Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Funny thing is I don’t give a rip if you care or not. Sorry if you thought I did! I am just happy you love what you can hopefully afford. BTW, 0-60 is 3.1 on a 991.2 S and it’s only 420 HP. What do you think about that Professor ��. Just messing with you since I can always count on you to give a cork screwed response that supports your belief system. It’s a slow Sunday keep them coming! What kind of stupid points are you trying to make on your last post? Completely irrelevant.
Amen Brother. Nothing to be sorry as I have as much empathy for your demographic insecurities as the ones portrayed by the proverbial pretender. I am glad you reached your 911 3.1 nirvana and now you spew it here on the corvette forum for Entertainment.

BTY..I think on one of your post you asked me to back up my confutation of your claim that Porsche's does under report their performance claims.

And I did by showing that three separate Porsche's executives were arrested for fraud and criminal advertising of performance claims.

You did not read that on Car and Driver?

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Amen Brother. Nothing to be sorry as I have as much emphaty for your demographic insecurities as the ones portrayed by the proverbial pretender. I am glad you reached your 911 3.1 nirvana and now you spew it here on the corvette forum for Entertainment.

BTY..I think on one of your post you asked me to back up my confutation of your claim that Porsche's does under report their performance claims.

And I did by showing that three separate Porsche's executives were arrested for fraud and criminal advertising of performance claims.

Interesting.....I guess I didn’t realize these executives worked for the various car reviewers. Are you saying they work for Car and Driver and were arrested for putting out the false performance times? Educate me more please? They are all about emissions?????

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Lets put this debate to rest by saying a Chevy is a Chevy and it will never be an upper tier car....even though it may have very good performance numbers. The reason being.....GM is hamstrung by many Corvette buyers that demand the Corvette costs no more than a loaded Chevrolet half ton pick up. My new 2019 GMC Sierra was $65,000 and that is the price most would like the C8 to come in at. Let’s get real. GM has done a tremendous job with the price point they have to work with.....but it will never be the level of the upper end sports cars as a total package.....or what GM could make it if they were to start the entry level at $100,000 as does Porsche with their base 911 Carrera. From there Porsche goes to well over a $1M for their cars. Knock Porsche all day if it makes you feel better but that doesn’t change the fact that GM needs to up their game with the C8 and charge accordingly.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:05 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
I beat down anyone close minded enough to think there is nothing better than what they drive. I think both the Corvette and 911 are great cars, as well as many cars that I can never afford. It just baffles me on how individuals can be so blinded by their loyalty. However, I am sure GM loves you. I am simply not brand loyal and the car has to earn my business. Again, I am not arguing your choice so don’t argue mine. Having owned both I like the 911 better as compared to the C7. It’s okay if you like the C7 better!
It is so nice when guys like you educate us simple Corvette folk on how a $300,000(+) 911 can outperform an $80,000 Z06. You really know your stuff!
Old 03-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by punky
It is so nice when guys like you educate us simple Corvette folk on how a $300,000(+) 911 can outperform an $80,000 Z06. You really know your stuff!
Not a problem, it’s my pleasure! There are only a few that need educated. Most are very bright! Yes......a lot of nice cars cost more than a Corvette with similar performance. You must think you are much smarter than those owners as well. We ARE making progress. Hang in there....I am willing to spend whatever time is necessary so move at your own pace. Bring Telepierre with you to class the next time. Will be fun.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:34 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Amen Brother. Nothing to be sorry as I have as much empathy for your demographic insecurities as the ones portrayed by the proverbial pretender. I am glad you reached your 911 3.1 nirvana and now you spew it here on the corvette forum for Entertainment.

Very interesting indeed to hear that THREE Porsche execs. were arrested for fraudulent claims about the Porsches performance. I guess when the cars actual, real world metrics fail to substantiate the products nose bleed if not ludicrous price levels then you have no recourse other than to flat out lie about the car's capabilities. Painfully reminiscent of Volkswagen's nefarious activities. Could it possibly be that these imports are nothing like what the auto press claims them to be after they are showered with their advertising dollars? The Porsche humpers blind allegiance to the these vehicles is laughable.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Very interesting indeed to hear that THREE Porsche execs. were arrested for fraudulent claims about the Porsches performance. I guess when the cars actual, real world metrics fail to substantiate the products nose bleed if not ludicrous price levels then you have no recourse other than to flat out lie about the car's capabilities. Painfully reminiscent of Volkswagen's nefarious activities. Could it possibly be that these imports are nothing like what the auto press claims them to be after they are showered with their advertising dollars? The Porsche humpers blind allegiance to the these vehicles is laughable.
Boys....we are talking emission standards, not anything major like electrical issues that have delayed production or something. Now that would be much more devastating to a car builders credibility.....and who would want one of those? Could catch fire or something. Come on....you both can surly pool your knowledge and do better than than. Pretty weak at best!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 03-03-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:10 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

I wonder what most will buy a butt ugly German car or an American icon, ok not a hard decision .What German cars have appreciated in price as some classic corvettes.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Many classic 911s have appreciated substantially over original price. Moreover, new ones hold their values better than almost anything else.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
ByByBMW (03-04-2019), isellpower (03-07-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:03 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
Birds always have had rear seats; 2+2 coupes.
1954-55 Birds had only 2 seats.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Foosh
Many classic 911s have appreciated substantially over original price. Moreover, new ones hold their values better than almost anything else.
Their GT cars which are a very small percentage of the total Porsche annual production do hold well but this is a very small number of cars. The rest of their stuff gets hammered just like everything else. Guys on the Porsche boards scream about depreciation on new 911s which can be to the tune of $2500/month.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Three executives! of which one #3 in the chain and let's not forget the US Porsche VP swindling GT cars deposits out of the poor 911 brand aficionados! And this is supposed to be an upper class brand!? :-)
Besides interesting, the details of the whole criminal legal case reveal the Porsche leadership's Machiavellian culture of the last few years.

Maybe it is VWs culture working its way down or maybe competition it's getting to them but the idea to design and install spoofing software and car weight tables to cheat both diesel and gas tests lies squarely with Porsche's performance division and I don't think that is the kind of "performance" they should R&D!?

It does not end there, look at what the Porsche marketing division conflated for the ring GT cars. Classical example of "better beg for forgiveness later than permission now!"
I mean read this con job conflated as marketing masterpiece: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-911-gt2-rs-record-nuerburgring-nordschleife-sports-cars-road-approved-14277.html

"Road Approved Car"!?? (legal term is Production Car). legalese term used to field prototypes under the EU 20 models rule. Car stripped of FMVSS systems.

CUP 2 Tires" BS!!! They actually used one time non OEM track prototype tires (also for marketing magazines) later conflated as CUP 2 R that have yet (2 year on) materialize in the market! Tire Rack uses the con to down sell you regular CUP 2s LOL!

A/C, Infotainment, communication bus/OEM deletes that turn out to be not OEM at all. They cleverly take it out for the test but then come time to order...sorry those options are on permanent constraint. Clever!

Weissach package worth of 65 pounds of weight savings for the ring that turn into 30 pounds for the production car.

Yeah, the GTs ring saga is becoming comical! Admittedly Lambo's are getting the same treatment.

And like we don't have enough personalities of our own.. now I have to explain to magazine marketing addicted souls why the real GT2RS has problems with C7 Z06s or why the 2017 911 S is neither a 3.1 nor a 2.8 second car no matter where the frigging engine sits!!

We live in bizzarro world...very hard to stay honest.

Cheers

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-04-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:29 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Porsche humper bashing of the Corvette seems to be quite a bit more aggressive as we get closer to the reveal of the C8. This behavior is fueled by insecurity over the C8s expected performance and true mid engine layout vs the 911s archaic pint sized motor in the trunk. We are sure to hear a good bit more about Porsches perceived lead in the "fit and finish" department.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

"Porsche humper."

The tribalism of Corvette enthusiasts is so cute.

Not that it matters, but I literally sold my Cayman last fall in expectation of buying a C8. I'm able to desire a C8 for what I hope it will do brilliantly while simultaneously acknowledging that GM quality is junk and Porsche engineering and build quality is among the best in the world. I admire a variety of cars for what they do best, that's what's so great about cars, they don't lock you into a single brand the way some companies do (for example, my love/hate relationship with Apple). After a few years with my C8 I expect I'll try another sports car. You only live once.

Now if you're into "humping" your Corvette, well, I can see how a monogamous relationship could develop.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:19 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
"Porsche humper."

The tribalism of Corvette enthusiasts is so cute.

Not that it matters, but I literally sold my Cayman last fall in expectation of buying a C8. I'm able to desire a C8 for what I hope it will do brilliantly while simultaneously acknowledging that GM quality is junk and Porsche engineering and build quality is among the best in the world. I admire a variety of cars for what they do best, that's what's so great about cars, they don't lock you into a single brand the way some companies do (for example, my love/hate relationship with Apple). After a few years with my C8 I expect I'll try another sports car. You only live once.

Now if you're into "humping" your Corvette, well, I can see how a monogamous relationship could develop.
You sold your Cayman? Good idea. I had 2 Porsches many years ago and that will never happen again.

You want to buy a C8 but you claim that GM quality is "junk"? That makes all the sense in the world. Interesting to note that a Porsche enthusiast is here explaining to us Corvette guys down here in the bilge water what "junk" our cars are. You Porsche humpers are nauseating.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

You sold your Cayman? Good idea. I had 2 Porsches many years ago and that will never happen again.

You want to buy a C8 but you claim that GM quality is "junk"? That makes all the sense in the world. Interesting to note that a Porsche enthusiast is here explaining to us Corvette guys down here in the bilge water what "junk" our cars are. You Porsche humpers are nauseating.
So it's not enough that I'll buy a C8, I must also enter a state of denial about the quality of American cars?

Will you take me to your cult leader when the time is right?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:20 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

I can resolve this...

"You have cooties!"...

"No, you have cooties!"

"No, you have cooties!"

"No, he has cooties!"

"No, HE has cooties!"

Glad thats been solved

Get notified of new replies

To Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Old 03-04-2019, 02:00 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
So it's not enough that I'll buy a C8, I must also enter a state of denial about the quality of American cars?

Will you take me to your cult leader when the time is right?
You talk about how wonderful the quality of Porsches are and bash American cars calling Corvettes junk. Why then would you sell your wonderful Cayman in favor of a junk Corvette. You are either quite confused or just here to troll and bash American cars, Corvette in particular.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:45 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah, it would be nice if the C8 was better than the 911, but I think it is wishful thinking. Whenever a competitor's car gets close, Porsche ups then ante w/ their car to stay in front. You are paying a premium for the Porsche to buy and to maintain. They are great cars. Corvette is a great car, but there are different levels of greatness. Some like the looks, others don't. Admittedly, I was never a big fan of their looks, but have since changed my mind. I like the Cayman and the Carrera's looks.

Thirty years ago, a tiny yellow sports car described as “frog-looking” by a Ferrari executive, took the world by storm when it set the world record as the fastest production car for its time.

All we can do is wait for the C8 and see how it stacks up against the competition.
The following users liked this post:
isellpower (03-07-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

You talk about how wonderful the quality of Porsches are and bash American cars calling Corvettes junk. Why then would you sell your wonderful Cayman in favor of a junk Corvette. You are either quite confused or just here to troll and bash American cars, Corvette in particular.
I'm from a GM family and I've driven GM products my entire life. I know what they are.

And you're right, the Cayman is a wonderful sports car - among the best in the world. I believe the C8 will also be one of the best sports cars in the world, but in a different way. And as bad as GM reliability is, it's still better than Ferrari or Lamborghini, and you can surely understand why someone would want a Ferrari, yes?

Quick Reply: Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911