Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
If you are not interested at all in what I have to say on this point, that is just fine. Please continue on to other topics. No need to invest your time in posting hateration just pointing out that you are not interested. (who would do that, you ask? Hmmm....yeah...good question! We may see them post here and identify themselves! )
Why the pre-emptive strike on people who may disagree with you? Do you really think you can govern what people post in response? If you don't have a very good argument, you can expect people to call you on it. That does not mean people "hate" on your ideas; they just think they're stupid. Disagreement does not equal hatred. To me it's an apples and oranges comparison and not valid on that level alone. Plus, of course, you're discussing a phantom C8 you've never seen. How can the C8 be "too little" when you've never seen it? How can it be "too late"? Are people rushing to Tesla and Porsche? I see no evidence of that mainly because they are not competitors in the marketplace. Your argument has little substance beyond opinion and can be easily dismissed as irrelevant.
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
bgspot (03-05-2019), Rapid Fred (03-04-2019), ShagVette (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Depends on what you mean by "embraced."

It's coming. The only question is when.
As an excellent NASA briefing articulates (link below), it's going to be a LONG time. Based on projected battery advancements in the future, an all electric aircraft would still be at least 3X the weight of today's most advanced high-bypass, turbofan powered aircraft of the same size. And weight is a show-stopper when it comes to practical commercial aircraft with enough range to be commercially viable.

The NASA briefing makes clear that zero-emission aircraft propulsion is going to require some sort of technology we don't even know about yet and that may not be primarily electric-based propulsion.

Future Alternative Aircraft Propulsion Technology

Last edited by Foosh; 03-02-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:41 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Why the pre-emptive strike on people who may disagree with you? Do you really think you can govern what people post in response? If you don't have a very good argument, you can expect people to call you on it. That does not mean people "hate" on your ideas; they just think they're stupid. Disagreement does not equal hatred. To me it's an apples and oranges comparison and not valid on that level alone. Plus, of course, you're discussing a phantom C8 you've never seen. How can the C8 be "too little" when you've never seen it? How can it be "too late"? Are people rushing to Tesla and Porsche? I see no evidence of that mainly because they are not competitors in the marketplace. Your argument has little substance beyond opinion and can be easily dismissed as irrelevant.
lots of good Points raised in this thread.

I wanted to specifically reply to the point directly above. .

I don’t have any problem with people disagreeing with my opinion. That’s fine. The preemptive move was against those who, in the past, took issue with simply using a video format to convey the opinion. So, no problem with disagreement or debate re: the cars. That’s quite fine...and interesting!
Old 03-02-2019, 04:50 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I liked the video, but as stated above, factoring in price on the Porsche, a highly modified C7, and a Tesla the same argument could be made against the C7 when it came out. The high end Porsche,highly modified C6 or a Tesla.would put the C7 Corvette "late" and "slow" to the show.

We all know how great the C7 is and even though it's not "king of the hill". It is one of the best "bang for the buck" sports cars out there (IMO). I'd wager the C8 will follow suit.

I am not a brand loyalist and appreciate all sports cars for what they bring to the table. With unlimited funds, I would probably not own a Corvette. A lot of cars out there are superior in build quality, and performance, but all are priced way beyond my means. That's not to say the Corvette isn't a fine car, it is. But to be fair, dollar for dollar, you'd be hard pressed to find a competitor that puts the Corvette to shame.

Base C8 will not beat a high end Porsche or a tricked out C7. Tesla is another animal all together. For a 4 door sedan and straight line acceleration it is "special" and could likely put some of those high end super cars to shame in a 0-60 1/4 mile run (if that is the benchmark one uses).

Again, not a hater nor a "fan boy", but one has to frame an argument fairly to make a valid point...

good points.

Just for reference, the C6 Z06 shocked the market, and outperformed many of these same expensive competitors. For example, it won the uk-based Top Gear “fast car of the year” award that year. Amazing. One of my favorite moments for Corvette, seeing Clarkson say it out loud!

I haven’t seen much to make me think the C8 will have the same impact...at least not the base. Maybe the Z06-like variant will have a chance!

Frankly, I am not expecting the C8 to be able to make that same impact...though I remain hopeful, because I am a huge Corvettr fan. The market is moving so fast!

On on the street, the Tesla performance models are for real. Track? Maybe not. Street - yes. Believe it.

Last edited by tonypittman; 03-02-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

And if you went back in a "time-machine" prior to C6 debut, you would see nothing to indicate the impact the C6 ultimately had. That's quite a logical disconnect above.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-02-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Tony,
Going beyond your "too late" guess, how do YOU know the C8 is "too slow"?
Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
And if you went back in a "time-machine" prior to C6 debut, you would see nothing to indicate the impact the C6 ultimately had. That's quite a logical disconnect above.
Disconnect? No.

Correct. In 2005 we didn’t anticipate what the C6, the Z06 in particular, would do for Corvette. It shook the sports car market. I feel that the C7 continues that momentum. Corvette still compares well to those cars that are 2x+ the price. The whole point is - markets are responding. Can the C8 continue the momentum? I hope so. But, Tesla is here now...and they continue to disrupt. Porsche is responding. Etc. that’s the logic. Not disconnected.

had the c4 and c5 been groundbreaking, we would have had theee same debates about c6.

Last edited by tonypittman; 03-02-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^
How is Tesla "disrupting" Corvette?
Old 03-02-2019, 05:52 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Electric will dominate drag racing (0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1000 feet) into the future.
ICE will continue to be the only realistic form of road racing for a very long time.
ICE will continue to be the only realistic form of coast to coast driving for a while.
A four wheel drive Eagle Talon can kick a Tesla S's *** on the quarter mile, lets not forget a big part of their get up and go is the traction of a drive motor on each axle. Electric vehicles have a long ways to go to actually dominate gas engines at the drag strip. They are a novelty. The Eagle Talon in the video below was probably worth $15k. Tesla is all about Elon, they don't track well, they are over priced , try getting something fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Consumer Reports just said they can't recommend the Model 3 due to quality issues. The Tesla S weighs about as much as my Ford Explorer, there is a reason the E1 racing guys doesn't go head to head with F1 cars, power to weight. Gov't subsidies and virtuous signalling, the cult of Elon, makes it work , for now.

The following 2 users liked this post by C7DriverOnt:
Rapid Fred (03-04-2019), vndkshn (03-04-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 06:34 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^
How is Tesla "disrupting" Corvette?
corvette owners and potential owners are getting increasingly intrigued by the tech advancements Tesla is pushing. Only non-suv I have considered apart from corvette in a very long time.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Depends on what you mean by "embraced."

It's coming. The only question is when.
We'll see. Commercial aircraft carry a whole different set of challenges than cars, like the need for quick turnaround time, and the need to keep weight low to avoid excessive drag-to-lift ratios resulting in even higher energy consumption. For a vehicle rolling on the ground, drag doesn't increase much as weight increases.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:58 PM
rudutch
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

As I understand this,

the C8 - which has not yet been released- is inadequate?

I find this mildly confusing
The following 2 users liked this post by rudutch:
jefnvk (03-05-2019), ShagVette (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:15 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Corvette and Tesla. Apples and oranges. If and when Tesla releases a Roadster, we'll see...
Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think you're missing the point of the guy's claim. He has a point. The more Chevy delays the C8, the more other cars come on the market that could hurt its sales.

That's true.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sin City:
jamesampm (03-05-2019), Philr56 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:23 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sin City
I think you're missing the point of the guy's claim. He has a point. The more Chevy delays the C8, the more other cars come on the market that could hurt its sales.

That's true.
exactly. Especially in a market that is being moved quickly by technology, with Tesla the main catalyst.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Disconnect? No.

Correct. In 2005 we didn’t anticipate what the C6, the Z06 in particular, would do for Corvette. It shook the sports car market. I feel that the C7 continues that momentum. Corvette still compares well to those cars that are 2x+ the price. The whole point is - markets are responding. Can the C8 continue the momentum? I hope so. But, Tesla is here now...and they continue to disrupt. Porsche is responding. Etc. that’s the logic. Not disconnected.

had the c4 and c5 been groundbreaking, we would have had theee same debates about c6.
Tony,
You need to bone up on your Corvette history...
In 1983, when it was intro'd, the C4 WAS groundbreaking
In 1997, when it was intro'd, the C5 WAS groundbreaking.
The C6 was NOT groundbreaking

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-02-2019 at 11:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Rapid Fred (03-04-2019), ShagVette (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:08 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sin City

That's true.
OK.
What sports car has come out in the last 6 months to 1 year (or is in the pipeline to come out in the next year) that will make someone say "To hell with the ME Corvette, I'm going to buy:..."
1.Toyota Supra?
2. BMW Z4?
3. Freshly UPDATED 911?
4. Tesla Roadster? (Anyone that believes THAT car will go on sale next year hasn't paid ANY attention to Tesla for the last FIVE years)

We all WANT the C8 to appear sooner rather than later, but acting like there's some massive group of NEW/CLEAN SHEET sports cars RIGHT around the corner is just flat WRONG.

And finally. What was the release date of the C8? How do YOU know the car is delayed?

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-02-2019 at 11:58 PM.
bgspot (03-05-2019), Telepierre (03-03-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...

Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
The preemptive strike was meant to be directed at me and several others. I went after his other videos as nonsense and self promoting, as he was claiming new information, which was not true it was just rehashed CF information.

exactly. Especially in a market that is being moved quickly by technology, with Tesla the main catalyst.
Got it Corvette owners are tired of waiting so they are buying Tesla's is what I read between the line because of the incredible technology.

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Corvette and Tesla. Apples and oranges. If and when Tesla releases a Roadster, we'll see...
Watched about 30 seconds and lost interest. Going to a Tesla store, which is going to disappear, really, so a 4 door electric sedan is drawing in Corvette owners or potential Corvette owners? Show us verifiable facts from a solid reputable source that potential C7/C8 owners are buying Tesla's instead.

My other problem is the speculation and the OP's opinion on a car that in reality does not even exist. How do we even know it is inadequate(Basing this on those that actually spent time watching it). Can he produce GM verified, facts on the C8 that will allow us to judge it being inadequate?
I am looking for actual GM specs and an official options list
This is the problem I have, all speculation and opinion that is presented in the form of facts on a video, or in a post.
I get the fact that potential C8 customers are impatient and might buy something else, but for everyone that walks, I would put money on a new one fills in, ONCE we actually have a car that GM has introduced as fact.
The C4, C5, C6, C7 Forums are filled those people.
Not hatred, not a keyboard warrior, just frustrated with people delivering nonsense as facts about the C8 when no one really knows, or even knows if it actually exists.
AND as I read, why is it late? Each generation runs 7-8 years, the C7 has been out for 6 years. So why is it late, based on past history?
Then comparing a non-existent car to a $300K Porsche???? I would venture to say if they made a $300K Corvette, nothing on this planet would touch it.

For all we know the "spy" pictures are of a new Fiero... and GM is bringing Pontiac back to life....
Had you laughing at that one I'll bet
The following users liked this post:
jimmyb (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:45 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^
Exactly correct.
I drove a friend's Model S FIVE years ago (the Model S has been in market LONGER than the C7). The OP drives one recently for the first time and decides that hoards of Corvette owners are so seduced by it that they will ignore the C8 because it's "too little/too late/too slow". The whole premise is just stupid.
Grzldvt1 (03-03-2019), ShagVette (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:09 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

corvette owners and potential owners are getting increasingly intrigued by the tech advancements Tesla is pushing. Only non-suv I have considered apart from corvette in a very long time.
No. YOU are "increasingly intrigued", which is great...you represent yourself, not "Corvette owners".. I won't speak for OTHER Corvette owners, for me....I have ZERO interest in a Tesla. It is NOT a sports car and I would not consider replacing my 2017 SS with a Tesla, and to say I would consider replacing my 2014 Stingray with a Tesla is just laughable.

Hell, let's do a pole...
Who here is considering replacing their current Corvette with ANY Tesla?
Who here will not wait on a C8 and will buy ANY Tesla instead?
The following users liked this post:
vndkshn (03-04-2019)

Quick Reply: OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...