Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:20 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Default OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...

I have learned that some do not appreciate when they don't get told right up front that a thread is opinion-based, and that it may relate to a video I also made on said opinion...so....WARNING!

I have been a Corvette fan to the core for over 20 years. During that stretch, I only owned one other sports car, and it was a BMW M3, for a very short period.

I've been along for the ride spanning C4, C5, C6, and C7. So, change does not scare me away from Corvette.

This C8 situation feels different.

After enduring this long period of speculation (so far), I finally took a look at some other options...including Tesla. I have to say....the C8 speculation does not make me feel great about where things are headed, compared to the pace the competition is setting.

The Tesla driving experience feels like....feels like the FUTURE.

Then, consider what Porsche is up to. Their track cars are once again beating the best Corvette has to offer, including the C7Zr1. Yes, they are still more expensive. But, I don't see the C8 (at least not the base C8) being much competition for the latest Porsche weaponry.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. I really do.

If...and only IF, you are interested in checking out more on this point of view, here is a video link:

If you are not interested at all in what I have to say on this point, that is just fine. Please continue on to other topics. No need to invest your time in posting hateration just pointing out that you are not interested.

(who would do that, you ask? Hmmm....yeah...good question! We may see them post here and identify themselves! )

Last edited by tonypittman; 03-02-2019 at 07:29 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by tonypittman:
ByByBMW (03-02-2019), HogwildC7 (03-04-2019), mwmanley (03-03-2019), Red67John (03-02-2019), sunsalem (03-03-2019), z8ra (03-02-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

03-04-2019, 12:02 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

We should ban youtube post whorring from the forum.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:44 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks for the video. Being a Corvette owner AND a Porsche owner, I pretty much agree with your comments. But I am still holding out hope, while I continue to love my C6 and my ME Boxster.
And you WILL get some hateration sorry to say.
The following users liked this post:
tonypittman (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,155 Likes on 516 Posts

Thanks for the video Tony. Knowing that Porsche used one off cheater tires to set these fast laps, it will be very interesting to see what the GT2RS can do with the runflat tires that Porsche will deliver the car with. I would think it will be a whole lot slower. Tesla is a flash in the pan. Without their help from the Federal and State govenments they wouldn't be in business. I do believe the absolute best source of C8 ME information will be found on this forum, Corvette Blogger, Corvette Action Center, and especially Mid Engine Corvette Forum. These four seem to hold the bulk of the most accurate info. I appreciate your efforts and hope the knuckle draggers on this forum refrain from their aggressive behavior. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Ok, I'll bite. I disagree on all parts of your video, but don't confuse that for hate. I just don't understand the comparisons or logic.

First, comparing a 300K P-car to C8 we are still only speculation about seems "out there" to me. You did mention the "base c8" too. If the base C8 can perform like a $300k special Porsche then GM has pulled a GIANT rabbit out of their hat. This is just not a reasonable expectation, so if your waiting to see if that is going to happen you should save some frustration and write the check for the Porsche already.

Second, is about Tesla. I don't understand why this brand is in consideration. Tesla does not even produce a sports car. For me, blistering acceleration is not enough. I want the handling, the braking, and the overall sports car dynamics. If Tesla can keep their heads above water long enough to produce their sports car then I will understand your comparison to Tesla for THAT car, but not the stuff they are currently selling.

Last, I disagree that the C8 is "late." GM has not announced the car, we don't know when it will arrive, and the C7 is only 6 years old.

My opinion? I think you got the itch for a new car and are growing impatient. If that is the case, go ahead and buy something, but when the C8 comes out I'm pretty sure you'll love it and want it. But..... we are going to have to wait and see
C7DriverOnt (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Last, I disagree that the C8 is "late." GM has not announced the car, we don't know when it will arrive, and the C7 is only 6 years old.
Depends on your reference point. I agree with this statement when looking at historical Corvette generation timing and considering GM's own schedule which hasn't announced the car yet. I agree with the OP in that using other leading competitors as a reference point, it looks as though GM will be late to the game with the ME C8. The ME concept would have been fresh 6 years ago with the launch of the C7 platform. In 2020, I'd like to be seeing an AWD hybrid powertrain; granted their are rumors of such a beast for later trim versions of the C8, going with the tired-old NA IC engine configuration in 2020 does seem to me as though GM will be "late". Sure to be great styling, electronic gizmos, etc., but as the OP points out the future is here with electrified powertrains. A base model C8 with ME boosted-IC engine and AWD with electric driving the fronts would be a real head-turner and make the C8 a standout car. For higher-end trims, beef up the internals, turn up the boost, bigger electric motors, active aero, etc... Clearly this is not the design. Just my opinion based on the discussion here.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:35 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

First, comparing a 300K P-car to C8 we are still only speculation about seems "out there" to me. You did mention the "base c8" too. If the base C8 can perform like a $300k special Porsche then GM has pulled a GIANT rabbit out of their hat. This is just not a reasonable expectation, so if your waiting to see if that is going to happen you should save some frustration and write the check for the Porsche already.
I liked the video, but as stated above, factoring in price on the Porsche, a highly modified C7, and a Tesla the same argument could be made against the C7 when it came out. The high end Porsche,highly modified C6 or a Tesla.would put the C7 Corvette "late" and "slow" to the show.

We all know how great the C7 is and even though it's not "king of the hill". It is one of the best "bang for the buck" sports cars out there (IMO). I'd wager the C8 will follow suit.

I am not a brand loyalist and appreciate all sports cars for what they bring to the table. With unlimited funds, I would probably not own a Corvette. A lot of cars out there are superior in build quality, and performance, but all are priced way beyond my means. That's not to say the Corvette isn't a fine car, it is. But to be fair, dollar for dollar, you'd be hard pressed to find a competitor that puts the Corvette to shame.

Base C8 will not beat a high end Porsche or a tricked out C7. Tesla is another animal all together. For a 4 door sedan and straight line acceleration it is "special" and could likely put some of those high end super cars to shame in a 0-60 1/4 mile run (if that is the benchmark one uses).

Again, not a hater nor a "fan boy", but one has to frame an argument fairly to make a valid point...
Old 03-02-2019, 11:42 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

The proper term is "haterade" lol.
LLK (03-04-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I skipped although I am a fellow long time Corvette owner and from Frisco to boot.

Six indicators out of 8 right on the first photogram indicate to me it is a non starter.

I don't know what was stated about the GT2RS but to be clear ALL advertised ring times from the cars belonging to the VW group since 2017 are certified FRAUDS. Just like their emissions.

Cheers.

Last edited by Telepierre; 03-02-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

I skipped when I saw the “big head” format of going around with his fam and friends to make anecdotal comments. Plus the Who-the-F-is-He factor- he’s not Demuro or anybody who been around long enough to get the Big Head format.

My $.02 is OP will get more views with his own parody of “Wrecking Ball.”

Last edited by Parcival; 03-02-2019 at 12:20 PM.
ShagVette (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:27 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Everybody wants something different.
Some people want performance.
Some people looks.
Some people exclusivity.
Maybe a combination.

I do agree that eventually some people will get bored of waiting and move on. Maybe GM will surprise us with something in this car. Hoping it is not a "meh" moment when it is released. I would be surprised if it is, but I can understand where you are coming from. We'll have to see.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:30 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Thanks for the video Tony. Knowing that Porsche used one off cheater tires to set these fast laps, it will be very interesting to see what the GT2RS can do with the runflat tires that Porsche will deliver the car with. I would think it will be a whole lot slower.
Maybe, but Corvettes aren't delivered with racing seats and harnesses and cages either, which their laps were undoubtedly set with and which help considerably, especially on a physical track like Nurburgring. If a car is going to be run on a track, one of the very first mods from street would be tires, I don't really see it as cheating set times on a track with track tires.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:39 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JCOB2
I'd like to be seeing an AWD hybrid powertrain; granted their are rumors of such a beast for later trim versions of the C8, going with the tired-old NA IC engine configuration in 2020 does seem to me as though GM will be "late".
Interesting perspective. Personally I don't see this as a race to change drivetrain technology. IC/ELEC hybrid is super cool but I don't think it is a must or that a race along a timeline for adopting this makes sense. Its all about the performance... right? I would be happy with something similar to what McLaren does with its rear drive 720s... which does out accelerate the NSX while only driving 2 wheels and no electric motors. I suspect we will be presented with a car that has a pretty conventional drivetrain with tuning and computer management that make the car perform very well. I expect the car to be a performance leader in its price range and probably outperforming many cars that are more expensive. I doubt we get an exotic. It will still be a Corvette and those wanting an exotic will need to shop a different car. Of course time will tell, but I think most of the grumbling is just impatience and that new car itch. ( I'm feeling it too )
Foosh (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
This C8 situation feels different.

After enduring this long period of speculation (so far), I finally took a look at some other options...including Tesla. I have to say....the C8 speculation does not make me feel great about where things are headed, compared to the pace the competition is setting.

Then, consider what Porsche is up to. Their track cars are once again beating the best Corvette has to offer, including the C7Zr1. Yes, they are still more expensive. But, I don't see the C8 (at least not the base C8) being much competition for the latest Porsche weaponry.
Rather strange comparisons, the Corvette versus the Porsche and Tesla.
The Corvette niche has always been a "best bang for the buck" car. I don't expect that to go away with the C8.

Regarding the Tesla, how long can it operate at maximum potential? Maybe for two or three laps on a typical racetrack (if it handled well enough for anyone to want to do that)?

The Tesla degrades in performance as the battery level goes down. Gasoline-powered vehicles do not suffer a degradation in performance as the fuel level goes down. Actually, they can increase in performance as the fuel level goes down, since the weight of the fuel load decreases.

Is your shtick aimed at generating controversy and clicks on your video, or did you really think things through, and have something meaningful to contribute?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-02-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I find it comical that the GT2RS costs more than a Huracan Performante. They are essentually about the same quickness around the track but one looks so much better and doesn't look like every otther Porsche on the road.

Interesting perspective. Personally I don't see this as a race to change drivetrain technology. IC/ELEC hybrid is super cool but I don't think it is a must or that a race along a timeline for adopting this makes sense. Its all about the performance... right? I would be happy with something similar to what McLaren does with its rear drive 720s... which does out accelerate the NSX while only driving 2 wheels and no electric motors. I suspect we will be presented with a car that has a pretty conventional drivetrain with tuning and computer management that make the car perform very well. I expect the car to be a performance leader in its price range and probably outperforming many cars that are more expensive. I doubt we get an exotic. It will still be a Corvette and those wanting an exotic will need to shop a different car. Of course time will tell, but I think most of the grumbling is just impatience and that new car itch. ( I'm feeling it too )
Yes McLaren is doing it the right way they are lowering weight in their cars. The 720s is like 800 pounds lighter than the NSX, being that heavy also makes handling not as good for the NSX.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:14 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Electric is the future

Originally Posted by tonypittman

Sure. Electric is the future. Don't know how much longer the ICE will hold out...

But one thing will be true going well into the future--Corvette offers the best combination of performance and value IN THE WORLD. BY FAR. There is no close second place. Not Porsche. Not Tesla.

"Porsches are finally beating Corvettes again" You left the second part out: "After getting their asses kicked so badly for years, Corvette had to move UP a class."

Tesla makes an interesting car. They also have A LOT of problems. You wanna take a Tesla on a road trip or an ME Corvette? Something Mr. Musk is learning the hard way: Building reliable cars en masse is HARD.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:43 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Sure. Electric is the future. Don't know how much longer the ICE will hold out...
Electric will dominate drag racing (0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1000 feet) into the future.
ICE will continue to be the only realistic form of road racing for a very long time.
ICE will continue to be the only realistic form of coast to coast driving for a while.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:51 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default the problem with time and predictions

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Electric will dominate drag racing (0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1000 feet) into the future.
ICE will continue to be the only realistic form of road racing for a very long time.
ICE will continue to be the only realistic form of coast to coast driving for a while.
I don't know what either a "very long time" nor "for a while" actually mean. We'll see.

Get notified of new replies

To OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...

Old 03-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
I'll add that battery-powered propulsion has not been embraced by the commercial aircraft industry.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:55 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Battery powered aircraft

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I'll add that battery-powered propulsion has not been embraced by the commercial aircraft industry.
Depends on what you mean by "embraced."

It's coming. The only question is when.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

So, in MY opinion, if you want to make a living on YouTube, one way to do it is negative videos. And I'm not sure how the Porsche GT2RS became the target for a base Corvette? Using the fastest (and most expensive) Porsche is disingenuous at best and patently silly at worst, IMO. Here's Car and Driver Lightning Lap historical....GT2RS is the fastest ever, followed by the C7 ZR1.
And the C7ZR1 is CONSIDERABLY FASTER than the "other" Porsche track cars (GT3/GT3RS) as is the C7 Z06.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

The current car (C7) is a flat out home run as a track car.
Look at the 10 fastest times....TWO cars are close to the C7ZR1 in price (AMG GT-R and Viper ACR). It is notable also that Corvette is the ONLY car with TWO places in the top 10 (#2 and #10).
It is, IMO, and easy assumption that the base C8 will be faster than a C7GS. Again, the lap times show that a C7GS is ONE TENTH of a second slower than the GT3 (new generation) and GT3RS (2017 model), even though it gives up HP and is heavier. Care to explain that? Because ONE TENTH of a second on a 4+ mile road course is NOTHING.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-02-2019 at 11:55 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by jimmyb:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-02-2019), bgspot (03-05-2019), Grzldvt1 (03-02-2019), IronV (03-03-2019), Philr56 (03-02-2019)

Quick Reply: OPINION, VIDEO - C8 is too little, too late...