Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Deposit - Kerbeck List

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:43 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
And just to add what I was saying above, in 2005 I walked into my local Ferrari dealer and put my name on a list to order the recently released F430 Spider. No deposit was required to be on the list. When they finally called me to come in and order the car, I did so and ordered a well optioned car, red with tan interior. Window sticker was $285,000.00. No deposit was required to order the car. I would, not for one second, consider ordering any car when, at the time of ordering, a 5% of MSRP deposit needed to be paid and, along with the original $1000.00 deposit, was non refundable. Let's say the MSRP was $80,000.00. That's $5000.00 non refundable at the time of ordering. The car arrives, you don't want it for whatever reason, you are out 5K and the dealer has no problem selling it to someone else. No thank you.
So, you think a Ferrari purchase and a Corvette purchase are the same?
Ferrari dealers are protected regionally (on new cars). So, if you live in L.A., you can't order a new Ferrari from the Denver dealer. On new cars, Ferrari dealers are NOT competing with each other for the new Ferrari buyer, only other brands (Lamborghini, McLaren, etc...)
A Corvette buyer can order from ANY Chevy dealer, ANY where.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-09-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So, you think a Ferrari purchase and a Corvette purchase are the same?
Ferrari dealers are protected regionally (on new cars). So, if you live in L.A., you can't order a new Ferrari from the Denver dealer. On new cars, Ferrari dealers are NOT competing with each other for the new Ferrari buyer, only other brands (Lamborghini, McLaren, etc...)
A Corvette buyer can order from ANY Chevy dealer, ANY where.
So what is your point?
Old 03-09-2019, 03:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Sin City
No price, no delivery date, no photos, no specs.

IMO, this is really pre-mature. And it's anti-competition. Locking your money up at one dealer stops you from looking at others.

"Yes, we will get you one of the first ones from your deposit.... here's your price. Don't like it? I'll give you your money back and goes to the next guy".

IMO these kinds of tactics only hurt dealer/ customer relationships in the long run. People are upset it's taking so long, that what they wanted is not what is offered and they are disappointed, that others get their cars before they did, that its money spent that restricts your freedom of choice.

I can understand when the car is released publicly, prices announced, and specs released. At least you know what you are buying and for how much. And what if Chevy finds another technical problem and delays the release again? That's not possible?

For heaven's sake -- at least wait for the MSRP!
It all sounds somewhat logical. But, what you probably know is that the GM process doesn't follow what some would consider to be "logical buying rules." GM has its own process and the two don't always match up. For this reason, some dealers do make a list of those who are interested. With respect to your last sentence, you do know that pricing in any given year can come way after orders can be taken by dealers---as much as 1-2 months. Many might consider this odd, but dealers and buyers who put in their orders use this system. Orders are taken, put into production and just before they're being produced, the numbers come out as to what the car and its options will cost.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
No price, no delivery date, no photos, no specs.

IMO, this is really pre-mature. And it's anti-competition. Locking your money up at one dealer stops you from looking at others.

"Yes, we will get you one of the first ones from your deposit.... here's your price. Don't like it? I'll give you your money back and goes to the next guy".

IMO these kinds of tactics only hurt dealer/ customer relationships in the long run. People are upset it's taking so long, that what they wanted is not what is offered and they are disappointed, that others get their cars before they did, that its money spent that restricts your freedom of choice.

I can understand when the car is released publicly, prices announced, and specs released. At least you know what you are buying and for how much. And what if Chevy finds another technical problem and delays the release again? That's not possible?

For heaven's sake -- at least wait for the MSRP!
Guess what, they are taking deposits for pre-orders of the F8, don't know the MSRP, don't know the delivery date ( thinking 1st quarter of 2020, assuming no delays ), don't know all the options..
A $1,000 is a pretty cheap investment for those of us with ADD. Like the song from Queen, "I want it all and I want it now".
I don't think too many people are going to complain they lost $10- $15 in interest tying up their money if they don't like the car. But if they love it, it's money well spent.
Like the old saying goes...'Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:09 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

So what is your point?
My point is that YOUR deposit free Ferrari is a LOT less painful for YOUR Ferrari dealer when he knows YOU are a captured customer....you can't go to another Ferrari dealer in another area and order a car. Want a Ferrari? YOU HAVE ONE DEALER CHOICE.
A Corvette dealer does not have that substantial sense of security on a new car order (especially a NEW generation Corvette).
When the C7 was coming on line, there were LOTS of guys on this very forum that had refundable deposits at MULTIPLE dealers. Who ever got an allocation first, got the order. The rest....well they processed paperwork to receive and then return this guy's money and got NOTHING for the trouble.

If you can't see how this different, I can't explain it any clearer.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-09-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:32 PM
RPMaddiction
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com

Yes, you'll get a number once we have your deposit. However, you need to look bigger. Since we average over 100 new cars per currently, I'd like to think #50 on our list would be a very, very early car. Of course I don't know what our allocation is yet, but if it's based on recent sales I'd like to think we can keep close to our average. Here's keeping our fingers crossed!

Dave
I had to snail mail the check and paperwork. I wish you guys had a digital option in this age other than wire. Paypal, Apple Pay, Venmo, Bitcoin, etc. lol. Every spot counts.
The following users liked this post:
AEmedic (03-09-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:28 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
My point is that YOUR deposit free Ferrari is a LOT less painful for YOUR Ferrari dealer when he knows YOU are a captured customer....you can't go to another Ferrari dealer in another area and order a car. Want a Ferrari? YOU HAVE ONE DEALER CHOICE.
A Corvette dealer does not have that substantial sense of security on a new car order (especially a NEW generation Corvette).
When the C7 was coming on line, there were LOTS of guys on this very forum that had refundable deposits at MULTIPLE dealers. Who ever got an allocation first, got the order. The rest....well they processed paperwork to receive and then return this guy's money and got NOTHING for the trouble.

If you can't see how this different, I can't explain it any clearer.
I live in L.A. There are 4 Ferrari dealers in So Cal.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:45 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

I won't be leaving a deposit with Kerbeck because I live in the wrong state. So, why don't they sell to people living in MT, OR, NH, or AK?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
I won't be leaving a deposit with Kerbeck because I live in the wrong state. So, why don't they sell to people living in MT, OR, NH, or AK?
Assume those state's laws. Quick search shows no car tax?
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Assume those state's laws. Quick search shows no car tax?
No sales tax here in Oregon.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
The car still doesn't exist?
Take that up with Sin City. He's the one who made that suggestion as a bona fide reason to not put down a deposit, not me. My major point is to address those people who take issue with a dealer's policy on this. It is completely valid for you to object to this policy and not participate because of it. That's your right and no one should deny that to you. But to imply or suggest that OTHER people should not take advantage of such a policy is beyond anyone's remit. It's none of their business. I and other people are perfectly capable of taking care of ourselves.
The following users liked this post:
ShagVette (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by *C7*
This is real simple guys. If the dealer did not require a nonrefundable deposit there would be all kinds of "*** clowns" that would order 10 cars from 10 dealers and take the 1st one that came in.

The $1,000.00 deposit with Kerbeck, IS fully refundable.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:02 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

I live in L.A. There are 4 Ferrari dealers in So Cal.
And you can order a new car from any of the 4?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:56 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

The $1,000.00 deposit with Kerbeck, IS fully refundable.
I was speaking of the 5% deposit you pay when you order the car.

It is NON REFUNDABLE
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Should it be refundable if built for you?

If you are ordering a car built to order with your custom features and colors you want, why would you think the dealer would refund your deposit?
If you walk away when car comes in , they may own an ugly color combo with silly non matching interior and be stuck with the other 95% of the cars cost.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:38 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by faninc
If you are ordering a car built to order with your custom features and colors you want, why would you think the dealer would refund your deposit?
If you walk away when car comes in , they may own an ugly color combo with silly non matching interior and be stuck with the other 95% of the cars cost.

Am I missing something?
Read my post #77.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 PM
faninc
Drifting

Received 637 Likes on 364 Posts

Default Bingo! On same page...

Not sure who thinks the deposit on a specifically ordered car should have a refundable deposit?

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Deposit - Kerbeck List

Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^
Obviously some here....
Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by faninc
Not sure who thinks the deposit on a specifically ordered car should have a refundable deposit?
What if your brand new car comes in damaged?

Last edited by Michael A; 03-11-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:45 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
What if your brand new car comes in damaged?
Walk, with 100% of your deposit returned.

.. As we learned from the guy on C7, Forum last week who rejected a damaged new ZR1- it's the manufacturer's responsibility to make it right. Not the Chev. dealer's. And when the Chevrolet dealer didn't make it right - the dealership owner angrily blamed the customer that walked on the car. And said; don't come back!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-11-2019 at 01:47 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 Deposit - Kerbeck List