Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
I don't read everyone of the Dr's posts, possibly you do and have a more "credible" appraisal of his bias. I personally can't remember one where the "Dr" was not worshipping Porsche and trolling on Corvette.
I am pro Corvette and pro Porsche......if I wasn’t I wouldn’t buy them. As I have said a million times, they are BOTH great cars. Additionally, they both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Having owned both, I personally favor my current 911 over my past C7. The ONLY two sports cars I would really entertain in the future are both the Corvette and 911. Again, I will put my money soon on either the ME C8 or 992 depending which I like best.....as I am NOT brand loyal to ANY car! The only reason I toss back Corvette imperfection is because some on this forum are quick to bash other great cars simply because they are not a Corvette. Hell, no car is perfect and at the end of the day they are not all that important in the scheme of life.....however family and friends are!
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr. ice:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-15-2019), ByByBMW (03-15-2019), isellpower (03-27-2019), msm859 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:21 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
I am pro Corvette and pro Porsche......if I wasn’t I wouldn’t buy them. As I have said a million times, they are BOTH great cars. Additionally, they both have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Having owned both, I personally favor my current 911 over my past C7. The ONLY two sports cars I would really entertain in the future are both the Corvette and 911. Again, I will put my money soon on either the ME C8 or 992 depending which I like best.....as I am NOT brand loyal to ANY car! The only reason I toss back Corvette imperfection is because some on this forum are quick to bash other great cars simply because they are not a Corvette. Hell, no car is perfect and at the end of the day they are not all that important in the scheme of life.....however family and friends are!
Well that sounds good Dude. Its your cash, enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by punky
Well that sounds good Dude. Its your cash, enjoy!
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 AM
Johnuf78
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve owned several Porsche’s and recently picked up a Z06. Had a 2018 GT3 and recently traded that for a 2019 GT3 RS. Before the GT3’s also owned various 911GTS and currently still have a 991.1 GTS Targa. Where the Porsche really shines is their launch control and PDK transmission. I don’t doubt that my GT3RS and previous GT3 is faster than my Z06. It just has better traction off the line and the transmission just shifts much much quicker. The Porsche overall just has a tighter feel and more feedback in the steering. It’s an easier car to drive fast. With that being said, the Z06 is still a great car and half the price of the GT3. Bang for the buck it’s probably the best performance car out there. Maybe the GT3 isn’t twice as good as the Z06 but overall it’s still the better car in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnuf78:
ByByBMW (03-18-2019), isellpower (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:32 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Track records are very fragile things. Be interesting to see this years Lighting Laps to see if they change again. The Road Atlanta track record just changed twice in the same day.

The Dodge Viper ACR held till last year when the ZR 1 broke it. In Mid March of this year a Porsche GT3 RS broke it then a short time later a Porsche GT2 RS set a new record. Randy Pobst drove both cars. He also held the previous record in the Corvette.

Really think the RWD FE Corvette is maxed out & the C8 should get AWD at some point, the earlier the better in its production cycle.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
ByByBMW (03-27-2019), Dr. ice (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM
nunii
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Track records are very fragile things. Be interesting to see this years Lighting Laps to see if they change again. The Road Atlanta track record just changed twice in the same day.

The Dodge Viper ACR held till last year when the ZR 1 broke it. In Mid March of this year a Porsche GT3 RS broke it then a short time later a Porsche GT2 RS set a new record. Randy Pobst drove both cars. He also held the previous record in the Corvette.

Really think the RWD FE Corvette is maxed out & the C8 should get AWD at some point, the earlier the better in its production cycle.
how do you like them apples 🍎 Porsche only needs 520 hp to beat the zr1 740hp and these cars aren’t really that far off in price!
isellpower (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

If the C8 only came with a DCT and AWD, I'm the **** Out.

Hello Porsche.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

After the latest leaks showed no manual in the C8 and we found out the new 911 will come not only manual but also naturally aspirated the C8 is out of the picture for me. I'm still curious what GM will come up with but I won't buy it.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by nunii
how do you like them apples �� Porsche only needs 520 hp to beat the zr1 740hp and these cars aren’t really that far off in price!
Crazy how well sorted out the GT3 RS and 2 RS are. For me though the GT3 RS really is amazing with 520 HP and RWD, would be my choice of the two. I was a bit curious about the tires, the article I read made mention of them so I looked em up on Tire Rack. I'm not implying the time is a result of the tire here, was just curious about cost, how about $3750 for a set, damn! Lol

PC

Last edited by Darion; 03-27-2019 at 09:17 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (03-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:37 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by nunii
how do you like them apples 🍎 Porsche only needs 520 hp to beat the zr1 740hp and these cars aren’t really that far off in price!
Think if GM can keep the weight down with ME & AWD they can have a real winner with the C8 without a mega motor.
ArmchairArchitect (03-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 11:31 PM
Rinaldo Catria
Drifting

Received 729 Likes on 418 Posts

The laws of physics should make the C8 a better performing sports car. But then those same laws should have killed the 911 long ago. From a racing perspective, the C8.R should be better in most regards over the C7.R except that the Balance of Performance system will mute that. So it will come down to reliability and execution, which has had more to do with Corvettes dominence in IMSA than anything else. The new car will be a real challenge in the early years for the team to duplicate their consistency. I know they are ready for the challenge but it will be a heavy lift IMO. Too damn bad the Ford GT won’t be there next year for us to see that match up.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:07 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnuf78
I’ve owned several Porsche’s and recently picked up a Z06. Had a 2018 GT3 and recently traded that for a 2019 GT3 RS. Before the GT3’s also owned various 911GTS and currently still have a 991.1 GTS Targa. Where the Porsche really shines is their launch control and PDK transmission. I don’t doubt that my GT3RS and previous GT3 is faster than my Z06. It just has better traction off the line and the transmission just shifts much much quicker. The Porsche overall just has a tighter feel and more feedback in the steering. It’s an easier car to drive fast. With that being said, the Z06 is still a great car and half the price of the GT3. Bang for the buck it’s probably the best performance car out there. Maybe the GT3 isn’t twice as good as the Z06 but overall it’s still the better car in my opinion.
I respect this opinion. The reality is, when someone is shopping for a sports car, they have have a budget in mind. At a budget of $100k, one could buy a Z06, or a base 911. The performance winner is clear between those two cars. Apples to apples.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 03-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Rapid Fred (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

I know it's price reflects it but if checy could get the build quality even close to Porsche it would be huge.

Ever take a 911 apart? Compare it to your vette and it's laughable. One is built like a tank, the other like a soap box derby car..

But at least it's cheap!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:50 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Gotta love it when the experts and trolls weigh in about "build quality". Half of them probably couldn,t change a tire and only know what they read in car magazines. I'm sure a lot of these guys buy a new 911 and take it apart. LOL!

911 is built like a tank they say. Really? How many tanks weigh 3400 lbs?

Guys pay these crazy prices for their 911 snob mobiles and just figure that they have to be better. Why don't they perform better?
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
bgspot (03-29-2019), desmophile (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
I respect this opinion. The reality is, when someone is shopping for a sports car, they have have a budget in mind. At a budget of $100k, one could buy a Z06, or a base 911. The performance winner is clear between those two cars. Apples to apples.
couple of neighbors have a new 911 4 s convertible and the other a 911 gts with the retractable targa...

its like their third or fourth new porsche...

they like corvettes and respect them....and the pricing is tempting them to consider corvettes next time around.

these guys are multi millionaires and nice guys...we laugh , we shoot the breeze about sports cars sometimes...

only on the corvette forum do porsche owners hate corvettes ...lol

the proce of most porsche 911 s are reaching upwards of 140 grand with usual or selected options...

the service outsode of warranty can be bend over time at the porsche dealer too..

even the wealthy dont always like being raped for service charges..

the one with the 911s awd convertible is considering a mclaren 720 next time...lol so go figure...

i laugh because back in 1998 his red convertible c5 z51 was the car that got me interested in corvettes and to order my first corvette the summer of 1998 as a 1999 red z51 coupe..,

amother buddy of mine has a 911 ...and was interested in the c7 z06 but picked up a f430 that he doesnt really love to drive too much but enjoys the ferrari club events etc..

all three great guys...

like I mentioned only on the internet do porsche guys dislike corvettes...

lets face it....the corvette has a slight image issue from the disco era and the wives prefer euro exotic husband cars more so than the less exotic corvettes...

for those who care they buy the ger,an or italian...for those who dont really care about what their woves think about their cars....they tend to buy corvettes...

performance wise corvettes rule for the most part...gove a take a lap time or to considering near pricing...(im just kidding about the wife story)

although my wife does wish after three new corvettes...id buy a jaguar f type or an alfa 4c or a porsche..

i test drove the jagiar and the porsche and drove my corvette all in the same day...

to give my opinion...i prefer the corvette better..

i wanted to like the jaguar f type with the supercharged v8 but it was more like a great sports sedan wrapped in a sexy two seat body...

the porsche was nice but it didnt ring my bell...

there is something raw about the motor in the corvette. That makes me laugh a little louder everytime I drive mine...

i did admire the immediate turn in on the porsche and the pdk was cool...

no wrong choices here
Old 03-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I could careless about the 911 but would really love to see the car stomp the $hit out of the GTR. Everybody pretty much pissed them selves when the C6 ZR1 was put up against the GTR and it was determined the ZR1 was the slower,car never mind the fact the GTR is AWD while the Z is not.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Think if GM can keep the weight down with ME & AWD they can have a real winner with the C8 without a mega motor.
I agree with this other than AWD, It just adds weight. My turbo was much better on the track when I ditched the front diff and everthing with it, then added a 997 cup car LSD.
There is a reason the GT2, GT3RS's do not come with it. I would want the simplest, lightest RWD ME Corvette with a LT2

Ever take a 911 apart? Compare it to your vette and it's laughable. One is built like a tank, the other like a soap box derby car..

But at least it's cheap![/QUOTE]
I really liked working on the 911 It was easy and came apart really methodically, definitely built like a tank!

Get notified of new replies

To Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911

Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 PM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I agree!

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Nice leathered cabin on old platform? LOL! So many engineering improvements cant even start. As owner of c7 Z and GT3 I get to compare all the time. I'll say to you what I say to all my fine friends in my corvette club, please come over and drive my GT3. Its the first auto I would ever consider owning, it has the twin disc PDK trans. Game changer and you simply have to drive one. So much so I'm holding off buying ME until I can confirm rumors that it might have twin disk. Porsche is the most dedicated passionate car builder on planet and that shows up first time you get the PCA publication Panarama. First time you walk into dealership. First time you visit a Porsche concourse.
Corvette has all doo dads that americans have to have, heads up, vented seats, etc etc. But lots more plastic and less quality build. Porsche is a more purpose built car and one that you sit in and not just sit on. However the shear HP and Torque in the Z06 is so damn addicting and smooth it keeps me coming back time and again. Obviously I'm in love with both and its not a dream its more of a curse!
Me to!!!!
Although not a C7 (Z06-600+HP, coil overs, etc.) or a GT3 (the 50th anniversary Edition ain't hay), I totally agree with the above. When I drive the Z and show it, its all Z06 VY watch, 12 year old Corvette racing hat, sneakers,"Harley" shirt ...you get the picture. In the P-Car Concours, its driving shoes, and other "appropriate" attire. Poser? Hardly, however; what I am saying is that each vehicle just is different and I have a "different" good time in each. And if I can't decide on one or the other, I can always grab the wife's MID ENGINE M/T Cayman 981 and not worry a bit about the "Zora" being alive or not. Having too much fun thinking about how great it sounds having that screaming six sitting right behind my head!
Just sayin',,,,,
Old 03-29-2019, 12:18 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06801
I agree with this other than AWD, It just adds weight. My turbo was much better on the track when I ditched the front diff and everthing with it, then added a 997 cup car LSD.
Expect if its AWD it will be electric in front like the NSX. No differential, drive line etc. Would be heavier then a pure RWD version but expect 90+% of the drivers will have a better handling experience. Was really surprised, maybe I should not have been, at the variation in the level competence of people at HPDS.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:36 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by scootguy58
Me to!!!!
Although not a C7 (Z06-600+HP, coil overs, etc.) or a GT3 (the 50th anniversary Edition ain't hay), I totally agree with the above. When I drive the Z and show it, its all Z06 VY watch, 12 year old Corvette racing hat, sneakers,"Harley" shirt ...you get the picture. In the P-Car Concours, its driving shoes, and other "appropriate" attire. Poser? Hardly, however; what I am saying is that each vehicle just is different and I have a "different" good time in each. And if I can't decide on one or the other, I can always grab the wife's MID ENGINE M/T Cayman 981 and not worry a bit about the "Zora" being alive or not. Having too much fun thinking about how great it sounds having that screaming six sitting right behind my head!
Just sayin',,,,,
Yeah ,man. Interesting to hear how it is up in the Porsche clouds above from the regal hierarchy of the sports car world. God damn Sam! I'm going out and buy me up a cute pair or those groovy driving shoes and a six cylinder European hot rod. Can't wait to live the life! So good to hear that you split your time between the elite "P-car" folks and the Corvette swine.

Quick Reply: Why the Mid-Engine Corvette Will Devour the 911