Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else losing interest because of the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:27 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I Just wished GM marketing could of handled the messaging of the C8 ME instead of all the social media driving the message.

If we think about how the world has change since the first time we noticed a test mule of the C7. We NOW have something part of all our lives called social media. We have Twitter, Youtube channels, pod cast and other platforms that have grown to be part of our daily lives that I think is helping fuel our frustrations. I believe some of them have good intentions while others are just trying to be first to post information about the ME while a few are trying to get extra clicks to help their sites. Their are more social media platforms today with people posting as being the insider exclusive with many just speculating about information they heard as facts when we have no way to validate what they are saying. We have become an instant gratification society, I just don't think GM knows how to handle the messaging and is just taking a do nothing approach. I believe all this is helping fuel the frustrations over this next generation corvette.

Think of a few things we have heard so far that can't be validated till its announced by GM. I could have spent days filling in the below.

• Halo car starting at a msrp of 169k
  • Not called a corvette and could be a Cadillac
  • Flat plane crank dual overhead cam twin turbo 700 to 1000 HP
  • 48 volt system replacing the 24v
  • Issues with the frame
  • Active areodynamics, so far no test mules.
  • Reveal at P Beach 2018,2019 and numerous other car shows next is New York show. Or now possibly in May
  • FE is the C8 and the ME is called a Zora and it won't be a C8
  • A8 Automatic no DCT trans
  • A special type of manual transmission option or No manual
  • Corvette will be a stand alone brand,
  • It won't be a Chevrolet,
  • BG will be building a Corvette SUV that is why BG has the extra space
  • New updated FE is being tested and will be shown at the same time as the ME.
It's truly mind boggling how much content about this new mid-engine corvette has been posted. So far GM has not even announced that the ME is even under development. I been on a list since early 2016 and I expected by now to have one of these Unicorns in my garage. I am patiently waiting I am just tired of all the BS.
No doubt for the very committed enthusiasts like yourself, the wait is hugely frustrating.
Thank you for the “speculation” summary.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
Yes, and that ship already sailed for me, GM is an 800 pound snail and life is way too short to wait for anything that long, I ordered a GT3 Touring (my first ever P-Car).
Congrats. Enjoy your P-car!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 AM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree that the wait is getting to be a little bit ridiculous, however considering the drastic change in platform I guess it is somewhat expected. What I think will really **** people off is the wait for the high-performance version!

If they take another two years to come out with the Z06 or whatever they call it you’re talking almost 3 years from now.

I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting to get another toy now that my kids are older. I’m seriously considering a redeye with 800 hp is a bridge. Basically the question has become what can I do that will give me a lot of fun and won’t rape me financially.

Either a very slightly used Z06 or a $70,000 dodge either way you’re going to lose 20 to 30 grand over 2 to 3 years until the hypo version C8.

But I agree the wait is getting to be ridiculous and I would never buy a base car of anything.

I’ve made the same comment about the ZR1. They always make the ZR1 so late in a model cycle that if you buy one you get absolutely raped financially.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 AM
Corvette 1467
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blk05coupe
Since I wasn't a fan of the C7 I started considering a R8, Gallardo and 911 but put those plans on hold when the ME rumors began. It's now been a couple years and all we have is cars running around in camo, not even confirmation from GM that the car exists let alone an unveiling or launch date. Spring is around the corner and as much as I love my C6 I've had it for 13 years (longest ever) I have a need for change and its looking like it may not end up being another corvette. Anyone else going through the same decision process.
regards
mike
yes I lost interest about a month ago...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:13 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I have yet to see a "controlled leak" that was official in any way whatsoever.
It's just been rumors IMO.

"Unreliable product?"
GM has been working on a ME for nearly decade!
How the hell could it be unreliable at this point in time?
If I were a betting man, those CAD drawings were released intentionally. No sane human being would risk their job on something as silly as a post count. Especially considering how easy it would be for them to track who did it. That's just my opinion anyway. Not a controlled leak in that sense but just adding fuel to the fire I suppose is a better way to describe it.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I Just wished GM marketing could of handled the messaging of the C8 ME instead of all the social media driving the message.

If we think about how the world has change since the first time we noticed a test mule of the C7. We NOW have something part of all our lives called social media. We have Twitter, Youtube channels, pod cast and other platforms that have grown to be part of our daily lives that I think is helping fuel our frustrations. I believe some of them have good intentions while others are just trying to be first to post information about the ME while a few are trying to get extra clicks to help their sites. Their are more social media platforms today with people posting as being the insider exclusive with many just speculating about information they heard as facts when we have no way to validate what they are saying. We have become an instant gratification society, I just don't think GM knows how to handle the messaging and is just taking a do nothing approach. I believe all this is helping fuel the frustrations over this next generation corvette.

Think of a few things we have heard so far that can't be validated till its announced by GM. I could have spent days filling in the below.

• Halo car starting at a msrp of 169k
  • Not called a corvette and could be a Cadillac
  • Flat plane crank dual overhead cam twin turbo 700 to 1000 HP
  • 48 volt system replacing the 24v
  • Issues with the frame
  • Active areodynamics, so far no test mules.
  • Reveal at P Beach 2018,2019 and numerous other car shows next is New York show. Or now possibly in May
  • FE is the C8 and the ME is called a Zora and it won't be a C8
  • A8 Automatic no DCT trans
  • A special type of manual transmission option or No manual
  • Corvette will be a stand alone brand,
  • It won't be a Chevrolet,
  • BG will be building a Corvette SUV that is why BG has the extra space
  • New updated FE is being tested and will be shown at the same time as the ME.
It's truly mind boggling how much content about this new mid-engine corvette has been posted. So far GM has not even announced that the ME is even under development. I been on a list since early 2016 and I expected by now to have one of these Unicorns in my garage. I am patiently waiting I am just tired of all the BS.
Spot on post... GM's tactic of "doing nothing" doesn't work in the 24hr news, social media, instant info society we live in. People are faulting GM for dragging this out when the reality is GM hasn't even started anything. The difference is the media has changed and the mid-engine Corvette is of such interest that we have seen every scrap of info available from the first Holden Ute mule sighting in January 2015. So we've had 4 years of "The C8 Mid Engine is Coming".

That said.... what should GM do. How can they combat or manage social media? You can't control the narrative when the product isn't ready. I'm curious if there are any marketing professionals on here? Harlan seems to know his stuff and the roll-out of the C7 was done very well. I was foaming at the mouth and expected Porsche quality for Corvette prices. They did such a good job selling attention to detail and quality that my C7 was disappointing in it's fit/finish, mine was far worse than any C5 I owned.

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Nope,I lost interest when GM announced it was shutting plants based purely on greed. No more GM for me.
Greed? You mean wanting to stay afloat in a rapidly changing market? Yes... lets keep building cars nobody wants. China is going to steamroll us by sheer population consumer buying power if we don't adapt.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:55 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
it is a problem... but the other side of the coin is that people may not buy the C7 s if they are waiting for the next thing.
This to a T. I'm in that boat. I've gone and looked at cars on lots several times, talked deals, talked about ordering a car, but I am on hold because my luck, I'll do that and GM will release the ME the day after I order and am locked in and I'll want to switch.

Or, the ME could come out and I not like it and I run down to the dealer to see if I can still order a Z06 or have them find a car close enough to what I would want and buy it.

I've got money burning a hole in my pocket so to speak, but I'm not moving on anything at this time. But to the point of the thread, I am starting to lose some interest in general and some other cars are starting to catch my eye, and most importantly, my wife's eye.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Are we really "waiting" that long. When did GM ever promise a delivery date for the first C8? The negative Nellies don't get a reveal when they want it and resort to a bunch of childish speculation about a plethora of rumored problems, laughable.
The following 2 users liked this post by punky:
CorvettoBrando (03-09-2019), rramjet (03-17-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

I’m in no hurry. I’ve had my C7 for 4 years and plan on keeping it at least another two. Still smile every time I get in.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

For some of us, priorities in life change. The longer the wait the less likely the enthusiasm to buy. I think my enthusiasm is waning.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

The executive branch of GM has recently gone through many changes and what are their feeling about a low production sports car for a limited amount of aging buyers?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:19 AM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
what do you like about the NSX as compared to your Corvette? I went from a C7 to 991.2 C2S and I love it as well. I too will consider a ME C8 but I have also liked the new NSX’s. Just curious. Thanks
Mr. Vette was dated and I could afford to move up.

The NSX is a BARGIN when compared to all the other ME's.

Considered one step below a 918.

Handling and ride are bitchin.

AWD with great looks.

Even the PORSCHE guys like it!

Last edited by heavymetals; 03-07-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by blk05coupe
Since I wasn't a fan of the C7 I started considering a R8, Gallardo and 911 but put those plans on hold when the ME rumors began. It's now been a couple years and all we have is cars running around in camo, not even confirmation from GM that the car exists let alone an unveiling or launch date. Spring is around the corner and as much as I love my C6 I've had it for 13 years (longest ever) I have a need for change and its looking like it may not end up being another corvette. Anyone else going through the same decision process.
regards
mike
With all the hype about an impending release and then GM delaying has put a damper on my enthusiasm.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
If I were a betting man, those CAD drawings were released intentionally. No sane human being would risk their job on something as silly as a post count.
There are PLENTY of insane people in this country now days...
Originally Posted by heavymetals

The NSX is a BARGIN when compared to all the other ME's.
I agree.
As I understand it, Acura is currently giving them away.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I too have been getting frustrated with the long wait of an acknowledgement/announcement of the C8 mid engine Corvette!
With that said, I am not losing interest in the C8. Too many unknowns right now with just rumors and speculation about everything and nothing concrete.
I will say that I will be content to keep my '19 Stingray manual Convertible knowing that the first year cars will be MSRP or more and more than likely not be offered with a manual transmission.Will just to be patient and wait and see.....what else can we do?
Old 03-07-2019, 03:23 PM
nexxis
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm losing interest, and making a decision this summer. And if there's a big markup because dealers spew that "market increase because it's such a hot car right now" line, I'll be gone so fast, the door will come off its hinges
Old 03-07-2019, 03:52 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

There are PLENTY of insane people in this country now days...
Fair enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else losing interest because of the wait?

Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

As I understand it, Acura is currently giving them away.
Nope, if you want a new one you have to order it.

Try not to gag on those sour grapes.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:26 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Default I'm bored

Yes I am bored, the camo images show an uninspired car underneath. It will probably cost too much and it will damage the Corvette persona that has been developed over many years.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

They will come out when they come out.

BTW Aston Martin front engine icon just announced two new ME super cars Vanquish & Project 003 at the Geneva show.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-07-2019 at 08:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John T (03-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Anyone else losing interest because of the wait?