited by Michael A; 03-02-2019 at 01:15 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Michael A:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-02-2019), bgspot (03-06-2019), Foosh (03-02-2019), isellpower (03-07-2019), klavrack (03-21-2019), zcobra1 (03-04-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:38 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
I made the same comments when Firebirds exceeded the cost of a Bonneville. Frowny face dad and smile mom leaving in their new Bonneville.
Birds always have had rear seats; 2+2 coupes.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Seems like a lot of people on the Corvette forum are not aware of Porsche's biggest strength. I have had the opportunity to drive a few Porsches, either test driving or the keys handed to me by friends. One thing Porsche is so good at is refining a car to the maximum. I drove a Cayman recently, and the steering, shifter, clutch, the human machine interfaces, were all built like precision instruments. It was really eye opening. It only had a four cylinder engine. It was probably the worst sounding engine I have ever heard. However, I purposely tried to get it to drone and go into resonance vibration, and it wouldn't. They engineered it out. I don't think I have ever driven a four cylinder that I couldn't get some drone or resonance vibration out of it. Driving the Cayman, you felt like the car was built by perfectionists, people who obsess over details. Inside and outside, panel gaps were tight.

Chevrolet doesn't build the Corvette like that. Their focus is performance, looks, features, and value. It's not precision engineering. Corvettes have soul. Porsches are more clinical. I personally am more focused on having a big V8, so I own Corvettes, but I do recommend if you get the chance to drive a Porsche sports car, do it. It's a great experience.
Superb comparative analysis and right on target, Michael A.
RPGR90s (03-12-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:48 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

So true. You should have driven my flat six Cayman. It has the most glorious engine I've ever experienced. It didn't have the torque of a SBC, but on twisty roads where I could rev it out it was perfect. No harmonics, no vibration, only power and song.

With GM products, there's always some character flaw where I think, "that's where the accountants stepped in and ended development." I sure hope the C8 doesn't have too many of those...
Old 03-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

As an owner of both, I couldn’t agree more with your articulation of the attributes of both cars. Well said!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Very well said and I fully agree with the above. The 911 exemplifies precision assembly and it is the car outright strength. To some, that translates (whether objectively or subjectively) into other positive attributes.
I actually do understand that very well and I do understand THAT alone may mean everything to some.

Inevitably the contentions arises when precision alone is portrayed as an indication of (or evidence of) superior street performance (the subject of this thread), comfort performance, build quality performance and what have you... to include price tag/cost performance.

The "precision" argument was settled a long time ago when it was proven that indeed $10 quartz watch performs time keeping better than a $10K swiss with precision diamond gears..

IMHO within this context, an AMG GT is a superb modern choice of precision and performance.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
As an owner of both, I couldn’t agree more with your articulation of the attributes of both cars. Well said!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Why not try? It would contribute to this thread immensely.

So far you listed one: PDK (introduced in 2009). Great for low - mid torque cars. Incompatible (to date) with high torque cars like Corvette Z06 and ZR1.

I am glad you mentioned the GT3 (congratulations BTW!) That "high revving" experience is very tempting but the car also exemplifies the costs required to make it a mid field contender to keep up with the competition: 490 SAE HP 329 lb-ft for $200K and like you said no

So a very exciting high rev zing zing toy with 30 more HP and 136 LESS torque of a base C7 for a mere 140K premium.

I am not trying to belittle your very nice car. Just rational numbers to illustrate the older "that lady" ages the more it needs to look good...

Cheers
Careful about your comparison between a GT3 and a C7...your starting to show your blinders. A base level 991.2 will match acceleration numbers with a base C7. The S version will exceed the base C7 or Grand Sport and gets close to Z06 numbers. Porsche’s are underrated by the factory on their performance numbers and they are far superior in accelerating from a dig than the traction limited Corvette. As a result, they actually have good 60 and quarter times. They flat hook up with their rear weight bias. However, this is really not what a 911 or Corvette is about in my opinion. For me, it’s about performance, but also the entire overall driving experience and feel I get every time I drive the car. In this respect, I favor the 911. About any person knowledgeable about cars would give their left nut to have a GT3 as they are a different level than a Chevrolet Corvette. You are obviously a Corvette enthusiast and that’s fine. Just realize their are also many who are car enthusiasts that are able to take a step back and appreciate different cars for what they offer and aren’t satisfied with just anyone flavor.
Zaro Tundov (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yoda would say "A broken Record You Are".

Your 2017 0-60 911.1 S egregious performance claims have been proven false along with your unsubstantiated claims that Porsche intentionally under reports performance by a whooping 35-45% margin of error.

Like stated, the only proven under reporting Porsche has done is in the area of carbon emissions.

Like I stated several times. All myths have expiration dates and the ones you continue to promulgate infinitum are really starting to decay and stink no matter how much you keep spraying them with your sugarly delivery.

Let's see now what your friend ByBy has to say on the subject. LoL!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Your 2017 0-60 911.1 S egregious performance claims have been proven false along with your unsubstantiated claims that Porsche intentionally under reports performance by a whooping 35-45% margin of error.

Like stated, the only proven under reporting Porsche has done is in the area of carbon emissions.

Like I stated several times. All myths have expiration dates and the ones you continue to promulgate infinitum are really starting to decay and stink no matter how much you keep spraying them with your sugarly delivery.

Thats funny. I thought you were the broken record! I understand you a Corvette fan.....but their are other cars as good or better than a Corvette. You should take off the blinders and explore. You might discover a whole new world.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
isellpower (03-07-2019), sam90lx (03-23-2019), Zaro Tundov (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Please back up your claims with something other than your opinion. Car and Driver and other testers have published the numbers.....not I. Feel free to bend the data to match your reality😏. Also a 2017 is a 991.2.....perhaps you misread some of your research😎. It appears your the minority at this point in your views. Sorry my man!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Darn...you are Yoda!

This thread so far has 33 posts (counting your 911 sales pitches) and 1769 views.

I shoul-da, woul-da, coul-da....Do you really think I care about your motherly 911 pontificating?

1769 views...I say let's keep at it "mom" at let the chips fall were they may...

FUN...... no!?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:59 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Comparing the Corvette to an upside down bathtub does not seem to me to be a fair comparison.
Upside down bath tub, too funny but so true. Those things still just smack "Punch Buggy" when you see them. It always amuses me how the Porsche defenders of the faith circle the wagons every time the taboo subject of performance differentials are discussed or even mentioned. All of a sudden its about "build quality" and a raft of other totally unquantifiable , intangible parameters which is really not much more than BS.

Who would want the most performance for their money? I guess there are guys out there who want the one with the best stitching of the interior when looked over with a 10 power loop, yes indeed. Those things matter when you show off your new snob mobile to the Country Club boys.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Please back up your claims with something other than your opinion. Car and Driver and other testers have published the numbers.....not I. Feel free to bend the data to match your reality😏. Also a 2017 is a 991.2.....perhaps you misread some of your research😎. It appears your the minority at this point in your views. Sorry my man!
Off by 0.1 (1% error). You are still off in the 35%-45% range. So much for German precision ownership. I say drop the pay to play magazines and refresh on math.

https://www.dw.com/en/flight-risk-po...dal/a-43471845

https://www.businessinsider.com/r-po...ys-2018-4?IR=T

https://www.businessinsider.de/volks...18-4?r=US&IR=T
Old 03-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Darn...you are Yoda!

This thread so far has 33 posts (counting your 911 sales pitches) and 1769 views.

I shoul-da, woul-da, coul-da....Do you really think I care about your motherly 911 pontificating?

1769 views...I say let's keep at it "mom" at let the chips fall were they may...

FUN...... no!?
Funny thing is I don’t give a rip if you care or not. Sorry if you thought I did! I am just happy you love what you can hopefully afford. BTW, 0-60 is 3.1 on a 991.2 S and it’s only 420 HP. What do you think about that Professor 😏. Just messing with you since I can always count on you to give a cork screwed response that supports your belief system. It’s a slow Sunday keep them coming! What kind of stupid points are you trying to make on your last post? Completely irrelevant.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Old 03-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Upside down bath tub, too funny but so true. Those things still just smack "Punch Buggy" when you see them. It always amuses me how the Porsche defenders of the faith circle the wagons every time the taboo subject of performance differentials are discussed or even mentioned. All of a sudden its about "build quality" and a raft of other totally unquantifiable , intangible parameters which is really not much more than BS.

Who would want the most performance for their money? I guess there are guys out there who want the one with the best stitching of the interior when looked over with a 10 power loop, yes indeed. Those things matter when you show off your new snob mobile to the Country Club boys.
Punky......you’re a mess😏. By your definition a Hellcat is better than a Corvette. Do you actually read what you post? But you are right when you say “ who wouldn’t want the most performance they can get for their money?” That WOULD be a Corvette. But their is better if you are willing to spend the money. Are you really as blue collar as you sound or is it just a front?

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 12:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
isellpower (03-07-2019), vrybad (03-11-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Punky......you’re a mess😏. By your definition a Hellcat is better than a Corvette. Do you actually read what you post?
Sounds like you are having a rough morning there DR. You've got 2 consecutive posts where you find the need to beat down anyone who would dare to question the superiority of the 911.

I read well thank you very much. I said performance not just straight line metrics. It is obviously you who needs to polish their comprehension skills or are you blinded by insecurity when some of question the 911 which is obviously quite dear to your heart.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
Sounds like you are having a rough morning there DR. You've got 2 consecutive posts where you find the need to beat down anyone who would dare to question the superiority of the 911.

I read well thank you very much. I said performance not just straight line metrics. It is obviously you who needs to polish their comprehension skills or are you blinded by insecurity when some of question the 911 which is obviously quite dear to your heart.
I beat down anyone close minded enough to think there is nothing better than what they drive. I think both the Corvette and 911 are great cars, as well as many cars that I can never afford. It just baffles me on how individuals can be so blinded by their loyalty. However, I am sure GM loves you. I am simply not brand loyal and the car has to earn my business. Again, I am not arguing your choice so don’t argue mine. Having owned both I like the 911 better as compared to the C7. It’s okay if you like the C7 better!

Quick Reply: Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911