Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^
Exactly correct.
I drove a friend's Model S FIVE years ago (the Model S has been in market LONGER than the C7). The OP drives one recently for the first time and decides that hoards of Corvette owners are so seduced by it that they will ignore the C8 because it's "too little/too late/too slow". The whole premise is just stupid.
Exactly. that is why I want t see verifiable facts from a reliable source that says Corvette owners are abandoning their cars/future purchases for a Tesla as the OP indicates is happening
Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

My poll answer is that currently Tesla does not even remotely picture in the what's next for my next sports car.

Looking at two years forward...I took a look at the Tesla Roadster. Practically, I am really impressed by the advertised range of the car. I am equally unimpressed by the price.

Shall see. First all electric sport I'll sit in is most likely the Taycan end of this year.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

These comparisons are amusing honestly at best. Corvette it's best bang for the buck track focused car you can get period. It punches well above it's weight and you get a serious car for what you pay. I love that aspect about the platform. However there's a line in the sand where when you start comparing 300k cars to it there's going to be a difference. Hey and there should be. High end Euro exotics are what they are. My buddies 15 458 is a work of art and AMAZING. I payed what I payed and am in love with my Callaway but to compare it in every regard to his car isn't fair at all. Even though my car is faster lol. Joking aside. When you get into that price range our vettes get shown up a bit. Hey I'm cool with that. His car is almost triple the price of mine. It better have better build quality etc. That doesn't diminish my car in any way. In fact when he drives my car he's always amazed at how the car ducts and handles price side he always walks away impressed. Keep in mind this dude can drive or buy pretty much any toy he wants.
The following 2 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
bgspot (03-05-2019), jefnvk (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

OK.
What sports car has come out in the last 6 months to 1 year (or is in the pipeline to come out in the next year) that will make someone say "To hell with the ME Corvette, I'm going to buy:..."
1.Toyota Supra?
2. BMW Z4?
3. Freshly UPDATED 911?
4. Tesla Roadster? (Anyone that believes THAT car will go on sale next year hasn't paid ANY attention to Tesla for the last FIVE years)

We all WANT the C8 to appear sooner rather than later, but acting like there's some massive group of NEW/CLEAN SHEET sports cars RIGHT around the corner is just flat WRONG.

And finally. What was the release date of the C8? How do YOU know the car is delayed?
I agree with the sentiment above.
And I’m reminded that we Corvette enthusiasts are only a small “piece of the pie” GM hopes to attract as purchasers of the C8. As my wife regularly reminds me “It’s not all about you, Dear.”
We, the dedicated “show-goers” arrived early for the show in aniticipation of what’s to come...and, like the comical car vacation query, continually ask, “Are we there yet?”

I’d say that for the majority (greater than 50 percent) of C8 purchasers, the timing will be just right.

Last edited by Vernon; 03-03-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon
I agree with the sentiment above.
And I’m reminded that we Corvette enthusiasts are only a small “piece of the pie” GM hopes to attract as purchasers of the C8. As my wife regularly reminds me “It’s not all about you, Dear.”
We, the dedicated “show-goers” arrived early for the show in aniticipation of what’s to come...and, like the comical car vacation query, continually ask, “Are we there yet?”

I’d say that for the majority (greater than 50 percent) of C8 purchasers, the timing will be just right.
This is 100% correct. Most Corvette buyer's that are considering a purchase this season aren't influenced much or at all by the C8 coming out or not. It's simply not on their radar. Unless you're a real car enthuiast or Corvette junky abd hang here all the time your not too concerned about. That's a fact. We are a monitory. A vocal monitory but still small in the pool of buyer's.
The following 2 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
Grzldvt1 (03-05-2019), jefnvk (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

^

I totally agree with the above. Many, who are active on this forum, seem to forget that they are a very tiny minority of Corvette owners. I'd venture to guess that it's never occurred to 90+% of Corvette owners to ponder whether or not there's been some sort of delay.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-03-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:15 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

I mistakenly thought there was some new updated C8 info to be had but alas, it's just another self promoting video based opinion. I will accept my keyboard warrior badge and wear it with honor.
The following 3 users liked this post by JDSKY:
Grzldvt1 (03-05-2019), jimmyb (03-03-2019), ShagVette (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

I'm surprised you are not looking at the electric Porsches which will debut the same time or before the c8. Taycan

Most tesla owners vow they will not buy another tesla and are going to audi and porsche EV's.

You're a few years late to jump on the tesla bandwagon now, when VW/porsche/audio might put tesla out of business in the next 2 years. Especially ironic since you bring up porsche, but not their electric cars that are coming. Please don't tell me its because you don't know about them.

I'm so sick of people who have limited knowledge of these cars and the car business in general, making youtube videos. Its a free country for them to make the videos, its a free country for me to say they are horrible videos.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:27 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm sure the C8 will do just fine and the least of its problems will be that it arrived 'late'.

I don't get the 'late' hand wringing, what are we 6 model years in? By the time it arrives we'll be @ what 7-8 model years of C7? If anything it seems like the C8 may arrive a bit SOONER than previous major generational changes of America's Sports Car. And it certainly won't cost GM sales. Are you kidding? That C8 prototype is about the hottest sports car I've ever seen.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:59 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm sure the C8 will do just fine and the least of its problems will be that it arrived 'late'.

I don't get the 'late' hand wringing, what are we 6 model years in? By the time it arrives we'll be @ what 7-8 model years of C7? If anything it seems like the C8 may arrive a bit SOONER than previous major generational changes of America's Sports Car. And it certainly won't cost GM sales. Are you kidding? That C8 prototype is about the hottest sports car I've ever seen.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
good points.

Just for reference, the C6 Z06 shocked the market, and outperformed many of these same expensive competitors. For example, it won the uk-based Top Gear “fast car of the year” award that year. Amazing. One of my favorite moments for Corvette, seeing Clarkson say it out loud!

I haven’t seen much to make me think the C8 will have the same impact...at least not the base. Maybe the Z06-like variant will have a chance!

Frankly, I am not expecting the C8 to be able to make that same impact...though I remain hopeful, because I am a huge Corvettr fan. The market is moving so fast!

On on the street, the Tesla performance models are for real. Track? Maybe not. Street - yes. Believe it.
This past Friday I was on a track and I passed a Tesla on the street. It was in Durango, Colorado.

To be fair in my posting I should mention that I was on a track consisting of two steel rails in a nice warm passenger car being pulled by a steam locomotive that was built in 1923 and burned coal(just like the Tesla). The Tesla was parked next to the railroad track in downtown Durango, and was not plugged onto a charger.

I bet I enjoyed my train ride up to Cascade Canyon from Durango(that had 4 feet of snow last weekend) more than the Tesla owner was enjoying his parked Tesla.

Oh, and we had no problem finding gasoline for the Tahoe while driving the 2,000 miles round trip to ride the train, and had no problem staying warm while driving in freezing drizzle across Oklahoma and Kansas or the snow in Colorado and Kansas. We used up absolutely no additional gasoline or experienced any loss of range while keeping the interior of the Tahoe toasty warm.

1920 technology sure is neat, both on the track(coal powered steam train) and on the street(gasoline powered vehicle)..

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vndkshn (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

We should ban youtube post whorring from the forum.
The following 10 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-04-2019), F4Gary (03-04-2019), Grzldvt1 (03-05-2019), JDSKY (03-04-2019), jimmyb (03-05-2019), Mikec7z (03-04-2019), oregonsharkman (03-05-2019), Randy Miller (03-04-2019), ShagVette (03-05-2019), vndkshn (03-04-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i dont mind youtube videos, im just sick of people who have nothing profound to teach us, making the videos. My own fault for hoping they will get better, and giving second and third chances.

How can you make a video about porsche and tesla... but not bring up porsche's electric cars that are probably going to put tesla out of business? ...How?

The dude is not all there.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-04-2019 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:18 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
We should ban youtube post whorring from the forum.
This. OP, your narcissism is showing. Total clickbait.
You took a short test drive in the city in a Tesla and took pictures of a Porsche and proclaimed them both better than a car you know very little about.
The following 4 users liked this post by F4Gary:
Grzldvt1 (03-05-2019), jimmyb (03-05-2019), Mikec7z (03-04-2019), ShagVette (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Tesla's cars are bland at best and ugly at worst. Just don't like the look. I couldn't scrounge up the money for the Porsche you mentioned but trading in my 16 stingray in a year or two and I could get the C8 which I think will probably compete very well with most anything within a hundred grand of it's cost. Saying the base model won't cut it against the Porsche you mentioned is a no-brainer. It's not meant to compete with that car. Compare it to comparably priced Porsche. Compare the top model C8 to the top model Porsche. Of course we don't even know what the top model will be or cost so it's kind of moot right now. As for being late it's better to get it right than get it quick IMO. Did like the video though, had some bad *** cars in it.

Last edited by Natrlone93; 03-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:44 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

No. YOU are "increasingly intrigued", which is great...you represent yourself, not "Corvette owners".. I won't speak for OTHER Corvette owners, for me....I have ZERO interest in a Tesla. It is NOT a sports car and I would not consider replacing my 2017 SS with a Tesla, and to say I would consider replacing my 2014 Stingray with a Tesla is just laughable.

Hell, let's do a pole...
Who here is considering replacing their current Corvette with ANY Tesla?
Who here will not wait on a C8 and will buy ANY Tesla instead?
Pretty much agree with this. I am "intrigued" by the Tesla. But i have no interest in replacing my corvette with a battery car. I'll only replace my vette with something like a Lambo or McLaren. My "intrigue" comes from the actual battery technology itself and the overall reduction of maintenance costs.

I think when they really nail down this whole battery thing and get the cost of battery cars down to say 20-25K, you'll see more of them and thats when i'll get one. But it will be as an everyday practical car, NOT as a replacement for the vette/fun/supercar.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
exactly. Especially in a market that is being moved quickly by technology, with Tesla the main catalyst.
Eh, the only thing that Tesla has really moved along is the long range, practical as a DD for most, no ICE helped plugin EV. Even that is quickly finding competitors. There isn't a lot else on the car that other manufacturers aren't also doing, and I would argue some of the moves made by Tesla WRT its "self-driving" tech and promises are actually hurting the AV market.

Quick Reply: OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...